Congratulations Kevin and Ursuline High School!!

United States Hockey League
May 10, 2011

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The USHL has announced that Phantoms defenseman Kevin Liss has been co-named the 2010-11 Scholar-Athlete. This is the second year in a row that a member of the Phantoms organization has been named the scholar-athlete.
Liss played in 42 games and tallied three assists during his first season with the Phantoms. USHL players are nominated for this award by their coaches, teachers and academic counselors based on their grade-point-average, school participation and course work. Liss joins former Phantoms goaltender Matt Mahalak, as one of the six recipients of this award since its inception in 2007.
“This is award is both a privilege and an honor,” said Liss. “It is also a credit to the work done by Coach Carr and our entire organization. Our coaches have stressed how important our education is both on and off the ice. They have taken the steps to set our team up in a great learning environment.”
Liss attended Ursuline High School while living in Youngstown and he transferred back to Upper Saint Clair High School in his native Pittsburgh after the Phantoms season came to an end. During the season, Liss maintained a 4.0 grade-point-average, he is a member of the National Honor Society and he received a Certificate of Merit by the state of Pennsylvania for his outstanding performance on both the College Board SAT (2120) and ACT (31) tests. The accomplishments made by Liss are even more remarkable when you take the Phantoms travel schedule into consideration.
“Even with our tough travel at times, my teammates and I were always dedicated to our work off the ice,” said Liss. “When we were on the road my teammates were great about letting me do my work and our bus was also a great asset. I had plenty of room in my bunk to get my work done with the down time that I had.”
Phantoms head coach Curtis Carr credited Liss’ commitment both on and off the ice as a major factor in winning this award.
“We are extremely proud of the work Kevin did this season,” said Carr. “Playing in the USHL requires a tremendous commitment to both the game hockey and the work done in the classroom. Kevin’s dedication inside of the classroom shows how committed he was to both the team and his course work. We have created an environment here in Youngstown, both in the classroom and on the ice, where players can come here and succeed as they look to accomplish their goals of moving on to collegiate hockey.”
Both Liss and Carr were quick to credit the dedicated staff at Ursuline as one of the major factors in this award.
“The teachers at Ursuline were fantastic,” said Liss. “They did a great job of keeping my high school teammates and I on top of all of our course work whether we were on the road or not. Ursuline is one of the top high schools in Ohio and their staff was great working with us all season long. Without their help, this would not be possible.”
Carr echoed the statement made by Liss in crediting Ursuline as one of the driving forces behind this award.
“To have such a dedicated school like Ursuline helping our athletes is a tremendous asset,” said Carr. “This award is a credit to their teachers and their staff, who go above and beyond to make sure that our players are successful. We could not have won this award, let alone keep our program, if it were not for a school like Ursuline.
Liss will share the scholar-athlete award with Jaycob Megna of the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
Season tickets for the 2011-12 season are on sale now. Ticket plans start at the low price of just $90. Call the Phantoms office today at 330.747.7825 for more information or to make a reservation today! For a complete Phantoms schedule, visit www.youngstownphantoms.com.
Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, the USHL celebrates its ninth season as the nation's only Tier I junior hockey league in 2010-11. With over 200 players this season already committed to NCAA Division I schools and 15 NHL Entry Draft picks on League rosters, the USHL is the nation's foremost producer of junior hockey talent. For more information, visit us on the web at www.USHL.com.

It's not just hockey. It's the USHL.

GO IRISH!!!

Last edited: