Claymont Mustang Wrestling 2020-2021(Let’s Hope For A Season)

What’s the line up going to look like for each weight class? Hear a good kid from the county might be coming soon to Claymont?

Last edited:
Will clay get back to where they once were?
Not anytime soon, as long as you have the current BOE I wouldn't get my hopes up to high, case in point, you had a chance to get Brian Dolph for the head coaching job and they passed on him for whatever reason. Your losing kids to different programs, I know of 3 that are at a D-1 program just to the north of you because of the situation going on down their, I hope your program can turn it around but unless drastic changes are made I'm not so sure good luck

Not anytime soon, as long as you have the current BOE I wouldn't get my hopes up to high, case in point, you had a chance to get Brian Dolph for the head coaching job and they passed on him for whatever reason. Your losing kids to different programs, I know of 3 that are at a D-1 program just to the north of you because of the situation going on down their, I hope your program can turn it around but unless drastic changes are made I'm not so sure good luck

Dolph didn’t want the job. To far of a drive from North Canton to U-town. Don’t blame the BOE on that one. Sorry that’s fake news at its best.

I’m thinking almost most of the lineup is back. However, I think they’ll have a solid year, but it’ll be a building block for the future.

I’m thinking almost most of the lineup is back. However, I think they’ll have a solid year, but it’ll be a building block for the future.
What’s solid? Last year was the first season with no SQ’s in 30 years? If they are building for the future they better get the right people in place from JH on up to HS or they’ll have more people walking out the door. (Bringing in Dustin Warner was a great 1st step, now open that door to the rest of the Warners)

I think Shaw would have qualified if he wasn't injured, and Clark lost by one point in his go to match and ended up an alternate. I'm curious if they stay at 195 and 220, or move up to 220 and HWT.

What’s solid? Last year was the first season with no SQ’s in 30 years? If they are building for the future they better get the right people in place from JH on up to HS or they’ll have more people walking out the door. (Bringing in Dustin Warner was a great 1st step, now open that door to the rest of the Warners)

It’s going to be a step by step process... agree, bringing in Warner was a great move. Also, by solid this year I mean I don’t see them losing to any of the local teams this year.. The Stangs arnt where they should be, but it’s gotta start somewhere so it can be a building block..

It’s going to be a step by step process... agree, bringing in Warner was a great move. Also, by solid this year I mean I don’t see them losing to any of the local teams this year.. The Stangs arnt where they should be, but it’s gotta start somewhere so it can be a building block..

IV lost less then Claymont and have a bunch of incoming good kids. Dover I don’t think lost anyone. They wrestled Claymont pretty well. Sandy valley looks to be loaded this year. They have everyone back plus 2 state qualifiers that didn’t wrestle last year are back out and ranked in top 10. They field a full line up. Np has some pretty good 9-10th graders with a nice mix of Jr Sr ok team. I think Np will be much better.

No one will be much above the next one

We could find out the second weekend in December as Dover, Claymont, Sandy Valley, and Indian Valley are all in the Barnesville Doan Ford Tournament. Hopefully, that tournament is allowed to proceed.

Indiana Valley has been a nice surprise the last few years. Nice to see them doing good things No SQ return to the line up. They do have a good group of younger kids in the mix tho. Losing Fockler to Perry was a big blow. I would say lighter weights they are as good as anyone. Where they will struggle is 152 to Heavy weight. Not much there or much depth from 170 on. I could see 3-4 SQ if they fall into the right weight classes. Could also see them not sending anyone as well.

Claymont has been down the last few years. Didn’t matter who was coaching them. The talent ran dry it happens in all sports from time to time. Not to forget they lost some really good kids to injury in Akers and Harlan would have been knocking on the door for state last year. I’m sure they would have helped the team out. I think parish was another one that was hurt part of the year. Akers is back out and the jaw seems fixed. Harlan sat out last year as well and sounds like he’s coming back out. Claymont has a few young kids that they can build around. Stewart Fawcett Shaw Akers is a few. Also Sr. Seth Ferguson should be knocking on the door to state this year. I would say if Akers Harlan Parish stay healthy this team will be very much improved. I could see 3-5 SQ this year for Claymont.

Sandy valley has Boggs 106 who should make it to state. Devon Watkins 132 ranked top 15. 132 Brody Marks returning SQ ranked 12th. 160 Gentry 30 wins last year. 170 Reese franks pretty sure he was a SQ from two years ago. Cameron Blair SQ 182 ranked 6th who didn’t wrestle last year. 220 Moyer Ranked 4th. This team will surprise people. They fill every weight class and with Frank’s and Blair back out should really be a nice group of kids. I could see 4-6 SQ for SV this year. With 3 placing. That’s great for SV. If the Crank kid would have had his head screwed on and not got booted out of school and Dom didn’t transfer to Louisville this could have been a top 10 team in D3. League title could be a real close race.

