Colerain

Kerry Coombs career path went: Colerain --> UC --> OSU --> Tennessee Titans --> OSU --> UC

Is there a chance he'll return to 8801 Cheviot Rd if he's not retained by the new UC head coach?

Let's hope so, be a nice retirement gig (compared to the stress of College and NFL)

edit.... although those HS parents can cause a LOT of stress!

Last edited:
I'm sure the Colerain faithful want a big name/established coach hire, but honestly, the job doesn't offer much. It's a crumbling building, lack-luster facilities, a community that struggles passing a levy, a school board that makes horrible bad decisions for the district and a football program that will struggle to compete with the upper tier of the GMC. Northwest Local is also quite a low paying district in Hamilton County and towards the bottom of the GMC with regards to pay. You also have a large population of the community that will think the glory days are just around the corner again and therefore have completely unrealistic expectations moving forward.

Now, I'm not saying Cut did a great job by any means, but I'm just saying that this search will be quite a bit more difficult than people think.

I'm sure the Colerain faithful want a big name/established coach hire, but honestly, the job doesn't offer much. It's a crumbling building, lack-luster facilities, a community that struggles passing a levy, a school board that makes horrible bad decisions for the district and a football program that will struggle to compete with the upper tier of the GMC. Northwest Local is also quite a low paying district in Hamilton County and towards the bottom of the GMC with regards to pay. You also have a large population of the community that will think the glory days are just around the corner again and therefore have completely unrealistic expectations moving forward.

Now, I'm not saying Cut did a great job by any means, but I'm just saying that this search will be quite a bit more difficult than people think.
I don’t think the search will be difficult. Just lowered expectations. Probably another assistant or head coach from a much smaller school wanting to move up in division.

I don’t think the search will be difficult. Just lowered expectations. Probably another assistant or head coach from a much smaller school wanting to move up in division.
I truly hope that's the case; however, I fear the expectations are still sky high. I hope you are right yj, for the sake of Colerain and the community.

All very fair and unfortunately true points.

The Colerain football program Under Coombs and Bolden was arguably the only thing the district as a whole had going forward as far as something that was noteworthy and powerful on a regional to state level. Now that’s gone and you have an aging district with not too many feathers in their cap. I graduated from CHS over 20 years ago and most everyone I stayed in touch from my class/surrounding classes does not still live in the district.

They may not return to the prominence they once enjoyed, but I also feel like they were underachieving for the past several years under the leadership they had and have more potential.

Leadership for that entire school district needs to have a giant house cleaning and start over again but it just won’t happen.

New to Yappi, but not the area. I know Colerain has had issues last couple of years, but its very surprising to see this thread not have more comments/interest.

The problem with this job is a School Board that wanted everything fair with Northwest. It held the program back and eventually led to Bolden leaving.

Cutwright did a decent job but I'm not sure he surrounded himself with the right people in key positions.

While the glory years may be over for now, I still feel like Colerain underachieved the last few years. The defense never left, but man was the offense tough to watch.

Tyler Williams?
Done a great job at Taft will do decent at Colerain with the talent they have. If the district decides to unify to a central HS they can improve all sports as well as academic outcomes and opportunities. This can be done without building new buildings until a levy has the support to be passed.

The problem with this job is a School Board that wanted everything fair with Northwest. It held the program back and eventually led to Bolden leaving.

Cutwright did a decent job but I'm not sure he surrounded himself with the right people in key positions.

While the glory years may be over for now, I still feel like Colerain underachieved the last few years. The defense never left, but man was the offense tough to watch.
The offense had zero identity at all.

Kerry Coombs career path went: Colerain --> UC --> OSU --> Tennessee Titans --> OSU --> UC

Is there a chance he'll return to 8801 Cheviot Rd if he's not retained by the new UC head coach?
I don’t think there is any chance Coombs returns to Colerain. I think he will stay at UC, go to Wisconsin or possibly a Small College locally. He has spent so many years now away from dealing with HS Parents I can’t imagine he would want to deal with them again especially when he headed towards retirement. Is Brayden Coombs Coaching anywhere at any level?

I don’t think there is any chance Coombs returns to Colerain. I think he will stay at UC, go to Wisconsin or possibly a Small College locally. He has spent so many years now away from dealing with HS Parents I can’t imagine he would want to deal with them again especially when he headed towards retirement. Is Brayden Coombs Coaching anywhere at any level?
Neither Combs will be stepping down to go back to Colerain. Kerry and his son have many post secondary or pro opportunities outside of Cincinnati "If they want them"...

Would the “down fall” of the Colerain program coincide with school vouchers? A few guys I work with feel strongly it does.

Would the “down fall” of the Colerain program coincide with school vouchers? A few guys I work with feel strongly it does.
Think Open Enrollment has destroyed the Colerain Youth Football program. Not much to work with anymore at Colerain

The migration north. People wanting to get into suburbia move to cheap housing along Colerain Ave...next start the movement East...just like Bolden. Just follow 275.... Fairfield, West Chester, Liberty etc.

It was just a matter of time until Colerain Twp lost the generational players and students

Something else that Colerain has always had to deal with...cheap taxes, great place to build or buy and send your kid to private school.

Last edited:
I know. Where Brayden currently Coaching at?
He was let go from the Lions for making an executive decision, (Fake punt). With 10+ years NFL experience he can go to any college he wants to be an assistant. Kerry will most likely move on after this year as it will be his experience that attracts Big 12 talent not the new coach...https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/25/report-jaguars-interviewing-brayden-coombs-for-special-teams-coach/

Last edited:
Think Open Enrollment has destroyed the Colerain Youth Football program. Not much to work with anymore at Colerain
Lots of private school signs around Colerain, Harrison and East Central. Colerain and Harrison has seen a lot of talent leave and it shows...