Coaching Carousel 2021/22

Some thoughts about the coaching changes and rumors:

Brian Kelly continues to prove what complete douche bag he is. You can blame it on the NCAA too, but him leaving now is really low down. Stay until you see if you're in the playoffs or even after the bowl game. With transfer portal and recruiting the way it is, you may get hurt for one year by not being around for the early signing period.

I used to be a typical Catholic kid growing up being a ND fan. As I got older I've come to really dislike this program and most of it's fans. Very arrogant as fans and in real life. I believe it's a Jezzie thing. As for Marcus Freeman being Head Coach they really scored here. I think Marcus is a coach of the future and you'll see a ND team with a different attitude next year. I always felt ND trended to play tight under Kelly, because of what a he was. I think Marcus is a stand up guy and a really good coach. Interesting to see coaches staying with him versus showing an interest to follow Kelly. That in and of itself is a big statement about Kelly Douche.

Ryan Day to the pros? WHY? He's at one of the top college programs that continues to score top recruits. I think if he cleans up that defensive coaching staff in the off season he'll continue to contend for the playoffs and a shot at a national title. He's got a young team with a lot of potential.

Coach Fickle and UC sure seems like a good match. No one really knows what is in someone's heart but of course being an OSU grad and former coach you would think that would be big lure but Ohio State already bailed on him once so you have to wonder if that left a sour taste. UC's program has a bright future as it gets ready to move into the Big 12. Maybe part of it is my wish that UC could keep a quality guy for long term but Cincinnati has been good for Fickle, maybe when all is said and done he'll realize the grass is not always greener on some other field.

With the money now being offered these top coaches I really don't see an end to the revolving carousel. Anyone who looks at it rationally really can't get too upset with these coaches moving all the time unless you're like Kelly and make it pretty obvious it's all about ME!

What are some other's thoughts about this new amusement ride in the NCAA?

One last note, it is kind of sad that loyalty is only found far and few between in today's world. I'm not sure what the answer is because who wouldn't take the big carrot when it's hanging out there for you to grab. But at some point when is enough money enough and you start looking at a coaching position beyond just the financial rewards?
FYI, the Holy Cross guys run ND.

Remember ND's largest constituency is big city NE and Midwest ethnic Catholics, they are called subway alums for a reason. I lived next to one of these guys for a good chunk of my adult life and while a great guy his passion for all things ND was almost too much. Even when guys with Arabic sounding names were leading them to glory he was drinking that Catholic Kool Aid and buying into the prayers at the grotto being a difference maker. Well those days are gone and while this is a solid hire unless the admin moves to the pre-NFL major that is now NCAA high end football this program will always end up in that 4-12 type ranking that will always qualify in the expanded playoffs but fall shy of the coveted national title.

UC is actually in a good place. I think the new rivalry with West Va is a plus that they didn't have in the AAC and as a whole the Big 12 will be on par with the ACC when it comes to football moving forward. To maximize revenue they may need another stadium expansion but I am not sure where they can go. The one thing they should not do is move the location, that looked great on TV the other day and it give them a true college game day experience unlike some other schools located in NFL cities. I also think Houston too will make big strides in the Big 12; while not on the Texas level they don't have to worry about Texas expectations. They too have a nice stadium situation along with the indoor practice facility you see in the SEC and B1G, that is the next thing that UC will need to add but again where does it fit on campus?

Some thoughts about the coaching changes and rumors:

Brian Kelly continues to prove what complete douche bag he is. You can blame it on the NCAA too, but him leaving now is really low down. Stay until you see if you're in the playoffs or even after the bowl game. With transfer portal and recruiting the way it is, you may get hurt for one year by not being around for the early signing period.

I used to be a typical Catholic kid growing up being a ND fan. As I got older I've come to really dislike this program and most of it's fans. Very arrogant as fans and in real life. I believe it's a Jezzie thing. As for Marcus Freeman being Head Coach they really scored here. I think Marcus is a coach of the future and you'll see a ND team with a different attitude next year. I always felt ND trended to play tight under Kelly, because of what a he was. I think Marcus is a stand up guy and a really good coach. Interesting to see coaches staying with him versus showing an interest to follow Kelly. That in and of itself is a big statement about Kelly Douche.