Dover started like 6-7 Freshman 3 Soph and a few JRs. I’m pretty sure they had no Sr in the line up. It’s nice to see Dover with so many young kids. They had a few at districts and 1 SQ. The program has been down for years and the numbers shrinking. 145 Harmon Kiser 160 weaver 170 Lurie 195 should be the leaders in the upper weights. Dover has some good light weights sprinkled in the mix as well. I think they have beat Np 7-8 years in a row. Nice to see them back in D2. They finally got some new coaching on staff that was much needed. Should really help them grow these young kids. I always thought if they had the right head coach Dover could field teams hard to beat. They do it in football and basketball. It’s a shame there’s years with only 15 kids on the team. Maybe with the new coaches new school they can build the program. I have heard twice in the last week tho there is a real high chance they will be losing there best wrestler do to transfer?

Np has Ortt Gamertsfelder and Gibbs that Return. With a bunch of freshman Sophomores in the mix. Np should be very well improved this year. It’s been years since Np was relevant in wrestling. Looking forward to seeing how they compete. They had an excellent middle school team 2 years ago they should be ready to step in At the high school level now. It’s been years since Np beat Indian valley Claymont or even Dover. I would say this could be the year they could pick one of them off. Should be interesting year for wrestling and for Np. Ortt prob has best chance at making state depending on weight class. Gibbs and Gamertsfelder could figure into the mix. Depends on how much work in the off season they put in.

Thanks for the info as we don't have much visibility up here in CLE area. Always had much respect for Claymont and surrounding schools. Good Luck.

Indiana Valley has been a nice surprise the last few years. Nice to see them doing good things No SQ return to the line up. They do have a good group of younger kids in the mix tho. Losing Fockler to Perry was a big blow. I would say lighter weights they are as good as anyone. Where they will struggle is 152 to Heavy weight. Not much there or much depth from 170 on. I could see 3-4 SQ if they fall into the right weight classes. Could also see them not sending anyone as well.

Claymont has been down the last few years. Didn’t matter who was coaching them. The talent ran dry it happens in all sports from time to time. Not to forget they lost some really good kids to injury in Akers and Harlan would have been knocking on the door for state last year. I’m sure they would have helped the team out. I think parish was another one that was hurt part of the year. Akers is back out and the jaw seems fixed. Harlan sat out last year as well and sounds like he’s coming back out. Claymont has a few young kids that they can build around. Stewart Fawcett Shaw Akers is a few. Also Sr. Seth Ferguson should be knocking on the door to state this year. I would say if Akers Harlan Parish stay healthy this team will be very much improved. I could see 3-5 SQ this year for Claymont.

Sandy valley has Boggs 106 who should make it to state. Devon Watkins 132 ranked top 15. 132 Brody Marks returning SQ ranked 12th. 160 Gentry 30 wins last year. 170 Reese franks pretty sure he was a SQ from two years ago. Cameron Blair SQ 182 ranked 6th who didn’t wrestle last year. 220 Moyer Ranked 4th. This team will surprise people. They fill every weight class and with Frank’s and Blair back out should really be a nice group of kids. I could see 4-6 SQ for SV this year. With 3 placing. That’s great for SV. If the Crank kid would have had his head screwed on and not got booted out of school and Dom didn’t transfer to Louisville this could have been a top 10 team in D3. League title could be a real close race.

Dover started like 6-7 Freshman 3 Soph and a few JRs. I’m pretty sure they had no Sr in the line up. It’s nice to see Dover with so many young kids. They had a few at districts and 1 SQ. The program has been down for years and the numbers shrinking. 145 Harmon Kiser 160 weaver 170 Lurie 195 should be the leaders in the upper weights. Dover has some good light weights sprinkled in the mix as well. I think they have beat Np 7-8 years in a row. Nice to see them back in D2. They finally got some new coaching on staff that was much needed. Should really help them grow these young kids. I always thought if they had the right head coach Dover could field teams hard to beat. They do it in football and basketball. It’s a shame there’s years with only 15 kids on the team. Maybe with the new coaches new school they can build the program. I have heard twice in the last week tho there is a real high chance they will be losing there best wrestler do to transfer?

