Club 2022-2023

Looks like Attack had a great weekend overall. Just about every team at least making gold, both 14s and 15s taking home hardware.
Some decent finished for a couple of the Ohio teams this weeked

Vanguard 18-1 2nd place in Open
Cinci Attack 18-1 5th place in Open
Vanguard 17-1 3rd pace in Open
Cinci Attack 15-1 1st place in Open
Cinci Attack 14-1 1st place in Open
Not to downplay the two clubs' achievements - the teams played well. But the overall level of the tournament seemed to be below what the Detroit tournament was last year.

Not to downplay the two clubs' achievements - the teams played well. But the overall level of the tournament seemed to be below what the Detroit tournament was last year.
Overall you're definitely right but there were still some notable clubs such as 630, High Performance, and Adversity to name a few so it's certainly better than just going up against Academy, A2, Fury, and OP for the millionth time.

This tournament seemed like a good middle ground and with such good results plus a few more weeks of practice, I'm excited to see what these teams can do in Chicago and St. Louis.

OPVC 18 purple Defeats Attack 18 Black in 2 sets without Owen Walsh, any thoughts?
When he wants to be, Bentley Meyer can be the best OH in the gym. The St X core 4 of that team do enough so that the other "holes" aren't important.

And not only did they beat 18 Black in 2, but then beat Academy 18 Adidas. They lost in the finals to C2 17s and played them pretty tough.

The twins are very good, the OH doesn't overpower you but just tools blocks and finds open court.

With Walsh does 18 Black win? Probably, yeah. He's worth two points per set I'd say which makes those tight losses possible wins.

I know not everyone loves Berk as a coach, but his teams undeniably improve each year.

When he wants to be, Bentley Meyer can be the best OH in the gym. The St X core 4 of that team do enough so that the other "holes" aren't important.

And not only did they beat 18 Black in 2, but then beat Academy 18 Adidas. They lost in the finals to C2 17s and played them pretty tough.

The twins are very good, the OH doesn't overpower you but just tools blocks and finds open court.

With Walsh does 18 Black win? Probably, yeah. He's worth two points per set I'd say which makes those tight losses possible wins.

I know not everyone loves Berk as a coach, but his teams undeniably improve each year.
Yes I agree, the past two years he has coached an OP team that doesn't have many expectations but manages to compete with the best teams attack has to offer.

In my opinion this 18 Black team has underachieved all year. There are to many weapons, with or without Walsh, to lose to OP. It seems to me that the only spot on their roster that is below average is opposite. Surprised they haven't tried to move Wheatley or Tombragel to the the right side.

Certainly a disappointing result for Attack, when they also in theory could have had Meyer on the Black team had he been offered. The tournaments are going to start coming quick, so hopefully they can pick themselves up and get some good results

After re-watching the game, what you said about the twins is very true a lot of OP's points were scored off of aiming for difficult spots to cover on hits and serves.

Certainly a disappointing result for Attack, when they also in theory could have had Meyer on the Black team had he been offered. The tournaments are going to start coming quick, so hopefully they can pick themselves up and get some good results
Bentley should have been offered a spot on 18 Black. I've heard he was offered 18 Red. Now, could've been an attitude thing or something like that given Falcon's "when he wants to be" comment or maybe he didn't wanna accept the role he was being offered, but I have to think he could've, maybe should've, made it over Hagerty and DS Monnin. Possibly Threm, too, but he's good to have for scenarios like last weekend where Walsh isn't playing and you need another middle.

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say he's a bad coach when it comes to the actual game, but his personality is awful. Way too full of himself, comes across as arrogant and condescending more often than not.

Winter season is now complete. It doesn't tell the whole story, but Attack 18's goes 0-1 against OP 18-1 and 0-1 against Vanguard 18-1.

Although going an impressive 35-12 according to AES, does losing to the in state rivals make it an unsuccessful season?

Winter season is now complete. It doesn't tell the whole story, but Attack 18's goes 0-1 against OP 18-1 and 0-1 against Vanguard 18-1.

