Club Teams 2017/18

I agree with just about all of your comparisons.

Where we disagree is the setting and Libero spots.

I think Platfoot will be the clear best setter in the state. From what I saw age is a non factor.

Also IMO, Huber is an outstanding defender, but I'm taking Gallagher in serve receive. The combination defensively of Mikesh, Gallagher, Platfoot and Pung should be fun to watch.

The other piece that is missing is Mark Bruns for Vanguard. He is a 6'7" lefty Opposite that is one of the 3 most dynamic pin players in the state(maybe not best, but most dynamic). The other 2 being Buelow and Rose.

I like Albers, I'm interested to see how his winter goes.

The three Air City guys that jump out to me are Dawson Walker, Rose, and Foy. Those 3 are a good start to any roster.

Vanguard vs Attack will come down to who can impose their system on the other.

Attack will run offense through C. Kiser as he is the dominant middle. Just like Moeller tried to do last year. I like all the Attack kids. Their struggle will be can they pass well enough to allow them to run a majority of in-system sets. IMO I don't think they have enough talent to thrive out of system.

Vanguard will shift to a quick attacking offense built off of the passing of Pung/Mikesh/Gallagher and setting of Platfoot. Much different than last year. Their challenge in a match-up with Attack will be can they run fast enough to create lanes for Mikesh. I think they will use Pung out of back row like he did with St X to create more options and take a little pressure off Mikesh.

At the end of the day I think Vanguard wins 7-8 times out of 10 as they can be more creative and are more collectively fundamentally sound. That said a few years ago this group played with Attack expected to win and Vanguard passed and served out of their mind. Anything can happen.

Very nice analysis above. Agreed on all points

I believe last year Attack 17-1 and Vanguard 17-1 played twice and Attack won both times. (Maybe it was just once, but Attack won) Vanguard adds Pung, Mikesch, and Platfoot. Attack adds C Kiser, Huber, McCarthy, and Devolve

Very nice analysis above. Agreed on all points

I believe last year Attack 17-1 and Vanguard 17-1 played twice and Attack won both times. (Maybe it was just once, but Attack won) Vanguard adds Pung, Mikesch, and Platfoot. Attack adds C Kiser, Huber, McCarthy, and Devolve

For the record Vanguard's 17's, beat Attack's top 18's team last season.

I swear I'm not a Vanguard homer:) Just been watching that club develop over the last few years.

Random question here:

I noticed that Dejon Clark is no longer listed on the OSU roster? Did he quit? Was he cut? Does anyone have any information on this??

Random question here:

I noticed that Dejon Clark is no longer listed on the OSU roster? Did he quit? Was he cut? Does anyone have any information on this??

that's strange, last I looked (few months ago) he was listed, and OSU had done a little video interview with him fairly recently if my memory serves correct...

First big tournament this weekend in Cbus.

In 18 Open, the top seeds of each pool are Vanguard, Attack, Indy Assault, PVC, and Fury.

Who comes out on top? PVC has been pretty good in recent years.

First big tournament this weekend in Cbus.

In 18 Open, the top seeds of each pool are Vanguard, Attack, Indy Assault, PVC, and Fury.

Who comes out on top? PVC has been pretty good in recent years.

Guessing it’s going to be vanguard vs attack in the finals with vanguard winning a close one... pvc and air city for the two 3rd place teams

Guessing it’s going to be vanguard vs attack in the finals with vanguard winning a close one... pvc and air city for the two 3rd place teams

Vanguard 18 Gold wins OVR gold this past weekend going 9-0. Semifinal against PVC a thriller. VG winning third (game to 15) 31-29. Shout out to Cinci Attack and Air City, both very very strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was particularly impressed with the Ohio teams. Vanguard was the best team in attendance. Mikesch was the best player in the entire gym, even as a maybe 6' tall OH. Gallagher was also very impressive, they were the two standouts for Vanguard. PVC was the 2nd best team in the tournament for me. I would expect both Vanguard and PVC to earn bids to nationals.

Attack looked strong, but lost their 1st round Gold matchup in 3. Someone said Albers went down with a leg injury in Game 2 and Attack lost that game and the 3rd by close scores. Was hoping for the Attack vs Vanguard finals, but I don't think Attack was better than PVC.

Air City also strong, with two of the better OHs and Walker was very impressive in the match against Vanguard

Just saw Attack's 17-1's had a good tourney, making the gold bracket in 18-open, as well.

I think Vanguard beating a couple out or region teams from PA looks good for OVR, and that Vanguard will be the clear pack leader in Ohio, with Air City and Attack battling for 2A and 2B. They had a super-tight match before Albers went down. Without Albers, I would think Air City takes that re-match.

