Colerain at La Salle.

Here is quote from Greg Shoemaker about La Salle, " this is a veteran Lancers team that has gone 21-5 including a 9-1 mark in the playoffs over the past two seasons. They know what it takes and how to win. “The offseason is going well. The leadership and work ethic has been great,” head coach Pat McLaughlin states."
Coaches kid not starting at QB as a Freshman? JV QB from last years LaSalle JV GCL Championship Team not ready to lead the Varsity?

Here is quote from Greg Shoemaker about La Salle, " this is a veteran Lancers team that has gone 21-5 including a 9-1 mark in the playoffs over the past two seasons. They know what it takes and how to win. “The offseason is going well. The leadership and work ethic has been great,” head coach Pat McLaughlin states."
I mean maybe they can be real good, I just don’t know. I mean they did that damage cause they had Zach Branam. This year they don’t, and the schedule is the toughest it’s ever been. 3-4 wins I’m thinking.

I think he’s forgetting he had Zach Branam

Very simple, incredible talent and the reports that I got from the scrimmages. Also, unlike some of the public school freshman and JV teams, GCL South Freshman and JV teams tend to preview future varsity performance. Lasalle is going to be strong this year and for years to come. It really surprises me with some of the financial issues that the school has had to wrestle.

Last edited:
I mean maybe they can be real good, I just don’t know. I mean they did that damage cause they had Zach Branam. This year they don’t, and the schedule is the toughest it’s ever been. 3-4 wins I’m thinking.
You don’t think that with the talent LaSalle has in their entire program they don’t have a talented QB ready to take the reigns?

Here is new news about a third QB who lined up behind center in the scrimmages from CJSS: There is a freshman QB I’ve noticed at both scrimmages, O’Connor. He is going to be a good one. His arm looks varsity ready now and he runs really well. Looks like he’s about 6’2” 190, that’s comparing him to other players. Might be bigger but definitely not smaller.

Some are saying that Colerain will be like the teams of pre-Kerry Combs some 20 years ago. In the two years before Combs arrived in 1991, Colerain teams were 2-8 both years. I sure hope things are not that bad on Cheviot Road.

Last edited:
I’m sure it was addressed already, but why did Bolden leave Colerain? I assume money, but I could be wrong. He was a successful Colerain coach and played there.

When Combs left Colerain, he did it to go to the college ranks, so his move was a step up. Bolden's move was a lateral move from one high school to another which makes it more puzzling.

When Combs left Colerain, he did it to go to the college ranks, so his move was a step up. Bolden's move was a lateral move from one high school to another which makes it more puzzling.

Not really puzzling. More money, more freedom, less administrative interference and a growing rather than declining district. Bolden was never easy to work with and the NWLSD administration is pretty awful. LW has gone out of its way to give him more money and stay out of his way.

Colerain is not the great mix of demographics it was in the early 00s and 10s. The neighborhood is in decline. The parents that can afford it send their kids to X and LaSalle and much of the middle class of the area has fled to Harrison and Ross. The school is getting smaller and smaller and honestly should be probably merge with Northwest, as both buildings are at the end of their lifespans. But geography and politics will keep this from happening soon.

In 2019, former Colerain assistant coach Rick Haynes was paid almost $104,000 in total compensation for his assistant principal and coaching assignments at Lakota East. In 2019, Tom Bolden made about $82,500 for his teaching, advisor and coaching assignments at Colerain. I think it's safe to assume Bolden is now making around the same amount at Lakota West as his counterpart does at the district's other high school.

Enquirer has this preview and picks for the Colerain at La Salle matchup:

What to watch: La Salle will replace plenty of production that helped it win back-to-back regional titles (the Lancers have won five in the last seven seasons). Quarterback Zach Branam is gone, as are four Division I corners from last year's "No Fly Zone." Coming back is running back Gi'Bran Payne. The Indiana commit is hoping for good health after being limited to just 43 attempts last season. On the offensive line, Paul Haywood is All-Ohio and starters Austin Rack and Ryan Reynolds return. Senior linebacker JJ Ruffin had 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks in 2020. Colerain may have had its GMC streak snapped, but the Cardinals did go 6-3 and won two playoff games. Running back MJ Flowers had 865 yards and 14 touchdowns. Linebacker Lavert Jarmon returns after posting six sacks in 2020 and UC commit Kenny Willis leads the secondary.

Picks: La Salle (Springer, Dermer, Weber, Harrison)

Exactly they don’t have one.
Oh ok??‍♂️. LaSalle I guess will be the first team ever to compete for a regional championship without using a QB. I promise you that if LaSalle plays without a QB this yr the Coach will be Fired before seasons end!

Enquirer has this preview and picks for the Colerain at La Salle matchup:

What to watch: La Salle will replace plenty of production that helped it win back-to-back regional titles (the Lancers have won five in the last seven seasons). Quarterback Zach Branam is gone, as are four Division I corners from last year's "No Fly Zone." Coming back is running back Gi'Bran Payne. The Indiana commit is hoping for good health after being limited to just 43 attempts last season. On the offensive line, Paul Haywood is All-Ohio and starters Austin Rack and Ryan Reynolds return. Senior linebacker JJ Ruffin had 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks in 2020. Colerain may have had its GMC streak snapped, but the Cardinals did go 6-3 and won two playoff games. Running back MJ Flowers had 865 yards and 14 touchdowns. Linebacker Lavert Jarmon returns after posting six sacks in 2020 and UC commit Kenny Willis leads the secondary.

Picks: La Salle (Springer, Dermer, Weber, Harrison)
UC commit Ken Willis is out for the game.

I’m curious about how you’ve come to this conclusion. I get the sense you’re either over-emphasizing the graduation of Branam or you have something against the Mattingly kid.
I don’t have anything against anyone on Lasalle I think it’s a well respected program. I’m just being real with my opinion. That team doesn’t have a QB to carry them through that brutal schedule. Going to be hard to watch for the Lancers this year till they groom someone.

I also said most of the GMC... Princeton may have a lot returning but haven't been a real threat in a while. This may be the year they are...
You said most of the GMC minus Lakota West. No, Princeton is not down and were a threat last year. A fumble on the 5 yard line (for the go ahead touchdown) with a few minutes left in the 4th qtr. sealed their doom against Elder. Should have won that game. Water under the bridge. It's a new year.

This is a repeat of 2019, We didn't know who would start at QB. Zach Branum was coming off a successful JV season as QB. Question remained about his ability to make the jump to the varsity. Ultimately, we decided to go with Zach and he led us to an outright GCLS championship and our fourth state title. We can't say for sure who starts Friday night but no one can say for sure since none of the candidates have varsity experience. Talk to me after the Winton Woods game if we have our QB not now because no one knows just like 2019.

This starts year 3 of the Cutright era at Colerain and sounds like it could be his roughest outing yet.

Program seems to be trending downward under his watch, with a lot of the successful culture eroding away-at least from a distance glance. Yes the talent pool is more shallow these days, but they have also had some good players who would be starting in this game leave for other schools. Not an encouraging sign.

Not sure what to expect out of the Cards on Friday but I think this game will go the way of 2014's matchup if not even more one-sided.

For whatever reason, the current coaching staff doesn't have the ability to commit to a QB and the offensive line play is subpar at best.

A few tidbits gathered on here from the scrimmages aren't encouraging. Hope to see something more positive Friday night.