Clyde(6-3) @ Shelby (8-0) Div IV, Region 14

Maple_City_Fan

Thoughts?

Rematch of last year when Clyde overcame early 14-0 deficit to win, 35-21. Fliers ended up winning Division IV state title.

For the record, Fliers are on 8-game Playoff Winning Streak.

trap game for Shelby. Clyde always comes around come playoff time. winning state as an #8 seed shows for itself. not a matchup any top seed would want to get. if Shelby wins this they should win the region.

If Shelby wins this game, it certainly won't get any easier going against Bellevue-Van Wert winner.

Speaking of which, should Whippets get the job done, do you hope for Van Wert, and a home game?

Shelby will not underestimate Clyde and I know plenty of kids remain from last year's game. If they take care of the ball and do their business as they've done most of the year they should win it.

Owen Fisher just broke Shorty Brooks rushing record last week and has well over 1,500 yards rushing on the year.

Take him away and you still have Marshall Shepard and the plethora of receiving threats he's thrown to all year, spreading the ball out nicely. He is completing over 62% of his passes on the year and does not make mistakes often.

The defense, which has been stellar all year, just got a boost 2 weeks ago when the Division IV Northwest District Defensive Player of the Year Marek Albert returned to the lineup after breaking his collarbone the first game of the season. He now has a touchdown of his own as he took an INT 40 yards against Firelands for a pick 6 in last week's game.

All that being said Clyde is an outstanding team that knows how to win and should not be taken lightly.

Shelby 42
Clyde 21

If Shelby wins this game, it certainly won't get any easier going against Bellevue-Van Wert winner.

Speaking of which, should Whippets get the job done, do you hope for Van Wert, and a home game?
I'm not sure they would have a preference on next week's game if they make it that far. Whomever they would play next will be a tough task.

Shelby will not underestimate Clyde and I know plenty of kids remain from last year's game. If they take care of the ball and do their business as they've done most of the year they should win it.

Owen Fisher just broke Shorty Brooks rushing record last week and has well over 1,500 yards rushing on the year.

Take him away and you still have Marshall Shepard and the plethora of receiving threats he's thrown to all year, spreading the ball out nicely. He is completing over 62% of his passes on the year and does not make mistakes often.

The defense, which has been stellar all year, just got a boost 2 weeks ago when the Division IV Northwest District Defensive Player of the Year Marek Albert returned to the lineup after breaking his collarbone the first game of the season. He now has a touchdown of his own as he took an INT 40 yards against Firelands for a pick 6 in last week's game.

All that being said Clyde is an outstanding team that knows how to win and should not be taken lightly.

Shelby 42
Clyde 21
Man... you sure can sell a team haha. After reading this I feel like Shelby is the Alabama of HS football. (I am not trying to be a either)

I happen to think Shelby beats Clyde... curious as to how healthy Clyde is as it appears that Shelby is healthy according to your post.

Man... you sure can sell a team haha. After reading this I feel like Shelby is the Alabama of HS football. (I am not trying to be a either)

I happen to think Shelby beats Clyde... curious as to how healthy Clyde is as it appears that Shelby is healthy according to your post.

Haha, I don't want to come across sounding like Shelby is all world beaters but just wanted to point out to those not familiar with the team of what they are capable of.

Haha, I don't want to come across sounding like Shelby is all world beaters but just wanted to point out to those not familiar with the team of what they are capable of.
Says the one who ranked Whippets #1. Ha!

I'm okay being a homer. Your transgression was ranking Bellevue #3. You have to pimp that potential matchup for every cent you can get

Says the one who ranked Whippets #1. Ha!

I'm okay being a homer. Your transgression was ranking Bellevue #3. You have to pimp that potential matchup for every cent you can get
LOL, I have to get my jabs in wherever I can.

I hope it comes down to that game. They haven't played each other in a couple of years now so I'm itching for a rematch. :ROFLMAO::D

There's been some Greens, Schoens, Hays, Lepleys over the years.

But, nothing says Bellevue nowadays like Go Raymen!

Raymen.jpg

I should probably add, in my opinion, Shelby's biggest weakness was their schedule.

Normally we would have had stronger teams to face but the MOAC in general was weak. Clear Fork had a down year, Pleasant had just as bad of a year, & Galion had problems of their own with players suspended for a few games. The only real games we had on our schedule was an upstart Ontario, River Valley, & Lucas. The first quazi real test was in the playoffs after a game off. The offense and in particular our QB was off kilter that game and did not have the best night.

My biggest concern going forward will be relying on one RB for all starting duties. He's been banged up a few times this year and if he were to go down they would be missing a key part of the offense. I really wished they were able to do a RB by committee approach.

Last edited:

Shelby has definitely gotten a little healthier after the by-week. I to am curious on how healthy Clyde is.

Shelby 28
Clyde 14

Not Shelby's best offensive game but they got the job done. I thought Mahaney got conservative in the 2nd half with all the run plays.

An ill advised pass deep in Clyde territory prevented a possible TD for Shelby and it almost bit them in the behind when Clyde completed a 60+ yd pass on the next play for them. Defense tightened up and shut them down from there though.

Clyde will be back next year and with this experience they will be even more dangerous.