Cincy Teams - Best Chance at a State Title?

Cincy_Futbol

Still 8 teams from Cincy alive in tournament play. Who do you believe has the best chance of playing in and winning a state title game?

D1
Moeller, St. X, Elder, Milford, Lakota East

D2
Wyoming

D3
Mariemont, Seven Hills

Medina has beaten St. Ignatius the last two years in semifinals. Ignatius beat Medina 3-2 in (I think) overtime, rallying from 2-0 down, back in 2016 on the way to their third consecutive state title.

I'm going to go with D3 as the best chance for Cinci to win a state title this year based on the Ignatius/Medina combo in D1 and the presence of Bay in D2.

I think Moeller has the best shot out of all the D1 teams left if they can get past Olentangy Liberty in the state semifinals.

With only one D2 team remaining I think it’s hard to bet on Cincy having a representative but do think they have the fire power to make it. State title over Bay? Not if Bay is as good as what people say.

Whoever makes it out of the regional final from seven Hills and Mariemont will probably play in a state final against Ottowa Hills. That’s another uphill battle for Cincinnati.

No love for any D1 cincy teams? I think Moeller will make it back to the state finals this year and give whoever they play a good game, should be an exciting last 2 weeks.

Moeller has battled St. X in tough, tight games twice this year with round 3 looming.... Iggy hung 7 on St. X at the beginning of the season.

Moeller has battled St. X in tough, tight games twice this year with round 3 looming.... Iggy hung 7 on St. X at the beginning of the season.
Didn't Olentangy beat Mason 5-1. It is soccer so you never know but it appears that Cincy/SW teams would be a longshot to win a state tittle.

Moeller beat St. Francis de Sales 4-1 this year while Iggy played them and won 1-0. Seems to go both ways and I think Moeller's defense will keep them in any game. Hopefully we get some good ones.

St. X won't get by Moeller. They have no one dynamic enough to get by their Defense, and other than number 3 in the middle of the field, they are pretty average.

1. Wyoming. Allowed only 5 goals in the regular season and 1 to this point in the postseason. Knocked off Summit team that had won four consecutive state titles. Carroll is up in D1. DeSales has moved up. Traditional powerhouses like CVCA and Bay lost last night. Biggest issue I see is that they've never been to state before, but looking at the D2 field, I'm not seeing much state experience. I think Columbus Academy won a state title (maybe a state runner-up) maybe a generation ago. Not seeing recent familiar names.

2. Seven Hills. Have been dominating since return of star sophomore central midfielder. Very athletic and skilled team. Face undefeated Botkins team in regional semi that has never been this far. Rumblings are that the Wellington School are a potential semifinal juggernaut, and Ottawa Hills who has won it before (only team remaining in D3 field to have won a state championship) could be looming in the state final.

3. Moeller/Lakota East. I haven't seen many D1 teams over the years. D1 is always super-competitive. Winner will face a tough Columbus opponent in the state semifinal and then a likely epic opponent in the final with goliaths like St. Ignatius and Medina left in the other half of the field. Moeller may have the edge here, having been to last year's state final, but they've been living dangerously with an OT win over Mason and needing PKs to dispose of St. Xavier.

4. Milford. Incredible run for this team that now places them against St. Ignatius in the regional final. Then probably Medina. If they can make it through the gauntlet to the D1 state championship game, I may have to put them at #1 on this list...even if four Cincinnati team remain.

This very well could be Cincinnati's most successful boys state championship year. I'll have to see how often, if ever, two Cincinnati teams have won state titles.

1. Wyoming. Allowed only 5 goals in the regular season and 1 to this point in the postseason. Knocked off Summit team that had won four consecutive state titles. Carroll is up in D1. DeSales has moved up. Traditional powerhouses like CVCA and Bay lost last night. Biggest issue I see is that they've never been to state before, but looking at the D2 field, I'm not seeing much state experience. I think Columbus Academy won a state title (maybe a state runner-up) maybe a generation ago. Not seeing recent familiar names.

2. Seven Hills. Have been dominating since return of star sophomore central midfielder. Very athletic and skilled team. Face undefeated Botkins team in regional semi that has never been this far. Rumblings are that the Wellington School are a potential semifinal juggernaut, and Ottawa Hills who has won it before (only team remaining in D3 field to have won a state championship) could be looming in the state final.

3. Moeller/Lakota East. I haven't seen many D1 teams over the years. D1 is always super-competitive. Winner will face a tough Columbus opponent in the state semifinal and then a likely epic opponent in the final with goliaths like St. Ignatius and Medina left in the other half of the field. Moeller may have the edge here, having been to last year's state final, but they've been living dangerously with an OT win over Mason and needing PKs to dispose of St. Xavier.

4. Milford. Incredible run for this team that now places them against St. Ignatius in the regional final. Then probably Medina. If they can make it through the gauntlet to the D1 state championship game, I may have to put them at #1 on this list...even if four Cincinnati team remain.

This very well could be Cincinnati's most successful boys state championship year. I'll have to see how often, if ever, two Cincinnati teams have won state titles.

Great insight. Wyoming and Moeller are the two teams I believe can do it if any. However, I would bet Cincinnati does not have a team bring back a title this year (no SCD!)

