Conference Changes You Would Like to See

Two more schools in the MVL. No more, no less. Two tidy divisions, 5 divisional games, 2 crossovers, all count in league standings. Three nonleague games. It works.
Tecumseh and Bellbrook? seems like the best explanation to me. send both to the south and Sidney back to where they should be in the north.

Tecumseh will never leave the CBC on their own to "play up" as talent and participation numbers wise they are right where they belong.

Lima Senior would be an ideal MVL expansion target IMO except for the fact they would keep another north of Dayton school in the south division. Size and demographics they would fit in with Sidney, Piqua, Troy, etc. and they are an easy 30 minute to an hour drive up 75 for all of the schools along the 75 corridor north of Dayton. For them the travel would be much easier than in the TRAC, and they would be much more competitive across the board athletically.

Tecumseh will never leave the CBC on their own to "play up" as talent and participation numbers wise they are right where they belong.

Lima Senior would be an ideal MVL expansion target IMO except for the fact they would keep another north of Dayton school in the south division. Size and demographics they would fit in with Sidney, Piqua, Troy, etc. and they are an easy 30 minute to an hour drive up 75 for all of the schools along the 75 corridor north of Dayton. For them the travel would be much easier than in the TRAC, and they would be much more competitive across the board athletically.
I'd take it a step further.
2 separate leagues:
Western Interstate League
Lima Senior
Sidney
Piqua
Troy
Tipp City
Vandalia Butler
Greenville
Wapakoneta/Bellefontaine

Eastern Dayton Area Conference
Stebbins
Fairborn
Xenia
Bellbrook
Franklin
Tecumseh
West Carrolton
Kenton Ridge
Clinton Massie
Wilmington

I am curious though, why doesn't Tecumseh have the #'s to compete? If they wouldn't then drop them and west Carrolton from the scenerio and make it an even 8.

Last edited:
I am curious though, why doesn't Tecumseh have the #'s to compete? If they wouldn't then drop them and west Carrolton from the scenerio and make it an even 8.

Tecumseh has a pretty sizable migrant population in their district, and if you look at their athletic rosters these kids don't seem to be participating in anything but soccer.

When you adjust for their migrant/Hispanic population, Tecumseh should be about a mid-D3 in football and a large D2 in all other sports with Northwestern/Greenon type demographics. If they were in an MVL type league they'd be a bottom feeder. Most years Kenton Ridge and Shawnee would field stronger all-sports programs than them playing in that type of league. Competitively, the CBC is the best fit for them.

I'd take it a step further.
2 separate leagues:
Lima Senior
Sidney
Piqua
Troy
Tipp City
Vandalia Butler
Greenville
Wapakoneta/Bellefontaine

Stebbins
Fairborn
Xenia
Bellbrook
Franklin
Tecumseh
West Carrolton
Kenton Ridge
Clinton Massie
Wilmington

i like your first league a LOT. almost too good to be true. your bottom league, i’m not sure. kenton ridge will NOT leave Shawnee and Northwestern. drop tecumseh and Kenton ridge and i think it would work as an 8 team league. in the other league have wapakoneta and not bellefontaine.

i like your first league a LOT. almost too good to be true. your bottom league, i’m not sure. kenton ridge will NOT leave Shawnee and Northwestern. drop tecumseh and Kenton ridge and i think it would work as an 8 team league. in the other league have wapakoneta and not bellefontaine.
I'd rather have Wapak in the first league as well. Id call it the Western Interstate League. The 2nd league I tried to throw something together that seemed plausible. Really I wanted a league that included Clinton Massie

Last edited:
The 75 corridor league with Wapak makes a ton of sense IMO outside of Wapak having to chuck 80+ years of WBL history out the window to make it work. Travel, enrollments and demographics would be about as good as one could hope for.

The south of the MVL seems to have a few misfits that have had trouble sticking and/or competing just about anywhere. I don't know that it's possible to create a fully logical league with the pieces to work with. If a northern league ever broke off of the MVL then in the south I think the best setup probably looks like 10 teams with two divisions. Fairborn, Xenia, Stebbins, West Carrollton and Trotwood on one side with Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe, Edgewood and maybe Hamilton Ross in a SWBL/SWOC division. Something like a "metro" division for the Dayton and inner ring misfits and an "exurban" division for the too big/too small misfits south of Dayton stretching into the Middletown and Hamilton area.

