College Football 2023-2024

Everything about Big Noon Kickoff stinks except for Joel Klatt, IMO.

The atmosphere generally isn’t great, half the inventory of games are usually awful, the pregame show isn’t worth watching, the studio/halftime crew is mediocre, and Gus Johnson should keep his on-air orgasms reserved for basketball.

FWIW, FOX’s best crew is Jason Benetti and Brock Huard, with apologies to Klatt for being saddled with Mr. Excitement.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
I would agree with just about everything here. I don’t mind Gus for football but his style is infinitely more suited for basketball.

1675448194913.png

Wow! Kathryn Tappen is a big woman!

I have a feeling Ohio State fans aren’t going to be happy about this. A relevant Big Ten night window definitely increases the chances of road night games for the Buckeyes, which inevitably increases the chances of losing said games.

Noah Eagle is a hot name in the broadcasting world. Definitely riding off of daddy's coattails but still respected enough at 25 to get a full time gig in the 2nd biggest media market with the Clippers. Many think he will eventually get a big time job with somebody looking for an announcer that does the job by getting out of the way and making it about the game and not himself.

What ESPN fails to mention is they were unwilling to pay off the Big 12 the full sum of advertising revenue they would be losing and while Texas could cover some of that bill Oklahoma doesn't have that type of coin thus no deal.

Noah Eagle is a hot name in the broadcasting world. Definitely riding off of daddy's coattails but still respected enough at 25 to get a full time gig in the 2nd biggest media market with the Clippers. Many think he will eventually get a big time job with somebody looking for an announcer that does the job by getting out of the way and making it about the game and not himself.
I think he and Nate Burleson did that late-season Saturday afternoon Colts-Vikings game where the Vikings made the biggest comeback ever. I remember being fairly impressed with his call of the game.

NBC sure is loading up on second-generation sports media hires. They’ve got Noah Eagle, Chris Simms and Jac Collinsworth. Eagle seems by far the best of those three.

The Athletic had an interesting column today on the Big 12 / Pac 12 dynamic and where those two conferences are heading. A lot of chatter that the targeted Pac 12 expansion candidates are San Diego St. & SMU. this doesn't move the needle much outside of bringing the Dallas metroplex market into the Pac 12 footprint but SMU plays at best 4th choice behind Texas, Texas A&M, & TCU in that market. Also they are getting nowhere close to the media fees proposals they were hoping for and they are concerned. For the Big 12 they may approach the Pac 12 mount time zone schools as possible new members while the B1G looks for a new commissioner, may also look at the more coveted Oregon & Washington tandem too if they get antsy waiting for a call from Chicago.

Looks like the figured out the Texas & Oklahoma separation from the Big 12:

The 2023 season really will be the end of an era.
It would be a dagger to the heart of the Big 12 if Oklahoma and Texas end up being the top two teams in the Big 12 this year. What away to end an era if that were to happen.

It would be a dagger to the heart of the Big 12 if Oklahoma and Texas end up being the top two teams in the Big 12 this year. What away to end an era if that were to happen.
Everyone is going to take their best shots at them on the way out. I expect to see a lot of fun Big 12 games involving the Horns and Sooners.

College football is finally getting serious about the excessive length of games. But honestly, this is a really easy issue to fix:

1. Clock should never stop just because you got a first down.

2. Go to the NFL’s replay/challenge system instead of the irritating booth review system currently being used.

Those two changes alone would help do the trick. Keeping the clock running after incompletions is a stupid idea.

College football is finally getting serious about the excessive length of games. But honestly, this is a really easy issue to fix:

1. Clock should never stop just because you got a first down.

2. Go to the NFL’s replay/challenge system instead of the irritating booth review system currently being used.

Those two changes alone would help do the trick. Keeping the clock running after incompletions is a stupid idea.

The idiotic replay rules and excessive commercials are the real drivers of the length of games, the 4 points mentioned above are contributors but not the main drivers when it comes to length of games. I posted earlier in the '22 season about a game where I saw a scoring play happen and the time from that play to the next play from scrimmage for the opponent took over 10 minutes. Here is how it went down> TD happens after long drive and even though it was easily apparent it was a TD they had to review because it was a close enough scoring play, TV TO during the review. Team goes for 2 and there is a penalty so they move back 5 and have to kick, because of this the kicker was not ready so they had to call a TO to figure everything out. Kick is good, TV TO. Kick off goes into the end zone, TV TO. Play from scrimmage finally resumes. None of those rules changes would give me that 10 minutes back in my life but the coaches want that type of replay because they have too much on the line and the TV guys need the commercial revenue to pay for the huge media rights deals.

TV timeouts are what is ruining the college game and extending game time. Regular season games now have TV timeouts like big bowl games used to. That and the ridiculous delays by refs in making calls, not just replay reviews. The number of plays in a game is not the issue. Decreasing the number of plays in a game and not decreasing TV advertising time will further lessen my interest in college football. The NCAA already changed the clock rules to shorten the game a decade or so ago. I am not interested in watching more adds and less football.

