Commonly mislocated schools

How does calling the school Lima Shawnee make people think it’s somewhere it’s not? It’s damn near in Lima, which sure helps to differentiate it from the one in Clark County.
I wonder what the people who go/went to Shawnee High School think about calling it something that it is not.

interesting tidbit to add: currently Greenon goes by Springfield Greenon, but with the new school being finished in 2021, it will become Enon Greenon. the new school is being built about 4 miles down the road, but inside the village of Enon limits.

We have Holland Springfield HS. It's one of four districts (Whitehouse, Swanton, Sylvania) which surround Spencer Township, whose kids are part of Toledo Public because those four districts didn't want the Spencer kids because they were too, uh, too.... rural I guess. So the story goes. Could have been other reasons.

The OHSAA has created much of this confusion. For instance, Shawnee's true name is Shawnee High School and it's part of Shawnee Local School District. However, OHSAA has decided to add an additional name (Lima) to the school's name. The Ohio Department of Education DOES NOT add a city name for their use. This is true for many if not most schools.
Shawnee High School
3333 Zurmehly Road
Lima, Ohio 45806

Weird.

As for Elmwood, the elementary school was located in Bloomdale until the district built its new school next to the old high school, which now serves as a community center.
One of the elementary schools was in Bloomdale. There were also elementary buildings in Wayne, Cygnet, and Portage Township. The junior high (later middle school) was also in Cygnet.

I remember Midpark being referred to as Cleveland Midpark in the early 2000s by the OHSAA... kind of like Cleveland Orange, it never made sense.

Maybe Orange at one time was served by a Cleveland post office, but Midpark assuredly never was. It was right next to Berea (Berea City Schools are Berea, Brook Park and Middleburg Heights). ... and Berea has had a post office for probably 150 years being one of the few burbs that has a decent amount of population going back pre civil war.

Kansas is located in Seneca County just of Route 635 just below the border with Sandusky County. Its where the old Lakota Junior High used to be before that it was known as Amsden-Jackson-Liberty Local School District before merging with Jackson Burgoon, Rising Sun, and Bradner. I was born and raised in nearby Bellevue and get a kick when people mention Lakota, that school is literally out in the middle of nowhere......I think Rising Sun is closer to the school than Kansas is.
More than 40 years ago I had a job interview in Elmore for Woodmore High School in the morning and another interview at Elmwood HS in the afternoon. I was a little confused.

The best mislocated school story I ever heard is decades older. Maybe back in the fifties a man showed up at the Clyde board office for a job interview with Kalida Schools. Clyde/Kalida, they're only 75 miles apart. After the confusion was sorted out Clyde hired him. He retired from Clyde after teaching and coaching multiple sports at the high school and junior high. Generations of Fliers called him Coach.

I attended grade school in Risingsun Ohio. In the Lakota High school district. Not even close to Lakota East or Lakota West. It's in NW Ohio-now called Kansas Lakota. (No idea where Kansas is actually)
Kansas is 9 miles east of Risingsun and 4 miles SE of Lakota HS.

Was mentioned earlier but before South Range had a Canfield post address . They were North Lima South Range!! No where near Lima and the North/ South was strange!!

Just some other Stark County history....Beach City (Pirates), Brewster (Railroaders) and the Navarre (Rams) consolidated to form Fairless in 1960.

The Uniontown (Bobcats) and the Hartville Blue Streaks consolidated to form Lake in 1958.

Township schools in NE Stark County, Washington (Warriors), Lexington (Lions) & Marlboro Dukes, consolidated to form Marlington in 1960.

I wonder what the people who go/went to Shawnee High School think about calling it something that it is not.
I went to Shawnee (the one near Springfield) and I do not care. When there are 3 Shawnees in Ohio you need some way to differentiate them. The OHSAA has an identifier number for each school but I think city names make things a little simpler for the fans.

Not sure where you get your Tecumseh info but that district has been New Carlisle Tecumseh since it’s formation in 1952. Also, Tipp City Bethel is called that due to being served by the Tipp post office.

The city that precedes the school name is the POST OFFICE locale of the district. Springfield has one city school but many in Clark County are served by the Springfield post office. Greenon was one. In the early 80s we played Springfield Greenon. Now it’s Enon Greenon. West Milton Milton-Union. W Milton due to the postal address. If it were 2 miles to the west it would be Potsdam Milton-Union. Bethel will always be Tipp City Bethel unless Huber annexes it. Clayton Northmont is another one. Known for being Englewood, but located in Clayton Postal service area.
937-845-9414, Tipp City Bethel has a New Carlisle phone number.

OHSAA calls the school in Morrow County “Marengo” Highland but the school is 10 minutes from Marengo and instead is 15 seconds of Sparta. I believe it used to be known in tournament play as “Sparta Highland.”

How about Westerville Central being geographically north of Westerville North?

Yeah I don't get that one....the school is literally in Sparta.

The Sandusky River actually flows north and is the only river in Ohio to do so

No, it definitely isn't.

The Cuyahoga flows north for quite a bit of its journey. The Auglaize flows north. The Ashtabula, Vermilion, and Chagrin all go north for most of their path.

Actually, most rivers in the northern part of the state flow at least somewhat north. Gotta get to the lake somehow.

Preble Shawnee is listed as being in Camden. When in reality it sits in Gratis Township in between the village of Gratis, West Elkton, and is about 10 minutes East of Camden.

Not weird at all. Shawnee does not have a post office and is serviced by Lima post office, so address is Lima. This happens quite a bit around the state/country
So you're saying that high schools, like most everything else, can be located by their mailing address?

Weird.

Its not that deep. The city/town names attached to the schools are to give a geographical reference as to area/location. Examples would be Cin St X. There are a few St Xs out there like in Ky for example. Princeton is another example. Someone not familar with SW Ohio football may not know where Princeton is located. Who would know where Huber Heights is without the geographical reference of Dayton "area" ? Geographical references is all they are.

Its not that deep. The city/town names attached to the schools are to give a geographical reference as to area/location. Examples would be Cin St X. There are a few St Xs out there like in Ky for example. Princeton is another example. Someone not familar with SW Ohio football may not know where Princeton is located. Who would know where Huber Heights is without the geographical reference of Dayton "area" ? Geographical references is all they are.
Wayne High School
5400 Chambersburg Road
Huber Heights, OH 45424

Turns out it is the mailing address.

Weird.

Are there situations in Ohio where sports teams use the city and not the school name? Massillon? Coal Grove? Delta? Sebring? St Marys? Campbell? Amherst?

In Trumbull County...

-Niles (McKinley)
-Poland (Seminary)
-Southington (Chalker)

It’s very rare to hear these schools referred to by their actual names, which is kinda ironic since President McKinley was from Niles. I used to be a correspondent for the Tribune Chronicle and my first game was McDonald @ Southington in 2006. I remember being totally confused when my directions were for “Chalker High School.”

Then again, I’ve also found that many outsiders simply refer to Warren G. Harding as “Warren.”