Cincinnati transfers(to and from)

Kurt Rambis

What's the new landscape look like this winter?

I bring this topic up because I just heard this morning that 3 players from the southern buckeye conference(???) have transfereed to CovCath?
That's one of the oddest transfers I've ever heard of.

Deer Park guys have declared they are leaving for prep schools.

Who's new in?

Who's new out?

The Deer Park Elite fans are very quiet about the transfers and new annual recruits....not sure what that means? The two brothers from New Richmond went to Cov Cath but not sure who the other Southern Buckeye player is.

The Deer Park Elite fans are very quiet about the transfers and new annual recruits....not sure what that means? The two brothers from New Richmond went to Cov Cath but not sure who the other Southern Buckeye player is.
Skyler Schmidt . . . also playing football at Cov Cath and already received a D1 offer for football.

So, with the decent number of guys LEAVING for "prep schools" (turpin, mcnick, deer park, WW, off the top of my head) is it egg on their face if ohio has a full season?
Is that why they're leaving?

Deer Park was amazing in D2 last year. Those kids can't all be from DP. Isn't it just a smaller suburb?

The overwhelming majority of their good players were recruited into the program over the past several years. They are historically a bad sports school.

So, with the decent number of guys LEAVING for "prep schools" (turpin, mcnick, deer park, WW, off the top of my head) is it egg on their face if ohio has a full season?
Is that why they're leaving?
It's all about exposure and opportunity . . . a kid from WW or McNick will have a much better chance to get interest from D1, D2 and D3 at a prep school bc of events the team plays in and the contacts that the coaches have. No college coach is coming to watch McNick play but a college coach will go to a Phenom Hoops event in NC bc he will be able to watch 5 games in a day. In addition to that, the prep schools have already been doing open gyms for the last month and streaming games for college coaches. If a kid really wants to play in college his odds go way up by picking a good prep school.

What's the new landscape look like this winter?

I bring this topic up because I just heard this morning that 3 players from the southern buckeye conference(???) have transfereed to CovCath?
That's one of the oddest transfers I've ever heard of.

Deer Park guys have declared they are leaving for prep schools.

Who's new in?

Who's new out?
Wow I’m hearing 4 kids from Georgia to Deerpark this is insane smh...

Nothing they do really surprises me anymore. Maybe that's why they went down south to that Christmas tournament last year so that they could do some more recruiting? Gentry is quite the snake oil salesman. What is really sad is to think how clueless those parents must be to believe that moving their kid to a D3 program in Deer Park, Ohio is the right thing to do. Suckers born every minute.

He knows that he can't out coach anybody so he has to recruit, and have, the best talent. I wonder they will register these kids as "homeless" like many of the others he's had. Hard to believe that 4 families will move up here from Georgia.

Last edited:
He knows that he can't out coach anybody so he has to recruit, and have, the best talent. I wonder they will register these kids as "homeless" like many of the others he's had. Hard to believe that 4 families will move up here from Georgia.

I have to play devils advocate here only for the fact that we have never seen him do it we ASSume he cant out coach anybody. Now let me preface by saying I dont know Gentry, and I know nothing about Deer Park and who they have or dont have. All I know is what is said here. So in that sense I will concede that Gentry Recruits/Cheats, whatever and thats how he wins! But what is it about him that says he cant coach? Lets compare apples to apples.. If he were at Wyoming and had the same players that were there for the last 8 years or so, would he have not had similar results? I would tend to say yes because Wyoming historically has had better players in a below average league. So because Coach Edmonds was successful with "Wyoming Kids" he is a good Coach? What about Rooks, is he a Good Coach? He can win with "Wyoming Kids" But not "Lakota Kids". One could say that if you are 34-69 in four years you are not a good coach?

Again I dont know if he is or isnt a good Coach, but just because you have superior talent, that doesnt qualify or disqualify that you are a Good or Bad Coach? And the same for inferior talent. I honestly would just like to know what makes him a bad Coach? Or is possible that he's a decent coach and maybe a Bad Guy?

They are moving to Deer Park for the academics. (Where have we heard that before?)

It really be some butthurt people on here
Always the word (butthurt) that people with no facts or intellect (especially combined with poor grammar) use to describe things that they don’t understand. Pretty much the downfall of any debate. Congrats Vike.

I have to play devils advocate here only for the fact that we have never seen him do it we ASSume he cant out coach anybody. Now let me preface by saying I dont know Gentry, and I know nothing about Deer Park and who they have or dont have. All I know is what is said here. So in that sense I will concede that Gentry Recruits/Cheats, whatever and thats how he wins! But what is it about him that says he cant coach? Lets compare apples to apples.. If he were at Wyoming and had the same players that were there for the last 8 years or so, would he have not had similar results? I would tend to say yes because Wyoming historically has had better players in a below average league. So because Coach Edmonds was successful with "Wyoming Kids" he is a good Coach? What about Rooks, is he a Good Coach? He can win with "Wyoming Kids" But not "Lakota Kids". One could say that if you are 34-69 in four years you are not a good coach?

Again I dont know if he is or isnt a good Coach, but just because you have superior talent, that doesnt qualify or disqualify that you are a Good or Bad Coach? And the same for inferior talent. I honestly would just like to know what makes him a bad Coach? Or is possible that he's a decent coach and maybe a Bad Guy?

You make some good, and fair points. I think we would all agree that you need talent to win, and the programs that get the talent obviously tend to do better, so the coaching at those programs is less important. Some programs do a great job developing their talent, or lack of talent, but Deer Park Elite hasn't had a lack of talent yet (under Gentry) so we don't know. I think it's fair to say that some of us on here (myself included) probably don't give Gentry the benefit of the doubt, so that isn't fair. It's like some people say Phil Jackson wasn't a great coach because he had Jordan, Pippen etc. Sometimes its just hard to see past the fact that all they do is bring in new players every year. As far as his actual game coaching, all I've really seen that team do is apply full court pressure (good coaching, that's what I would do if I had his roster - although that's not rocket science) and dribble drive offense. It's pretty much throw up a three or drive to the hoop and get fouled. When you have a team full of D1 talent competing against D3 teams you can get away with a lot so I guess until we see him do well with a less talented roster its easy to second guess him.

Last edited:
You make some good, and fair points. I think we would all agree that you need talent to win, and the programs that get the talent obviously tend to do better, so the coaching at those programs is less important. Some programs do a great job developing their talent, or lack of talent, but Deer Park Elite hasn't had a lack of talent yet (under Gentry) so we don't know. I think it's fair to say that some of us on here (myself included) probably don't give Gentry the benefit of the doubt, so that isn't fair. It's like some people say Phil Jackson wasn't a great coach because he had Jordan, Pippen etc. Sometimes its just hard to see past the fact that all they do is bring in new players every year. As far as his actual game coaching, all I've really seen that team do is apply full court pressure (good coaching, that's what I would do if I had his roster - although that's not rocket science) and dribble drive offense. It's pretty much throw up a three or drive to the hoop and get fouled. When you have a team full of D1 talent competing against D3 teams you can get away with a lot of so I guess until we see him do well with a less talented roster its easy to second guess him.

I think the bigger issue is the fact that this is a neighborhood league, which makes it a special league. Smaller communities and their schools and teams with their kids. When you import players, it becomes a farce. I realize Wyoming and Indian and Taylor are the 3 biggest schools, but they're still communities. The other 5 schools are the same, but smaller. There's certain angst against certain schools for their poor behavior when they're winning(when they SHOULD be). But importing players to dominate against the likes Madeira, Mariemont, Reading and Finneytown is shame. Walnut Hills did it for years in the ECC, another "neighborhood" league.
That's the beef. Just play with your own kids. It's special when you have success, whatever each school determines success to be. Otherwise, it means nothing, and no one respects you

I wonder what's in it for those athletes to transfer to Deer friggin Park. Sure, if you're OJ Mayo and Bill Walker, beating Lockland and Seven Hills by 50 isn't going to raise your profile, but McDonalds All-Americans will play in exposure events and high profile out of state games regardless of where they play. But the Deer Park recruits?

I think the bigger issue is the fact that this is a neighborhood league, which makes it a special league. Smaller communities and their schools and teams with their kids. When you import players, it becomes a farce. I realize Wyoming and Indian and Taylor are the 3 biggest schools, but they're still communities. The other 5 schools are the same, but smaller. There's certain angst against certain schools for their poor behavior when they're winning(when they SHOULD be). But importing players to dominate against the likes Madeira, Mariemont, Reading and Finneytown is shame. Walnut Hills did it for years in the ECC, another "neighborhood" league.
That's the beef. Just play with your own kids. It's special when you have success, whatever each school determines success to be. Otherwise, it means nothing, and no one respects you

my biggest argument to what was said is Wymoing is playing against d2 schools which is loaded with DCL, Cincinnati public schools, Alters, Chaminades. That is a little different then Deer Park playing against the small rural public schools.

Deer Park is doing it against schools that "for the most part" are home grown. D1/D2 they all do that. You have mostly privates or bigger city schools where it is common from kids go place to place.

Just my two cents

We keep talking about Deer Park cheating and recruiting. No one has come up with any legit answers to this question. And if it's cheating what are they doing to cheat. Reason or FACTS 1)Recruiting is the process of actively seeking out and hiring candidates for a specific position or job. So far no evidence of coach Gentry talking to kids or parents that we know of. Indian Hill has several new faces on their football team and basketball team. Wyoming's point guard came from Moeller and no one said a word. Did they recruit him to come to Wyoming or did he choose to go there and move in there district? 2) Cheating.. I do believe they have been investigated each year he's been there according to what I read. And each year they find nothing. So under whose rule are we going by. A blogger or OHSAA. Now if you say it's not fair for DP to keep getting kids in to help compete with the bigger schools in the league then say that. Who doesn't want to see a competitive league or do you want to see just 2 schools every year winning the league like Wyoming and IH.. Then they go on to do nothing in the postseason when they play schools there the same size as them. (Talking about the number of boys in their school).
my biggest argument to what was said is Wymoing is playing against d2 schools which is loaded with DCL, Cincinnati public schools, Alters, Chaminades. That is a little different then Deer Park playing against the small rural public schools.

Deer Park is doing it against schools that "for the most part" are home grown. D1/D2 they all do that. You have mostly privates or bigger city schools where it is common from kids go place to place.

Just my two cents
Can someone find out and post the number of boys in each school 7th-12th this may help with some of these post.

I keep seeing people say small communities with their kids. How many kids stay in their community there whole life. People move for whatever reason how do you stop that from happening. And I'm lost if a kid moves into your community are they not apart of your community now. Don't they become your kids at that point? Or are they not your kids. Then the word dominates. If you dominate it should be the whole league, not just a few. If I recall DP only won the league 1 time since Gentry been there. So where is this domination because I don't see it? Now if you say the new kids help them to compete against the other teams in the league I would say yes. To me, it evens out the playing field. But for most of yall yall just want to see Wyoming and IH win it every year. JUST SAY THAT...