Coaching Classifieds

CincyDistance88

Greetings all,

I have been looking around the local newspapers and OHSAA classifieds for assistant cross country coaching positions in the Cincinnati area but it seems finding posts is nearly impossible. I saw very few Cincinnati postings on the OHSAA site and hardly any cross country postings around the state.

Does anyone know where the best place to look for such positions would be or if any schools around Cincinnati are looking for assistant coaches for the fall season that could potentially carry over into track season?

Thank you for any information.

Mr. Slippery

I'm guessing you won't find many postings for assistant XC coaching positions on the OHSAA's website because it's probably not a paid position at the vast majority of HSs. Many schools, especially smaller ones, only have room in their athletic budget to pay the head XC coach. Schools aren't going to great lengths to advertise a volunteer position.

If you can find an assistant's position that is paid, then that's great for you. Otherwise, my advice would be to find a school that you want to be involved with, or find a coach that you'd like to work under and offer to volunteer your services. It'll be a rewarding experience for you, and you'll begin building a resume and building connections within the coaching ranks in the event that you want to make a side career of coaching.

Also, be advised that if you become an official coach at a HS in Ohio, then you will have to obtain a Pupil Activity Permit, or PAP, and that will cost you some money unless you're lucky enough to be at a school that will pay for it. The PAP cost me about $200 in total, and I think that's on the cheap side when you consider how much some of the certifications can cost. IIRC, you must have your PAP by the district tournament if your school recognizes you as a coach.

The PAP consists of:
1) Completion of an approved First Aid & CPR course or formal medical training - price will vary depending on how you fulfill this requirement. Red Cross certification is good for 2 years.

2) Completion of the NFHS' Fundamentals of Coaching online course - $65. As best I can tell, this is a one-time expense.

3) An FBI and BCI background check if you don't have one on file with the Ohio Dept. of Education from within the past 5 years - price will vary, figure at least $55 for the pair of background checks, but it could be more depending on where you go to be fingerprinted.

4) Completion of the PAP application itself - $45 for a 1st time applicant, $20 for a renewal. PAP is good for 3 years.

CincyDistance88

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful and fully encompassing. I will look into several programs I am interested in and hope they are willing to accept a volunteer coach. Thanks again.

Mr. Slippery

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful and fully encompassing. I will look into several programs I am interested in and hope they are willing to accept a volunteer coach. Thanks again.

You're welcome, and I hope some of the information I've provided was helpful. There could be a paid position out there with your name on it, but if not, volunteering isn't a bad way to go. You'll just have to ask around and see what's out there. Best of luck to you.

Incidentally, I started out as a volunteer with the goal of acting as an extra set of eyes for the head coach at practices and lightening the head coach's secretarial load (e.g. gathering splits, compiling results sheets for the kids, researching future competition, etc), so that he could spend more time coaching. It's still very much the head coach's program, but my responsibilities have grown a little each year, and working with the kids helps keep me young. :)

Running Man 101

Being a volunteer is very rewarding and I would guess most places would welcome you.

If coaching is a long term goal, then find a program that has been stable and successful over a longer period and learn both the hard (knowledge) and soft (people motivations) parts that go into a good program.

I just got my PAP before track started (full time technical job elsewhere) and it was about $250 out of pocket (school covered the background check). You can do everything on-line in about 6-10 hours.