Coaching Carousel 2021

nwwarrior09

This probably deserves it's own thread as things seem to be heating up a lot this week.

Richard Pitino got hired by New Mexico seemingly within hours of getting canned by Minnesota.

Penn State hired Micah Shrewsberry, who's been on staff with Brad Stevens and Matt Painter for about 15 years.

Steve Prohm is out at Iowa State, and it sounds like UNLV's TJ Otzelberger will be replacing him. I'd love to see Rick Pitino in Vegas.

I'd love to see slimy old Rick Pitino take the Minnesota job where his son was just fired. Then his son can hate him like everyone else.

Speaking of slimy coaches, any chance Calipari is on the hotseat? probably not, but I did enjoy seeing him struggle this year.

Speaking of slimy coaches, any chance Calipari is on the hotseat? probably not, but I did enjoy seeing him struggle this year.

Probably no chance. A lot of traditional powers that usually rely on freshmen and sophomores to be impact players really struggled this year. I do think he probably needs to tweak his recruiting philosophy to get back to being a legit national championship threat.

Two big vacancies in the Big XII. Lon Kruger is retiring from Oklahoma, and it sounds like a deal is imminent for Wisconsin native Shaka Smart to leave Texas to fill the vacancy at Marquette.

Sean Miller has been fired...I wonder if this means that the hammer is about to fall on not just Arizona, but several other schools as well. He had one year remaining on his contract, so I take this to mean that they see penalties coming his way should his employment have been extended.

Sean Miller has been fired...I wonder if this means that the hammer is about to fall on not just Arizona, but several other schools as well. He had one year remaining on his contract, so I take this to mean that they see penalties coming his way should his employment have been extended.

Yet Bill Self gets a lifetime contract. The Kansas athletic department is the definition of a hot mess.

Yet Bill Self gets a lifetime contract. The Kansas athletic department is the definition of a hot mess.

The Jayhawks seem to be flying into the sun regarding possible penalties stemming from the shoe company payment scandal.

Good riddance to Miller. Hopefully Wade is next then Self. Kansas has already shown their priorities by committing to that cheater Bill though, so that's unlikely.

Last edited:
As a follower of Arizona Athletics, this is the chatter so far:

Not Gonna Happen, But Worth A Call:
  • Mark Few (Gonzaga HC) - connections to Lute Olson
  • Scott Drew (Baylor HC) - family in AZ (brother at GCU, father lives in PHX)
In The Arizona Family:
  • Damon Stoudamire (Pacific HC, former AZ assistant and player)
  • Miles Simon (LA Lakers assistant, member of the '97 national championship team)
  • Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech HC, member of the '97 Arizona national championship team)
Outside the AZ Family:
  • Tommy Lloyd (Gonzaga assistant)
  • Eric Musselman (Arkansas HC)
  • Mark Pope (BYU HC)

As a follower of Arizona Athletics, this is the chatter so far:

Not Gonna Happen, But Worth A Call:
  • Mark Few (Gonzaga HC) - connections to Lute Olson
  • Scott Drew (Baylor HC) - family in AZ (brother at GCU, father lives in PHX)
In The Arizona Family:
  • Damon Stoudamire (Pacific HC, former AZ assistant and player)
  • Miles Simon (LA Lakers assistant, member of the '97 national championship team)
  • Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech HC, member of the '97 Arizona national championship team)
Outside the AZ Family:
  • Tommy Lloyd (Gonzaga assistant)
  • Eric Musselman (Arkansas HC)
  • Mark Pope (BYU HC)

Unless they managed to hit an absolute home run, they should probably hire Damon Stoudamire.

His record sucks, but if you look at the situation he's done a good job at Pacific. He got hired in after the school fired a coach that landed them on probation along with scholarship reductions and a postseason ban. This took place within 2-3 years of the school making a sizable leap in conference affiliation leaving the Big West (somewhere around the 17th-20th best basketball league) for the West Coast Conference (somewhere around the 8th-10th best league and has Gonzaga and BYU).

With all of the baggage from the previous coach, Pacific was a dog---- job in WCC. Last year when they got off of probation they went 23-10 and he was Coach of the Year in that league.

With the crap storm I imagine Arizona is about to enter since they finally fired Miller, it would probably be valuable having Stoudamire who has experience guiding a program through probation and cleaning up somebody else's mess.

I would think it would be hard to hire Pastner into this situation considering Georgia Tech recently landed four years of probation and a postseason ban under his watch.

Earlier this year, the athletic department at Arizona also fired their football coach, Kevin Sumlin, who didn't last long after Rich Rod was also fired. With them having Sumlin and Miller's buyouts, I don't know that Arizona can even really afford any of those never gonna happen, homerun hires. I think the Gonzaga assistant is a real candidate, but otherwise a former player/assistant seems likely. Especially since they'd be coming for the program and tradition and less for the big pay day.

Agree with plenty on this. I think Stoudamire is the guy. He will not demand big dollars and will take on that role with plenty of pride.

That was QUICK... Arizona has hired Tommy Lloyd.

Edit: Fake news. Saw a few different sources last night that seemed to jump the gun on this and announced it was a done deal. Certainly plenty of smoke, but nothing official at this point and the oddsmakers still have Stoudamire as an even money favorite.

Last edited:
Agree with plenty on this. I think Stoudamire is the guy. He will not demand big dollars and will take on that role with plenty of pride.

Think they will regret not going this way? They interviewed him so in no way can they claim he was tainted by any of Az's past problems. Stoudamire would have done a great job but will he stick around now? Did he give his blessing for the hire that was made? Did the team? There are going to be some wanting some questions answered I bet.

I think if given the chance, Stoudamire would stick around. Whoever is hired will have plenty to clean up, but once everything is in place, it only takes one recruiting class to get things going in the right direction. It certainly does read as though Lloyd is the front runner.

Early hot seat for next year as at this point it's getting late to make a change: Tom Crean. The house seems to be on fire at UGA with guys leaving the program; at this point I believe everyone from his first two recruiting classes (2018 and 2019) are either gone or in the portal and soon to be gone.

Always thought the guy was a giant dbag with a personality like nails on a chalkboard. At 14-40 in the SEC after three years and having taken the program several steps backwards from Mark Fox's steady but middling stability, I think it's safe to say that unless he has a huge turnaround next year with whatever transfers he can plug his roster with he'll be getting fired again.

With the population growth in the state and especially in the Atlanta metro area this job has a ton of potential if they can get someone in there that has Atlanta connections and that can recruit.