Cleveland Heights removed from the Post Season by OHSAA

Same with wrestling. The state wrestling tournament runs all day Thursday, all day Friday and all day Saturday, most wrestlers leave Wednesday evening for Columbus and miss school on Thursday and Friday. This is allowed by the OHSAA for one reason. MONEY!
As long as the OHSAA is making money off the events, it's fine for the kids to miss school. Go out of state where the OHSAA does not see a dime and that's another thing. Nothing but a money grab.
Well other sports like golf and gymnastics also miss school for their tournaments but I seriously doubt they make a dime on those.

It is one thing to miss school for participation in postseason tournaments. If the OHSAA opened it up so any sport at any time could have the kids miss as much school as they want - there would be a big problem. Most wouldn't abuse the system, but some would. I know it seems hypocritical for a Cleveland Heights player not be allowed to miss a day but random Joe Smith golfer can miss a day for a regional tournament - but a line has to be drawn somewhere. The OHSAA drew the line. Cleveland Heights crossed it.

So you can lose all the school time you want in a foreign country that requires a passport but not a foreign country like Vegas that does not?
I hope someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the only international travel the OHSAA allows under any circumstances is to Canada.

I am a Heights alum, personally I can't understand how they didn't know the rule. I don't care who whistle blew, it is irrelevant. How hard is it to find a Heights basketball schedule. Everybody knew they went to Vegas.

A lawsuit is silly. Accept the punishment for breaking the rules and move on.

I am a Heights alum, personally I can't understand how they didn't know the rule. I don't care who whistle blew, it is irrelevant. How hard is it to find a Heights basketball schedule. Everybody knew they went to Vegas.

A lawsuit is silly. Accept the punishment for breaking the rules and move on.
Exactly. Ignore brusharc. He's an idiot. He has no info on this whatsoever

As stated earlier, Brush had the most to gain by eliminating Hts. Trying to blame Mentor is ludicrous.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated earlier, Brush had the most to gain by eliminating Hts. Trying to blame Mentor is ludicrous.
Nobody is trying to blame anyone here. The facts speak for themselves. The transcript reads that the call to the OHSAA was place from a number with a (440) area code. Lake County if I’m not mistaken?

Nobody is trying to blame anyone here. The facts speak for themselves. The transcript reads that the call to the OHSAA was place from a number with a (440) area code. Lake County if I’m not mistaken?
So clearly you aren't a brush alum if you don't know your own city has this area code too. Screenshot_20200213-191526.png

Why do you guys even give this tool the time of day ? He is a joke. He does not know Jack S@!t. The only team that has anything to gain is Brush - but unlike the village idiot I will not just blatantly accuse someone without proof.

Why do you guys even give this tool the time of day ? He is a joke. He does not know Jack S@!t. The only team that has anything to gain is Brush - but unlike the village idiot I will not just blatantly accuse someone without proof.
You converse with him more than anyone on the site ...

I just like to point out his stupidity

The frustrating part about this is that it is a well-known rule that is easy to follow. Other schools in other sports have suffered the same fate when they made the mistake.

It is really affecting the baseball and softball teams this year because their seasons start after many of the Spring Breaks are over. Spring Break was an ideal time to take these out of state trips but these teams are having to miss their trips this year because of the timing. It's frustrating for them but they know the rule.

eastisbest said:
So you can lose all the school time you want in a foreign country that requires a passport but not a foreign country like Vegas that does not?
I hope someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the only international travel the OHSAA allows under any circumstances is to Canada.

I was being a bit facetious but you do have to have that passport driver's license now, or a passport. But only a bit facitious. The rule is the rule, I get that crowd. But it seems out of proportion.

What's the difference between missing a day of school because you were in Vegas and missing a day because you were in Canadia? Or W. Virginia? Mistakes are made. Nothing was hidden. It was on their schedule. No one bothered to point out their mistake until AFTER the fact, so much for sportsmanship. It wasn't the kids who made the mistake. And by at least some accounts, they did notify OHSAA of the trip.

And would it surprise anyone that there was a boo boo on both ends, the school's and OHSAA? Busy people make mistakes with no ill intent. Does punishment fit the crime? OHSAA had plenty of time and opportunity to notify the school of their mistake before it was made as did any number of competitors.

Punishment doesn't fit the crime. Sit the AD and the coach, let the kids play.

I hate this for the kids. Wow what a blunder.... If there was a verbal by an OHSAA administrator. My bet is Heights could not Who , When and Where that person. Otherwise, its clear as day what the bylaw says... Tough penalty, but man you can't overlook this one. Yikes!

You don't have to have OHSAA approval to make the trip. You can only do it once and you can't miss school. No authorization is needed by the OHSAA. I doubt that they called at all, let alone can name the person that they talked with. For example, when I make a call to any company, let's pretend my cable company because I have a billing issue, I always get the name or identification number of the person I am talking with. Sometimes they are not allowed to give their name but they have some identification reference. I seriously doubt that they called because there is no need to make the call unless getting permission to miss school. If you knew the regulation and knew you were going to miss school, there is paperwork to filled out. There is always a paper trail especially in a school system. My bet is that a new AD and a new coach were clueless about OHSAA regulations and aren't willing to admit a mistake. With that said, I think the penalty is severe. Don't hurt the kids. Suspend the coach for the tournament and be done with it.