Although Georgia would have likely run out of time before taking the lead against Ohio State in the Peach Bowl :mad:

Watched the UM spring game on BTN and believe this Wolverine team might be the best in the Harbaugh era. Before you Bucknuts jump me, I'm not saying they will win a B10 or National Title, but they look big and physical (their spring game was live, no two hand tap) and McCarthy is solid.

Watched the UM spring game on BTN and believe this Wolverine team might be the best in the Harbaugh era. Before you Bucknuts jump me, I'm not saying they will win a B10 or National Title, but they look big and physical (their spring game was live, no two hand tap) and McCarthy is solid.
Hairball agrees with you. UM has a better O-line, the more experienced QB and probably the best 1-2 running duo in the nation. OSU is better at
WR and Tight End. Defense should be the key. Knowles will have to prove he is the real deal.

Jim Harbaugh claims this is the best team he has had to this point
According to the Wolverines’ head man himself, this is the best team that Jim Harbaugh has coached to this point. After winning back-to-back Big Ten titles, making the College Football Playoff twice, and more, there are some massive expectations for Jim Harbaugh’s Michigan football program this fall. According to much of the national media (and many players), this year is national title of bust for the boys in blue.

I mean load up on coaching talent if you can but seems odd given Riley is arguably the best QB coach in America the last 10 years.
It will give Riley more of an opportunity to deal with the rest of the team and, with this addition, could go far in recruiting the top qb prospects as they enter the Big 10. Also, some speculate that he will be the new head coach if Riley leaves for the NFL.

Hairball agrees with you. UM has a better O-line, the more experienced QB and probably the best 1-2 running duo in the nation. OSU is better at
WR and Tight End. Defense should be the key. Knowles will have to prove he is the real deal.

According to the Wolverines’ head man himself, this is the best team that Jim Harbaugh has coached to this point. After winning back-to-back Big Ten titles, making the College Football Playoff twice, and more, there are some massive expectations for Jim Harbaugh’s Michigan football program this fall. According to much of the national media (and many players), this year is national title of bust for the boys in blue.
i really think if the Buckeyes are healthy at RB.... Henderson, williams, Hayden ,Pryor, traynum(?) expecially Henderson... the bucks will challenge for the best backfield in the nation....

i really think if the Buckeyes are healthy at RB.... Henderson, williams, Hayden ,Pryor, traynum(?) expecially Henderson... the bucks will challenge for the best backfield in the nation....
I think it is the deepest in the nation. Michigan is probably the best duo at running back. The rushing attack is more of a priority at Michigan than OSU.

I think it is the deepest in the nation. Michigan is probably the best duo at running back. The rushing attack is more of a priority at Michigan than OSU.
if Henderson comes back to the form he had two years ago......last season you could really tell that he couldn't CUT like he did the year before.... I'll put him up against any running back in the nation...

Sark names Ewers starter already, about what I expected. I realize he’s an early enrollee and should still be in high school but man, nothing Manning did changed my opinion he’s an average to above average P5 kid elevated by his name. Although he ran better than I thought he could. I guess it makes sense though as he is Cooper’s son and not the son of the statues that are Eli and Peyton.

And yes I recognize the hypocrisy of not being worried about McCord after OSU’s spring game lol.

The SEC updated schedule discussions are nearing a head and it will be interesting to see who wins. Greg Sankey weighed in with a preference to a 9 game schedule but there is still a strong group of schools that want 8. My guess is they land on the 9 because that is what Sankey wants and he is arguably the most important person in the sport.

The SEC updated schedule discussions are nearing a head and it will be interesting to see who wins. Greg Sankey weighed in with a preference to a 9 game schedule but there is still a strong group of schools that want 8. My guess is they land on the 9 because that is what Sankey wants and he is arguably the most important person in the sport.
Here’s hoping they end up playing nine conference games.

No one wants to see Alabama vs North Texas, LSU vs La-Monroe, Ohio State vs Akron, Ohio State vs Kent State, Ohio State vs Toledo, Ohio State vs Ball State, etc.

SEC stays at 8 conference games for 2024:

Interesting that it might be a bargaining move to get more $s from ESPN. Good luck with that though as those guys are cuttings their budget and I doubt they pony up. So next summer there will be a big debate yet again and my guess is they stay at 8 as I doubt the committee will knock a SEC school down because they only played an 8 game SEC schedule.

SEC stays at 8 conference games for 2024:

Interesting that it might be a bargaining move to get more $s from ESPN. Good luck with that though as those guys are cuttings their budget and I doubt they pony up. So next summer there will be a big debate yet again and my guess is they stay at 8 as I doubt the committee will knock a SEC school down because they only played an 8 game SEC schedule.
The Big needs to wise up.

B1G scheduling model for the 2024 & 2025 seasons:

A lot of NCAA football writers are praising it and saying this is what the SEC should have done. Of course ESPN buries the story.