COVID-19 testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

5ptthrow

All, I know many of you are coaches and have to chose your words carefully with athletes and parents etc. but for love of God in any way you can we have to STOP people from going to get tested at these “free pop up testing sites”. This isn’t a political post it’s a practical one. There is so much data and literature out there for you to your own research on how faulty these tests are. Hell, if the fact that our own Governor testing positive and then oops negative pretty much right away didn’t wake people up I am not sure what will. The case count is killing us - as the vast majority of them are asymptotic and who even knows how many are false positives to begin with. Anyone notice how it’s flu season and the COVID numbers have skyrocketed while flu cases seem to be almost nonexistent? While this is not a political post I think you’re kidding yourself if you don’t believe that COVID is being used as the greatest political power grab in American history. Viruses do not go way, we have to keep ourselves healthy and those who are vulnerable should make their own decisions regarding their health (wearing a mask staying at home etc). Even if 5 of you read this post and agree with it but then go and share with another 5 people who might also agree - it can have a snowball effect.

be a part of the solution - not part of the problem
STOP GETTING TESTED

All, I know many of you are coaches and have to chose your words carefully with athletes and parents etc. but for love of God in any way you can we have to STOP people from going to get tested at these “free pop up testing sites”. This isn’t a political post it’s a practical one. There is so much data and literature out there for you to your own research on how faulty these tests are. Hell, if the fact that our own Governor testing positive and then oops negative pretty much right away didn’t wake people up I am not sure what will. The case count is killing us - as the vast majority of them are asymptotic and who even knows how many are false positives to begin with. Anyone notice how it’s flu season and the COVID numbers have skyrocketed while flu cases seem to be almost nonexistent? While this is not a political post I think you’re kidding yourself if you don’t believe that COVID is being used as the greatest political power grab in American history. Viruses do not go way, we have to keep ourselves healthy and those who are vulnerable should make their own decisions regarding their health (wearing a mask staying at home etc). Even if 5 of you read this post and agree with it but then go and share with another 5 people who might also agree - it can have a snowball effect.

STOP GETTING TESTED

Hmmm, the local stories that I'm hearing from hospital workers about the hospitals around me getting full and ERs having to convert beds to COVID rooms must be false then. The other part that I'm hearing is about the hospitals also being short staffed do to front line workers getting it. This must be a ploy as well.

Number of positive tests is not the problem, the number of ICU and hospitalizations with positive covid 19 is the problem. Workers and hospitals are close to the breaking point because pinheads going out and infecting people or going to family functions when sick. People who get tested are usually conscious of others and typically quarantine, thank you. Tell this to the hospital workers or the families of the icu people. you are the guy who is shining the deck will the boat is sinking, telling everyone don't slip and you'll be ok.

Last edited:

STOP GETTING TESTED
My wife is a nurse, and every night she comes home crying because of how overwhelmed they are. They cannot even properly treat people now because they don't have enough equipment. She watched a perfectly healthy 25 year old take his last breath over the weekend.

I want wrestling as much as anyone, but you need to grow up and realize this is serious. I am worried constantly about my wife, my daughter, my students, and my wrestlers on a daily basis. And you are telling everyone to stop getting tested. People like you are a major reason why this pandemic is not going away anytime soon.

My wife is a nurse, and every night she comes home crying because of how overwhelmed they are. They cannot even properly treat people now because they don't have enough equipment. She watched a perfectly healthy 25 year old take his last breath over the weekend.

I want wrestling as much as anyone, but you need to grow up and realize this is serious. I am worried constantly about my wife, my daughter, my students, and my wrestlers on a daily basis. And you are telling everyone to stop getting tested. People like you are a major reason why this pandemic is not going away anytime soon.
Grow up, that’s interesting. I never insulted anyone rather made a point - which by the way is factual about the testing being faulty. With that being a factual statement, can you then, make a certain claim about these “hospitalizations” being all covid related? If you’re using tests from the premise of that argument I would say that’s less than safe argument. We also, do know that hospitals are being paid more for each covid patient that they have. I am not going to make the claim that they are inflating their numbers, but rather say that there is also money involved which is powerful.

Now since you brought it up - grow up huh? Well I personally served my country and face death on more than one occasion, I am not bitching about it or asking to made into some kind of victim, but yeah I’d say I am pretty grown up. The fact of the matter is; your life, your health is your responsibility not that of the government’s. Our government is now making decisions based off of a premise that has so many flaws in it that it is actually mind blowing. The answer is really quite simple; boost your immune system, understand the risks (even though they change their minds constantly on what those are exactly), protect the vulnerable.

what is going on with this massive government overreach is un-American. I personally have seen the worst part of humanity - and will choose not live in fear.
P.S. my father, and both sisters are all in the medical field two of which are nurses in covid units. They’ve been “slow” since this all began.

Grow up, that’s interesting. I never insulted anyone rather made a point - which by the way is factual about the testing being faulty. With that being a factual statement, can you then, make a certain claim about these “hospitalizations” being all covid related? If you’re using tests from the premise of that argument I would say that’s less than safe argument. We also, do know that hospitals are being paid more for each covid patient that they have. I am not going to make the claim that they are inflating their numbers, but rather say that there is also money involved which is powerful.

Now since you brought it up - grow up huh? Well I personally served my country and face death on more than one occasion, I am not bitching about it or asking to made into some kind of victim, but yeah I’d say I am pretty grown up. The fact of the matter is; your life, your health is your responsibility not that of the government’s. Our government is now making decisions based off of a premise that has so many flaws in it that it is actually mind blowing. The answer is really quite simple; boost your immune system, understand the risks (even though they change their minds constantly on what those are exactly), protect the vulnerable.

what is going on with this massive government overreach is un-American. I personally have seen the worst part of humanity - and will choose not live in fear.
P.S. my father, and both sisters are all in the medical field two of which are nurses in covid units. They’ve been “slow” since this all began.
Stop getting tested??? Huh? Maybe u can walk around with an illness or disease but if me or my family possibly has anything then we will go to the doctor like we always have and figure out what's wrong and then treat it. I'm not walking around sick nor letting anybody else. That's insane that people would even consider not getting tested.

Stop getting tested??? Huh? Maybe u can walk around with an illness or disease but if me or my family possibly has anything then we will go to the doctor like we always have and figure out what's wrong and then treat it. I'm not walking around sick nor letting anybody else. That's insane that people would even consider not getting tested.
Perhaps I should clarify. If you get sick that is completely different than having absolutely 0 symptoms and going to exactly what I said “these free pop up testing sites” where we know for a fact they are getting an unimaginable amount of false positives, thus contributing to the numbers, and thus contributing to the problem - which is again, wait for..... gross government overreach.

Perfectly healthy 25 year old died? How did that happen?

First, there are several different tests and they have different degrees of result success rate. The one you are complaining about is the rapid test which is the most unreliable, but the regular test is very accurate.

And yes these are Covid hospitalizations, as they judge capacity by negative air-flow rooms, and yes if someone breaks a leg and goes to the hospital and tests positive they are listed as a Covid patient. Because they need to isolate them and if possible get them in a negative air flow ICU room, you know to stop the spread to other patients in the hospital where almost all of them are at risk.

Last hospitals were getting up to 10%-20% increase on Medicare reimbursement during the early outbreak since they had to shutdown. The average Medicare reimbursement is between 8-11K for hospital visit with a repertory infections, and the hospitals were getting around 9-12K and that is no longer the case. They were NEVER paid to list patients as Covid, they were reimbursed for treatment.

You talk about the worst part of humanity? You mean like valuing not having to wear a piece of cloth in public over other peoples lives? You basically said in your first post that your life is more important than people who are at risk, so I would say you are part of the problem and not a part of the solution.

First, there are several different tests and they have different degrees of result success rate. The one you are complaining about is the rapid test which is the most unreliable, but the regular test is very accurate.

And yes these are Covid hospitalizations, as they judge capacity by negative air-flow rooms, and yes if someone breaks a leg and goes to the hospital and tests positive they are listed as a Covid patient. Because they need to isolate them and if possible get them in a negative air flow ICU room, you know to stop the spread to other patients in the hospital where almost all of them are at risk.

Last hospitals were getting up to 10%-20% increase on Medicare reimbursement during the early outbreak since they had to shutdown. The average Medicare reimbursement is between 8-11K for hospital visit with a repertory infections, and the hospitals were getting around 9-12K and that is no longer the case. They were NEVER paid to list patients as Covid, they were reimbursed for treatment.

You talk about the worst part of humanity? You mean like valuing not having to wear a piece of cloth in public over other peoples lives? You basically said in your first post that your life is more important than people who are at risk, so I would say you are part of the problem and not a part of the solution.
Wow! You guys are so nice and caring! It amazes me. Now, everyone has their own opinion I am not replying to them because they have theirs I have mine and that’s fine. What I will respond to is the insults. I never “basically said” anything other than make your own health decisions. So, maybe don’t put words in my mouth? Secondly since you brought this up, if you’re wearing a mask you’re protecting yourself correct? That’s the premise. Now how exactly does it make any difference whether or not I have one on or not - if you do? Even the best facial covering we can get for ourselves (which they tell us not to use but to save for healthcare professionals) is the N95 mask which does a tremendous job of filtering what comes in your respiratory system, it doesn’t however filter what comes out, no mask does and let’s be real they vast majority of these “masks” people wear are nothing more than a face covering that does more than get dirty and make you feel good about yourself.
Now I never said I don’t wear a mask, I said that decision should be left up to you. The worst of humanity that I referenced are the ones who strap suicide bombs to women and kids. And if you’re attempting to compare those as being equal. I don’t know whether to feel sorry for you or actually just flat out not like you for such an ignorant statement.

No symptoms - no tests simple as that. That will help reduce the over inflated numbers we are seeing.

Wow! You guys are so nice and caring! It amazes me. Now, everyone has their own opinion I am not replying to them because they have theirs I have mine and that’s fine. What I will respond to is the insults. I never “basically said” anything other than make your own health decisions. So, maybe don’t put words in my mouth? Secondly since you brought this up, if you’re wearing a mask you’re protecting yourself correct? That’s the premise. Now how exactly does it make any difference whether or not I have one on or not - if you do? Even the best facial covering we can get for ourselves (which they tell us not to use but to save for healthcare professionals) is the N95 mask which does a tremendous job of filtering what comes in your respiratory system, it doesn’t however filter what comes out, no mask does and let’s be real they vast majority of these “masks” people wear are nothing more than a face covering that does more than get dirty and make you feel good about yourself.
Now I never said I don’t wear a mask, I said that decision should be left up to you. The worst of humanity that I referenced are the ones who strap suicide bombs to women and kids. And if you’re attempting to compare those as being equal. I don’t know whether to feel sorry for you or actually just flat out not like you for such an ignorant statement.

No symptoms - no tests simple as that. That will help reduce the over inflated numbers we are seeing.

if you breathe in freezing weather you'll see the mist from your breath which contains corona virus, sneeze in the freezing weather you'll see an explosion of mist with corona virus if you're infected. that's why wearing a mask will protect the person next to you. I get it, tough guys don't care, good tough guys do

So only get tested if you have symptoms? If you choose to live by that way of thinking then that's your prerogative. However, if anyone is around someone who has it then by all means get tested. Thets the only smart responsible thing to do. Testing is not the reason for an increase in numbers. The increase is due to an increase.

Do I wish policy was based off of hospitalizations and capacity over cases? Yes, 100 percent.

But to ignore data, including testing, is as ignorant of a statement I've heard...

If someone feels the need to get tested, please do so.

If someone feels the need to not get tested, that is your inherent choice as an adult.... but if you have symptoms stay home and wear a mask if you do go out.

In my opinion, we should be differentiating cases by types of tests and multiple tests should be completed if possible for comparison purposes...

Should we have a more transparent break down of testing types, follow up results, and the number of false positives based on type of test.... of course.

