COVID

coachg

I heard Loveland has a positive COVID result adn the whole team is now quarantined for 14 days at home. That will put a kink into tryouts..

I heard Loveland has a positive COVID result adn the whole team is now quarantined for 14 days at home. That will put a kink into tryouts..
Thats going to make it very difficult to compete if it happens in the middle of the season. I know it has happened with other teams as well.

I feel bad for the players. My opinion is that we will be lucky if schools make it thru the fall semester with in school classes. I think playing contact sports will only increase the odds that in school classes do not continue ... just my silly opinion.

Last edited:
Just in general but this whole situation is calling into question how much risk aversion is too much risk aversion? Just about every org and business is scared out of its mind for liability concerns no matter how infinitesimal the liability might be in reality. The numbers don't lie but we have stopped looking at the numbers. What I am wondering, and I am very serious about this, what happens if we are sitting her a year from now and none of the therapeutics or vaccines are effective? Do we as a society continue down this road of risk aversion?

JUST STOP!!! Ya'll know there is not ONE documented case WORLDWIDE of a student giving a teacher COVID, right? (so don't bother with your 'Sally might bring home COVID to Granny' nonsense). Ya'll also know that 99% of HS age kids don't even KNOW they have COVID since they are A-symptomatic right? Let the kids PLAY.

Last edited by a moderator:
JUST STOP!!! Ya'll know there is not ONE documented case WORLDWIDE of a student giving a teacher COVID, right? (so don't bother with your 'Sally might bring home COVID to Granny' nonsense). Ya'll also know that 99% of HS age kids don't even KNOW they have COVID since they are A-symptomatic right? Let the kids PLAY.
Listen, I want and hope that the kids get to play sports this Fall. From an in-game standpoint, the risk of transmission is low. Big outdoor field, lots of moving around, the amount of close contact between players is low......the issue is more about players on the same team, coming into close contact on benches, huddles, locker rooms, bus rides, etc. In any event, while there is no documented case of a student giving a teacher COVID-19, there are documented cases of an aysmptomatic person bringing home the disease only to have a parent or grandparent die (especially if those parents or grandparents were in an at-risk group - diabetic, obese, over 65 years of age, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc). So, while we can debate the level of risk, the risk is real

Chris Hassel

@Hassel_Chris

Iowa HS baseball season ends tonight (only state where HS sports have taken place since pandemic) It wasn’t exactly smooth sailing with Covid but: - 94% of teams were unaffected - 96% finished season - all infections reportedly mild - fans were allowed all season

I feel for you, the documented evidence of low to negligible transmission is in Germany and Iceland but noone is paying attention to studies or data anymore. It is all about risk aversion and the fact that we have already committed down this road and no one wants to say maybe we were wrong.

We all know its been turned into a political weapon, being used to divide people and instill public fear. The problem is we don't treat other illnesses, viruses, self induced deaths they way we are treating this. Its all out of control bc we have an up coming election and the media and politicians wants to stay relevant. People need to wake up and live.

Bases ... I guess that you did not read about the study results.
I did. Kids don't transmit to older folks. Older folks transmit to kids. Now this would be the German and Icelandic studies. I would also look at Sweden's policy where they did shut off large gatherings but kept the kids in school and I would finally look at our deaths in 2020 versus previous years where until very recently we were tracking to lower number of deaths in 2020 versus 2018. That has changed recently but I am willing to wait until the end of the year. Regardless, I would say that this is one of the least deadly epidemics/pandemics in human history. But, like I posted above, the fear of liability (although unfounded) has scared every club and school in the country. I hope we come up with something soon that restored people's confidence in the human condition.

Last edited:
What we need to do is simply turn the TV, radio and social media off. Those devices have single highhandedly panicked the country into paralysis.