Np has Ortt Gamertsfelder and Gibbs that Return. With a bunch of freshman Sophomores in the mix. Np should be very well improved this year. It’s been years since Np was relevant in wrestling. Looking forward to seeing how they compete. They had an excellent middle school team 2 years ago they should be ready to step in At the high school level now. It’s been years since Np beat Indian valley Claymont or even Dover. I would say this could be the year they could pick one of them off. Should be interesting year for wrestling and for Np. Ortt prob has best chance at making state depending on weight class. Gibbs and Gamertsfelder could figure into the mix. Depends on how much work in the off season they put in.

Thanks for the breakdown. Hoping for an exciting year of wrestling in the valley. I think you have to include Carrollton in the area breakdown too. Coach Pasuik was a class act and built a homegrown program that has been consistently one of the best in the area. It will be interesting to see how the coaching transition goes, but I feel like the program is in great hands and will continue to be a top 5/10 team in at district level and challenge yearly for an EBC title.

Indian Valley- Coach Swaldo really laid the groundwork for the success the Braves are having now. Took some lumps early on but saw the process through. Having him as an AD should really benefit the continued upward trajectory of the program. Word is the Braves will be the beneficiary of some "move-ins" this year. New facilities, young + energetic staff.

Claymont- The Stangs are reloading. The wrestling base this community has cannot be matched locally. That being said there has been some disconnect in that base but it has been repaired and many of these factions are back on the same page. Still a ton of talented wrestling families that have kids in the systems. The culture is still there, talent is still coming through. I expect the Stangs to make a jump this year, and the year after that....watch out. This is an important year though to get the train back on track. I agree, I could see 3-5 qualifiers for the Stangs, with Shaw placing in Columbus (maybe another too). The teams last year were going to struggle regardless of who was coaching.

Sandy Valley, I remember if the Groff years SV always had full rosters, solid kids top to bottom, but not a ton of "blue chippers" each year. Coach D has done a phenomenal job of producing "blue chippers" but they have struggled to have those traditional top to bottom full roster SV teams. That will not be the case this year, roster is loaded, could be a banner year for the program. As pipe mentioned, a few high-end kids are returning, excited to catch a few of their duals this year.

Dover could be sneaky good this year. Their issues seem to stem from a fall off in the youth program over the years. The program had some really good teams in the 2015, 2016, 2017 years. Having attended Top Gun for almost 24 years I can remember one of those years the Tornadoes actually had more placers at Top Gun then the Stangs & at that moment it kinda felt like they were going to be a program to watch out for in years to come. Two of those years I believe they were division 1 by a few kids and were still sending kids to state and having underclassmen go 2-2 at the absolutely brutal North Canton District. This year I think they are the darkhorse team in the area. Who are the new coaches? What are their credentials?

New Phila- This program reached its peak under Coach Nutter. Anyone remember those Claymont/Phila battles from the early to mid 2000s? A few classics at the pit. I've always felt that New Phila could be an absolute gold mine. The youth and middle schools programs have been loaded in the past. In terms of wrestling culture, a ton of "Nutter Trained' dads that now have kids in the school system. There are wrestling families in the community. I do agree, Phila will be improved this year. However, there has been some attrition within the program over the years and possibly this year too. Still think this is a sleeping giant.

Would love to see a T-County dual tournament this year. Someone needs to make this happen.

Clay-3
Sv-5
IV-0
Dover-1
Newc-3
Np-0

So this is how I see the teams finishing In the area. The numbers beside are the numbers of SQ I think each will have. I could be way off this is just for fun and I know less then all of you about this stuff. Or the teams. The Top 3 could flip in any order. I’d be interested what wrestler is leaving Dover? where is he going?

I love the county dual tournament idea. I would include SV Carrollton Garaway try to make it so all teams get 5 duals. Do it on a Saturday and let it rotate each year to a different school. Might need to find a 10th team unless #1 seed gets a
By.

claymont does the super Duals now.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Power house, post:

what wrestler is leaving Dover? where is he going?

My guess would be the #132 or #160 from last year. If it’s the #160 I’d say Claymont/Louisville/Perry in that order. if it’s the #132 I’d say Np[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Power house, post:

what wrestler is leaving Dover? where is he going?

My guess would be the #132 or #160 from last year. If it’s the #160 I’d say Claymont/Louisville/Perry in that order. if it’s the #132 I’d say Np
[/QUOTE]
Wouldn’t that decision be already made if he intended on leaving? Open Enrollment would mean he would miss half the season right?