The stupidity on both sides of the covid-19 spectrum is unacceptable

Do I wish policy was based off of hospitalizations and capacity over cases? Yes, 100 percent.

But to ignore data, including testing, is as ignorant of a statement I've heard...

If someone feels the need to get tested, please do so.

If someone feels the need to not get tested, that is your inherent choice as an adult.... but if you have symptoms stay home and wear a mask if you do go out.

In my opinion, we should be differentiating cases by types of tests and multiple tests should be completed if possible for comparison purposes...

Should we have a more transparent break down of testing types, follow up results, and the number of false positives based on type of test.... of course.

The stupidity on both sides of the covid-19 spectrum is unacceptable

Agreed, testing has been an issue from the get go. In my opinion our government (yes left and right) dropped the ball big time and failed us from the get go. I just hope we have learned some valuable lessons so when a really bad pandemic hits we can handle it a little better next time.

So only get tested if you have symptoms? If you choose to live by that way of thinking then that's your prerogative. However, if anyone is around someone who has it then by all means get tested. Thets the only smart responsible thing to do. Testing is not the reason for an increase in numbers. The increase is due to an increase.
Now I’m only responding to this post because you’re one of the few who didn’t say “grow up” or throw some other stupid insult toward me. You made a point and a valid one. I don’t even disagree with in fact your last two posts perhaps filled in some of the blanks that I left out in my original post. I am referring to the thousands of people lined to get tested without symptoms and haven’t been exposed to anyone who was infected. There are too many of those and in my opinion are contributing to the problem. Feel free to disagree with that if you like, but the kind of tests that they are receiving are far too inaccurate to be making life decisions based off of. I should have been more specific in my original post.

I think the misconception is the common mask and its intended purpose...it is to protect those around you, not necessarily protecting the person wearing it. Clinical staff do get fitted for N95 type masks, which do protect them, but the common person is wearing a mask that is not fitted and will not protect them completely, so the intent is to stop the spread by limiting the droplets that come from the person wearing the mask. Since this mask is not fitted, there is potential that any close encounter will infect the person wearing the mask. The way you protect yourself is to keep your distance from others and wash your hands. So when people get excited over the concept of not wearing a mask, this is why...I can do all I can to avoid catching Covid and all it takes is for someone, Covid positive with or without symptoms walking by me to sneeze, cough or talk in my direction without a mask on and my mask not being fitted will not protect me from breathing in those droplets and catching Covid.

Your comment on testing not being accurate is correct for those rapid tests, but as someone else mentioned, the 48 hour tests are very accurate.

As for the numbers increasing, they are. Is it due to increased testing, maybe. The biggest immediate concern is the hospitalizations. If your relatives work in Healthcare and are saying they are not busy, consider themselves lucky as they are not working in our region at one of the 4 main systems (UC Health, Mercy, Tri-Health, Christ). The region(Cincinnati) is very busy and near capacity at all area hospitals mentioned. The Covid hospitalizations have close to doubled form the peak in April. Staffing can not keep up with all of this, plus we are seeing hospital workers catching Covid and while some/most are not hospitalized as a result, they can not work due to having it. This is stressing the system.

Hopefully this helps with understanding some counter points that are being made from your post.

After 8 months of this people still dont understand that the main benefit of wearing a mask is to prevent the person who has Covid from spreading it to others not in preventing the person wearing the mask from getting it.

Agreed, testing has been an issue from the get go. In my opinion our government (yes left and right) dropped the ball big time and failed us from the get go. I just hope we have learned some valuable lessons so when a really bad pandemic hits we can handle it a little better next time.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN “NEXT TIME”!?!?
You mean there’s more?!?!
?

