cleveland.com All-Decade Football Team

Was just about to post this for some debate. Definitely a lot of talented players who had great high school careers, and many beyond that. Not sure why only three defensive lineman were slotted for an all-decade team, as well as having two spots for "offensive athletes" and a spot for a "defensive athlete." Looks like Matt was just trying to find spots for players he thought were most worthy of inclusion.

As a St. Edward fan, the notable snubs from my perspective would be Tyler Orlosky and Jeff Pietrowski. Orlosky was as dominant a guard as I've seen at the high school level, a two-time all-state selection from that legendary Eagle o-line of the '10 and '11 seasons, and a Rimington finalist at WVU. Pietrowski was the defensive player of the year in '19 and a terror off the edge for two years. Neither player even made the Honorable Mention category. I'd also argue that Troy Dipre was worthy of at least an honorable mention as well. Two-time first team all-state LB in '13 and '14. A rare feat for any player to achieve at the D1 level, and the only St. Edward player to accomplish it in recent memory.

Over the summer. I actually posted something like this on Facebook and tagged Matt Goul in it. He said that he was working on one and that my list was similar to what his was going to be.

IMO, Glenville’s Shane Wynn & Heights’ Shelton Gibson were far more dangerous at WR than Jaylen Harris.

Was just about to post this for some debate. Definitely a lot of talented players who had great high school careers, and many beyond that. Not sure why only three defensive lineman were slotted for an all-decade team, as well as having two spots for "offensive athletes" and a spot for a "defensive athlete." Looks like Matt was just trying to find spots for players he thought were most worthy of inclusion.

As a St. Edward fan, the notable snubs from my perspective would be Tyler Orlosky and Jeff Pietrowski. Orlosky was as dominant a guard as I've seen at the high school level, a two-time all-state selection from that legendary Eagle o-line of the '10 and '11 seasons, and a Rimington finalist at WVU. Pietrowski was the defensive player of the year in '19 and a terror off the edge for two years. Neither player even made the Honorable Mention category. I'd also argue that Troy Dipre was worthy of at least an honorable mention as well. Two-time first team all-state LB in '13 and '14. A rare feat for any player to achieve at the D1 level, and the only St. Edward player to accomplish it in recent memory.
Orlosky should have made it over Byrne.

McVey being left off is criminal

Agreed on both of your comments. Surprised St. Ignatius didn’t have more kickers mentioned, even with the few mentioned!

The first half of the decade seems pretty underrepresented. This also seems to be too heavily based on post-high school success.

Orlosky should have made it over Byrne.

McVey being left off is criminal

Yes, I was going to let you guys chime in on your own players, but was surprised not to see McVey, Svetina, and Kavalec. And while they made special mention, I'd have taken Berger and Eichenberg over any of those LB's in high school.

I agree that many of the selections are based largely on post high school success, but I echo the kudos for Matt Goul, the only person writing about high school sports on cleveland.com and the PD. It discourages me to see every day countless articles about Ohio State football ( seemingly a record low today of 4 and 1 on OSU basketball) to the total exclusion of local college football or basketball and ( except for Matt), ignoring the fact that people who like to read about high school sports exist. So, thanks to Matt, the lone voice of the kids in a community that should be celebrating them, instead of exclusively focusing on college kids two hundred miles away.

Look at his Twitter.....seems like a bit of sports with a heavy dose of liberal politics. Dude will retweet multiple times about the same subject.

No thanks. I have an interest in high school sports, not Twitter. I have no interest in anyone's politics, conservative, liberal or otherwise. He gives me relevant high school football info in the Beacon and on Ohio.com and that's enough for me.

Yes, I was going to let you guys chime in on your own players, but was surprised not to see McVey, Svetina, and Kavalec. And while they made special mention, I'd have taken Berger and Eichenberg over any of those LB's in high school.

Agree.

I really thought Berger would be an absolute stud his senior year. Shame knee injuries ended his football career.

Eichenberg as a senior linebacker was tremendous.

I know he wouldn't make these teams, but I always thought former Eagles DT Ryan Adkins was an amazing HS player. So quick off the ball. Tough as nails. Strong. Great player.