I did. Kids don't transmit to older folks. Older folks transmit to kids. Now this would be the German and Icelandic studies. I would also look at Sweden's policy where they did shut off large gatherings but kept the kids in school and I would finally look at our deaths in 2020 versus previous years where until very recently we were tracking to lower number of deaths in 2020 versus 2018. That has changed recently but I am willing to wait until the end of the year. Regardless, I would say that this is one of the least deadly epidemics/pandemics in human history. But, like I posted above, the fear of liability (although unfounded) has scared every club and school in the country. I hope we come up with something soon that restored people's confidence in the human condition.
The key differences between COVID-19 and other pandemic/epidemics, like Swine Flu and SARS are as follows: (1) COVID-19 is contagious before symptoms appear, making it harder to control the spread than the flu (some patients report no symptoms at all, however, they can be contagious as well) (2) On an individual case basis, the flu is more deadly than COVID-19, in the absolute, COVID-19 is deadlier because it spread easier, thereby infecting more people; which can lead to more total deaths (3) The reason why the absolute number of deaths for COVID-19 is lower than previous flu epidemics is because of the shut-downs...Note that it only took 5 months for the US to reach 150,000 COVID-19 related deaths. With that said, part of me thinks that we did not need to shut every single thing down like we did. However, this was/is a brand new highly contagious virus that was showing the ability to rapidly kill hundreds of thousands in a short amount of time. So, most governments aired on the side of caution. Hopefully, as we learn more, we can be allowed to open up certain activities like high school sports (with the right safety protocols in place)

The key differences between COVID-19 and other pandemic/epidemics, like Swine Flu and SARS are as follows: (1) COVID-19 is contagious before symptoms appear, making it harder to control the spread than the flu (some patients report no symptoms at all, however, they can be contagious as well) (2) On an individual case basis, the flu is more deadly than COVID-19, in the absolute, COVID-19 is deadlier because it spread easier, thereby infecting more people; which can lead to more total deaths (3) The reason why the absolute number of deaths for COVID-19 is lower than previous flu epidemics is because of the shut-downs...Note that it only took 5 months for the US to reach 150,000 COVID-19 related deaths. With that said, part of me thinks that we did not need to shut every single thing down like we did. However, this was/is a brand new highly contagious virus that was showing the ability to rapidly kill hundreds of thousands in a short amount of time. So, most governments aired on the side of caution. Hopefully, as we learn more, we can be allowed to open up certain activities like high school sports (with the right safety protocols in place)
SO MUCH incorrect, left obsessed 4am talking points in this insane post. SHUT DOWNS CAUSED MORE HARM THAN HELP. Its like a doctor telling you "you have cancer. Stay home for 14 days, then we can re-evaluate." COMPLETE INSANITY. Give every kid HCQ and let them play-there would be ZERO NEW CASES. (well unless you listen to Lester, CNN, Rachel and the rest of those whackos) COVID CURED ALL OTHER DISEASES AND DEATHS!!!

I disagree with some of your statements only because the data you quote is skewed and there have been other statements by respectable physicians that seem to contradict the statements of other respectable physicians. For example, I think everyone agrees that COVID-19 is virulent. Maybe the most virulent virus that has infected the globe in a very long time. However, there is significant disagreement as to whether asymptomatic infected individuals spread the infection because by the very fact that they are asymptomatic means that they don't have the coughing or the sneezing that actually spreads the virus. Secondly, despite the 150,0000 number deaths by Covid often quoted, deaths by other means are way down. Including cancer, heart attack, etc. And if you doubt me, just look at the total number of deaths against pervious years and you will find until just recently, the US was tracking to fewer deaths in 2020 than we had in 2018. The last I looked, we are now tracking to a 6% increase versus the last five year average. But like I said before, I will be curious as to how that number works out by the end of the year. And finally, other than the first shut down, to get a handle on things, all the additional shutdowns have done is stretch out the pandemic because I actually agree with Dr. Acton's first statement that over 100k Ohions had been infected before she shut down the state. This means the death rate versus the infection rate is way lower than any number that has been quoted by the "experts" And finally, finally, we know who is vulnerable to this virus. Over 50% of deaths in Ohio are from retirement homes and yet here we are opening the homes up to visitation. No matter how you slice it, this "epidemic" is going to turn out to be one of the weakest on record.

Last edited: