College Club Baseball

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Any chance this is the direction that college will be heading soon. I've seen a few games of Club Baseball from a couple of local colleges and the talent level was equal to the local Division II and Division III colleges. In fact, several of the kids on the teams were kids that played DII and DIII their first couple of years and chose to move to the large local public University. With all the cuts, just wondering if this is the direction it may head in.

Any chance this is the direction that college will be heading soon. I've seen a few games of Club Baseball from a couple of local colleges and the talent level was equal to the local Division II and Division III colleges. In fact, several of the kids on the teams were kids that played DII and DIII their first couple of years and chose to move to the large local public University. With all the cuts, just wondering if this is the direction it may head in.
Most of those club teams are student ran and funded. As long as the students are back on campus, I can’t imagine any drastic changes l. If anything, club baseball could be a place of refuge for schools that cut the varsity teams.

Might it happen in smaller pockets of the country? Yes, but don't look for it to expand past those small pockets.

There is JUCO ball being played that is better than some D1 stuff out here. Our region's D2 and D3 ball would be no match for the JUCO ball being played in Florida, Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Son's friend played for BGSU Club team. They were basically funded by sponsors. The kids didn't pay anything to play......other than splitting gas costs on trips...as they drove their own cars or rented vans instead of using a bus. They had a week long Florida trip in the spring....which was nicer than my son ever had being on BG's baseball team lol

I think many colleges have club sports in most of the major sports other than contact football. I think at most schools, especially the bigger ones the intramural programs can be pretty good. I'd guess you could assemble some pretty good talent at Ohio State of former really good high school players who just didn't want to go d2 or d3.

I think many colleges have club sports in most of the major sports other than contact football. I think at most schools, especially the bigger ones the intramural programs can be pretty good. I'd guess you could assemble some pretty good talent at Ohio State of former really good high school players who just didn't want to go d2 or d3.

I watched a couple of the BGSU club games. One against Michigan State. MSU's team was really good. In the games I saw pitching seemed to be the weak spot. Defense and hitting were good. Probably makes sense because the pitchers probably don't do much other than show up on the weekend and throw....not a structured week like you'd have a on a regular team

I watched a couple of the BGSU club games. One against Michigan State. MSU's team was really good. In the games I saw pitching seemed to be the weak spot. Defense and hitting were good. Probably makes sense because the pitchers probably don't do much other than show up on the weekend and throw....not a structured week like you'd have a on a regular team
I can see that, the guys that get rusty and out of throwing shape would be the pitchers. I bet its tough to find catchers for stuff like that. Like linemen in flag football.

I played Club Baseball at Kent State from about 2002-2004 when club baseball was just starting and growing steam. We were in a league with Ferris State, Central Michigan, Miami University, and Bowling Green. The quality of baseball was excellent and we had great times. The winner of our league was to play the winner of another league, which ended up being Ohio State, in a super regional type of thing and the winner of that went to Florida to play in the Club Baseball World Series. I remember seeing Ohio State's club team play and as you can imagine they were basically a small college baseball team. I'm pretty sure one of their pitchers actually got drafted late one year.

Club baseball was a great time. Many road trips and memories.

Check out the National Club Baseball Association. They are very organized and have a National tournament at the end of the the season.
My son played for the OSU club team for three years. Not only was the competition very good, the caliber of athletes could've easily played DIII or DII. Ohio State has 2 teams and holds tryouts to even make the team. Several years ago they had over 100 players try out with only 3 or 4 spots open on each team.

I think you might be on to something here. With all the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic, there will be more cuts coming. Baseball up here doesn’t generate much revenue so I can see where smaller schools could drop the sport. Unfortunate but it could happen. I could even see small D1 schools dropping it. The MAC is already hurting with the loss of dropping non conference football games and the money that comes with it.

Check out the National Club Baseball Association. They are very organized and have a National tournament at the end of the the season.
My son played for the OSU club team for three years. Not only was the competition very good, the caliber of athletes could've easily played DIII or DII. Ohio State has 2 teams and holds tryouts to even make the team. Several years ago they had over 100 players try out with only 3 or 4 spots open on each team.

Ohio State's Club team was loaded when I played. Comparable to a low level D3 team back then Most pitchers throwing in the 80's with some stud players in the field.