College Football 2022-2023

That’s because no one ever watches the PAC-12. I mean hell, their conference championship had 3.5m less viewers than the Big 12 and that was still the most ever watched Pac12 championship game ever.

Also lol at comparing it to two games involving two of the largest fan bases in College Football in ND and Texas.

I get this is a foreign concept to you, as a ND fan who watched his favorite P5-level team lose to 2 mid-majors in consecutive years, but no playoff caliber team wants to end the season on a loss to a G5 team. It’s embarrassing for their resume the following year. And if you think the previous year has zero bearing, you’re naive.
Friday night is historically the worst TV night for ratings. I’m not surprised that they get worse ratings than any of the Saturday P5 championship games whenever they play on Friday. They should push to get their game on Saturday, even if it’s at 3:30 or 4 pm ET head to head with the SEC title game.

Or try to shoehorn their way into Saturday night since the Big 10 and ACC title games are often underwhelming affairs.

Of course no one wants to end on a loss, but are they putting in the same month-long level of focused preparation and playing with the same emotion as they would if the team on the other sideline were Alabama or Ohio State or LSU or Clemson? I find it highly unlikely.

As for impacting the following year, I don’t think it’ll have much impact on USC’s ranking after they play their first meaningful opponent.

After Oklahoma lost to Boise State to end 2006, the Sooners started #8 in 2007, quickly rose to #3 in September after trouncing creampuffs and unranked Miami, and were in the top 10 all year despite upset losses at Colorado and Texas Tech. And they were back to #3 going into bowl season.

After Alabama slept through a Sugar Bowl loss to then-independent Utah to end 2008, the 2009 Alabama team turned around and won the national title.

And most recently, UGA was questioned on here and elsewhere after barely beating UC in the 2020 Peach Bowl, and they responded by dominantly winning the national title the next season.

The other teams who lost to the Group of Five champ, like Arizona, a declining FSU, and Auburn were never really in the national title mix the following year regardless.

So I don’t see how the Tulane result in any way hurts USC’s resume next year.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Adding USC and UCLA really doesn't do much from a talent perspective for the Big Ten. Need to add a team from the southeast to start being able to pull players from there

Friday night is historically the worst TV night for ratings. I’m not surprised that they get worse ratings than any of the Saturday P5 championship games whenever they play on Friday. They should push to get their game on Saturday, even if it’s at 3:30 or 4 pm ET head to head with the SEC title game.

Or try to shoehorn their way into Saturday night since the Big 10 and ACC title games are often underwhelming affairs.

Of course no one wants to end on a loss, but are they putting in the same month-long level of focused preparation and playing with the same emotion as they would if the team on the other sideline were Alabama or Ohio State or LSU or Clemson? I find it highly unlikely.

As for impacting the following year, I don’t think it’ll have much impact on USC’s ranking after they play their first meaningful opponent.

After Oklahoma lost to Boise State to end 2006, the Sooners started #8 in 2007, quickly rose to #3 in September after trouncing creampuffs and unranked Miami, and were in the top 10 all year despite upset losses at Colorado and Texas Tech. And they were back to #3 going into bowl season.

After Alabama slept through a Sugar Bowl loss to then-independent Utah to end 2008, the 2009 Alabama team turned around and won the national title.

And most recently, UGA was questioned on here and elsewhere after barely beating UC in the 2020 Peach Bowl, and they responded by dominantly winning the national title the next season.

The other teams who lost to the Group of Five champ, like Arizona, a declining FSU, and Auburn were never really in the national title mix the following year regardless.

So I don’t see how the Tulane result in any way hurts USC’s resume next year.

The Friday night PAC12 Championship still out viewed USC’s biggest regular season game against crosstown rival UCLA, I believe they topped out at 3.4m viewers. Using viewership for a program like USC who doesn’t have a real fan base is not having a good faith argument.

You find it highly unlikely because, I’m the rare event you ever played a competitive sport, it was many decades ago and you forget how hyper competitive these kids are. Are they going to be as hyped up for a Tulane in a non playoff game as they would have been against UGA in the playoffs? Of course not that doesn’t mean they no showed (except the defense but that was an every game issue and not exclusive to Tulane).

This of course ignores those who lost to help elevate Oklahoma who would have entered the year ranked higher than 8th had they not lost to a (at the time viewed) lowly Boise State.