Anyone know how serious the Albers injury is?

I was only there for a bit Saturday, but I was impressed by the level of play for every age level I saw (for the most part). Volleyball has really taken off here in Ohio!

Attack 17 took advantage of a very kind draw to make it to gold. They do have a couple of strong players though.

Don't think the injury was serious, but don't want to speculate on that sort of stuff.

I saw most of the teams, here is how I would have ranked them:
1. Vanguard
2. PVC
3. Attack 18
4. Air City
5. Fury 18
6. Steel City
7. Fury 17
8. Attack 17

for anyone who got a chance to see this weekend. how does this years vanguard team compare to last year's?

Attack 17 took advantage of a very kind draw to make it to gold. They do have a couple of strong players though.

Don't think the injury was serious, but don't want to speculate on that sort of stuff.

I saw most of the teams, here is how I would have ranked them:
1. Vanguard
2. PVC
3. Attack 18
4. Air City
5. Fury 18
6. Steel City
7. Fury 17
8. Attack 17

I’d rank exactly the same (for this weekend). Vanguard 18 Albertson had a tough draw and I think overall PVC is a better team. PVC crushed VG in the first game and VG squeaked out the second 26-24 luckily having the lead throughout the game. At one point VG was up 5 late in the second. The third game was a true battle In which VG prevailed and I give them huge kudos. I think PVC would beat VG 8 of 10 times. Was told first time VG 18 won this tourney. Just my thoughts.

I’d rank exactly the same (for this weekend). Vanguard 18 Albertson had a tough draw and I think overall PVC is a better team. PVC crushed VG in the first game and VG squeaked out the second 26-24 luckily having the lead throughout the game. At one point VG was up 5 late in the second. The third game was a true battle In which VG prevailed and I give them huge kudos. I think PVC would beat VG 8 of 10 times. Was told first time VG 18 won this tourney. Just my thoughts.

The tourney has only been going on for what, 4 years? And, I know the first couple years Saint Louis Hi-Performance was there (and won the tourney) - so not altogether surprising that Vanguard hadn't won it yet - but obviously nice that they did.

Unfortunately, I think the competition level was not high enough for STL HiP to keep coming in for the tourney, which sucks because that's a great club to get to play without having to go to a bid tournament... Sorry for that tangent :)

The tourney has only been going on for what, 4 years? And, I know the first couple years Saint Louis Hi-Performance was there (and won the tourney) - so not altogether surprising that Vanguard hadn't won it yet - but obviously nice that they did.

Unfortunately, I think the competition level was not high enough for STL HiP to keep coming in for the tourney, which sucks because that's a great club to get to play without having to go to a bid tournament... Sorry for that tangent :)

Agreed St Louis HP is a terrific club. Didn’t know the tourney was only a few years old. This is just our second year attending as parents of player.

Found this link on Youtube of Vanguard vs PVC highlights. https://youtu.be/y3UMUQpo1LQ

Vanguard played with 2 Middles added the week before the tourney. One had never played in a volleyball tourney ever. One had never won 4 matches in a tourney. Great job to players and coaches.

Mikesh was moved for favorable hitting matchups midway through first day. This allowed more size up front against big hitters.

PVC had 2 commits to PSU - Number 1 and Number 5. Both Hitters. Check them out in the video. Very impressive.

Talked with PVC setter. "key was we couldn't stop Vanguard's middles".

Vanguards ball control showed up in sets 2 and 3 which allowed them to run offense. Platfoot ran offense at high speed often creating solo hitting opportunities.

Don't sleep on a match between Vanguard and Attack 17's. Both are really talented. VG17 had a tough bracket with 2 Gold finalists. Both teams have size. Would be fun to watch.

Found this link on Youtube of Vanguard vs PVC highlights. https://youtu.be/y3UMUQpo1LQ

Vanguard played with 2 Middles added the week before the tourney. One had never played in a volleyball tourney ever. One had never won 4 matches in a tourney. Great job to players and coaches.

Mikesh was moved for favorable hitting matchups midway through first day. This allowed more size up front against big hitters.

PVC had 2 commits to PSU - Number 1 and Number 5. Both Hitters. Check them out in the video. Very impressive.

Talked with PVC setter. "key was we couldn't stop Vanguard's middles".

Vanguards ball control showed up in sets 2 and 3 which allowed them to run offense. Platfoot ran offense at high speed often creating solo hitting opportunities.

Don't sleep on a match between Vanguard and Attack 17's. Both are really talented. VG17 had a tough bracket with 2 Gold finalists. Both teams have size. Would be fun to watch.