Wouldn’t that decision be already made if he intended on leaving? Open Enrollment would mean he would miss half the season right?
[/QUOTE]

If you move into a district you don’t have to sit out. I was told both kids parents house are on the market for sale. Both kids parents are well off my source says and want out of Dover, time will tell I guess

Nph 0
Sandy v 4. watkins
marks
Blair
moyer
Newcomestown 3
Hursey
Meek
Sanders
Dover 1
Kiser sq 160 but a very deep weight class .
Indian valley 3 if they can get in the right weights steagull106
Beatty 120
R meyers 145
Claymont 1
Shaw or clark at 220 . 195 and heavyweight are very deep to get out.
Uppers at Claymont district 152,160,170,182,195,hwy very deep.
Good luck to all

Nph 0
Sandy v 4. watkins
marks
Blair
moyer
Newcomestown 3
Hursey
Meek
Sanders
Dover 1
Kiser sq 160 but a very deep weight class .
Indian valley 3 if they can get in the right weights steagull106
Beatty 120
R meyers 145
Claymont 1
Shaw or clark at 220 . 195 and heavyweight are very deep to get out.
Uppers at Claymont district 152,160,170,182,195,hwy very deep.
Good luck to all

Boro rankings not right just a guess. No one knows what weight anyone will go at this time of year. I’d say Claymont gets 2-4 to state and I’d say IV 1 at best

Last edited:
Thanks for the breakdown. Hoping for an exciting year of wrestling in the valley. I think you have to include Carrollton in the area breakdown too. Coach Pasuik was a class act and built a homegrown program that has been consistently one of the best in the area. It will be interesting to see how the coaching transition goes, but I feel like the program is in great hands and will continue to be a top 5/10 team in at district level and challenge yearly for an EBC title.

Indian Valley- Coach Swaldo really laid the groundwork for the success the Braves are having now. Took some lumps early on but saw the process through. Having him as an AD should really benefit the continued upward trajectory of the program. Word is the Braves will be the beneficiary of some "move-ins" this year. New facilities, young + energetic staff.

Claymont- The Stangs are reloading. The wrestling base this community has cannot be matched locally. That being said there has been some disconnect in that base but it has been repaired and many of these factions are back on the same page. Still a ton of talented wrestling families that have kids in the systems. The culture is still there, talent is still coming through. I expect the Stangs to make a jump this year, and the year after that....watch out. This is an important year though to get the train back on track. I agree, I could see 3-5 qualifiers for the Stangs, with Shaw placing in Columbus (maybe another too). The teams last year were going to struggle regardless of who was coaching.

Sandy Valley, I remember if the Groff years SV always had full rosters, solid kids top to bottom, but not a ton of "blue chippers" each year. Coach D has done a phenomenal job of producing "blue chippers" but they have struggled to have those traditional top to bottom full roster SV teams. That will not be the case this year, roster is loaded, could be a banner year for the program. As pipe mentioned, a few high-end kids are returning, excited to catch a few of their duals this year.

Dover could be sneaky good this year. Their issues seem to stem from a fall off in the youth program over the years. The program had some really good teams in the 2015, 2016, 2017 years. Having attended Top Gun for almost 24 years I can remember one of those years the Tornadoes actually had more placers at Top Gun then the Stangs & at that moment it kinda felt like they were going to be a program to watch out for in years to come. Two of those years I believe they were division 1 by a few kids and were still sending kids to state and having underclassmen go 2-2 at the absolutely brutal North Canton District. This year I think they are the darkhorse team in the area. Who are the new coaches? What are their credentials?

New Phila- This program reached its peak under Coach Nutter. Anyone remember those Claymont/Phila battles from the early to mid 2000s? A few classics at the pit. I've always felt that New Phila could be an absolute gold mine. The youth and middle schools programs have been loaded in the past. In terms of wrestling culture, a ton of "Nutter Trained' dads that now have kids in the school system. There are wrestling families in the community. I do agree, Phila will be improved this year. However, there has been some attrition within the program over the years and possibly this year too. Still think this is a sleeping giant.

Would love to see a T-County dual tournament this year. Someone needs to make this happen.
The mustangs are not reloading unless tom ryan is coming to claymont.they have a warner on staff which is huge move,but have had to many transfer out, multiple youth and jr high state placers and qualifiers . Betty,stegull, fockler,thomas,galloway,abbauhl .They are graduating Stewart, harlin, clark, ferguson. Unfortunately it will be down for years to come.They do have a good youth program going on there now though.

The mustangs are not reloading unless tom ryan is coming to claymont.they have a warner on staff which is huge move,but have had to many transfer out, multiple youth and jr high state placers and qualifiers . Betty,stegull, fockler,thomas,galloway,abbauhl .They are graduating Stewart, harlin, clark, ferguson. Unfortunately it will be down for years to come.They do have a good youth program going on there now though.

They sill have Stewart Shaw Akers Harlen Ferguson most of them will get to state

Yes they still have them but just because your on the Mustangs team doesn't mean you make it to state anymore. Those days have past.