Throw the Georgia-UC game example out the door, UGA won that game. It isn’t comparable in any way for that reason alone. In regards to Alabama-Utah, if you need to go back 14 years for an example, you’re looking at what is called an outlier.

If you can’t see how Tulane lighting up USC’s defense while USC makes 0 changes to their defense will affect how unbiased viewers look at them in 2023, you’re beyond help. A reasonable unbiased spectator could understand USC’s defense giving up points to an unusually good and deep Pac12 during conference play. Giving up 46 to a Tulane team that only scored 17 against Kansas State is a different story.

Are you AEW 's brother?
Actually most of America agrees with us that the SEC is king, between college titles, NFL draft picks and recruiting classes, I'm not sure what else you guys need to understand this. Ohio State is the only team in the midwest that competes with the SEC. Football in the south is just better.

Backing up my claim that the Cotton Bowl was a yawner of a matchup that no one cared about, the USC-Tulane game drew an anemic 4.2 million viewership number, on a day when most Americans were off work. In fact, it was out-watched by the LSU-Purdue Cheez-It Bowl in the same timeslot, which LSU won 63-7.

USC-Tulane was also watched by fewer people than the Gator Bowl (ND-South Carolina) and Alamo Bowl (Texas-Washington). That almost assuredly goes down as the least-watched NY6 bowl game ever. Just as you can’t fool fans by feigning importance of a game, the players are in the same boat. They’re human beings, too.

The Rose Bowl also had by far its lowest viewership since TV ratings tracked such things. The Penn State-Utah matchup drew 10.2 million viewers, down more than 6 million from last year’s Ohio State-Utah game and down 3.4 million from the previous low of 13.6 million, 2015 season’s Stanford-Iowa game.

This is further evidence that ESPN can do everything in its power to treat the Rose Bowl with the reverence that CBS treats Augusta National, but if you don’t have the championship or high stakes to go along with the venue, people really don’t care. Penn State-Utah was essentially an exhibition not altogether unlike the Wednesday Par 3 Contest the day before The Masters begins.

They can dress Penn State up all they want, but it's still Penn State. Most old school big ten people don't even acknowledge them in the conference and honestly, the whole Patero/ Jerry Sandusky scandal turned off most of America. If Penn State had got the death penalty, most of use wouldn't have given a rip. And Utah, sorry, just not going to be taken seriously in football.

They can dress Penn State up all they want, but it's still Penn State. Most old school big ten people don't even acknowledge them in the conference and honestly, the whole Patero/ Jerry Sandusky scandal turned off most of America. If Penn State had got the death penalty, most of use wouldn't have given a rip. And Utah, sorry, just not going to be taken seriously in football.
Also Penn State beating Utah just doesn't move the meter nationally. OSU needed to beat Georgia and the Big Ten needed to do better vs the SEC to gain more respect

Petrino hired as OC at Texas A&M.

FB_IMG_1672976536128.jpg

Adding USC and UCLA really doesn't do much from a talent perspective for the Big Ten. Need to add a team from the southeast to start being able to pull players from there
Unlike adding Rutgers and Maryland? It's for exposure in the area of the country and tv money in the largest markets.

USC and UCLA will be more than competitive in the Big Ten ( or Big Two and hangers-on) and offer much more fertile recruiting exposure to the others than Rutgers or Maryland.
I agree but not as much fertile recruiting as Georgia or Florida would offer. If I were the Big Ten I would try my hardest to get Georgia Tech and Miami.

I agree but not as much fertile recruiting as Georgia or Florida would offer. If I were the Big Ten I would try my hardest to get Georgia Tech and Miami.
Georgia Tech would be like adding another Minnesota. Georgia owns the state and always will. Miami will go to the SEC before the Big One( now that Michigan will most probably go on probation). The Big One lost out by not getting Texas and Oklahoma, a much better fit for those teams.

California is probably an easy third in total FBS prospects in any given year and fourth in blue chip top 250-300 type national recruits. The Big Ten fully penetrated that market with USC and UCLA between the brands and the heavy tilt of prospects towards southern California as compared to the rest of the state.

Georgia Tech does zilch for me and is an afterthought compared to UGA in their state. I would take the Hurricanes all day any day though. FSU as well if possible.

Dante Moore Detroit MLK QB, #3 2023 on flipping from Oregon (OC left for Az St) to UCLA

Smart
Doing a real nice job throwing to future Buckeye WRs in the All-American Bowl. Findlay's Montgomery holding his own. Couple gOod runs over his right tackle spot. Unfortunately one of those a fumble by the rb, downfield. Montgomery made the tackle.

edit: geezus is this kid good.

Last edited:
California is probably an easy third in total FBS prospects in any given year and fourth in blue chip top 250-300 type national recruits. The Big Ten fully penetrated that market with USC and UCLA between the brands and the heavy tilt of prospects towards southern California as compared to the rest of the state.

Georgia Tech does zilch for me and is an afterthought compared to UGA in their state. I would take the Hurricanes all day any day though. FSU as well if possible.
Idk, people are starting to move out of California more and more and yes Georgia is a dog state but having Georgia Tech in the Big Ten would create some more allure for their program and give kids in Georgia more of a reason to attend B10 schools

Idk, people are starting to move out of California more and more and yes Georgia is a dog state but having Georgia Tech in the Big Ten would create some more allure for their program and give kids in Georgia more of a reason to attend B10 schools
about 140,000 out of a population of 39 million in a year of lock-down. 🤷 Their heartland is growing in population. That's good football country.

Georgia Tech (my alma mater) wants to do it right but can't seem to get it right. The school is f-in hard. And almost entirely science, putting those difficulties far above anything ND likes to claim. Unless they are winning, they don't bring market. They're not an after-thought in Atlanta as mentioned but Atlanta is a business city. Even their tech is geared toward fintech. Ga has become the more attractive program, even before they started beating Gtech regularly. Being in B10, a lot of wishful thinking that would attract significantly higher caliber recruits to their program.

ACC is about right for them. B10 probably knew what they were doing with UCLA and USC.

about 140,000 out of a population of 39 million in a year of lock-down. 🤷 Their heartland is growing in population. That's good football country.

Georgia Tech (my alma mater) wants to do it right but can't seem to get it right. The school is f-in hard. And almost entirely science, putting those difficulties far above anything ND likes to claim. Unless they are winning, they don't bring market. They're not an after-thought in Atlanta as mentioned but Atlanta is a business city. Even their tech is geared toward fintech. Ga has become the more attractive program, even before they started beating Gtech regularly. Being in B10, a lot of wishful thinking that would attract significantly higher caliber recruits to their program.

ACC is about right for them. B10 probably knew what they were doing with UCLA and USC.
I shoulda known, you being a "Ramblin' Wreck" and all.

It’s easier to get players INTO GT, but way harder to keep them.

It’s easier to get players INTO GT, but way harder to keep them.
I'm sure that's based upon some extreme anecdote in the back of your memory but GTech doesn't seem to make mention in either winners or losers of the portal. They seem to be well entrenched into the norm. They lost a QB of note a couple years ago, thats about it. Or did you have something else in mind?

I wish it were easier to get them in. The basketball team had some real needs they weren't able to fill.

I'm sure that's based upon some extreme anecdote in the back of your memory but GTech doesn't seem to make mention in either winners or losers of the portal. They seem to be well entrenched into the norm. They lost a QB of note a couple years ago, thats about it. Or did you have something else in mind?

I wish it were easier to get them in. The basketball team had some real needs they weren't able to fill.
It’s a public university, so the Admission process isn’t as arduous. That said, not having a “soft” major (communications, sociology) for athletes makes it incredibly difficult to keep borderline kids eligible.

It’s a public university, so the Admission process isn’t as arduous. That said, not having a “soft” major (communications, sociology) for athletes makes it incredibly difficult to keep borderline kids eligible.
From an athletic POV, I wouldn't know relative difficulties of admission. From a regular academic POV, the process of applying is not much different. I suppose it depends upon which component you're refering to as "arduous."

GTechs APR in football and basketball is 10 points above the national average. I don't know how that translates to attrition in athletics. I'd imagine since APR is above average, attrition is below average. But honestly, when's the last time you ever heard a major sport athlete having to move on because of academics? They have the best support system on campus.

From an athletic POV, I wouldn't know relative difficulties of admission. From a regular academic POV, the process of applying is not much different. I suppose it depends upon which component you're refering to as "arduous."

GTechs APR in football and basketball is 10 points above the national average. I don't know how that translates to attrition in athletics. I'd imagine since APR is above average, attrition is below average. But honestly, when's the last time you ever heard a major sport athlete having to move on because of academics? They have the best support system on campus.
Your first sentence voids your argument. In this context of this discussion, it’s about Athlete admission.