Clayton Murphy Speaks Out

Dang, is he angry. I can hardly blame him. Covid-19 stands as the primary reason universities are cutting entire programs, and still no certainty that football, the primary funder of all sports except basketball, will even happen this fall. So sad that true student athletes suffer.

Dang, is he angry. I can hardly blame him. Covid-19 stands as the primary reason universities are cutting entire programs, and still no certainty that football, the primary funder of all sports except basketball, will even happen this fall. So sad that true student athletes suffer.
FYI Akron loses a bunch of money on football.

All MAC schools get money from the general funds/students fees for football. I did a lot of research when Ohio University dropped their men’s track & field program years ago. Most MAC school loses a million dollars or more a year in football. Only about 25 or so of the 130 Division I schools make money in football.

All MAC schools get money from the general funds/students fees for football. I did a lot of research when Ohio University dropped their men’s track & field program years ago. Most MAC school loses a million dollars or more a year in football. Only about 25 or so of the 130 Division I schools make money in football.
But it is such a GREAT recruitment tool! You lose focus.

Matt, I feel you are bringing up a great point. Akron's situation seems eerily similar to that of Ohio University.

This is right down to the vague, illogical administrative answers and their current unwillingness to have both the Cross Country AND the Golf programs return in spite of both groups being able to raise the appropriate funds (a courtesy already extended to Baseball and Women's Lacrosse at Akron).

The hidden "secret" in the OU story was the $479,000+ budget for their Women's Lacrosse team. Their AD wanted that cash (you know... to pay for the $85,000 worth of "inspirational graphics" and the nearly $39,000 for keeping the stadium lights on for recruits, both of which the football program apparently couldn't live without... ), and to balance the Title IX numbers, mens track and swimming had to go. But of course that wasn't part of the conversation when the sports were dropped initially. https://www.dispatch.com/article/20070503/SPORTS/305039865

If I were the Akron Alums, I would want to know what the administration is hiding. I'm betting it's something like the above, and would provide unattractive optics for the university. Like OU 13 years ago, the Akron administration is being TOO vague, and passing up clear and easy solutions to what is on the surface a simple budget issue. Something else is going on there.

Personally, I hope they find a receptive ear at the Akron Beacon Journal. Find a reporter willing to dig, and willing to keep their administration on the front page. Make them uncomfortable. An AD that is unwilling to tell his football program "NO" (OU), isn't creative, is possibly deceptive (as Akron currently appears to be), and is unreceptive to obvious answers to their stated issues deserves to have a spotlight turned on their administration.

It would be refreshing for the athletic director at a public institution like Akron to actually do their job and make the REALLY tough decision to hold ALL of his programs financially accountable. THAT would truly be front page news.

Money is not some new invention is it? Back when my mom and dad went to college (OU), they somehow had track and field and cross country. When I went to BG from 84-88, they somehow were able to have cross country and track and field with both men and women. How, all of a sudden, is it financially impossible? Football has become a joke. It sucks the life out of everything.

As the University of Akron cuts teams, former cross country runners fight to save their program
by Kyle Cochrun
July 2, 2020

I AM ASTONISHED!!!

Considering that Kyle wore his team shorts backwards more than correctly in High School and that he did not bring his spikes or uniform to the state meet when he was the alternate for the 4x800, Well written. Infuriating, but he did a nice job. Heads need to roll. When BG got rid of men's track and field, they lost me for life. I do still have my degree. My son wants to know why it's in the passanger door storage pocket of my car though. In case I need emergency toilet paper or it's as good as in the trash if it's in my car. I threw out,(burned) my uniform, letter and jacket. I don't have a single thing but memories and a deep seeded hatred. Burned everything just so there was no chance it was picked up by someone in a thrift store or something. I din't go out of my way to burn it, but if I had a fire and something from BG close by, it went in.

I almost seems irresponsible to just allow $80k be wasted like that. It's a state run institution. I would think there has to be some sort of requirement to show their work. Should be public record. I hate all this garbage. I grew up on that campus and have memories of me and my dad there. He gave that place his heart and soul. It's crushing.