Coaching Carousel

Brohm will a top 10 paid coach, higher than Herman, Riley, Peterson, and Franklin. Purdue going all-in.

Also I guess this is the result of the B10 expansion and the conference doubling their team payouts over the last 5 years. I've definitely criticized the addition of Maryland and Rutgers but maybe it wasn't so bad after all...

Perhaps this is a benefit of expansion. I remember in the past there being a lot of criticism on this board about Big Ten schools not shelling out enough money for coaches, facilities, etc. to be competitive nationally.

Over the last few years, the quality of coaching in the league has gone way up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I don't see Fickell taking a job like Maryland or Louisville. Cincinnati is a better place to win until the big boys come calling

That and I'm pretty sure I remember reading his wife/kids don't want to be moving around. That's why they took the Cincinnati job, it's less than 100 miles from Columbus.

Maryland's narrowed it down to 3:

Matt Canada - current acting HC
Mike Locksley - current Alabama OC; went 2-26 as New Mexico HC 09-11
Pep Hamilton - current Michigan QB coach and former Indianapolis Colts OC

Maryland should probably fire their AD.

Good get for the American. I've read that WVU fans aren't particularly happy with him and that next year will be a major rebuilding year for them.

I can't believe Houston ponied up $4 million a year for a coach. Wow.

Early reports make it appear that Fickell may get some serious play for the WVU vacancy.

I think he should hold out for better, but at the same time I think it may cost UC a little bit of money to hold on to him for another year or two.

Bit of an odd move but it looks like Dana Holgorsen is going to leave WVU to take the Houston job: 5 years, $20m.

Kind of a dynamic change for the coaching profession with the equally as big news being the firing of Major Applewhite. He had strong Texas roots, had a winning record and only got two years at Houston. The bowl game effort was a huge disappointment but then again he played a very motivated opponent and his players were not focused. There must be something else to the story behind the scenes, maybe along the lines of his sideline out burst with Ed Oliver?

Holgorsen was the OC not to long ago at Houston and still has a lot of ties down there. Houston, I believe is trying to re invest in their program and bring back some of their SWC glory days. Lots of talent, money and resources.

If I am Fickell I turn down WVU. I'd stick it out and wait for a better job.

Frankly, just give it a couple years and see how Day is doing up in Columbus. If things aren’t going great he’d probably be the leading candidate if he continues success at UC

Some notable assistants news:

- Ole Miss hires Rich Rod as OC and now has a couple past HC as their coordinators. (Former Colorado HC, Mike MacIntyre is now their DC).

- New USC offensive coordinator, Kliff Kingsbury, is getting NFL HC interviews. If he leaves in the next couple weeks USC could be in a world of hurt.

- Ryan Day has a lot of feelers out there for LB coach and Co DC. Al Washington was reportedly contacted and there is talk of Marcus Freeman getting a call too. I'm guessing a lot will depend if the rumored Schianno to Temple HC gig pans out. Stay tuned for more Day assistant news.

I'm not surprised Kliff is getting NFL head coaching looks. With the rise in importance in the passing game coupled with how QBs have become virtually unhittable at the pro level due to threat of penalty, I figured there would be a very good chance he'd at least end up as an OC at the next level immediately.

As I believe I said before, getting fired from Texas Tech will probably end up being a good thing for him. Due to his philosophy and how the game is evolving, he'll be an NFL head coach within the next 4-5 years if he makes the right moves.

Also of note in the coaching carousel, while Temple cannot be happy about their current HC situation they do get $6.5 million in buyout payouts to help fund the football team. For a program like Temple that can go a long way to funding some facility deficiencies.

Kliff is this year's Lane Kiffin. Nothing quite like failure/mediocrity resulting in rapid upward mobility.

Speaking of failing upward, it appears that Mike Jinks will be heading with Kliff to be the RBs coach for the Cardinals. Jinks had an absolutely horrific short run as Bowling Green's head coach in which he literally tanked Dino Babers' program from the upper tier of the MAC to the bottom overnight. After getting canned, Kliff got him a spot at USC and is now letting him tag along to the NFL. Incredible.