Cincinnati Mileage

All of this conference switching has gotten out of hand the past 5 or so years. It's stupid quite frankly. With the playoffs in football being so expanded, it's time to move to districts/regions for scheduling football. Put 8 teams in a district/region, you have to play the 7 other teams in your district, and that will leave 3 games to fill as you please. Or you can make the number of teams higher, it doesn't matter. This way we have no more conference shakeups every year, we don't have conferences gaming the system. And every 2 or 3 years, we re-align the districts to make sure everyone is competitive with one another. For instance we could put Elder, X, Moe, Lakota West, Lakota East, Princeton, Mason, and Fairfield in a district. They all have to play each other. And after 2 years, let's say Fairfield is not competitive, but would be competitive in another district and that other district has a team that is waxing the floor with everyone, those two teams switch districts the next year.

Then you take a predetermined number of teams from each district to the playoffs. It really seems like a no-brainer to me and quite a simple thing for OHSAA to do. With football being the only sport where every team doesn't make the post season tournament, this would have literally zero impact on any other sport.

I predict Mt. Healthy and Northwest to the CMAC and Harrison and Talawanda to ECC.

I think the GMC is good where they are at with 10 teams all playing each other for a true GMC title. Why would they want to add a team that is Division 2 to form an uneven 11 teams.

ECC fits well for Harrison and Talawanda both being Division 2 teams. They will need to split it up into 2 divisions of 6.

Mt. Healthy and Northwest to CMAC works with Mt. Healthy and Northwest both being Division 3. Woodward, Aiken, Hugues are both D3. West Hi still D1, Withrow D2, Taft D5.

GCL
St. Xavier 10-3
Elder 6-6
Moeller 11-4
Lasalle 7-5

GMC
Lakota West 11-2
Princeton 11-2
Lakota East 7-4
Fairfield 6-5
Colerain 5-6
Sycamore 4-7
Mason 4-7
Hamilton 2-7
Middletown 1-8
Oak Hills 0-11

ECC
Kings 11-1
Anderson 9-3
Winton Woods 13-3
Milford 7-5
Turpin 6-5
Lebanon 3-7
Little Miami 4-7
Loveland 2-8
West Clermont 2-9
Walnut Hills 2-9

Southwest Ohio Buckeye
EAST: Bellbrook, Monroe, Waynesville, Franklin, Oakwood
WEST: Eaton, Brookville, Valley View, Carlisle, Middletown Madison
ADD: Edgewood, Ross

SWOC
Harrison 4-6
Mt. Healthy 6-5
Talawanda 2-7
Northwest 3-7
REMOVE: Edgewood, Ross

Southern Buckey Sports League
American: Clinton Massie 14-1, Western Brown 11-3, New Richmond 4-5, Wilmington 3-7, Goshen 1-9, Batavia 1-8
National: Bethel-Tate 9-2, Blanchester 5-5, Williamsburg 7-4, East Clinton 5-6, Fayetteville 5-6, Clermont Northeast 2-7

GCL Co-Ed
Badin 14-1
McNicholas 11-2
Alter 6-6
Chaminade Julienne 4-6
Fenwick 3-6
Carroll 1-8

CMAC
Conf. 1: Taft 9-2, Withrow 9-1, Hughes 6-1, Aiken 3-5, Woodward 2-7, West Hi 1-6
Conf. 2: Cincinnati College Prep 8-2, Gamble Montessori 6-2, Shroder 4-3, Dayton Christian 2-8, Hillcrest 0-8

CHL
Wyoming 12-1
Reading 7-3
Indian Hill 5-5
Mariemont 8-4
Taylor 5-5
Deer Park 4-8
Madeira 4-7
Finneytown 2-7

MVC
Scarlet: Roger Bacon 9-3, Purcell Marian 7-4, Summit Country Day 4-5, North College Hill 2-4, Norwood 2-8, CHCA 1-8
Gray: Cincinnati Country Day 7-3, Lockland 4-4, St. Bernard 3-6, Clark Montessori 1-6, New Miami 2-7, Miami Valley Christian 3-8

I predict Mt. Healthy and Northwest to the CMAC and Harrison and Talawanda to ECC.