Last edited:
The 75 corridor league with Wapak makes a ton of sense IMO outside of Wapak having to chuck 80+ years of WBL history out the window to make it work. Travel, enrollments and demographics would be about as good as one could hope for.

The south of the MVL seems to have a few misfits that have had trouble sticking and/or competing just about anywhere. I don't know that it's possible to create a fully logical league with the pieces to work with. If a northern league ever broke off of the MVL then in the south I think the best setup probably looks like 10 teams with two divisions. Fairborn, Xenia, Stebbins, West Carrollton and Trotwood on one side with Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe, Edgewood and maybe Hamilton Ross in a SWBL/SWOC division.
I always include Wapakoneta because they are the biggest school in the WBL and they would act as sort of a bridge to Lima Senior so to speak if that makes sense. Plus if Waynesfield Goshen closes one day, that might make Wapak even bigger. Of course that is hypothetical. With the stadium renovations that are supposed to happen in the offseason, Wapak will be on par with the others in that conference. I get the whole WBL history thing but it's still fun to talk about.

That 2nd league was hard to put together because you're right. There is a few schools that wouldn't compete anywhere. I wanted to keep it as close and compact as possible and find a destination for Clinton Massie to be in a better league. I thought Wilmington would go along in that scenario.

what if you dropped Urbana and Graham from the league? then KR is your farthest, and that can’t be bad. 7 team play everyone in football too. and Urbana is the only team that’s 50 plus minutes i believe. and the League is solid Harbins for everyone, all D4 and D5. almost everyone in the league has been solid at football a couple times in the decade. across all sports it seems fairly balanced.

as for the TRC, what i like most is how competitive it will be in most sports. it’s a little odd of a fit, but for the situation everyone was in, it seemed to be alright. i just don’t think it’s sustainable, like you said. disregarding leagues, who would you like to see added? genuinely want to hear what you think

Milton-Union is about a 45 minute drive from KR, and somewhere in the range of 35-45 minutes from all of the theoretical Clark county schools and Graham.

I see this largely taking care of itself in the next ten years or so as eventually IMO the CBC will have a few open slots again and Bethel as well as Greenon (part two) will grow into logical expansions. The league will either reconfigure with those two or there will be an implosion with schools disagreeing about divisional alignments and geography. Bethel and Greenon are going to eventually find their way into the same league as Tecumseh, KR, NW and Shawnee.

Milton-Union is about a 45 minute drive from KR, and somewhere in the range of 35-45 minutes from all of the theoretical Clark county schools and Graham.

I see this largely taking care of itself in the next ten years or so as eventually IMO the CBC will have a few open slots again and Bethel as well as Greenon (part two) will grow into logical expansions. The league will either reconfigure with those two or there will be an implosion with schools disagreeing about divisional alignments and geography. Bethel and Greenon are going to eventually find their way into the same league as Tecumseh, KR, NW and Shawnee.
as it should be! Miami East and Graham would be my next two to go with them, but we all know Graham and Urbana are a package deal. needing a 10th, it has to be Milton. I wouldn't put much thought into a candidate like Dayton Northridge or Northeastern, but it's possible. I guess if Stebbins was once in a league with them, so could Northridge (I still don't get why Stebbins was ever in the CBC, just doesn't make sense)

Last edited:
I'd rather have Wapak in the first league as well. Id call it the Western Interstate League. The 2nd league I tried to throw something together that seemed plausible. Really I wanted a league that included Clinton Massie
I really like this western interstate league. Bellefontaine has a good home now in my opinion. so does Wapak, but this league is probably better for them. if Wapak left, kick out Defiance and roll with an 8 team WBL, and that's a really solid league. I would love to see Bellefontaine and Kenton team up in a league, but nothing really makes sense. as for Clinton Massie, I absolutely agree they should be in a Dayton area league. it it were me, Franklin, Bellbrook, Wilmington, Clinton Massie, West Carrollton, Stebbins, Fairborn, and Xenia works. I actually wouldn't mind having Valley View and Oakwood in their at all. Waynesville if you want.

as it should be! Miami East and Graham would be my next two to go with them, but we all know Graham and Urbana are a package deal. needing a 10th, it has to be Milton. I wouldn't put much thought into a candidate like Dayton Northridge or Northeastern, but it's possible. I guess if Stebbins was once in a league with them, so could Northridge (I still don't get why Stebbins was ever in the CBC, just doesn't make sense)

I would rather have Miami East with Graham as 7 and 8, but undoubtedly Graham and Urbana aren't going anywhere without each other at this point. The Northeastern of 15-20 years ago would be perfect, but those days of having competitive enrollment are long gone for them. They aren't ever going to get above D6 again in football IMO.

