Coshocton D3 District

Sandy Valley, Barnesville, and Martins Ferry are awesome squads.

It'll be interesting to see how the team race plays out. IMO, there has to be some sort of small advantage to having come from one of the sectionals with just 11 participating teams (SV & BA) rather than those with 20+ (AL & MP). Feels to me like the state needs to do a better job to avoid such discrepancies. Aforementioned teams would've still qualified a slew, just thinking aloud.

Sandy Valley, Barnesville, and Martins Ferry are awesome squads.

It'll be interesting to see how the team race plays out. IMO, there has to be some sort of small advantage to having come from one of the sectionals with just 11 participating teams (SV & BA) rather than those with 20+ (AL & MP). Feels to me like the state needs to do a better job to avoid such discrepancies. Aforementioned teams would've still qualified a slew, just thinking aloud.
Look at most of the projected top kids. Most come out of Barnesville and Sandy Valley sectional. The last time that they sent Central schools to those sections to "even up" ended with the result of around 75% of the state qualifiers coming from Barnesville and Sandy Valley. There is no benefit to having only 11 schools in the sectional. I'm sure those kids would rather have some extra wins instead of only wrestling a couple of matches against the other top ranked kids. The best will come out at the district tournament regardless of how many teams were at their sectional. Sectional tournaments are supposed to be exactly what they are, a sectional. Teams that are closer to each other. Districts bring those 4 sections together. It doesn't make sense to have kids traveling past a closer sectional to wrestle in one that is hours away. In the end, you are either good enough to make it to State or you aren't. If you can't make it out of your sectional, you certainly aren't making it to state, so the rest is pointless.

You could debate your argument all day. There are several advantages and disadvantages.
Look at AL- 120....One kid with a winning record(out of 22 schools). 2 kids did not have a physical win(all FF), and one kid 4-8.
Look at Barnesville 120(11 teams)
#1 Stephen 29-9
#2 Herbert 28-5
#3 Dixon 19-5
# 4Heavner 20-2.
Now I ask you, except # 1 at Alexander, does any of the other 3 District qualifiers qualify if they were at Barnesville?
So that disproves your theory, in my eyes.. # of teams isnt better than quality of teams.

I agree with many of the things you two have said. Quality moves from location to location. Last year, RD was the quality sectional (and had quantity). This year it appears to possibly be Barnesville?

I was purely referring to this District's teams race. As was said, Sandy Valley has 12, Barnesville 10, and Martins Ferry 10. Add to that, Boro has Barnesville & Marion Pleasant getting 7 out each, Sandy Valley 6, and River Valley 5. Seems to me that the teams race could end up being very close. My only speculation in terms of numbers at different sectionals is: (without specifically looking for an example) are there any situations where a smaller sectional may have provided a benefitting team with the opportunity of an extra point or two? Whether providing an extra DQ that may not have qualified at one or two other sectionals, yet may pick up a win or two, or perhaps a team picks up an easy win because a smaller sectional had lesser quality get through. All in all, it is too broad to truly prove or disprove and just simple speculation.

In terms of looking at AL's 120, I'd say that there are cases of this fairly regularly. 3 of Boro's SQ at 182 come out of MP, so did any of the contending schools get a DQ through that might not of had MP not had those numbers?

Another one... In Boro's almanac, he had projected that the top four heavyweights were all from the MP sectional. That of course, didn't play out. His top two out of this District met in Semis at Sectionals and Centerburg's heavy seems to be really hurt, then barely got through Elgin's kid to qualify and took the 4 spot due to his injury (living to fight another day). Elgin's heavy could've won a match or two at districts but ended up a DA. MP's heavy dropped to 220. And I do think he is sleeping on Walker from Lib.Union. That being said (I know that heavy at this District is stacked), this is another weight where quality was there with quantity and the MP-5 could've been a 3/4 at another or vice versa some DQs might not have made it through MP. (This one, doesn't affect the teams race, but I simply wondered if there are any that might.)

A year ago, RD had quantity and quality, which IMO makes more sense... More kids in the field, more possibilities that quality will be there. I think RD doubled the numbers SQs and Districts Finalists than any of the other sectionals. This year looks to be different and, like I said, a much closer teams competition.