After 8 months of this people still dont understand that the main benefit of wearing a mask is to prevent the person who has Covid from spreading it to others not in preventing the person wearing the mask from getting it.
So if this is true, all hospital patients who are given masks immediately can't spread covid to any health care workers who are treating them? So basically no ppe is needed by health care workers and if they do wear ppe which all do,they should never become positive to covid. Which we know is false as well do to many nurses and Doctors being positive.Masks just don't work the way they are being used. Put one on take it off touch the door knob, grocery cart put it back on touch your face, pull it off get your wallet put it back on touch your face. It will never work! Only helps if you sneeze to stop that initial spread. But then your hot pull down touch your face wipe your face . You put more germs on your face from touching your mask then not wearing one.

Interesting that you support a person's right to choose to wear a mask or not as long as they don't try to tell you what to do, but you seem to want to restrict a person's choice to get tested or not. Or rather, you want people to choose the course of action that fits your position, even if they would rather to do otherwise if they were free to do so. That seems hypocritical. It seems like the ability to choose to wear a mask or not, even though it might mean you contract or pass on this virus is about the same as the ability to choose to get tested or not even though it may turn up a false positive. Which is it, are we free to make choices even if the choice may not be to the benefit of all, or not?
"Too many tests" is an ignorant trope. If people stopped taking pregnancy tests, we'd stop hearing about unplanned pregnancy and the problem would go away, right? The number of tests is irrelevant. The positivity rate and the rate and number of hospitalizations is what is important. As has been stated, the reliability of MOST tests being given is good. Some false positives (and false negatives, which you don't seem to want to enter into your calculations) don't mean the numbers are "over inflated." Even if the positivity numbers are higher than reality, do you think the problem is any less real?
Sir, let me pose something to you to consider... On one hand, you have the vast majority of the world's best experts in the field of epidemiology (remember when being an expert was a good thing?) agreeing that masks ARE effective and should be worn to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 and that more testing is NOT a problem. On the other hand, you have one guy who has never looked out for anybody but himself and who has not a scintilla of training or expertise in the area who spent the majority of this crisis actively opposing mask use and saying more testing IS a problem. Now how in the world can you come to the conclusion that he is right and they are wrong? What actual basis can you have for that other than some amorphous feeling? All the evidence, all the data, all the expertise points to him being wrong.
My man, thank you for your service to the country. I respect your right to say and feel whatever you want. You've earned it, but it sure doesn't make you right on this.

So if this is true, all hospital patients who are given masks immediately can't spread covid to any health care workers who are treating them? So basically no ppe is needed by health care workers and if they do wear ppe which all do,they should never become positive to covid. Which we know is false as well do to many nurses and Doctors being positive.Masks just don't work the way they are being used. Put one on take it off touch the door knob, grocery cart put it back on touch your face, pull it off get your wallet put it back on touch your face. It will never work! Only helps if you sneeze to stop that initial spread. But then your hot pull down touch your face wipe your face . You put more germs on your face from touching your mask then not wearing one.
Patients with respiratory issues are not wearing masks as they need breathing treatments or may be on Oxygen or ventilators if really serious. They are placed in negative pressure rooms to limit the spread. Clinical staff need PPE or they would be infected quickly. Reality is there are very few clinicians catching the virus in hospital settings due to the protocols in place. It is mainly from social gatherings or out in the public.
‘Your other points about touching objects then your mask and face are indeed problematic. People need to be aware of this fact and limit touching items in public, avoid touching your face and practice good Hygiene by washing hands or use hand sanitizer when you must touch things in public.
There is no silver bullet to prevent this 100%, but there are ways to limit the possibility of catching it when you must go out. Wear a mask, practice social distancing and good hygiene.