Stebbins seemed to stumble into the CBC by chance as it may have been the only option at the time for both. If not for Miami East bolting for the CCC I think Stebbins may have been stuck in the cold for a period of time following the MML implosion. At the time I don't think there's anyway Stebbins would have gotten in if London would have been interested in a CBC reunion at that time.

Last edited:
Just an idea that would help multiple schools with travel, but that has ZERO chance of happening. There's simply too much bad blood between the league and a couple of schools.

Defiance and Napoleon rejoin the NWOAL. NWOAL splits off in 2 5 team divisions. I figure Archbold wouldn't shy away of playing up and would value their rivalry with Wauseon, so the divisions would be:

West/Big School:
Defiance
Napoleon
Wauseon
Bryan
Archbold

East/Small School:
Liberty Center
Patrick Henry
Swanton
Evergreen
Delta

My idea would have only 1 REQUIRED crossover to take care of the bye week between week 6 and 10. Weeks 4 and 5 could be suggest cross overs, but not required. If Swanton, Evergreen, Delta etc. thinks Defiance is too far away and too big to play, they don't have to.

To fill Defiance's WBL spot, either Lima Senior or LCC joins.

Note: I've heard no grumblings about Defiance, Napoleon, the WBL, or the NLL being unhappy. And the way the NWOAL forced both out back in the day, this would never happen.
Otsego would be a better fit than Defiance. Their conference is gonna fold in 2 years when Woodmore is playing 8 man football.

I have an interesting idea for a Federal League/ AAC variation.

West Division-Jackson,Hoover,Green ,Lake

Central Division-McKinley Perry GlenOak Massillon

East Division- Fitch, Boardman, Warren Harding, Louisville

Each year, there are seven league games. Each team plays all three divisional opponents in Weeks 8-10 and two teams from each of the other divisions in Weeks 4-7. Every two years the cross-division opponents rotate. A team will have played every league opponent home and away at least once during any four-year period.

Last edited:

Each year, there are seven league games. Each team plays all three divisional opponents in Weeks 8-10 and two teams from each of the other divisions in Weeks 4-7. Every two years the cross-division opponents rotate. A team will have played every league opponent home and away at least once during any four-year period.
I like the idea. But I think the Youngstown area schools would be on board with any kind of league that could lock in 7/10ths of schedule. For Boardmsn it would be perfect as we could still continue rivalries with Mooney and Canfield and could have Ursuline probably as 3rd non-conf. We’d only be giving up 1 regular season local opponent w/ Howland, but who knows how long that series will last, as I can see Howland to NE8 when Jefferson inevitably leaves. We have Poland on a 2 year deal now, but I see no way Poland makes that game a regular series.

For Boardman that would be a nice mix of 5 local games and 5 Canton-area opponents. So max 3 out of area games and scheduling is a breeze.

For the current Fed schools they would only have 1 trip to Youngstown each year. Question is would the the west division be happy potentially trading off Perry and GO in some years for Massillon and a Ytown school? That top division would definitely be the hardest to convince.

Maybe there could be some kind of loose scheduling affiliation for non-football sports as well.

The south of the MVL seems to have a few misfits that have had trouble sticking and/or competing just about anywhere. I don't know that it's possible to create a fully logical league with the pieces to work with. If a northern league ever broke off of the MVL then in the south I think the best setup probably looks like 10 teams with two divisions. Fairborn, Xenia, Stebbins, West Carrollton and Trotwood on one side with Bellbrook, Franklin, Monroe, Edgewood and maybe Hamilton Ross in a SWBL/SWOC division. Something like a "metro" division for the Dayton and inner ring misfits and an "exurban" division for the too big/too small misfits south of Dayton stretching into the Middletown and Hamilton area.

Yes, if you want Trotwood to eat that conference alive in football and basketballI I say go for it. I think Trotwood should stay an independent. That works best for them and there isn’t a league they wouldn’t absolutely dominate other than the GCL, which they obviously can’t be a part of, and the GWOC, also which they obviously can’t be a part of.

