Confirmed Covid Shutdowns- OHIO

They didn’t get 200 in March. For the first month of this time in discussion we barely had 1000 tests a day across the state.
True, March testing numbers were painfully low. But early April these pop up site and clinics were taking off. Just did a Google search to refresh my memory on Mahoning Valley testing. 1000 in Austintown in one day. Several hundred in Columbiana and Campbell. Imagine bigger areas in the state. I really think you're underestimating non hospital testing. That's including prisons and nursing homes.

True, March testing numbers were painfully low. But early April these pop up site and clinics were taking off. Just did a Google search to refresh my memory on Mahoning Valley testing. 1000 in Austintown in one day. Several hundred in Columbiana and Campbell. Imagine bigger areas in the state. I really think you're underestimating non hospital testing. That's including prisons and nursing homes.
Do you really think 1500 Positive for 30,000 tests is cause for concern?

Sandy Valley football conditioning has been put on hold. Waiting on results of a player who has symptoms & was tested... Players parent & sibling have tested positive!!! Prayers for ALL......

Do you really think 1500 Positive for 30,000 tests is cause for concern?
No I dont. I posted earlier on another topic that the key is deaths and ICU admits. As long as those numbers dont skyrocket we will be fine. I dont understand shutting down programs with 1 positive. Isolate and quarantine that athlete. Remain vigilant on checking other athletes. Make sure you clean common areas thoroughly. Strongly consider professional cleaners (more than once). Notify families via group email with respect to privacy to the positive covid athlete.

No I dont. I posted earlier on another topic that the key is deaths and ICU admits. As long as those numbers dont skyrocket we will be fine. I dont understand shutting down programs with 1 positive. Isolate and quarantine that athlete. Remain vigilant on checking other athletes. Make sure you clean common areas thoroughly. Strongly consider professional cleaners (more than once). Notify families via group email with respect to privacy to the positive covid athlete.

I agree with everything you said !!!

Portsmouth area is apparently shutting down 4 athletic programs today, any confirmation on which ones?

I dont understand shutting down programs with 1 positive. Isolate and quarantine that athlete.
Let's work through this scenario. One player has tested positive. Let's assume the test is correct.

Since it doesn't show immediately, there have probably been at least a few days of contact practices. HIIPA and FERPA now invoke. You can't say, "hey, anyone that had contact with such and such, you now have to quarantine."

How do you not shut down?

Let's work through this scenario. One player has tested positive. Let's assume the test is correct.

Since it doesn't show immediately, there have probably been at least a few days of contact practices. HIIPA and FERPA now invoke. You can't say, "hey, anyone that had contact with such and such, you now have to quarantine."

How do you not shut down?
Unfortunately you are probably correct.

This is incorrect. The mortality rate of covid19 continues to drop and is likely to fall bellow that of the normal seasonal flu. Among those under 45 the mortality rate is already as low or lower then that for the flu.
I've not read of a single epidemiologist who shares that belief.

I've not read of a single epidemiologist who shares that belief.

I have.

Keep in mind that the current fatality rate calculated as a percentage is not a very good way to compare covid to the flu because even with increased testing the numerator for covid is still artificially low. We won't know until a year from now the true mortality rate of covid but it's been going down (as expected) as testing has increased and is now approaching levels in the under 45 age group equal to or less then that seen for the seasonal flu.

Here's a link to total deaths as a function of age from the CDC:

Check out the graph under age/sex to see how few under 18 & under 45 have died from the covid19

Here's a link to total flu deaths by age.

In the nasty flu season of 2017/18 a total of 528 kids from 5 - 17 died from the flu.

Keep in mind that covid deaths are being counted with a much higher sensitivity then flu deaths. That is anyone who dies with a covid infection is listed in the data base. This has likely led to a pretty big inflation ion covid deaths versus yearly flu deaths.

Most calculations I have seen is that for the kids (5 - 18) who will be playing sports the fatality & hospitalization rates for covid infection is significantly lower then what we would see with the yearly flu.

If you want to follow a good hospital system on their experiences with covid virus ....follow UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center....Presby is to lungs as the Clinic is to hearts) and their press conferences....latest one is today

DeWine says next 30 days are critical to hs football.

You want to see football? Wash your hands, WEAR A MASK, and stay out of crowded indoor places. Otherwise, " Bye, bye, fall sports." If we all don't get some discipline and get this thing under control, no amount of complaining will start the season.

DeWine says next 30 days are critical to hs football.

You want to see football? Wash your hands, WEAR A MASK, and stay out of crowded indoor places. Otherwise, " Bye, bye, fall sports." If we all don't get some discipline and get this thing under control, no amount of complaining will start the season.

Are you new here? This whole things a hoax to get football across the country moved to the Spring.

Now that the BIG 10 has canceled all non conference games it is looking more and more like the season will not start until maybe the second week in September. This is a desperate attempt to buy a little more time before pulling the plug. Even OSU AD is skeptical now that we will see any fall football at any level. GBM

It is much more important to be right than to do the right thing for too many people. Summit county just went into the mandatory mask wearing in public category .