BigWorm

Football- City Champs
Girls CC- City Champs and #1 individual
Boys CC - #1 individual
Volleyball- City Champs
Golf?
Soccer?
Girls Soccer?

The eastside of Akron is producing some pretty good football talent when you consider Tallmadge, Ellet and Mogadore. Three league champions within a two mile radius.

From what I gather if anyone of the three teams directly behind Ellet loses Ellet is in assumming they win. Also if New Philly in the 5th spot (playing Dover) loses it comes down to how the teams New Philly beat do. Wow this is fun.

In 1983 four teams had to lose in the final week for Garfield to get in. They all four lost, Garfield got in and rolled all the way to the state title game. Makes you wonder how many teams that really deserve to get in don't.

Was Gargield playing the Buchtel non-league schedule then?

Just a couple of years ago Buchtel backed in and then went the teh state championship

Was Gargield playing the Buchtel non-league schedule then?

Just a couple of years ago Buchtel backed in and then went the teh state championship

We were 9-0

Barberton (they were pretty good back then)
Massillon - (Chris Spellman)
St. V -they won the state championship in 81' and 82'. And I think they made the playoff's in 83' also. (Frank Stams)

Only one team in the City scored on us. Firestone. I think it was 35-14.

I can only remember waiting for 2 teams to lose so we could get in, but I could be wrong. Back then only the top two teams from each region made it.

We played Alliance, then Mentor Lake Catholic (had the Sullivan Brothers - both went to Ohio State)

Then got beat by Cincinnati Princeton - Had three backs with over a 1,000 yards each.

Oh, and one other thing.

In the week before the championship game, Garfield was ranked 3rd in the nation in USA Today. If we would have won, we would have been the paper national champion. The top three teams lost their state championships.

Last edited:
Wow great story. It is so funny that they had a "national champion" back then. It is so screwy now I cant imagine how bad it was back them lol