Columbus bidding on state finals

My link is with traffic. Your's is avoiding highways and tolls, idiot. You're a genius for not clicking the train icon.

Oregon Trail Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Massillon gets rejected and remains butthurt forever. Same with their attempts to join the Fed. Plus the last time they hosted a state final it didn't go too well.
what happened the last time Massillon hosted ( by the way what year was it?) what went wrong, I've been to the State Championships where they hosted a game, seems like everything went well...

what happened the last time Massillon hosted ( by the way what year was it?) what went wrong, I've been to the State Championships where they hosted a game, seems like everything went well...
The parking guy was smoking and a cloud of carcinogens entered my car. Snow wasn't removed from the stands, and geezers were struggling to their seats. And when we left, the mud lot had a river of slushy mud. And our team lost. lol

2:30 on my Google.

Canfield rarely has teams in the state final, but wouldn't their fans happily drive to Cincinnati to see another once in a generation state championship game? Ironton to Canton is nearly 4 hours. Columbus would be 2 hours.
No one "happily" drives to Cincinnati for anything. They can keep that disgusting sugar spaghetti sauce that masquerades as chili as well.

No one "happily" drives to Cincinnati for anything. They can keep that disgusting sugar spaghetti sauce that masquerades as chili as well.
Yeah. The chili is silly. But the idea of keeping the finals northeast because tomato canfield shows up 2% of the years, while Ironton, who has played in the finals 20 percent of the years, drives four hours is nuts.

My link is with traffic. Your's is avoiding highways and tolls, idiot. You're a genius for not clicking the train icon.
What tolls are there on the way to Columbus from Canfield? The turnpike is actually out of the way, it doesn't help you to take the turnpike. Am I missing something?

I "haapily" make the 1:45 drive to Cincinnati about ten times a year.

As for Skyline, just forget the word "chili". Skyline spaghetti sauce is awesome.

What tolls are there on the way to Columbus from Canfield? The turnpike is actually out of the way, it doesn't help you to take the turnpike. Am I missing something?
1669400363004.png

You're missing the unchecking of that top box. Avoid highways puts you on state route 3 or US-62 dodging horse puckey instead of I-71.

It DID go well, I think he's referring to the final score, Massillon lost to Hoban by 29....ouch. ironically....HIS team hosted the finals the last time the bullpups made it and they lost by 40.

This year you could very likely have Ed's in D-I, Massillon or Hoban in D-II, so you are guaranteed one in D-II, Canfield or Holy Name, so you are guaranteed one in D-III as well. In D-IV there is Jefferson, Glenville and Steubenville (was in R9 most recently), so it could be Glenville vs Steubenville. In D-V there is Canfield South Range. In D-VI there is Kirtland and in D-VII there is JFK. So for the 7 games you will have at least 3 NEO teams in the championship game, and you most likely will have 6 NEO teams and could have as many as 8 if you count Steubenville which isn't exactly NEO but they were in region 9 and 13 most recently. So they would seem to have the majority this year.
Interesting. In 2021, 9 of the 14 participants were closer to Columbus.

The geographic center of ohio is near Centerburg OH (hence the name) which is only roughly 4 miles difference between Columbus and Canton. The population center is closer to Columbus (northeast of Cbus) with Canton 60 miles further than Columbus from the center (90 vs 30). With Columbus being by far the largest city in the state this still points out that the northeast region of the state is the most populated. Having finals in Cincinnati or Toledo is a terrible idea. Rotating Columbus and Canton is probably the best solution.

Presuming that Canton and Columbus have bids of the same competitiveness (price, offerings etc), one would think the next step is assessing the opportunity for increased ticket sales.

Identifying that opportunity… it probably boils down to the demographics. Impartial adult spectators; or coaches, players and parents of schools that are nearby but not competing? Which demographic is better represented and has the most interest in watching games in December? This would probably entail survey work.

Number of athletes is the better way because it does increase the OHSAA costs substantially. Insurance coverage for each athlete. More athletes= more paperwork (making sure physicals are on file, more athletes = more transfers, etc) which means more work/hours required, which would presumably affect staffing costs.

So here are the last financials posted. Insurance total is less than a million and quite of bit of that are not related to students. So lets say there are 300k athletes in Ohio (complete guess) that is about $2 of cost per kid. As you can see nearly 60% of cost are putting on tournament. Plus looking at number of teams in Michigan I have hard time believing that Ohio has 100k more participates would like to see support for that.

So your are saying that HS submit physicals and other paper work to OHSAA what process do they use to do that? Do schools scan them in and send them electronically or do they ship boxes of paperwork? My experience is the HS AD is the one that does lots of work with transfers so what is OSHAA role in that process?

You seem to have insider experience that I do not have so I would greatly appreciate you educate me on these questions and the ones I asked in my prior e-mail. The more details you can shares the better to help me understand OHSAA cost/revenue structure.
1669406559425.png

So here are the last financials posted. Insurance total is less than a million and quite of bit of that are not related to students. So lets say there are 300k athletes in Ohio (complete guess) that is about $2 of cost per kid. As you can see nearly 60% of cost are putting on tournament. Plus looking at number of teams in Michigan I have hard time believing that Ohio has 100k more participates would like to see support for that.