I like this league for Wapak a lot better. Being in the WBL is good for all other sports, but in football when you need computer points it is not good for Wapak. With a league that has one OOC game, the conference opponents beat up on each other. Also, the WBL has no D2 teams, 5 D3 teams (Celina, Defiance, Elida, Shawnee, Wapak), and 5 D4 teams (Bath, OG, Kenton, St. Mary’s and Van Wert) with Bath and OG occasionally going D5. The teams they play are also a bunch of country schools that don’t have the athletes that prepare them for the region 12 playoffs that are loaded with private school or city boy athletes. Harbin’s are hard to come by. In your proposed league, there would be 3 D2 teams and the rest D3, along with 3 OOC games instead of 1. This would never happen, but I would kill for a Lima Senior home and home with Wapak for the future.

You realize due to competitive balance that most conferences are switching to 8 team alignment. Milton, Miami East, Bethel aren’t going to entertain joining CBC schools since they haven’t played the first year in the TRC.
MU to KR, Graham, Urbana, etc can be an hour. Remember it’s bus travel time not car travel time. Milton traveling that much would be worse than the SWBL is. Waynesville is 50 minutes on a good driving day.
CBC will likely split at some point into two smaller leagues, at least that seems to be the movement.

You realize due to competitive balance that most conferences are switching to 8 team alignment. Milton, Miami East, Bethel aren’t going to entertain joining CBC schools since they haven’t played the first year in the TRC.
MU to KR, Graham, Urbana, etc can be an hour. Remember it’s bus travel time not car travel time. Milton traveling that much would be worse than the SWBL is. Waynesville is 50 minutes on a good driving day.
CBC will likely split at some point into two smaller leagues, at least that seems to be the movement.
8 is fine. i’m okay leaving graham and urbana out. leave it at Milton, Miami East, Bethel, Tecumseh, Northwestern, Greenon, Shawnee, and KR. that’s a fine league all around. Milton to KR really isn’t that bad, and you can avoid most traffic. i’d say it’s an easy drive on 70 and 68. with all these team likely being small D4/big D5 this almost makes too much sense.

Yes, if you want Trotwood to eat that conference alive in football and basketballI I say go for it. I think Trotwood should stay an independent. That works best for them and there isn’t a league they wouldn’t absolutely dominate other than the GCL, which they obviously can’t be a part of, and the GWOC, also which they obviously can’t be a part of.
K hear me out. Take this league:

Trotwood-Madison
Winton-Woods
Mount Healthy
Hamilton
Princeton
Withrow
Northwest
Middletown.
I think you would have a decent league for both football and basketball.

K hear me out. Take this league:

Trotwood-Madison
Winton-Woods
Mount Healthy
Hamilton
Princeton
Withrow
Northwest
Middletown.
I think you would have a decent league for both football and basketball.
leave out Withrow and Northwest and i like it. they wouldn’t compete as well. a 6 team league is fine for me. maybe get Colerain and someone else, and you’re in business

leave out Withrow and Northwest and i like it. they wouldn’t compete as well. a 6 team league is fine for me. maybe get Colerain and someone else, and you’re in business
Maybe, but you have at least five out of that league in the playoffs every year.

For the foreseeable future, Trotwood and any association with the GWOC and the MVL is fantasy. Maybe someday down the line, but not right now. It'll be interesting to see how long they stay independent.

For the foreseeable future, Trotwood and any association with the GWOC and the MVL is fantasy. Maybe someday down the line, but not right now. It'll be interesting to see how long they stay independent.
I can see them joining a Cincinnati league soon.

How would this be good for Louisville? If they wanted to play a schedule like this they would just be in the Fed. I like the talk of Louisville joining a football only SVC of Mooney, Ursuline, East, Chaney, Canfield Howland, and Big Red. They could join the AAC for all other sports with Fitch, Boardman, Warren, Howland and Canfield.

I know the title of this thread is "Conference Changes You Would to See, however there are several reasons this will not take place, at the present time.

How would this be good for Louisville? If they wanted to play a schedule like this they would just be in the Fed. I like the talk of Louisville joining a football only SVC of Mooney, Ursuline, East, Chaney, Canfield Howland, and Big Red. They could join the AAC for all other sports with Fitch, Boardman, Warren, Howland and Canfield.
Louisville would only play four games against Federal League teams in my scenario. They already do that. I think it would be better than being independent. Your idea makes sense as well and is probably way more realistic. There really aren't many good options for the Leopards. Maybe a league with Louisville, Dover, New Philly, Alliance, Central and Stuebenville for football would make sense.