Last edited:
I hate this for the kids. Wow what a blunder.... If there was a verbal by an OHSAA administrator. My bet is Heights could not Who , When and Where that person. Otherwise, its clear as day what the bylaw says... Tough penalty, but man you can't overlook this one. Yikes!
This is very sad,i'm hearing now that Heights might file a TRO (Temporary Retraining Order) have to see what happens,in the mean time I will watch the two games left, Shaw and @ Warrensville Hts,wouldn't be surprised if they go all out the rest of the way,the AD did say that he will exhaust all options to him. Looks like Brush will have their way.

This is very sad,i'm hearing now that Heights might file a TRO (Temporary Retraining Order) have to see what happens,in the mean time I will watch the two games left, Shaw and @ Warrensville Hts,wouldn't be surprised if they go all out the rest of the way,the AD did say that he will exhaust all options to him. Looks like Brush will have their way.
Coach Bremer and Coach Mason go back a long way. Both of them are former professional basketball players. It’s a little far-fetched to erroneously suggest that the anonymous email came from anyone associated with Coach Mason’s program.

Cleveland Heights might be considering legal action

Quote from Cleveland Heights-University Heights school district :

On Tuesday, February 11, the District appealed the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s decision to remove the Heights High boys basketball team from the upcoming state tournament. Yesterday, the District learned from OHSAA that it denied the District’s appeal.

On February 7, CH-UH Athletic Director Joe D’Amato received an email from OHSAA stating that the team had been disqualified due to its participation in an out-of-state tournament during school days in a non-contiguous state to Ohio.

The team participated in a three-day Las Vegas showcase in December 2019 during the last two days of end-of-semester exams. D’Amato had received prior approval from an OHSAA representative for the team to play in the showcase given that all players were able to complete exams within the District’s allotted “testing window." None of the student athletes missed any instruction for competing in Las Vegas. Classes were not in session on those days based upon the modified school day/exam schedule.

"We were completely caught off guard by OHSAA’s decision to disqualify us from the state tournament,” D’Amato said. “The coaches and I were aware of the travel rule and we would never knowingly break it. OHSAA granted us permission to participate in the Nevada showcase, period.”

The District immediately appealed this decision and met with OHSAA representatives and legal counsel on February 11. OHSAA delivered their decision the following day.

“The District believed, pursuant to the Bylaws, that competing in an out-of-state tournament was permissible given that our student athletes did not miss any instruction,” D'Amato said. “I am sick to my stomach over the potential opportunities being taken away from our students through absolutely no fault of their own.”

The District is considering its options as it determines how to proceed.

...D’Amato said. “The coaches and I were aware of the travel rule and we would never knowingly break it. OHSAA granted us permission to participate in the Nevada showcase, period.”
A.D. D'Amato's statement has LOTS of detail about the specifics circumstances that "justify" missing the school time, but VERY LITTLE detail about the OHSAA official who granted this claimed "permission." I'd bet dollars to donuts the permission wasn't granted, or was granted under false pretenses.
If the district doesn't spend money to file a lawsuit, then we'll know who is lying to try to drum up public sentiment to save his own bacon!

If the district doesn't spend money to file a lawsuit, then we'll know who is lying to try to drum up public sentiment to save his own bacon!
They are going through the process now,considering the options on how to move forward on this,Cleveland Heights is not throwing in the towel,especially with tonight's game against Shaw being Senior Night Heights will not go out like that.

A.D. D'Amato's statement has LOTS of detail about the specifics circumstances that "justify" missing the school time, but VERY LITTLE detail about the OHSAA official who granted this claimed "permission." I'd bet dollars to donuts the permission wasn't granted, or was granted under false pretenses.

Lots of justification that doesn't matter at all as the rule says you cant miss any school time at all, not "you cant miss school time...oh unless it's like exam week or whatever."

Lots of justification that doesn't matter at all as the rule says you cant miss any school time at all, not "you cant miss school time...oh unless it's like exam week or whatever."
" Classes were not in session on those days based upon the modified school day/exam schedule." c/o Heights School District.

Last edited:
" Classes were not in session on those days based upon the modified school day/exam schedule." c/o Heights School District.
Modified when? Three months after the days in question? The calendar posted on the school's website still shows those as scheduled days. Are they trying to say there weren't actually any exams on those days, or are they arguing that exams aren't classes?

The longer this goes on, the more I appreciate how carefully the rule was written. I used to draft contracts for a living and I appreciate a professional job.

If that is true, they may have a chance in court. If it is NOT true, the OHSAA should add on another year to their ban and let the kids transfer schools without punishment for next season. I am not a fan of schools taking the OHSAA to court when a rule was violated but they think the punishment is too severe.

And letting student-athletes take their exams early while the rest of their classmates are still in school later in the week does not count as "classes not in session."