Coldwater has finalized non league varsity football schedule through 2023

radiodaveagain

Coldwater has finalized non league varsity football schedule through 2023.

at Kenton
vs Mount Healthy

vs Kenton
at Cincinnati Oak Hills

at Kenton
at Bellefontaine

vs Kenton
vs Bellefontaine

I think there are more harbins available for the taking if Coldwater beats a 7 win D3 Alter team than a 1-3 win D1 Oak Hills team, but i’m not an expert in harbins.

Most definitely. A 6-4 Alter (2019) had a 17.29 Harbin average. A 3-7 Oak Hills (2018) had a 10.64. Oak Hills went 0-10 in 2019. It seems people get really caught up on level 1 points. Level 2 is where your bread is buttered.

Its not easy for a good team to schedule games...Coldwater has done a pretty good job.
It's not like we can pick and choose who to play. Especially in a 1 year contract. The other school also has to accept the offer. Luckily for us, we have an AD who's been on the job for 25+ years.

Now am I excited to travel down to deep western suburban Cincy? Not really. However, Its not like we had the pick of the litter. The only school that I could think of off hand that is open week 2 in 2021 is Beverly Fort Frye by Marietta. That travel would be a nightmare so hence why were playing Oak Hills. Unless someone can show me a better game for us, I think Goodwin put us in the best situation that could be found for 2021.

Last edited:
Coldwater is certainly in a tough spot. They're too good and too small for their own good when it comes to scheduling.

We (Bellefontaine) may have been the perfect fit. First, we've always scheduled tough teams in our OOC games. Coldwater replaces Bishop Watterson, who replaces Wapakoneta. We have only won that game once in the past 10 years, so even in the worst case scenario of 0-2, not alot changes for the Chiefs. The other factor, is we think those two years can be really strong teams for us and we aim to make those two big wins......The prestige of Coldwater was also a factor. We like playing in big games. The two year deal with Troy resulted in two epic games between programs with over 100 years of football history. I'm hoping Watterson and Coldwater can be the same.

As you well know, The Chieftain Nation is banking on this year's 8th grade class to bring the program to the next level. No surprise Bell came a knockin' knowing that will be their best two seasons........

how often does success in 8th grade translate to equal or greater success in high school? I don’t mean to be a Debbie downer, that 8th grade class is special.....for an 8th grade class.

I support Bellefontaine athletics and hope it does translate, but I’ll wait to crown them for a few more years. ?

Coldwater is certainly in a tough spot. They're too good and too small for their own good when it comes to scheduling.

We (Bellefontaine) may have been the perfect fit. First, we've always scheduled tough teams in our OOC games. Coldwater replaces Bishop Watterson, who replaces Wapakoneta. We have only won that game once in the past 10 years, so even in the worst case scenario of 0-2, not alot changes for the Chiefs. The other factor, is we think those two years can be really strong teams for us and we aim to make those two big wins......The prestige of Coldwater was also a factor. We like playing in big games. The two year deal with Troy resulted in two epic games between programs with over 100 years of football history. I'm hoping Watterson and Coldwater can be the same.
With how good the Chieftain 8th grade class is I think that is pretty much a given.

And ftr, I love the Bellefontaine/Coldwater matchup coming. I’m working on my son’s transfer papers now.

With how good the Chieftain 8th grade class is I think that is pretty much a given.

The given is that our coaches, parents and players are dedicated to putting the work in to be successful on and off the football field. We have some great kids working hard to make it something special. The wins and losses will take care of themselves, but we couldn't be more excited for the future. Our new (and old) Head Coach is the right man at the right time for our program.

how often does success in 8th grade translate to equal or greater success in high school? I don’t mean to be a Debbie downer, that 8th grade class is special.....for an 8th grade class.

I support Bellefontaine athletics and hope it does translate, but I’ll wait to crown them for a few more years. ?
sometimes but not always. it’s more so coaching and parents support. the Greenon class of 2021 went i think 7-1 in 8th grade? the core group of boys all stuck together and the parents have stayed involved. plus they hired a coach that knows them pretty well, having been there teacher at a younger age. and of course, Rice helps! talent is talent no doubt, but there is more to it.

Can we have some MAC posters chime in? I wonder who won the 8th grade MAC championship in 2015 and who won the HS championship in 2019?

I know when Minster won the D6 title in 2014, their senior class won a total of one game in 7th grade, 8th grade and freshman years.

