Coca-Cola is discontinuing Tab after nearly 60 years

WHAT!!

Lived in NY (upstate) and would have to teach people how to drink it. Don't inhale while taking a drink. Vernors Float, haven't had one in decades. Need to correct.
Now, I havent tried it in probably 40 years so maybe now......

WHAT!!

Lived in NY (upstate) and would have to teach people how to drink it. Don't inhale while taking a drink. Vernors Float, haven't had one in decades. Need to correct.
I never had a Vernors Float, but we drank "Farmer's Floats" as kids. Pepsi with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. I have no idea why we called them Farmer's Floats. Good stuff though.

I never had a Vernors Float, but we drank "Farmer's Floats" as kids. Pepsi with a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream. I have no idea why we called them Farmer's Floats. Good stuff though.
I think we called those a brown cow. We called something a brown cow. Vernors float was a boston cooler. I don't know why either.

We just called em Pepsi Floats......
Yeah, they are excellent.

Have to try Vernors to see what I've missed all these years. Seagrams over Canada Dry for me.

Also, need to do a root beer comparison based on previous post. Just a test, of course.

Don't get me started back on soft drinks, guys! :)

Have to try Vernors to see what I've missed all these years. Seagrams over Canada Dry for me.

Also, need to do a root beer comparison based on previous post. Just a test, of course.

Don't get me started back on soft drinks, guys! :)
Frostop Root Beer.
Local place sells it for $.99/24oz and man that stuff is fantastic.

Matter of fact, going to get one at lunch today.

One of my favorite haunts years ago ~ Woody's
an old drive up root-beer stand 23rd and Fulton Rd.NW
stones throw from the Hall of Fame
~ car hop ~ window tray ~ ice cold root beer mug ~ Coney dog

s_4594f820-b634-42fa-802e-76c44b9397a5.jpg

woody-s.jpg

:>---

Leatherneck

Last edited:
Our local here in Toledo was Mohr's Brothers. Way ahead of their time. Foo-foo flavors back in the 60s. For the basics, I stuck to the big guys. Coke, Vernors, Fanta (red or white cream soda only), Dad's or Orange Crush. Everything off the main list was Mohr's.

I think we called those a brown cow. We called something a brown cow. Vernors float was a boston cooler. I don't know why either.
The regional names are interesting. When I worked at Arby’s in Columbus, when customers would ask for a brown cow, they meant a root beer shake. We didn’t have it labeled, that’s just what folks called it. We always had extra flavors besides choc/van/strawb back then: orange, root beer , banana, eggnog, and the infamous jamocha.

Nobody really knows why they are called a Boston cooler, but the ice cream stand just down the road makes them.

Frostop Root Beer.
Local place sells it for $.99/24oz and man that stuff is fantastic.

Matter of fact, going to get one at lunch today.
I'll have to look for it in the Teeter (Kroger). Saw eBay had it $60 for 15. Ouch!.

Did not realize root beers came in so many styles. I think this is what I want for Christmas.

(Page down).

Frostop is among the list.

I'll have to look for it in the Teeter (Kroger). Saw eBay had it $60 for 15. Ouch!.

Did not realize root beers came in so many styles. I think this is what I want for Christmas.

(Page down).

Frostop is among the list.
Yeah, local grocery as frostop, 24 OZ, for a buck¡ Great deal and great. They also do an orange and a caramel vanilla which are good but the root beer is legit

Ale 8, where's that from?
The sampler looks good. Don't know if we have frostop here but I'll give a look. I need new habits. Doctor's not happy with my coffee drinking. Or my bacon eating. Pretty much anything ending in "ing."

bubbleboyisbest

sigh

Couple comments growing up in Avon Lake and only 9 miles from Lorain , discovered Seber's Old English Ginger Beer came in small stubby bottles, they have been out of business for years Last time I had it was 1970 or 71. I have tried Ginger beers of every make and model since and no one has come close to how good this ginger beer was. 2nd thought what was the name of the bad tasting cola that was advertised that it had all the sugar and twice the cafine?

Couple comments growing up in Avon Lake and only 9 miles from Lorain , discovered Seber's Old English Ginger Beer came in small stubby bottles, they have been out of business for years Last time I had it was 1970 or 71. I have tried Ginger beers of every make and model since and no one has come close to how good this ginger beer was. 2nd thought what was the name of the bad tasting cola that was advertised that it had all the sugar and twice the cafine?
Jlolt!

On a side note; the Coca-Cola corporation is dropping 200 international name brands
from their world wide market...

"Coke has a clear financial incentive for the culling — in July, Quincey said more than half
of its 400 master brands had “little to no scale” and accounted for just about 2 percent of
the company’s total revenue. "

EGA

On a side note; the Coca-Cola corporation is dropping 200 international name brands
from their world wide market...

"Coke has a clear financial incentive for the culling — in July, Quincey said more than half
of its 400 master brands had “little to no scale” and accounted for just about 2 percent of
the company’s total revenue.
"

EGA
I would think is would be an ongoing thing (why wait until there are 200 duds?), but what do I know?

I would think is would be an ongoing thing (why wait until there are 200 duds?), but what do I know?
They sell so much product that even that 2% of revenue likely equates to a decent amount of profit, but it doesn't enable them to maximize their profit. Also, tons of brand loyalty (as we see with TaB), and the world is full of people with unusual tastes. I once toured World of Coca-Cola and sampled numerous sodas that they sell around the world. Some of them were just weird-tasting to me, but people in other parts of the world obviously were buying them.

They sell so much product that even that 2% of revenue likely equates to a decent amount of profit, but it doesn't enable them to maximize their profit. Also, tons of brand loyalty (as we see with TaB), and the world is full of people with unusual tastes. I once toured World of Coca-Cola and sampled numerous sodas that they sell around the world. Some of them were just weird-tasting to me, but people in other parts of the world obviously were buying them.

Your diet affects the taste buds; sometimes what you just ate (drank) before something else changes
the way it tastes. It can also intensify or moderate the flavor.

Sort of like eating handfuls popcorn/potato chips alternated with M&Ms/Raisinets.

EGA

I think ale 8 is from Kentucky. You can find it at the grocery store chains. At least in the Dayton area.

Your diet affects the taste buds; sometimes what you just ate (drank) before something else changes
the way it tastes. It can also intensify or moderate the flavor.

Sort of like eating handfuls popcorn/potato chips alternated with M&Ms/Raisinets.

EGA
I understand all of that. Can't remember if they had anything on hand to cleanse the palate. I've done taste testing where they provided the crackers and water between each sample.

FWIW, I have unusual tastes and preferences as it is. They could give all the saltines they wanted between samples, and some of those beverages were still going to taste funky to me.

Last edited:
There's some bottler that sells a wide variety of sodas made with cane sugar at the local supermarket. They got your root beer, a couple different cream sodas, birch beer, etc. I think this was it:

Also, up until another bottler acquired them, the Cleveland Bottling Co. was the only Coca-Cola bottler in the U.S. that was still using cane sugar regularly instead of high fructose corn syrup in its Coca-Cola line. They only distributed to Cuyahoga County, so if I would have to make an airport run, I would always stock up at whichever store was running a special. Alas, it disappeared a few years ago. Other bottlers that distribute to large East Coast cities only use cane sugar around Passover since the Jewish population does not consume processed sugar during that holiday.

Anyone like "Mexican Coke" which is the orange-flavored Coca-Cola you can get from the freestyle soda machines?