Ryan Day to the pros? WHY? He's at one of the top college programs that continues to score top recruits. I think if he cleans up that defensive coaching staff in the off season he'll continue to contend for the playoffs and a shot at a national title. He's got a young team with a lot of potential.

Coach Fickle and UC sure seems like a good match. No one really knows what is in someone's heart but of course being an OSU grad and former coach you would think that would be big lure but Ohio State already bailed on him once so you have to wonder if that left a sour taste. UC's program has a bright future as it gets ready to move into the Big 12. Maybe part of it is my wish that UC could keep a quality guy for long term but Cincinnati has been good for Fickle, maybe when all is said and done he'll realize the grass is not always greener on some other field.

With the money now being offered these top coaches I really don't see an end to the revolving carousel. Anyone who looks at it rationally really can't get too upset with these coaches moving all the time unless you're like Kelly and make it pretty obvious it's all about ME!

What are some other's thoughts about this new amusement ride in the NCAA?

One last note, it is kind of sad that loyalty is only found far and few between in today's world. I'm not sure what the answer is because who wouldn't take the big carrot when it's hanging out there for you to grab. But at some point when is enough money enough and you start looking at a coaching position beyond just the financial rewards?

It's still going to depend upon what coaching staff he can attract to fill any vacancies and whether he has it in him to let go coaches if needed. HC is big different.

It's still going to depend upon what coaching staff he can attract to fill any vacancies and whether he has it in him to let go coaches if needed. HC is big different.
I assume you mean Coach Freeman. If so very good points but this guy generates a positive attitude that is contagious. It’s impressive how the current ND team is made up of mainly Kelly recruits rallied for Coach Freeman.
ND needs to go full on with the ACC and play for their championship. If they stay independent in football they deserve what that gives them.

I’m curious if Fickle really did fly to ND if it was to promote Freeman versus himself. I could see Fickle doing something like that.
Mea culpa about ND being Holy Name vs. Jezzie. I thought I heard they were Jesuits. No matter they are still very arrogant.

I assume you mean Coach Freeman. If so very good points but this guy generates a positive attitude that is contagious. It’s impressive how the current ND team is made up of mainly Kelly recruits rallied for Coach Freeman.
ND needs to go full on with the ACC and play for their championship. If they stay independent in football they deserve what that gives them.

I’m curious if Fickle really did fly to ND if it was to promote Freeman versus himself. I could see Fickle doing something like that.
Mea culpa about ND being Holy Name vs. Jezzie. I thought I heard they were Jesuits. No matter they are still very arrogant.
No need for a conference title if there is expansion, basically if ND is in the top 12 they get in. That is why their AD, (along with SEC comish Sankey) was on the super secret original committee that pushed for 12 with no guarantee spots for power 5 conference winners. This will probably be the issue that keeps expansion on the back burner.

What's worse: the way Kelly left ND with his assistants ( who were not informed) still recruiting, or what Miami did to Manny Diaz?

Kelly. Only bc Diaz stabbed Temple in the back to get the Miami job. I honestly don’t know why Miami didn’t just fire him, it’s not like he’s a great plan B if Cristobal fell through.

FYI, the Holy Cross guys run ND.

Remember ND's largest constituency is big city NE and Midwest ethnic Catholics, they are called subway alums for a reason. I lived next to one of these guys for a good chunk of my adult life and while a great guy his passion for all things ND was almost too much. Even when guys with Arabic sounding names were leading them to glory he was drinking that Catholic Kool Aid and buying into the prayers at the grotto being a difference maker. Well those days are gone and while this is a solid hire unless the admin moves to the pre-NFL major that is now NCAA high end football this program will always end up in that 4-12 type ranking that will always qualify in the expanded playoffs but fall shy of the coveted national title.