Mikesch is so damned impressive. The pass at 1:15? Wow. His hitting is also very smart and good for a smaller OH, although obviously very athletic.

I also saw the semifinal game between Vanguard and PVC. Incredible competition as it went to 31-29 in set 3.

As NE Ohio guy, it’s obvious that our part of the state is FAR behind Columbus and Cincinnati for boys’ volleyball.

My opinion is that the girls’ programs in NEO are overall slightly better than elsewhere in Ohio, but there’s zero comparison, in the aggregate, on the boys’ side.

I also saw the semifinal game between Vanguard and PVC. Incredible competition as it went to 31-29 in set 3.

As NE Ohio guy, it’s obvious that our part of the state is FAR behind Columbus and Cincinnati for boys’ volleyball.

My opinion is that the girls’ programs in NEO are overall slightly better than elsewhere in Ohio, but there’s zero comparison, in the aggregate, on the boys’ side.

Who won the Ohio Division 1 Championship last year?

High school sports tend to be cyclical, I'd expect Ignatius and Ed to struggle this coming year, but won't be down for long

Since this is a club team discussion, I’m wondering which NE Ohio clubs even exist for boys volleyball - to my knowledge, it’s Phoenix (Cleveland area) and Elite Sports Ohio (Uniontown) and neither appear to be destination programs.

For all of the club/travel options in soccer, baseball and basketball in NE Ohio, there’s just not that many club volleyball options for boys.

Did Ignite fold?

Ignite very much still exists as a girls’ program. For the boys, they kind of tried to merge with Phoenix but that didn’t work out and their teams kind of ended up at Elite down in Uniontown. Some of the former Ignite boys coaches are now coaching many of those same kids at Elite.

are there just not enough kids playing club? or is it a lack of quality players? like Bramble was saying, a NE team can win D1 state championship but no one can get a decent team together up there for club?

it seems there would be enough talent in the NE to compete at least with Air City every year...

Are the players split between Phoenix and Elite, thus diving the talent pool?

interesting to think about.

i'm generally in favor of more clubs so one club doesn't have a monopoly on the area, and gives more kids the opportunity to play. however, in Cincinnati and Columbus you obviously only have 1 big club in each city, and that seems to be working.

I just get nervous of the politics in club volleyball that could leave a good player on the outside looking in, with nowhere else to play. But maybe the answer for the NE is that one of the clubs needs to absorb the other or something.

In Cincinnati we've seen Classics, Thunder and now CVA try to carve out a spot in the market, but Attack rolls along anyway. Similar in Cbus with VG brushing off competition from other clubs.

are there just not enough kids playing club? or is it a lack of quality players? like Bramble was saying, a NE team can win D1 state championship but no one can get a decent team together up there for club?

it seems there would be enough talent in the NE to compete at least with Air City every year...

Are the players split between Phoenix and Elite, thus diving the talent pool?

interesting to think about.

i'm generally in favor of more clubs so one club doesn't have a monopoly on the area, and gives more kids the opportunity to play. however, in Cincinnati and Columbus you obviously only have 1 big club in each city, and that seems to be working.

I just get nervous of the politics in club volleyball that could leave a good player on the outside looking in, with nowhere else to play. But maybe the answer for the NE is that one of the clubs needs to absorb the other or something.

In Cincinnati we've seen Classics, Thunder and now CVA try to carve out a spot in the market, but Attack rolls along anyway. Similar in Cbus with VG brushing off competition from other clubs.
It's really tough for a new club to crack in an established area like Cincinnati or Columbus. In Cincinnati, for example, all the meaningful players from the area all already play for Attack. Kids with talent tend to want to play with other kids that have talent when given the choice to. It's tough for the newer clubs to convince a really good hitter to play for them when the setting won't be nearly as good. They're only really able to get the 2nd and 3rd tier kids that aren't priorities for Attack and VG, which leads to further cementing their reputation as a club without much talent, making it harder to get the next wave.

Would take some aspect of differentiation to make it possible. Thunder had the fact that they were low cost and located on the westside of Cincinnati to try to appeal there but never caught on. CVA is trying for the higher cost, more practices/tourneys, nicer facilities, and located up north to appeal to that crowd.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

The top clubs wil always be the top clubs, VG and Attack will always be the top 2...but for the OVERALL high school scene and the depth of the HS talent in the state.. we are better off having multiple clubs. Central Ohio was at its best when both Vanguard and Elite were competitive

Cincinnati is an exception because Attack has 2-3 quality teams in various age groups.. but central Ohio... not so much