"Colts' 1958 championship victory over Giants voted best game in NFL history"

longtime1sttime

"The Baltimore Colts’ 23-17 victory over the New York Giants for the 1958 NFL championship, the first overtime game in league history, was voted the best game as part of the NFL’s celebration of its 100th season. A nationwide panel of 66 media members chose the classic over the 1981 NFC title match featuring the Joe Montana pass to Dwight Clark known as “The Catch,” and the “Ice Bowl” in Green Bay for the 1967 league title."

lotr10

I wouldn't call it the greatest game but it my have been the most important one. It captivated a nation and launched the rise of Pro Football on a course to dominate American professional sports. This game showed the TV potential of the sport and that was key to it's growth.

bedevil

I wouldn't call it the greatest game but it my have been the most important one. It captivated a nation and launched the rise of Pro Football on a course to dominate American professional sports. This game showed the TV potential of the sport and that was key to it's growth.
This. Couldn't agree more.

I believe this game ranks as the most important game in the evolution of the sport. Baseball was still king in 1957, but this game proved how exciting televised football can be. The game marked the beginning of the slow downward spiral of baseball in the minds and hearts of the American sports fan while football has been on an upward trajectory ever since. I also believe the second most important game of all time was the Jets over Baltimore in Super Bowl III. It legitimized the AFL and forced the merger that created the NFL as we know it today.