Good Matchups at each weight
106-Boggs vs Rossiter 1/4 finals
106- Ward vs Pickerell 1/4 finals
113- King vs Wydick 1/4 finals
113- Overly vs Chase 1/4 finals
120- Luft vs Walker Semi-finals
126-Wilson vs Wygle 1/4 finals
126- Maple vs Canning 1/4 finals
132-Smith vs Fouts 1/4 finals
132 -Kanyuch vs Marks 1/4 finals
138- ???
145-Cadle vs Martello 1/4 finals
152-Offenberger vs Waggoner 1/4 finals
152- VanDyne vs Watkins 1st round
160-Smith vs Meek semi-finals
160- Greene vs Goff 1st round
170-Boulet vs Lackey 1/4 finals
182- Sparling vs Hash 1/4 finals
195- Kelly vs Sanders 1/4 finals
220-All of the 1/4 finals should be close
285- Wher vs Weber 1/4 finals
285- Bier vs Fitzgerald 1/4 finals

Just my thoughts on some matches to watch. As always, the blood round will be very interesting.

Look at most of the projected top kids. Most come out of Barnesville and Sandy Valley sectional. The last time that they sent Central schools to those sections to "even up" ended with the result of around 75% of the state qualifiers coming from Barnesville and Sandy Valley. There is no benefit to having only 11 schools in the sectional. I'm sure those kids would rather have some extra wins instead of only wrestling a couple of matches against the other top ranked kids. The best will come out at the district tournament regardless of how many teams were at their sectional. Sectional tournaments are supposed to be exactly what they are, a sectional. Teams that are closer to each other. Districts bring those 4 sections together. It doesn't make sense to have kids traveling past a closer sectional to wrestle in one that is hours away. In the end, you are either good enough to make it to State or you aren't. If you can't make it out of your sectional, you certainly aren't making it to state, so the rest is pointless.
Exactly dont get me started about the 11 team thing, I went to Garaway and had to wrestle sectionals at licking Heights in pataskala almost 2 hrs for a freaking sectional.

Nelsonville York, Northmor, West Jefferson, Ready, Pleasant and a few more. How is your memory? I witnessed a couple of up and coming teams from Southeast a few years ago. Has that area become that good?

Barnesville, Sandy Valley, and Marion Pleasant are the class of this district - and to think Pleasant is doing it without the services of Anwar Alli, who got injured in late December. Barnesville and Pleasant look to the be the class of this district if the composition remains the same for multiple years to come as well.

106: CHAMP - Stephen (Barnesville) v Boggs (Sandy Valley), CONSI - Rossiter (Shenandoah) v Ward (Martins Ferry), ALT - Durr v Hoty
113: CHAMP - King (Barnesville) v Chase (Pleasant), CONSI - Overly (Shenandoah) v Wydick (Utica), ALT - Natale (Sandy Valley) v Proctor
120: CHAMP - Walker (Malvern) v Stephen (Barnesville), CONSI - Luft (Newark Catholic) v Herbert (Buckeye Local), ALT - George v Heavener
126: CHAMP - Wygle (Utica) v King (Barnesville), CONSI - Fister (Johnstown Northridge) v Canning (Newark Catholic), ALT - Samson v Huck (Bidwell River Valley)
132: CHAMP - Fouts (Trimble) v Marks (Sandy Valley), CONSI - Tague (Barnesville) v Cortez (Northmor), ALT - Kanyuch v Smith
138: CHAMP - Aiello (Bishop Ready) v Hursey (Newcomerstown), CONSI - Hoover (Barnesville) v Stump (Bidwell River Valley), ALT - Moyer v Simmons (Adena)
145: CHAMP - Cadle (Bidwell River Valley) v Marshall (Centerburg), CONSI - Dozier (Toronto) v Martello (Bishop Ready), ALT - Cline v Osmn
152: CHAMP - Palmer (Buckeye Local) v Chsae (Pleasant), CONSI - Christo (Northmor) v Offenberger (Waterford), ALT - Waggoner (Richmond Edison) v Watkins (Sandy Valley)
160: CHAMP - Woods (Barnesville) v Smith (Pleasant), CONSI - Goff (Martins Ferry) v Meek (Newcomerstown), ALT - Gray (Adena) v Kosch
170: CHAMP - Lackey (Trimble) v Keckley (West Jefferson), CONSI - Gentry (Sandy Valley) v Hughes (Martins Ferry), ALT - Sayre (Caldwell) v Boulet (Barnesville)
182: CHAMP - Williams (Mount Gilead) v Hash (Bidwell River Valley), CONSI - Sparling (Pleasant) v Hillyer (Alexander), ALT - Davis v Waddell (Elgin)
195: CHAMP - Kelly (Westfall) v Blair (Sandy Valley), CONSI - Warner (Shenandoah) v Sanders (Newcomerstown), ALT - Bibler or George v Morales
220: CHAMP - Moyer (Sandy Valley) v Griffith (Pleasant), CONSI - Mendenhall (Columbus Academy) v Reed (Madison Plains), ALT - Everett (Trimble) v Dobson (Martins Ferry)
285: CHAMP - Reed-Boley (Fairbanks) v Walker (Liberty Union), CONSI - Harris (Alexander) v Weber (Bidwell River Valley), ALT - Bier or Wehr v Bruney