Interesting that you support a person's right to choose to wear a mask or not as long as they don't try to tell you what to do, but you seem to want to restrict a person's choice to get tested or not. Or rather, you want people to choose the course of action that fits your position, even if they would rather to do otherwise if they were free to do so. That seems hypocritical. It seems like the ability to choose to wear a mask or not, even though it might mean you contract or pass on this virus is about the same as the ability to choose to get tested or not even though it may turn up a false positive. Which is it, are we free to make choices even if the choice may not be to the benefit of all, or not?
"Too many tests" is an ignorant trope. If people stopped taking pregnancy tests, we'd stop hearing about unplanned pregnancy and the problem would go away, right? The number of tests is irrelevant. The positivity rate and the rate and number of hospitalizations is what is important. As has been stated, the reliability of MOST tests being given is good. Some false positives (and false negatives, which you don't seem to want to enter into your calculations) don't mean the numbers are "over inflated." Even if the positivity numbers are higher than reality, do you think the problem is any less real?
Sir, let me pose something to you to consider... On one hand, you have the vast majority of the world's best experts in the field of epidemiology (remember when being an expert was a good thing?) agreeing that masks ARE effective and should be worn to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 and that more testing is NOT a problem. On the other hand, you have one guy who has never looked out for anybody but himself and who has not a scintilla of training or expertise in the area who spent the majority of this crisis actively opposing mask use and saying more testing IS a problem. Now how in the world can you come to the conclusion that he is right and they are wrong? What actual basis can you have for that other than some amorphous feeling? All the evidence, all the data, all the expertise points to him being wrong.
My man, thank you for your service to the country. I respect your right to say and feel whatever you want. You've earned it, but it sure doesn't make you right on this.
I can’t understand how my original post about encouraging people who aren’t sick and haven’t been exposed to anyone that has covid-19 has turned into a mask conversation and that somehow I am some kind of a denialist or something. If you don’t think that going and getting tested for no reason at all isn’t in fact contributing to the case count (which is again, the main source of the problem) - then chose to believe that if you want to. Covid has become too politicized to even seem to come close to trying to have a rational discussion. Clearly that is the case here, as I have learned that I need to grow up, I’m ignorant, and hypocritical. When really I’m just a guy who loves freedom, the ability to make my own health decisions, wants my kids to be able to have a wrestling season, and I see the massive amount of testing as an unnecessary threat to all of those things.

I’ll end with this and hopefully not return to this thread;
you have governors, mayors etc who have bankrupted and ruined countless people’s life’s work. These same people who have never missed a paycheck throughout the whole thing.

They are now trying to tell you/enforce how many people you can have in your house during thanksgiving.

They are also the same people that are always getting caught breaking their own “rules”.

I personally I am not going to be a part of all this madness. If you feel sick go to the doctors get tested whatever, do what you want. I however will encourage the people I know not to get tested for no reason.

peace
In

I can’t understand how my original post about encouraging people who aren’t sick and haven’t been exposed to anyone that has covid-19 has turned into a mask conversation and that somehow I am some kind of a denialist or something. If you don’t think that going and getting tested for no reason at all isn’t in fact contributing to the case count (which is again, the main source of the problem) - then chose to believe that if you want to. Covid has become too politicized to even seem to come close to trying to have a rational discussion. Clearly that is the case here, as I have learned that I need to grow up, I’m ignorant, and hypocritical. When really I’m just a guy who loves freedom, the ability to make my own health decisions, wants my kids to be able to have a wrestling season, and I see the massive amount of testing as an unnecessary threat to all of those things.

I’ll end with this and hopefully not return to this thread;
you have governors, mayors etc who have bankrupted and ruined countless people’s life’s work. These same people who have never missed a paycheck throughout the whole thing.

They are now trying to tell you/enforce how many people you can have in your house during thanksgiving.

They are also the same people that are always getting caught breaking their own “rules”.

I personally I am not going to be a part of all this madness. If you feel sick go to the doctors get tested whatever, do what you want. I however will encourage the people I know not to get tested for no reason.

peace
In

It's not all about masks, Unsurprisingly, you ignored the bits that you cannot defend because you probably realized the hypocrisy of it and don't have a real rebuttal. Again, it seems that what you love is YOUR freedom, but you don't care too much about other people's freedom (unless it supports yours). You want to control other people's behavior, but you don't want anyone to have a say in how you love your life.
You are free to take your ball and go home, but it shows what you really think about your position. I have noticed a lot of people have FEELINGS on a subject, but if they have to examine the situation logically and with reason, it falls apart. That's why folks who talk the way you have here are usually yelling and angry just repeating the current presidents (usually false) statements and not interested in an intellectual discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.