Part of that is because you do not need a full 11 good football players in a class to win varsity football, whereas you do in junior high and freshman football. Part of that is some places values establishing a winning tradition at the lower levels, while other focus more on player development and playing more kids to keep them interested in the program.

Can we have some MAC posters chime in? I wonder who won the 8th grade MAC championship in 2015 and who won the HS championship in 2019?
Likely Anna. That RB could have scored 10 TDs a game when he was in JH.

With that said, I dont know if the MAC really does JH championships with trophies, banners and signs. There may be like an unofficial one but I havent really seen the accolades pour down in MAC schools for JH championships like I have seen other places to be quite honest with you.

The point I was trying to make is it doesn't matter what you 8th grade record is. And it doesn't translate to HS success.

Likely Anna. That RB could have scored 10 TDs a game when he was in JH.

With that said, I dont know if the MAC really does JH championships with trophies, banners and signs. There may be like an unofficial one but I havent really seen the accolades pour down in MAC schools for JH championships like I have seen other places to be quite honest with you.

I know the WBL doesn’t do that. Wapak’s last two senior classes went a combined 28-2 in 7th and 8th grade yet didn’t receive any type of award. No other team came close to that except Kenton’s class of 2021 that didn’t lose a single game in middle school. I’m sure most schools don’t put that much importance in middle school football.

I know the WBL doesn’t do that. Wapak’s last two senior classes went a combined 28-2 in 7th and 8th grade yet didn’t receive any type of award. No other team came close to that except Kenton’s class of 2021 that didn’t lose a single game in middle school. I’m sure most schools don’t put that much importance in middle school football.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised moving into a diff conference and seeing League championship banners hanging in the JH gym along with trophy cases and such for all the JH accolades. I just never remembered seeing that at the MAC schools. I know often the team that would be considered the champion will tout in on myspace and such but don't recall trophies/banners and such.

Some conferences take JH very importantly and exhaust their TO's at the end of games even when they are up, or down, 30+ and have seen some petty things at the end of games (like lining up to go for it with 30 seconds to go on 4th and long up by 4TD's only to "force" the other team to use a TO and then line up to punt after the TO, or even putting a starting defense back in up by over 50 with less than a min to go on 4th down when the opposing team got to the 42 yard line....but I digress).

Hell, I have even seen a team down by 4 TD's use all of their TO's under a min to go in the game when the other team was in victory formation!

Yeah, I was a bit surprised moving into a diff conference and seeing League championship banners hanging in the JH gym along with trophy cases and such for all the JH accolades. I just never remembered seeing that at the MAC schools. I know often the team that would be considered the champion will tout in on myspace and such but don't recall trophies/banners and such.

Some conferences take JH very importantly and exhaust their TO's at the end of games even when they are up, or down, 30+ and have seen some petty things at the end of games (like lining up to go for it with 30 seconds to go on 4th and long up by 4TD's only to "force" the other team to use a TO and then line up to punt after the TO, or even putting a starting defense back in up by over 50 with less than a min to go on 4th down when the opposing team got to the 42 yard line....but I digress).

Hell, I have even seen a team down by 4 TD's use all of their TO's under a min to go in the game when the other team was in victory formation!
I will say this voice. We lost 1 game in JH. In 8th grade when we went undefeated, the parents got us sweatshirts and t shirts commemorating it. Definitely over the top but I found it hilarious.

I will say this voice. We lost 1 game in JH. In 8th grade when we went undefeated, the parents got us sweatshirts and t shirts commemorating it. Definitely over the top but I found it hilarious.
Oh i wouldnt doubt it! Just stating that I dont see trophy cases/banners being hung for JH titles around here, but I could be wrong!

Last edited:
Oh i wouldnt doubt it! Just stating that I dont see trophy cases/banners being hung for JH titles around here, but I could be wrong!

With that said.....our from our last two 7th grade games (only played 4 back then) through our frosh year we I think were undefeated and only tied once and our HS teams went a cool 10-30 when we were in HS including 6 wins as Jr/Sr!

It was the dark, dark days of the program!
I recently seen a retweeted Twitter post from Minster's principal (Kaylor I believe?) that was congratulating their Jr High team for beating Marion Local's in the conference tournament. I am assuming basketball.

As for football, I know Crestview/NWC doesn't do anything with Jr. High conference winners. We typically play a mix of conference and non conference opponents (i.e. Celina, Van Wert, Parkway, etc). I don't recall the WBL having a conference champion in football in Jr High either. I could be wrong.