UC is actually in a good place. I think the new rivalry with West Va is a plus that they didn't have in the AAC and as a whole the Big 12 will be on par with the ACC when it comes to football moving forward. To maximize revenue they may need another stadium expansion but I am not sure where they can go. The one thing they should not do is move the location, that looked great on TV the other day and it give them a true college game day experience unlike some other schools located in NFL cities. I also think Houston too will make big strides in the Big 12; while not on the Texas level they don't have to worry about Texas expectations. They too have a nice stadium situation along with the indoor practice facility you see in the SEC and B1G, that is the next thing that UC will need to add but again where does it fit on campus?
Good point about the on campus stadium. Pitt football has never really been the same since they demolished the old Pitt Stadium to build a basketball arena.

Been many positive attitude guys that failed. Got the job because the students loved him, seemed capable but was slow to take care of business. HC is no place for a kind heart. It's a place for being ahead of the game. Welcome to management Coach! lol.

As far as "arrogant," I couldn't say. Like many of the "private" schools that were once religiously based, they have developed "I pay you" types that think they are supposed to be "prep" schools and that they work for those paying the tuition. Maybe same happening at the university level.

I think THOSE are the arrogant ones. Plus living in OSU territory, any arrogance by others is quite muted. I've never gotten that impression about ND or their fans even while going to Purdue.

OK, there was that incident. They were visiting, with the Priests walking down the middle of the road presuming no one was going to run their penguin azzes over. Other than that, no arrogance. Kind of funny in hindsight.

Been many positive attitude guys that failed. Got the job because the students loved him, seemed capable but was slow to take care of business. HC is no place for a kind heart. It's a place for being ahead of the game. Welcome to management Coach! lol.

As far as "arrogant," I couldn't say. Like many of the "private" schools that were once religiously based, they have developed "I pay you" types that think they are supposed to be "prep" schools and that they work for those paying the tuition. Maybe same happening at the university level.

I think THOSE are the arrogant ones. Plus living in OSU territory, any arrogance by others is quite muted. I've never gotten that impression about ND or their fans even while going to Purdue.

OK, there was that incident. They were visiting, with the Priests walking down the middle of the road presuming no one was going to run their penguin azzes over. Other than that, no arrogance. Kind of funny in hindsight.
Freeman might very well fail. I think there’s a lot of people placing unrealistic expectations on him bc of the hype. If ND wins 10 games next yr with their schedule, that’s a successful season.

Freeman might very well fail. I think there’s a lot of people placing unrealistic expectations on him bc of the hype. If ND wins 10 games next yr with their schedule, that’s a successful season.
Looked it up, I hadn't realized who that first game was. Maybe that was the purpose behind his statement? The way the moderator asked the "probing" follow-up question, it did seem a bit of a set-up. 10 wins is a potential play-off schedule. I'd give him a bit more lee-way and say 8-9 wins is a successful first year schedule. I think he hits it.

Guess not everyone is pleased with the selection of Kelly at LSU

Wow. According to Brett McMurphy, in late November LSU was prepared to offer Jimbo Fisher an 8 year, $125m deal. $13m/year in base salary plus incentives. He does not elaborate on why the offer wasn’t made. Talk about dodging a bullet.

Wow. According to Brett McMurphy, in late November LSU was prepared to offer Jimbo Fisher an 8 year, $125m deal. $13m/year in base salary plus incentives. He does not elaborate on why the offer wasn’t made. Talk about dodging a bullet.
I'll never understand why anyone thinks Jimbo is worth that much.

Some other notable coordinator hires>

The Mark Whipple move is interesting and perhaps means there’s bad times coming after Kenny Pickett leaves Pitt. Scott Frost is in a win-or-go-home year, so I wouldn’t exactly be excited to jump to Nebraska.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW Champion for Poster of the Year!

Tony Elliot, former Clemson OC, is Virginia's new HC and Mike Elko, former Texas A&M DC, is Duke's new HC.