Coach Gentry wasn’t lying

To respond back to Vike- no I do not question the character of someone who transferred high schools. I do question the character of parents who lie about the reason in order to make sure their kid gets to play right away. That’s cheating and I am not cool with cheaters.
Also keep in mind to those saying that people can’t know the reason the DP players transferred there- one Of the players went on television and flat out said “I came to DP to play basketball for coach Gentry”. That is an absolute violation of the bylaws.

I'm not saying you are wrong to feel that way. But do you know these parents to know that they lie. Trust me I know that some parents will lie and do anything to get what they want for their kids, but is it proof are assumption

Can we quit with the race thing? Nobody is frustrated about this because an African American coach had success. The story line would still be the same if coach Gentry was Caucasian. It is a public school, in a small town league, where you can not recruit. So we can stop the Moeller parallels as well.

Everyone is simply questioning, and rightfully so, how it is that an entire team of brand new players simply up and moved to DP and were all immediately eligible right after he became coach. One or two players, ok maybe that passes as coincidence. 6 or 7 families with talented basketball players just all randomly decide DP is the place for their next step, right after Gentry becomes coach, come on. Nobody believes this was on the up and up. Sure maybe DP has the paperwork to validate that players 'moved', but the OHSAA isn't an investigative body. They don't have resources to validate these families legitimately moved, and whether those moves were prompted by athletics.

So no, it's not that people don't respect coach Gentry because his race. They don't respect the highly suspect way in which DP rosters come together.
Don't get upset truth is just truth.

So if poor ole OHSAA doesn't have the resources, why do they enforce rules that they can't investigate smh. I just think people have 0 proof that Gentry is breaking the rules, other than assumptions

I have 0 proof that this is about race, but people may assume that it is when you have a black coach / black kids and a mostly white neighborhood like it or not.

If he has broken the rules it will come out sooner or later. If he hasn't just try to beat DP the old fashioned way by playing basketball

Nobody probably does have proof, again because the OHSAA isn't an investigative body. Unless somebody comes forward with evidence, they take schools at face value. So unless someone wants to hire a private eye, comb phone/texts, public records etc then nobody will know whether these kids truly moved, or not, and if Gentry recruited them to come solely based on basketball. It's not a new problem that the OHSAA can't enforce something like this, it's just an egregious example.

Find me another example of a public school where an entire roster turned over with star players and coincides with the introduction of a new coach. That doesn't come close to passing the duck test. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Evidence or not.

I'm not saying you are wrong to feel that way. But do you know these parents to know that they lie. Trust me I know that some parents will lie and do anything to get what they want for their kids, but is it proof are assumption
If you read my original post- no assumption, know for a fact.
Nobody probably does have proof, again because the OHSAA isn't an investigative body. Unless somebody comes forward with evidence, they take schools at face value. So unless someone wants to hire a private eye, comb phone/texts, public records etc then nobody will know whether these kids truly moved, or not, and if Gentry recruited them to come solely based on basketball. It's not a new problem that the OHSAA can't enforce something like this, it's just an egregious example.

Find me another example of a public school where an entire roster turned over with star players and coincides with the introduction of a new coach. That doesn't come close to passing the duck test. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Evidence or not.
you mean like a tv interview where the player said he came to the school to play basketball for Coach? Oops!

I have no idea-
So then Mahaffey will be sitting for the second half of the year at Moeller this year right?
I would think so if he transferred in and doesn’t meet one of the exemptions. And if he goes on tv and says “I transferred to Moeller to play basketball for Coach Kremer” then definitely should not be eligible.

I have no idea-

I would think so if he transferred in and doesn’t meet one of the exemptions. And if he goes on tv and says “I transferred to Moeller to play basketball for Coach Kremer” then definitely should not be eligible.

I’m guessing they will find an “exception”.

So unless someone wants to hire a private eye

On that subject, the OHSAA's new guidance for principals and ADs includes this under "bona fide move of parents"...

Important Note about Verification
:
Please be advised that the OHSAA may conduct random checks on these claimed
changes of residence.
We rely on multiple resources including Accurint searches which reveal the likeliness of one’s
residence and may even send a private investigator at our discretion

P.I.s to find out if a family's really moved with the student? I don't remember anything that strong in earlier versions; in fact the whole five-page section sounds like it's been written by people who are thoroughly pissed off at how brazen some schools and families have become. The question is, are they bluffing? Or do they really have the resources to do what they say?

Which is why there should be separate public and private championships. Different rules. different resources, different models. Why are these schools competing against each other?

No, no, no.....can we please stop this? If you want to win a state championship you have to beat the best....there can't be two state championships. The thing is that the schools need to be playing under the same rules....and those rules need to be enforced. Open enrollment schools take transfers.....privates take transfers. It happens. My HS (small public school) has 3 state titles.....and yes, if they were in a "public school division" they'd likely have at least 3 more (some guy named Lebron got in the way)....but guess what, I can guarantee you every kid who played on those teams against Lebron (in front of 9,000 people at UT) wouldn't give up that opportunity so that they could be "public school state champions". If you do that, the public school champ will always have an asterisk beside it....people will say "but they weren't the best team". That's not going to work. The OHSAA needs to be able to enforce their transfer rules....and put everyone back to at least a somewhat level playing field.

