Cold and Hot Cereal

Belly35

What's your favourite cold cereal?

I like Grape Nuts, Sugar Pops and Honey Bunch

What's your favourite hot cereal?

I like Farina w/ cinnamon, sugar and milk

Farina=
was a Little Rascal in the "OUR GANG" move shorts... (filmed in black & white)
played by Allen Clayton Hoskins
Farinacolor.jpg

During WW-II Hoskins joined the ARMY...
He was found by a reported who wrote...
"Remember Farina, the kinky haired little "girl" in "Our Gang" comedies of the silent movie days? Farina is in the Army now. Farina is Pvt Allen Hoskins, Company D, 47th Quartermaster Regiment, stationed at the Presidio in Monterey. When Claudette Colbert, visiting the Presidio leaned from her automobile and called "Say, don't I know you?" Hoskins told the actress only his rank and detachment. "Why didn't you tell her you were Farina?" asked a fellow soldier. "Well, (he replied), "Farina was the name of that other guy she was thinking of - a little guy in a white dress whose contract called for more money in a week than I now make in a year. Farina's grown up. I'd rather she remembered me as I used to be before the world lost its sense of humor."
Hoskins went on to serve in the South Pacific and advanced to the rank Sargent.

:>---

SALT

Last edited:
Steel cut oats, milled flax seed, hemp hearts, cinnamon, ginger, and half a smashed banana. Add frozen blueberries right away if steeped overnight in unsweetened almond milk to eat cold. If made hot on the stovetop, blueberries at the end. Two fried eggs, or hard-boiled at times. Breakfast of Champions.

Hot cereal: Steel cut oats with dried cranberries and walnuts or shaved almonds.

Cold cereal: Wheat chex.

Guilty pleasure and still the best late night sweet munchie crave>

51TCxT0oVyL.jpg

Do they still make Total? That was my fav. Breakfast now is 1 hard boiled egg and avocado spread on Jewish seeded rye. Hot cereal of my childhood was Cream of Wheat.

I was a cold cereal fiend as a child. Earliest memories of cereal involved Kellog Corn Flakes. Then I learned about sweetened cereal, and it was all over. Our family dentist made out like a bandit on me.

Post Rice Krinkles was an early favorite. I still remember the day a sample box of Cap'n Crunch came in the mail, and I asked my parents to start buying it for me.

Some cereals I never took to, like Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs. And the large bricks of shredded wheat that my father loved were too hard for me to saw through.

All-time favorite for flavor - Fortified Oat Flakes by Post. Nothing else like it. Not sure why it was discontinued. I found an off-brand of oat flakes at Trader Joe's a few years ago. Not bad, but it wasn't as good.

And let's be honest. How cool was it to be on vacation and tear into the little travel boxes of cereal, and actually pour the milk inside the wax paper lining, and eat out of the box?

I was a cold cereal fiend as a child. Earliest memories of cereal involved Kellog Corn Flakes. Then I learned about sweetened cereal, and it was all over. Our family dentist made out like a bandit on me.

Post Rice Krinkles was an early favorite. I still remember the day a sample box of Cap'n Crunch came in the mail, and I asked my parents to start buying it for me.

Some cereals I never took to, like Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs. And the large bricks of shredded wheat that my father loved were too hard for me to saw through.

All-time favorite for flavor - Fortified Oat Flakes by Post. Nothing else like it. Not sure why it was discontinued. I found an off-brand of oat flakes at Trader Joe's a few years ago. Not bad, but it wasn't as good.

And let's be honest. How cool was it to be on vacation and tear into the little travel boxes of cereal, and actually pour the milk inside the wax paper lining, and eat out of the box?

Not cool at all. All I remember is our entire family of 5 crammed into a motel room, and we children would be awoken way too early by the rustling sound of bags and whatever else my mom was opening at the crack of dawn. We'd pour our travel boxes of cereal into styrofoam bowls with only a tiny splash of milk available to each of us because a quantity of milk larger than 16 oz. wouldn't fit in the cooler. Good grief, most of our family vacations were exercises in survival as opposed to opportunities for relaxation and enjoyment!

Incidentally, if it was the Kellogg's variety pack, Corn Pops would be my 1st pick. I don't even remember if General Mills or Post sold cereal in variety packs back then. Post didn't have enough good cereals to begin with, IMHO.

Not cool at all. All I remember is our entire family of 5 crammed into a motel room, and we children would be awoken way too early by the rustling sound of bags and whatever else my mom was opening at the crack of dawn. We'd pour our travel boxes of cereal into styrofoam bowls with only a tiny splash of milk available to each of us because a quantity of milk larger than 16 oz. wouldn't fit in the cooler. Good grief, most of our family vacations were exercises in survival as opposed to opportunities for relaxation and enjoyment!

Incidentally, if it was the Kellogg's variety pack, Corn Pops would be my 1st pick. I don't even remember if General Mills or Post sold cereal in variety packs back then. Post didn't have enough good cereals to begin with, IMHO.

Ouch. My parents would buy a variety pack when we visited my relatives, so I'd eat from that at the kitchen table. But yeah, you always tried to get one of the "good" cereals before someone else did, otherwise you were stuck with corn flakes.

With you on this though they seem to have been a real favorite with some. Maybe it was the magic of the leprechaun and the wacky cuckoo bird.

Growing up - Sugar Smacks (with extra sugar added - omg) and oatmeal with brown sugar (a must).
Today - Raisin Bran w/Granola and oatmeal with brown sugar. ;) Backup: white grits w/red-eye gravy. :whistle:

Last edited:
Oats w/brown sugar. Honestly I like Capn Crunch but try not to do that too often..I'll go with Life.