Interesting that you don't have Maple from Ridgewood at 126 in any of the placement rounds. I tend to agree with that but I am not familiar with some of the others to know for sure

Team came to wrestle this weekend. Great job Shamrocks.
D525115D-0FAE-42BA-97F7-057E63F1E799.jpeg

Believe there were 12 sectional champs that did not Place 1-5 at Coshocton this weekend, a lot of good wrestling

Believe there were 12 sectional champs that did not Place 1-5 at Coshocton this weekend, a lot of good wrestling
Before second session yesterday I did a quick scroll and saw I think 3 sectional Champs go 0-2 and at least 2 go 1-2. Sometime this week I plan on going through a little more and seeing if I can find interesting stats etc.

Before second session yesterday I did a quick scroll and saw I think 3 sectional Champs go 0-2 and at least 2 go 1-2. Sometime this week I plan on going through a little more and seeing if I can find interesting stats etc.

Youll like that at 113 3 of the 4 Champ semi finalists came from MP sectional

Also at 113 I believe it was Alexander Sectional all 4 went 0-2

Move on and I mean that in a positive way. Shoot for the top of the big board. I'll be rooting for the district during the State Tournament. The Southeastern district hasn't received much respect for a while.

2021 SQ by sectional.PNG

Seemed pretty even actually, Alexander sectional showed up in the bigger weights. Madison-Plains sectional had more qualifiers, but I think the 2 east sectionals had more 1st/2nd finalist at first glance. I plan on breaking it down more by placement to see if I'm right.

Last edited:
Finally broke down the placement by sectional. Barnesville and Madison-Plains sectionals had 8 finalist each but Barnesville had 6 champs to MP's 5.

2021 SQ placer by sectional.PNG

Other interesting facts:
12 of Barnesville sectional's 14 qualifiers came from 3 schools (Barnesville 6, Martins Ferry and Shenandoah 3 each)
10 of Sandy Valley sectional's 14 qualifiers came from 2 schools (Sandy Valley 7, Newcomerstown 3)
11 schools are represented coming out of Madison-Plains sectional
Bidwell River Valley (4) and Alexander (2) were the only schools with multiple qualifiers out of the Alexander sectional.

Finally broke down the placement by sectional. Barnesville and Madison-Plains sectionals had 8 finalist each but Barnesville had 6 champs to MP's 5.

View attachment 15366
Other interesting facts:
12 of Barnesville sectional's 14 qualifiers came from 3 schools (Barnesville 6, Martins Ferry and Shenandoah 3 each)
10 of Sandy Valley sectional's 14 qualifiers came from 2 schools (Sandy Valley 7, Newcomerstown 3)
11 schools are represented coming out of Madison-Plains sectional
Bidwell River Valley (4) and Alexander (2) were the only schools with multiple qualifiers out of the Alexander sectional.
How many will be state champs?

I'm no predictor, but Bucksman I think had 1 in Palmer, I personally think 2-3 because it's high school and anything is possible.
Good deal, but the goal should be 5. That will make the district top notch. Small steps, but every program needs to build. Steel sharpens steel