I understand wanting to play against teams in the regular season. But you must understand this. It is simple. If 2 coaches have the same money and the same facilities but one coach only has access to the kids in his district and the other coach can get any player he wants, that is not the same set of rules and the public open enrollment schools and the private schools have a massive advantage. That is just common sense. Also the prep schools and boarding schools play by a completely different set of rules. The kicker is being able to enforce the rules. Since the early 80’s Maryland, d c , Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania , Tennessee, New York, New Jersey and Texas have had separate state championships because of these issues. The state high school athletic associations will not let them compete in the state playoffs because they use a completely different set of rules. If a coach can get by with “having players make a bona Vice move” or go to his private school which is outside of the kids attendance are well I guess they will keep doing it as long as they can. This has got nothing to do with school choice or race or any of the others arguments.

I understand wanting to play against teams in the regular season. But you must understand this. It is simple. If 2 coaches have the same money and the same facilities but one coach only has access to the kids in his district and the other coach can get any player he wants, that is not the same set of rules and the public open enrollment schools and the private schools have a massive advantage. That is just common sense. Also the prep schools and boarding schools play by a completely different set of rules. The kicker is being able to enforce the rules. Since the early 80’s Maryland, d c , Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania , Tennessee, New York, New Jersey and Texas have had separate state championships because of these issues. The state high school athletic associations will not let them compete in the state playoffs because they use a completely different set of rules. If a coach can get by with “having players make a bona Vice move” or go to his private school which is outside of the kids attendance are well I guess they will keep doing it as long as they can. This has got nothing to do with school choice or race or any of the others arguments.

What do you do with a school like Elder who gets 90+% of its students from the traditional west-side catholic feeder schools...same place they have for the past 90+years?

Elder probably gets more bball players from its own feeder schools than most public schools get.

Last edited:
You do what many states have done..it is based on attendance zones . Elder is much more like a public school as far as where they draw their students. In most states if a school has more that 20 percent of their students from outside their attendance zone they play in a separate post season tourney

You do what many states have done..it is based on attendance zones . Elder is much more like a public school as far as where they draw their students. In most states if a school has more that 20 percent of their students from outside their attendance zone they play in a separate post season tourney

So you're not saying separate tournaments for public, private, and public open enrollment, but rather separate tournaments for those who get more than 20% of their students from outside their zone and another tournament for those who get less than 20% of their students from inside their zone? I'd make it 20% of PLAYERS (not students). As long as the zones are reasonable (Elder would have Oak Hills and maybe Taylor), this makes more sense to me than private v public.

Last edited:
Most states that are separate are strictly down the public private split. The % factor would be a happy medium. And yes you could factor that percentage to apply to athletes across all sports. Just a thought

Mark Wise transferred to Taft...straight from a senior player at DP

the article says his family moved and he had to transfer.
When you're a senior, that's not accurate. He could have stayed.

the article says his family moved and he had to transfer.
When you're a senior, that's not accurate. He could have stayed.
That may be an OHSAA rule but Deer Park school district is not open enrollment. You must live in the district to attend the school.

Leroy Walker jr. also has transferred from Winton Woods to Taft from what I've heard? If true, Taft is loading up for sure.

I honestly don't see a way Deer Park can get these kids eligible to play all season. Even if they submit paperwork it can always be challenged and a good likelihood it will be at playoff time. Remember Clark Montessori having to forfeit their game and CHCA moving on in their place. I believe Finneytown reported them because player really wasn't legally living with grandparents and then the McElfresh kid was ruled ineligible cause he was reported.
Unfortunately, that is not how the OHSAA works. They don't have an enforcement branch that is running around conducting audits. They rely totally on reporting from member schools and even then they have a limited budget to conduct investigations so some violations aren't caught even when investigated. Now, I am not commenting on Deer Park specifically, just merely pointing out why a team that is cheating can get away with it quite easily in Ohio.

That may be an OHSAA rule but Deer Park school district is not open enrollment. You must live in the district to attend the school.
It's a state rule..every school adheres to it. If you're a senior and "move away" before your senior year, you can still attend that school even if you moved across the state

It's a state rule..every school adheres to it. If you're a senior and "move away" before your senior year, you can still attend that school even if you moved across the state
I know for our public district, Lakota, under their bylaws any senior student whose family moves away after the start of the school year is eligible to stay at the school tuition free for the remainder of their senior year.

How does this solve the problem, if by public open and public closed you mean open enrollment or not? Deer Park and Trotwood both do not have open enrollment, but yet have players from outside the district and a CB # of 0.

Not sure your solution solves that problem.
Where did Trotwood come in at? By the way all the players on Twood's 19' basketball State Championship team....HOMEGROWN 0 TRANSFERS! 17' football State Championship team 1 transfer and he transferred after his frosh year. And this year 2019-2020 is the first year of Open Enrollment! #FACTS