Conference Power Rankings after week 3

Clyde Frog

With three weeks of the season completed, and conferences already beginning conference-play, what are your power rankings for the conferences in FBS college football?

How you determine your rankings and what criteria they are based on is your choice. However, please provide a small explanation of what you're basing your rankings on.

For me, my rankings are based on current success of all conference members, with emphasis being placed on match-ups versus D-I schools, not D-IAA (FCS) schools, though those are taken into account to a lesser extent. I am not basing my rankings on which conference I believe the national champion will come from, just from performance up to this point.

My rankings
1. SEC - Alabama is showing no signs of a let down anytime soon. Loss by Ole Miss to Jacksonville State is a major let down. SEC has six top 25 teams in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

2. Big Ten - With Ohio State leading the way, the Big Ten has had a good showing so far. OSU's win over Miami(FL.) was a marquee win for the conference, and even with Iowa's loss at Arizona, the Big Ten doesn't have many big upset losses except for Minnesota losing to South Dakota. Big Ten has six top 25 teams in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

3. Pac-10 - The Pac-10 has been a quietly impressive conference so far. Oregon is looking good, especially after a 48-13 victory over Tennessee. Stanford has been rolling under QB Andrew Luck, and Arizona won a big game over Iowa. This may be the most competitive conference race in college football this season. Pac-10 has three top 25 teams in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

4. Big XII - Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas have been rolling. After that, the talent level drops off. Mizzou and Oklahoma State are hovering at the bottom of the top 25, but who knows how long they'll stay there. I'd be very surprised to see a team represent the Big XII in their BCS game not named Oklahoma, Texas or Nebraska. Big XII has five top 25 teams in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

5. ACC - The ACC had a disastrous weekend two weekends ago, as all four of its top 25 teams lost. The ACC regained some leverage this weekend as Florida State smashed BYU and North Carolina State took down Cincinnati. However, Miami losing to Ohio State, Oklahoma running through FSU, Georgia Tech falling to Kansas, and Virginia Tech being upset by James Madison, a week after blowing a 4th quarter lead against Boise State in an essential home game, has not helped ACC's image. ACC has one top 25 team in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

6. Mountain West - TCU and Utah are leading this conference with both teams being ranked in the top 15. BYU posted a win against Washington, but teams such as Colorado State and New Mexico are keeping the conference down. MWC has two top 25 teams in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

7. Big East - Easily the worst of the six major conferences. No team has looked overly impressive thus far, with UConn losing an opening-week game to Michigan, Cincinnati going 0-2 vs. FBS teams, WVU needing a great comeback to beat Marshall in OT, and Pitt losing in the first week to Utah. WVU is looking like the best team in the conference thus far and could make some noise as conference-play begins, but a list of BCS title contenders thus far should not include any Big East teams. Big East has one top 25 team in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

8. WAC - Boise State is the only bright spot for this conference thus far, and Boise's opening win against Virginia Tech is looking less impressive now with VT being upset by James Madison. The rest of the conference has struggled, so the WAC needs Boise to stay undefeated for the conference to stay relevant this season, the last before BSU jumps ship to the Mountain West. WAC has one top 25 team in latest USA Today Coaches Poll.

9. Conference USA
10. MAC
11. Sun Belt

Last edited:

Auggie

If Oregon St. knocks of Boise next week I would reverse the Pac 10 and the Big 10.

As far as the big gap between the SEC and the rest I would say that has closed this year when looking at the entire conference. Vandy lost to NW in the academic bowl, UT got blown out at home, and with Ole Miss dropping one to a FCS schools shows the SEC is not immune to this type of upset. We will know if the Conference is a one trick pony as 'Bama plays @ Arkansas, Florida, & @ South Carolina in the next three weeks to see how deep the SEC is this year.

Past My Prime

If Oregon St. knocks of Boise next week I would reverse the Pac 10 and the Big 10.

As far as the big gap between the SEC and the rest I would say that has closed this year when looking at the entire conference. Vandy lost to NW in the academic bowl, UT got blown out at home, and with Ole Miss dropping one to a FCS schools shows the SEC is not immune to this type of upset. We will know if the Conference is a one trick pony as 'Bama plays @ Arkansas, Florida, & @ South Carolina in the next three weeks to see how deep the SEC is this year.
Exactly.

If Bama runs through these three teams it might just show that the SEC has the best team. Outside of that has any other SEC team looked overly impressive yet?? Maybe Auburn after their OT win @ home vs Clemson? We might need to wait a few weeks before deciding that the SEC is so much better than everyone else

Crusaders

I'd rank the SEC teams as:
Alabama
South Carolina
Arkansas
Florida
LSU
Auburn
Georgia
Kentucky
Miss. State
Tennessee