Cincinnati Public Schools

cjb56

Just curious, and I'm sure some of the Cincy area folks know the answer, but what is the best route to a great public HS education if you live within the actual bounds of the city of Cincinnati? Is it difficult to qualify for Walnut Hills? Do districts like Madeira, Mariemont, Indian Hills, etc., accept open enrollment kids?

Best route for a Great public school education inside City of Cincinnati Limits is Parochial Grade School then WH possibly SCPA depending on the students talents.

Best route for a Great public school education inside City of Cincinnati Limits is Parochial Grade School then WH possibly SCPA depending on the students talents.
I see. So the K-8 options within are not desirable? Your suggestion is actually an affordable route for many. It’s not until HS where a Catholic school education gets excessively high priced.

Does the Walnut Hills education compare to the top suburban publics?

I see. So the K-8 options within are not desirable? Your suggestion is actually an affordable route for many. It’s not until HS where a Catholic school education gets excessively high priced.

Does the Walnut Hills education compare to the top suburban publics?

Absolutely nothing wrong with a WH education. The top suburban schools offer just as good of an education in my mind but may not be top notch in sports or other extra curriculars. I don’t know a whole lot about CPS K-8. I think CPS also has some Schools that are 7th-12th.

There are a number of viable options...Kilgour, Hyde Park, and all of the Montessori programs offer a great education. Kids coming from these programs often attend Walnut, SPCA or Clark.

Just curious, and I'm sure some of the Cincy area folks know the answer, but what is the best route to a great public HS education if you live within the actual bounds of the city of Cincinnati? Is it difficult to qualify for Walnut Hills? Do districts like Madeira, Mariemont, Indian Hills, etc., accept open enrollment kids?
The districts in your second question are not open enrollment. There are tons of reason for that, but that’s for another thread. Your cheapest and less time-consuming bet, would be to move out of the CPS boundaries. If that’s not possible, test into Walnut or Clark. Another alternative, is to see if your family qualifies for Ed-choice voucher for parochial schools. Lastly, I believe Winton Woods and Fairfield are Open-Enrollment, you may have to provide your own transportation.

The best path to a good HS education is a K-8 education: https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/ForgottenMiddleSummary.pdf