competitive balance

I was suprised to see SVSM and Dover are the smallest schools in Division 2. Just one player above D3. Would have been interesting to see how each fared in D3 playoffs this year.

Why is Marion Local's Competitive balance number only 5? Maybe I don't understand it.
Been a long time since I read how that number is generated, but to cut to the core, that number tells how many transfers a school has that occur after 9th grade. So, the more truly community schools typically will have a very low number, private schools and publics that recruit will have a large number.

Because the “Competitive Balance” implementation doesn’t address literal competitive balance.
I think the second amendment they voted on did have that, it took 4 tries to get it passed, and it was only at the threat of separation that privates got on board.

Been a long time since I read how that number is generated, but to cut to the core, that number tells how many transfers a school has that occur after 9th grade. So, the more truly community schools typically will have a very low number, private schools and publics that recruit will have a large number.

You’re funny! CB is based on the number of players who live outside the ohsaa designated “home” school boundaries. Parents and students can choose to open enroll to another school district. They aren’t transfers in 9th grade. All students are new to the school. I won’t say no players are recruited but most on their own choose to attend the school of their choice. They are penalized for it not being their home school.

You are “recruiting obsessed.”

It's complicated, but in essence:

Single HS public districts- Student and parent live in district- 0. Student and parent live outside of district but have attended said district continuously since 7th grade- 1. All others- 2. Move ins don't hurt you. Open enrollment does, but it's lessened if it was 7th grade or before. Open enrollment in HS gets max points.

Multi HS public districts- Student and parent live in chosen school's attendance zone- 0. Live inside the district but attend a school that isn't your home school- 1. All others follow single HS rules for continuous enrollment since 7th grade.

Private- Student attended designated feeder school (within 12.5 miles of HS) since 7th grade- 0. Student attended the system but not the designated feeder- 1. All others- 2.

So yes, in essence....you recruit or have kids enroll at your school without physically living inside the district, you're hammered.

I think the second amendment they voted on did have that, it took 4 tries to get it passed, and it was only at the threat of separation that privates got on board.
Even if the privates voted 100% against the proposal (any proposal) there aren't enough of them to stop a proposal from passing.