So your are saying that HS submit physicals and other paper work to OHSAA what process do they use to do that? Do schools scan them in and send them electronically or do they ship boxes of paperwork? My experience is the HS AD is the one that does lots of work with transfers so what is OSHAA role in that process?

You seem to have insider experience that I do not have so I would greatly appreciate you educate me on these questions and the ones I asked in my prior e-mail. The more details you can shares the better to help me understand OHSAA cost/revenue structure.
View attachment 36527
Physicals are electronic. It’s not the hard documents themselves, just more of a check box “yes student X has a physical on file with school” type thing.
No, AD’s do not do most of the work with transfers. Every single athlete transfer requires paperwork sent to the OHSAA office. The OHSAA has to verify the information is accurate, correct mistakes, and sometimes call out schools on bad information.

Does the MHSAA service middle schools as well? A lot of state associations don’t, that could be where the big difference in athletes is coming from.

The OHSAA checks to make sure all athletes’ physicals are on file?
No, that's the school's job. However, there's still in excess of 100,000 additional names on eligiblity certificates to account for.

Again, this isn't the sole reason why Ohio's budget is so much larger.

Physicals are electronic. It’s not the hard documents themselves, just more of a check box “yes student X has a physical on file with school” type thing.
No, AD’s do not do most of the work with transfers. Every single athlete transfer requires paperwork sent to the OHSAA office. The OHSAA has to verify the information is accurate, correct mistakes, and sometimes call out schools on bad information.

Does the MHSAA service middle schools as well? A lot of state associations don’t, that could be where the big difference in athletes is coming from.
My kids needed to turn in a paper signed off by physician to the AD office the rest was done electronically in final form. Do other schools not have there kids turn in paperwork for doctor? So what roll does the OHSAA have with physical forms since you said they did? So OHSAA reviews the paperwork submitted by AD's on transfer what are there about 1,000 every year how much time does that take?

You have lots more knowledge than I do about the OSHAA so it would get great if could answer other question have ask in this thread. The biggest being what is the cost of insurance for each kid, the numbers seem to show about $2? I would also like to know why they need revenue of about 8 million more than expenses. Thanks.

No, that's the school's job. However, there's still in excess of 100,000 additional names on eligiblity certificates to account for.

Again, this isn't the sole reason why Ohio's budget is so much larger.

I still struggle that there is 100k more kids playing HS sports in OH than MI any link to that. Could it be number of sports participated so a kids could count as 3 if played a sport each season? If so I would assume that there is only 1 eligibility certificate for each kid regardless of number of sports played. How much is the cost to account for the eligibility certificates? From my experience that work is nearly all done at the school level.

So what are the other reason Ohio's budget is twice as much and how much do those other things costs. From my limited experience/knowledge things in MI are run very close to how they are in OH.

I still struggle that there is 100k more kids playing HS sports in OH than MI any link to that. Could it be number of sports participated so a kids could count as 3 if played a sport each season? If so I would assume that there is only 1 eligibility certificate for each kid regardless of number of sports played. How much is the cost to account for the eligibility certificates? From my experience that work is nearly all done at the school level.

So what are the other reason Ohio's budget is twice as much and how much do those other things costs. From my limited experience/knowledge things in MI are run very close to how they are in OH.
The number doesn’t just count HS. It also counts junior high. If Michigan doesn’t count junior high, that could be a big part of the difference

My kids needed to turn in a paper signed off by physician to the AD office the rest was done electronically in final form. Do other schools not have there kids turn in paperwork for doctor? So what roll does the OHSAA have with physical forms since you said they did? So OHSAA reviews the paperwork submitted by AD's on transfer what are there about 1,000 every year how much time does that take?

You have lots more knowledge than I do about the OSHAA so it would get great if could answer other question have ask in this thread. The biggest being what is the cost of insurance for each kid, the numbers seem to show about $2? I would also like to know why they need revenue of about 8 million more than expenses. Thanks.
There’s about 5,000-8,000 transfers each year, you’re way off on that number.

As I already stated, the OHSAA simply confirms each kid has a physical on file; an electronic process.

I don’t know what the cost of insurance is. I wasn’t the CFO. I was just generally pointing out some of the duties the OHSAA has that are dependent on the number of students, not simply the number of teams, which was your original question.

nor did I state they need a revenue 8 mil higher than expenses. You expressed the thought that number of athletes can’t really be a factor in cost difference. I’m letting you know that is incorrect- it can be, and is. That’s all.

The geographic center of ohio is near Centerburg OH (hence the name) which is only roughly 4 miles difference between Columbus and Canton. The population center is closer to Columbus (northeast of Cbus) with Canton 60 miles further than Columbus from the center (90 vs 30). With Columbus being by far the largest city in the state this still points out that the northeast region of the state is the most populated. Having finals in Cincinnati or Toledo is a terrible idea. Rotating Columbus and Canton is probably the best solution.
Columbus to Centerburg is 34 miles, Centerburg to Canton 96 miles.

Until there is a dome in this state, I would play December football games as far south as possible.
i just called a buddy of mine in Kentucky, he thinks he can get their schools stadium for a good rental fee..... i also have some connections around Norris Lake.... he hasn't returned my call yet....

According to Google Maps, it’s 2 hr 34 minutes from Canfield High School to Historic Crew Stadiu