Although going an impressive 35-12 according to AES, does losing to the in state rivals make it an unsuccessful season?
In my opinion i feel like the season is an overall success but definitely a disappointment. With all the talent on that roster they definitely shouldn't have lost to OP (Even though they didn't have Owen Walsh.) it makes me think about how good they could have been if they had put Bentley Meyer on the 18-1s instead of 18-2s.

In my opinion i feel like the season is an overall success but definitely a disappointment. With all the talent on that roster they definitely shouldn't have lost to OP (Even though they didn't have Owen Walsh.) it makes me think about how good they could have been if they had put Bentley Meyer on the 18-1s instead of 18-2s.
I think he should’ve been on that team too, but, at the same time, he’s not playing over Wheatley or Tombragel. He’s a stud, but he’s a rotational piece on that team as a DS, Opp or 3rd OH. Think they probably offered him 18-2 so he could be THE guy on that team. Just like he is on OP 18-1.

They won a lot, and although disappointing to lose to OP the one time they played, I doubt those kids are torn up about it.
Setting consistency held then back a bit through the season - but they had moments where they competed with some really good teams. If they play well, I could see them sneaking into gold at nationals, but think it would be unlikely.

On to HS season!

They won a lot, and although disappointing to lose to OP the one time they played, I doubt those kids are torn up about it.
Setting consistency held then back a bit through the season - but they had moments where they competed with some really good teams. If they play well, I could see them sneaking into gold at nationals, but think it would be unlikely.

On to HS season!
The bolded is most definitely true. Probably pissed in the moment, but got over it quickly. Still think Attack is the better team as a whole, just weren't in that moment. Plus, in Ohio especially, a lot of kids care much more about their high school teams.

Looks like vanguard 18-1s took third place. Pretty impressive.
They played great and defeated some very good teams.

When Will Patterson decides to turn it on, he's very good.

Vanguard should be pretty strong at 18s again next year, but not quite as good as this year. The 17s setter is pretty short, though, for an 18 open level setter.

They played great and defeated some very good teams.

When Will Patterson decides to turn it on, he's very good.

Vanguard should be pretty strong at 18s again next year, but not quite as good as this year. The 17s setter is pretty short, though, for an 18 open level setter.
Never saw him play for club teams. Is there another level he just didn’t get to playing for Moeller?

Very impressive tournament from Vanguard. The highest an Ohio team has ever finished in 18 Open. Kolb, Hoying, Gantt, Patterson, and Woolbert were all playing at D1 college commit levels.

Regarding Patterson, I think he is capable of playing up to the level of his teammates. Having a 6'7ish setter and VERY capable hitters surrounding him prevented the double blocks like he saw every swing in high school season. Will be fun to see how he grows at the next level

Could be the kind of kid who cares more for his club team because it's what helped him get noticed by colleges
He's been committed to Ball State for over a year, now - so, I'm not sure that's the reason, but he definitely seems to find another gear when he needs to. And having better teammates around you definitely helps in that regard as well.

Vanguard's ball control looked very good and Hoying looked as good as I've ever seen as far actually setting the ball and running an offense.

Attack's 18s just missed out on the gold bracket. They were a bit streaky, but when "on" they looked capable of threatening top teams. They ended up 23rd out of 54 in Open. I felt like this was a very talented group and although they did ok, I thought maybe they had the ability to do better.

OP 18s finished 19th in Premier. When I saw them briefly, Bentley looked disinterested and to be kind of phoning it in. However, the Berkemeier twins were putting on a show.

Now that the club season officially is over. It will be interesting to see if guys move clubs? The biggest change is A2 west is closing. This should help Op, Attack and maybe Vanguard. Time will tell. Any rumors?

I think most of the 16s and 17s age group player talent from Beavercreek, Alter, Fenwick, and schools in that area are already at 1 of those clubs. Will be interesting what happens with the younger kids, More of a drive for parents to make every week for practices

There is still Flight Academy in Dayton. Maybe more kids will go there?
Bill and Logan are good guys who truly care about the Dayton boys volleyball scene. Something I don't think "A2 West" ever really did. Dayton will likely still lose talent to Vanguard/Attack etc. but there's enough talent in the area to build a solid club. They're not going to be "Open" level teams, but that's ok.