Wyoming coach is a great motivator, I don't see him letting a lack of experience prevent them from a state win. I do think they will bring home the title.

Moeller's coach post game interviews put all the blame for those Mason and St. Xavier postseason games on the weather though (his twitter is quick to take the focus off those games and direct you to just how many times Moeller has beaten Mason and St. Xavier in the past 5 and 6 games this season and last instead). They tied Lakota East in the regular season (not sure if that was in dry weather :ROFLMAO: ) but I think they take that game tomorrow and will find themselves playing in the state final again, not as confident they bring the title home though, but this year is the year to do it because they will graduate a lot of talent.

Wyoming coach is a great motivator, I don't see him letting a lack of experience prevent them from a state win. I do think they will bring home the title.

Moeller's coach post game interviews put all the blame for those Mason and St. Xavier postseason games on the weather though (his twitter is quick to take the focus off those games and direct you to just how many times Moeller has beaten Mason and St. Xavier in the past 5 and 6 games this season and last instead). They tied Lakota East in the regular season (not sure if that was in dry weather :ROFLMAO: ) but I think they take that game tomorrow and will find themselves playing in the state final again, not as confident they bring the title home though, but this year is the year to do it because they will graduate a lot of talent.
Hmm... I thought Moeller's coach was saying that the soccer would have been better on both sides because all the teams had great players (not blaming a close game on the weather). I think the twitter is a great way to show how much the program has grown in the last couple years, I don't think that it takes any focus off of the team or the games played either. Moeller has transformed into a powerhouse program now so showing that you are proud of your program doesn't seem all that bad to me. That being said, Moeller v East will be a great showdown. Both teams are playing at their highest levels and it will be awesome to see both teams give their best on Saturday.

Hmm... I thought Moeller's coach was saying that the soccer would have been better on both sides because all the teams had great players (not blaming a close game on the weather). I think the twitter is a great way to show how much the program has grown in the last couple years, I don't think that it takes any focus off of the team or the games played either. Moeller has transformed into a powerhouse program now so showing that you are proud of your program doesn't seem all that bad to me. That being said, Moeller v East will be a great showdown. Both teams are playing at their highest levels and it will be awesome to see both teams give their best on Saturday.

I have nothing but respect for the program Moeller soccer has risen to and the product they put on the field, the coach's tweets rub me the wrong way sometimes, as a Moe fan, that's all I'm saying. He absolutely deserves to be proud of the powerhouse he's built from the ground up, no argument there at all. The game was every bit as good as expected, hats off all around.

Unlucky for Wyoming, Tipp scored twice on their signature long throw. Game plan for Tipp is to put the ball in the box against the run of play whether that be corners or throw ins and get it into the back of net by any means necessary. Tipp is very tall and their game plan has proved successful and I see them winning state with this game plan.

Unlucky for Wyoming, Tipp scored twice on their signature long throw. Game plan for Tipp is to put the ball in the box against the run of play whether that be corners or throw ins and get it into the back of net by any means necessary. Tipp is very tall and their game plan has proved successful and I see them winning state with this game plan.

College teams have won national championships this way, too. It might be ugly, but so what?

Not sure what you mean... I said the plan was successful and they will most likely win state. Just a tough way for Wyoming to go out.

I didn't mean anything and thought your assessment was right. I was piggybacking off your post. My "so what" was rhetorical, not directed at you.

Tipp certainly utilizes long throws and corners to the best of their ability. Both teams utilized a lot of long balls mostly out of necessity since the ref was allowing players to get mugged on both sides. Video shows Wyoming clearly offsides on one goal and the penalty kick awarded to them was pretty weak considering what the ref was allowing the entire game. Tipp usually plays much more possession but adjusted to account for how the game was being officiated. Wyoming played a great game as well. My hat's off to them. I just don't believe in "luck" or "unlucky". Tipp did what they had to do to move on.

I will concur with the above assessment. As an impartial observer...it was amazing at what was allowed on the field by the officiating crew. At times it more resembled hockey than soccer. Too bad....as both teams were skilled and talented. An early stoppage of the "over" physical play by the refs with foul calls and yellows would have gone a long way in making it more of a soccer match, When the refs allowed the grabbing and shoving to go unpunished ....it only caused it to elevate. Frankly my hats off to the teams for keeping their composure...for the most part.

Tipp certainly utilizes long throws and corners to the best of their ability. Both teams utilized a lot of long balls mostly out of necessity since the ref was allowing players to get mugged on both sides. Video shows Wyoming clearly offsides on one goal and the penalty kick awarded to them was pretty weak considering what the ref was allowing the entire game. Tipp usually plays much more possession but adjusted to account for how the game was being officiated. Wyoming played a great game as well. My hat's off to them. I just don't believe in "luck" or "unlucky". Tipp did what they had to do to move on.

I didn’t see the foul in the box or the game but did see the two goals from the videos below. Neither looked offside from this angle.

As for teams advancing with a long throw, like it or not it’s a part of high school soccer. Until they start playing these bigger games on wider fields teams will be rewarded for their throws unless other teams find a way to defend it.