Copley High School removes Mark Dente as boys, girls basketball coach

Good luck to them!

I wonder what part Andy Jalwan had in getting Julie Soltis interested in the position, if at all. He was the AD at Gilmour before his time at SVSM.

Well new Beacon article paints a very grim look on coach Dente. He will no doubt be spending some time behind bars. This reminds me of the old
Fair Finance scheme of years ago. Funny one day you're parading around in your new vet and the next you're bubbas best friend.

Well new Beacon article paints a very grim look on coach Dente. He will no doubt be spending some time behind bars. This reminds me of the old
Fair Finance scheme of years ago. Funny one day you're parading around in your new vet and the next you're bubbas best friend.
It certainly looks bad for Dente.
For those unfamiliar with the Fair Finance scheme, the main guy, Timothy Dunham, was sentenced to 50 years in prison for swindling investors of $216 million about 10 years ago. His earliest possible release will be in 2056 at age 94. The other main guys arrested received 25 and 10 years for their roles.
Dente is being accused of owing 53.1 million dollars to investors and using that money to pay his mortgage payments on his primary home, buying a second home on Portrage Lakes, and buying a house for an executive in his company among other things.

It certainly looks bad for Dente.
For those unfamiliar with the Fair Finance scheme, the main guy, Timothy Dunham, was sentenced to 50 years in prison for swindling investors of $216 million about 10 years ago. His earliest possible release will be in 2056 at age 94. The other main guys arrested received 25 and 10 years for their roles.
Dente is being accused of owing 53.1 million dollars to investors and using that money to pay his mortgage payments on his primary home, buying a second home on Portrage Lakes, and buying a house for an executive in his company among other things.
And remembering right they put a lawyer firm to find the Fair Finance funds and assets and distribute them to the investors, problem was their fees were around 80% of what they found. A total joke so when they got their hands on $100K , roughly $20K got distributed out. So in essence the investors got screwed twice. Probably whats gonna happen here, the only ones that are gonna make out are the snake lawyers.

On another note: Julie Solis is a solid arse hire. Don't know anything about boys coach but he is only 26?

What is so sad is that he will never be able to see his grand kids if his daughter and son have any. He will never get to enjoy retirement as he shouldn't since he made sure so many others won't enjoy retirement either. Talked to a high powered law firm that says he will go away for a very long time and they wouldn't be surprised if some other dominoes in AEM go for stints as well. Greed at its finest.

Is anyone at Copley going to be held responsible for hiring this crook to coach 2 major sports? There were lawsuits going back to way before he was hired for these head coaching jobs. Why was there no background check done? If there was one done, how in the world could they hire him?

Is anyone at Copley going to be held responsible for hiring this crook to coach 2 major sports? There were lawsuits going back to way before he was hired for these head coaching jobs. Why was there no background check done? If there was one done, how in the world could they hire him?

Not likely. The AD at the time who hired him was Jim Borchirt. (sp). He is now an elected member of the school board. He and Dente go back years and are/were buddy buddy. The best to hope for would be that he too was a big investor and lost like so many others.

Another 6 suits filed against Mark Dente in the last 2 weeks totaling another 5.6 million dollars.
This brings the total to 58.7 million so far.
The poster who was defending the former coach and saying that the rest of the family wasn't involved has been silent for quite awhile now. Dente's oldest son has been named in many of the lawsuits and his wife in a few of the civil suits.

The Ohio Dept. of Education requires background checks for all school employees, and those background checks have to be done again every few years depending on what type of licensure the employee has. The candidate/employee's job is to obtain all the necessary certifications that the state requires plus any additional items that the district might require. Once all items are completed and compiled, they are sent to the school district office, who examines them and issues its approval and then forwards the materials to the Ohio Dept. of Education who issues the proper license.

FWIW, I'm not sure a background check would have turned up anything to preclude this guy from being hired at the time he was hired. Being named in lawsuits is not the same as being convicted of a crime that would disqualify the person from working around children.

The Ohio Dept. of Education requires background checks for all school employees, and those background checks have to be done again every few years depending on what type of licensure the employee has. The candidate/employee's job is to obtain all the necessary certifications that the state requires plus any additional items that the district might require. Once all items are completed and compiled, they are sent to the school district office, who examines them and issues its approval and then forwards the materials to the Ohio Dept. of Education who issues the proper license.

FWIW, I'm not sure a background check would have turned up anything to preclude this guy from being hired at the time he was hired. Being named in lawsuits is not the same as being convicted of a crime that would disqualify the person from working around children.
Yes, I would be shocked if the background check turned anything up, since I’m assuming the lawsuits before were all civil suits; it sounds like there are now criminal proceedings going down.

“The poster” is still here. I can’t wait for all you yappi fanatics to realize how wrong you were all along. Mine as well apply for the beacon journal too. You’d fit right in. In your statement about the oldest son and wife, notice how there’s multiple suits that just say the same exact thing. I’m not saying there isn’t money owed or it’s not a bad situation, however I am saying why don’t you let it play out and see what happens. “Dente’s son transferred assets to hide them” is one of the statements. Did he? Where’s the proof? What assets were they? Ultimately, the people wanting money back will go with each and every avenue they have to return their investment. If they make a statement, it DOESN’T mean it’s true. They have to ultimately prove that it is. Nobody on this site ultimately knows the truth besides the ones involved. A quick search on the auditors site doesn’t show the accused LLC’s of owning any homes in the area.
Well I've read every Beacon Journal article, I do not remember reading that his son hid assets? And yes the court of public opinion is strong. Why don't we let this play out? Well this is yappi dude, we are here for these discussions, don't like them? Stay off discussion boards! over $50 mill in accusations that "just all say the same thing" come on man, you're really not that stupid, right?

“The poster” is still here. I can’t wait for all you yappi fanatics to realize how wrong you were all along. Mine as well apply for the beacon journal too. You’d fit right in. In your statement about the oldest son and wife, notice how there’s multiple suits that just say the same exact thing. I’m not saying there isn’t money owed or it’s not a bad situation, however I am saying why don’t you let it play out and see what happens. “Dente’s son transferred assets to hide them” is one of the statements. Did he? Where’s the proof? What assets were they? Ultimately, the people wanting money back will go with each and every avenue they have to return their investment. If they make a statement, it DOESN’T mean it’s true. They have to ultimately prove that it is. Nobody on this site ultimately knows the truth besides the ones involved. A quick search on the auditors site doesn’t show the accused LLC’s of owning any homes in the area.

That’s not what I’m saying. I see online there’s obviously money owed and it’s admitted. All I’m saying is the points about fraud, all that stuff. How do we know that’s true? That has to be proven with evidence. There’s tons of companies that go bankrupt or into debt related problems. Maybe there’s company assets owned that could be used to pay some money back, and then continue to operate moving forward with a small amount of capitol and have payment plans to every investor. Who knows, nobody knows right now. I’m just saying I’d be hesitant to accuse someone and agree with something filing a claim cause ultimately they eventually have to prove it’s true.
Wondering how much you're billing your client per hour for your counsel ?

This sounds like an opening proposal--from a position of weakness, I might add--for a quick settlement.

You really think that many different people just decided on a whim to file (what you are hinting at)--a frivolous lawsuit ? And that many others before them had done the same ?

Just from what I've read on this thread, including all the attachments in detail, it's rather obvious to me that Mr. Dente and associates, while they may not have initially intended to commit fraud, somehow found how easily the exaggerations worked and kept the $$ flowing, which was too good to pass up.

“The poster” is still here. I can’t wait for all you yappi fanatics to realize how wrong you were all along. Mine as well apply for the beacon journal too. You’d fit right in. In your statement about the oldest son and wife, notice how there’s multiple suits that just say the same exact thing. I’m not saying there isn’t money owed or it’s not a bad situation, however I am saying why don’t you let it play out and see what happens. “Dente’s son transferred assets to hide them” is one of the statements. Did he? Where’s the proof? What assets were they? Ultimately, the people wanting money back will go with each and every avenue they have to return their investment. If they make a statement, it DOESN’T mean it’s true. They have to ultimately prove that it is. Nobody on this site ultimately knows the truth besides the ones involved. A quick search on the auditors site doesn’t show the accused LLC’s of owning any homes in
That’s not what I’m saying. I see online there’s obviously money owed and it’s admitted. All I’m saying is the points about fraud, all that stuff. How do we know that’s true? That has to be proven with evidence. There’s tons of companies that go bankrupt or into debt related problems. Maybe there’s company assets owned that could be used to pay some money back, and then continue to operate moving forward with a small amount of capitol and have payment plans to every investor. Who knows, nobody knows right now. I’m just saying I’d be hesitant to accuse someone and agree with something filing a claim cause ultimately they eventually have to prove it’s true.

the lawsuit from the state of Ohio says they have been investigating the business for a few years and the state of Ohio calls it a Ponzi scheme

Correct me if I'm wrong and I understand he'll have his lawyers working hard to try to prove otherwise but didn't the states attorneys office get involved and come out saying this was a classic ponzi scheme? He was quoted as saying he was in the capitol flipping business not real estate? Something to that effect, was this mis information?

Correct me if I'm wrong and I understand he'll have his lawyers working hard to try to prove otherwise but didn't the states attorneys office get involved and come out saying this was a classic ponzi scheme? He was quoted as saying he was in the capitol flipping business not real estate? Something to that effect, was this mis information?
Yes the state said it was a Ponzi scheme. The state said they have been investigating Dente business since 2016 it look liked

Several more suits were filed against former Copley coach Dente in the last week. One of them asks for $56 million bringing the total to over $115 million. This is approaching Fair Finance territory now.

You do know what Fraud is right? "wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain" We're talking about 50 million dollars (now $115m), if Dent used even 1 cent of that money to finance his lake house, pay a bill, or so much as buy a ham sandwich, it's fraud. We're not just on here blowing smoke.

Now, this statement is non-factual, I can't nor do I intend to prove anything - My first learning of who Dent was several years ago, in discussion of him being the basketball coach, I was told he's into shady business dealings. It was a relatively known/suspected operation that he was running.....None of this coming to light is a surprise at all.

Upset investors and state regulators are calling Dente's property-flipping business, which began struggling late last year to repay private loans, a "large-scale Ponzi scheme" built on a "pyramid" of revolving loans intended for property investments but used, in part, as "a personal slush fund" for Dente, his family and friends.

Yea, just all a big misunderstanding, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Mark Dente has been lying to the Receiver and his attorneys about a host of issues, and Anthony Dente continues to sell real estate," Dottore's attorney, Robert Stefancin, wrote to the judge."

???

"Now Anthony Dente is fighting to shield his own business from his father's litigation. Edward Spencer Muse, an attorney with the same business address as Creveling, is representing the son and Mark Dente's wife, Sharon. Debtors accuse Sharon and Mark Dente of using some of the investments on mortgages, jet skis and other personal purchases, including a home for one of his executives."

Incredible how this local shyster kept this scheme afloat for so long and really shameful how he dragged his family into all of this.

Sad, sad situation. Well honey we lived a great lifestyle but now you get to grow old alone and enjoy grandkids on your own. How ridiculous
just so he could have a summer home and fast cars.