Coach Specht Book: 4th and Redemption

ReLoad

page6image5087584

The 2016 Cincinnati St. Xavier High School Football team’s season was a season like no other. Injuries decimated a talented squad, and misfortune appeared often like few sports teams have ever experienced. Yet the team battled through the season to somehow make the Ohio High School playoffs with a highly mediocre record of 5-5, but mediocre is a matter of perspective. Coach Steve Specht chronicles the season, league, teams, coaches, and players. The story is not just about one team, but about high school football throughout the country and beyond. The story transcends athletics and focuses on embracing the struggles we all face in order to overcome, rise above, and find a larger purpose.
In that, the book tells the story of a team losing, persevering, and eventually succeeding – it ap- peals to all. 4th and Redemption is a must-read book for anyone that has ever faced adversity and felt as if all were lost.
With a foreword by Urban Meyer, afterword by Luke Kuechly '09, conclusion by Rocky Boiman '98, inserts by hall of fame high school coaches Chuck Kyle of Cleveland St. Ignatius and Doug Ramsey of Elder High School, 4th and Redemptions offers a unique perspective on coaching and teaching at the high school level. Parents and coaches will gain insight into one of the premier scholar/athlete programs.
Pre-orders of signed copies available at the following link: 4th and Redemption. Release date: End of September.

ReLoad:

Doesn't appear that the link loaded up properly.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

Last edited:
Coach Spect just did about a 20 minute interview on a local station in Stark County. Sounds like a good book.

And here I thought that this thread rising to the top signaled the resurrection of Reload (Re-Reload?), just in time for the playoffs— I guess we’ll all have to wait (at least) a bit longer for that “Second (Third?) Coming”...

Just finished the book last night. Wow,.....just wow.

Two observations.
1) It just reaffirmed to me all the reasons I made the decision to send my kid to St. Xavier back in the late 90's.
2) and what really struck me is that,......I remember all those games and various crucial/controversial points in each one. What I forgot was all that stuff happened in the same year. :LOL:

A recommended reading for any HS Football fan. (y)

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

I finished the book last night as well. Steve did a nice job of recapping 2016 season, key moments from past season coupled with "life lessons" that he has learned. May not be all that interesting for someone with no ties to the school or region, but if you are a fan of St X the GCL or Cincinnati football then it is worth the read.

Not only it is a fantastic read of an unbelievable 2016 season but Specht covers a long list of interesting topics….impact of social media, summer recruitment camps, recruting services, player rating systems, the Harbin point system, race relations, the previous state champ teams of 05 and 07, his son’s negative experience with Fairfield grade school football, future NFL players Kuechly, Scruggs and Albright, Scruggs journey from 3 year band member to varsity football senior year, his relationship with Urban Meyer, history of the GCL, spotlight on the Charley Wolf family, the Jesuit Bowl and his relationship with Chuck Kyle and so much more.

A great book with something for everyone!
GO X!

Not only it is a fantastic read of an unbelievable 2016 season but Specht covers a long list of interesting topics….impact of social media, summer recruitment camps, recruting services, player rating systems, the Harbin point system, race relations, the previous state champ teams of 05 and 07, his son’s negative experience with Fairfield grade school football, future NFL players Kuechly, Scruggs and Albright, Scruggs journey from 3 year band member to varsity football senior year, his relationship with Urban Meyer, history of the GCL, spotlight on the Charley Wolf family, the Jesuit Bowl and his relationship with Chuck Kyle and so much more.

A great book with something for everyone!
GO X!
Well Shut the Front Door. Welcome back