Columbus bidding on state finals

Yeah, 99.9999% aren't driving 2hrs or even 1hr for a game that their favorite team isn't playing in.
That being said Crew stadium is a WAY better option than the shoe...
And same teams playing and winning on a regular basis year after year.

This is a load of crap! You are just making chit up now to push your point. And you also failed to mention the revenue the state gets from online viewers 🤷🏻‍♂️. I wont give an amount because I dont have access to OHSAA books and I’m guessing neither do you so stop with the BS. Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnatti or Canton will only get the games if they can sell AND execute the best product, period. And another thing, you keep pushing that Canton is so far away that nobody wants to drive there. Fact is Canton is only 60 miles further than C’bus from geographic center of Ohio, 2 hours round trip. Not exactly like driving from Cincy to Ashtabula. I get why anyone pushes for a particular city, you want C’bus because it is closer for you, I want Canton for same reason.
Can't speak for the other guys motives, but my motives are geographic. There's a rumor on this board that Dayton wants to host. If they move the Championships to Dayton that would be stupid, and I can get to Welcome Stadium in 45 minutes from the eastside of Cincinnati. The knock on Columbus was always that Ohio State was too big. The old soccer stadium that now has turf, and is right on 71 takes that argument away. From any spot in the state, you can get there in about two hours.

This is a load of crap! You are just making chit up now to push your point. And you also failed to mention the revenue the state gets from online viewers 🤷🏻‍♂️. I wont give an amount because I dont have access to OHSAA books and I’m guessing neither do you so stop with the BS. Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnatti or Canton will only get the games if they can sell AND execute the best product, period. And another thing, you keep pushing that Canton is so far away that nobody wants to drive there. Fact is Canton is only 60 miles further than C’bus from geographic center of Ohio, 2 hours round trip. Not exactly like driving from Cincy to Ashtabula. I get why anyone pushes for a particular city, you want C’bus because it is closer for you, I want Canton for same reason.
I'm not making anything up. It's really easy math: 1,300 (the difference in people attending games in Columbus rather than Canton) times 7 (amount of games in a weekend = 9,100 more fans in Columbus, on average, than Canton.

Now, you multiply 9,100 fans x $15 (ticket price for each state championship game) and that equals $136,500. I didn't think I'd actually have to show my work like I was in junior high math class, but here we are. Now, are these numbers exact? Of course not. There are lots of variables at play, but for simplicity's sake that's the result.

The money the OHSAA gets from online viewers is irrelevant. The OHSAA doesn't make back it's money from people buying a PPV stream of the game. The majority of that money goes to Spectrum. So, for every PPV stream purchased, the OHSAA loses out on roughly $12 of revenue from a potential ticket sale.

Spectrum, in the past, has paid the OHSAA $400,000 per year for the rights to exclusive Friday night coverage of games throughout the season, exclusive live playoff games, and the football, girls basketball and boys basketball state finals. You're going to say "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW THAT THERE'S NO WAY YOU CAN KNOW THAT". I know people. That's the number.

Now, to your point about Canton being only 60 miles farther than Columbus, while that may be true, you need to factor in time and circumstance into the equation. It's an hour farther than Columbus is, which doesn't seem like a lot. But when coupled with the fact that the first game is played at 10:00 AM, you now need to leave an hour earlier if you're in virtually any other part of the state than Northeast Ohio. The final game of the day starts at 8:00 PM. You're now, depending on where you live in the state, getting home one hour later than you would have if the games were in Columbus. Those things matter to ticket buyers, which means it matters to the OHSAA.

Just because you don't like the truth doesn't make it incorrect.

Edit: Maybe you thought the hotel comment was a load of crap. It's not. In fact, it's on the super low end.

When the games were in Columbus, the OHSAA did not pay for the teams to stay the night before or after their games because it was centrally located. Teams still could have stayed if they wanted to, but the OHSAA was not reimbursing them. The OHSAA was also not paying for hotels for officials of the games to stay in hotels because the games were centrally located. In Canton, the OHSAA pays for the official's hotel rooms. 5 officials per game at 7 games for the weekend is 35 officials at let's say a super conservative $150 a night. That's $5,250 a weekend for hotels for referees that they are paying in Canton that they aren't paying in Columbus. It all adds up.

Last edited:
I'm not making anything up. It's really easy math: 1,300 (the difference in people attending games in Columbus rather than Canton) times 7 (amount of games in a weekend = 9,100 more fans in Columbus, on average, than Canton.

Now, you multiply 9,100 fans x $15 (ticket price for each state championship game) and that equals $136,500. I didn't think I'd actually have to show my work like I was in junior high math class, but here we are. Now, are these numbers exact? Of course not. There are lots of variables at play, but for simplicity's sake that's the result.

The money the OHSAA gets from online viewers is irrelevant. The OHSAA doesn't make back it's money from people buying a PPV stream of the game. The majority of that money goes to Spectrum. So, for every PPV stream purchased, the OHSAA loses out on roughly $12 of revenue from a potential ticket sale.

Spectrum, in the past, has paid the OHSAA $400,000 per year for the rights to exclusive Friday night coverage of games throughout the season, exclusive live playoff games, and the football, girls basketball and boys basketball state finals. You're going to say "HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW THAT THERE'S NO WAY YOU CAN KNOW THAT". I know people. That's the number.

Now, to your point about Canton being only 60 miles farther than Columbus, while that may be true, you need to factor in time and circumstance into the equation. It's an hour farther than Columbus is, which doesn't seem like a lot. But when coupled with the fact that the first game is played at 10:00 AM, you now need to leave an hour earlier if you're in virtually any other part of the state than Northeast Ohio. The final game of the day starts at 8:00 PM. You're now, depending on where you live in the state, getting home one hour later than you would have if the games were in Columbus. Those things matter to ticket buyers, which means it matters to the OHSAA.

Just because you don't like the truth doesn't make it incorrect.

Edit: Maybe you thought the hotel comment was a load of crap. It's not. In fact, it's on the super low end.

When the games were in Columbus, the OHSAA did not pay for the teams to stay the night before or after their games because it was centrally located. Teams still could have stayed if they wanted to, but the OHSAA was not reimbursing them. The OHSAA was also not paying for hotels for officials of the games to stay in hotels because the games were centrally located. In Canton, the OHSAA pays for the official's hotel rooms. 5 officials per game at 7 games for the weekend is 35 officials at let's say a super conservative $150 a night. That's $5,250 a weekend for hotels for referees that they are paying in Canton that they aren't paying in Columbus. It all adds up.
You believe that the OHSAA isn't making money off of these boxcast streams? I'm going to need a citation for that one.

You believe that the OHSAA isn't making money off of these boxcast streams? I'm going to need a citation for that one.
Spectrum pays the OHSAA to have the rights to stream those games. You pay the $10 fee to watch the game. The overwhelming majority of the money from the $10 fee for pay-per-view goes to Spectrum.

So they are making money off the OHSAA.tv streams, but the big chunk of it comes upfront when Spectrum pays the OHSAA for the entire year.

Spectrum pays the OHSAA to have the rights to stream those games. You pay the $10 fee to watch the game. The overwhelming majority of the money from the $10 fee for pay-per-view goes to Spectrum.

So they are making money off the OHSAA.tv streams, but the big chunk of it comes upfront when Spectrum pays the OHSAA for the entire year.
This is how any broadcast rights deal works. Spectrum pays OHSAA upfront for the "right" and then charges for access (pay per view) and sells the commercial space in the games.

If OHSAA did not make BANK when they sold the rights to the broadcast that speaks more about their "ability" as an organization than any attendance figures ever would.

If OHSAA did not make BANK when they sold the rights to the broadcast that speaks more about their "ability" as an organization than any attendance figures ever would.
I would argue it has more to do with a lack of suitors than their ability as an organization. Not many other competitors are vying for those rights and there certainly aren't any others that are willing to pony up like Spectrum has. I know when the deal first went down many were angry that the championship games would no longer be on STO and so many people said "THE GAMES SHOULD JUST BE ON STO THE OHSAA IS STUPID!"...much like playoff hosting sites, the OHSAA can't put the games on a channel that doesn't want them.

I would argue it has more to do with a lack of suitors than their ability as an organization. Not many other competitors are vying for those rights and there certainly aren't any others that are willing to pony up like Spectrum has. I know when the deal first went down many were angry that the championship games would no longer be on STO and so many people said "THE GAMES SHOULD JUST BE ON STO THE OHSAA IS STUPID!"...much like playoff hosting sites, the OHSAA can't put the games on a channel that doesn't want them.
Absolutely agree, you can't sell what no one is buying. What I've wondered is what would happen if rather than having an "exclusive provider" they sold a smaller piece to all providers around the state. Smaller slice of the pie, but a bigger pie overall. Hard to imagine the MCTV (formerly Massillon Cable) wouldn't have pony'd up for the games. They seem to have some interest in hs football. ; )

1668624348065.png

Took in games last week at the Dome in Iowa and this week games at the Dome in Minnesota. Not one of the 100 or so people I have spoken to so far not one has cried about the size of the stadium. Same goes for Texas. I guess the lesson I am learning is crying over the size of the game site is an Ohio thing.

Um....so as he said....

If the Games come to the crew is it OK if I just go home for the night? All this talk about hotels motels and all I can think is get on I71 and drive south a little over 50 miles and home I am. Years ago for something around 14 years we went to all the State final games . When it was shared by Massillon and Canton was the best and we stayed at a B&B about 30 mins away in the heart of Amish country. Rooms were super nice they bent over backwards to help us. The only bad point while we men went to games our wives shopped and that brought the cost of the weekend up just a little, well more than a little. I miss those days.

OHSSA needs to buy old crew stadium, move their headquarters there, and host every football, soccer, lacrosse, rugby, and whatever else could be played there for state finals. Canton is a pain in the for football finals.

The OHSAA was also not paying for hotels for officials of the games to stay in hotels because the games were centrally located. In Canton, the OHSAA pays for the official's hotel rooms. 5 officials per game at 7 games for the weekend is 35 officials at let's say a super conservative $150 a night. That's $5,250 a weekend for hotels for referees that they are paying in Canton that they aren't paying in Columbus.
Simply not true……. (And a whopper of a tale that you were told)

The OHSAA doesn’t and hasn’t paid for hotel rooms for game officials.

For the past 15 or so years officials are paid
mileage for tournament games using this formula……

$1 per mile one way for anything in excess of 50 miles.

The prior formula was $.50 per mile total.

Last edited:
Historic Crew Stadium is part of the Crew's training site (OhioHealth Performance Center). Main home of Crew 2, and can be used for training during the winter months with an inflatable dome placed over the field.

I highly doubt the stadium would be available for sale to the OHSAA.

Columbus Crew still own the stadium itself. They have their Crew 2 team playing there (won the title as well). It still has value for events that can't or won't go to Lower.com Field. The Crew owners (mostly the Haslams) aren't dumb. They're not going to sell it.

And if it were ever actually sold, it's being sold to the Fairgrounds. They're the only group that has a vested interest in having an outdoor concert venue and all-purpose stadium that makes sense.

HS sports, on their own, can't sustain the costs of running a stadium. Of any size or quality. It's a secondary, add-on expense for schools, and a rental from the primary use for any college or pro venue.