I think the GMC is good where they are at with 10 teams all playing each other for a true GMC title. Why would they want to add a team that is Division 2 to form an uneven 11 teams.

ECC fits well for Harrison and Talawanda both being Division 2 teams. They will need to split it up into 2 divisions of 6.

Mt. Healthy and Northwest to CMAC works with Mt. Healthy and Northwest both being Division 3. Woodward, Aiken, Hugues are both D3. West Hi still D1, Withrow D2, Taft D5.

The ECC just decided on a nine-game schedule for its 10-team league. I don't think there is interest there in blowing that up through expansion for two schools that are at least an entire county away.

Talawanda & Harrison would be a really long distance for those ECC schools, but would fit athletically.

I'd be interested to see if Harrison would join GMC, they most likely will be D1 in the foreseeable future with all the building that's occurring out there. And not to stir the pot too much, but that could leave Colerain as an odd man out as they may very well be D2 in the future.

The ECC just decided on a nine-game schedule for its 10-team league. I don't think there is interest there in blowing that up through expansion for two schools that are at least an entire county away.

Maybe right. They can still do a 9 game league schedule, just not all teams would be able to play each other.

Talawanda & Harrison would be a really long distance for those ECC schools, but would fit athletically.

I'd be interested to see if Harrison would join GMC, they most likely will be D1 in the foreseeable future with all the building that's occurring out there. And not to stir the pot too much, but that could leave Colerain as an odd man out as they may very well be D2 in the future.

Yeah, you are right. I'm surprised Edgewood and Ross screwed them over like that.

Harrison to GMC might be best option for Harrison unless they can get Oak Hills and maybe Hamilton out of GMC and maybe Winton Woods and Walnut Hill out of ECC.

New League?
Harrison
Hamilton
Oak Hills
Winton Woods
Walnut Hills
Talawanda
Mt. Healthy
Northwest

Harrison to GMC might be best option for Harrison unless they can get Oak Hills and maybe Hamilton out of GMC and maybe Winton Woods and Walnut Hill out of ECC.

New League?
Harrison
Hamilton
Oak Hills
Winton Woods
Walnut Hills
Talawanda
Mt. Healthy
Northwest
I like this league. I still think Colerain fits this type of conference. The football decline is going to continue. They don't compete well in much else in the GMC. Their enrollment will also continue to shrink.

Yes, but Oak Hills does just fine as a whole athletically. There is no reason for Oak Hills to bail on the GMC.

Baseball and Basketball compete, but Football has not ever in GMC. Elder and Lasalle seem to have a monopoly on westside football. Oak Hills has some good individuals, but not enough overall to compete in GMC. Delhi falling apart doesn't help them at all either.

Baseball and Basketball compete, but Football has not ever in GMC. Elder and Lasalle seem to have a monopoly on westside football. Oak Hills has some good individuals, but not enough overall to compete in GMC. Delhi falling apart doesn't help them at all either.
Sure, Delhi foundering is an issue. But the school still competes well in most sports, even beyond baseball and basketball. I think Middletown and Hamilton probably have these issues more than Oak Hills.

New League?
Harrison
Hamilton
Oak Hills
Winton Woods
Walnut Hills
Talawanda
Mt. Healthy
Northwest
Walnut and winton woods will not leave ECC. Its one of the better conferences especially considering the overall competition in all sports

While I think Northwest's likely destination is the CMAC, the only thing it should join is Colerain High School.
The buildings at Colerain (1964) and Northwest (1972) are both very old, and the district is already conducting studies to replace them. It only makes sense to consolidate and build one new high school, a la West Clermont. Whether NWLSD will actually consolidate is anyone's guess, but it's a no-brainer IMO.

The buildings at Colerain (1964) and Northwest (1972) are both very old, and the district is already conducting studies to replace them. It only makes sense to consolidate and build one new high school, a la West Clermont. Whether NWLSD will actually consolidate is anyone's guess, but it's a no-brainer IMO.
Sadly, NWLSD leadership is dumb enough to screw up a no brainer decision.

If Colerain a(1964) and Northwest (1972) are both very old? What does that make Elder (1922)?

The SWOC and ECC were both formed out of the FAVC. The FAVC broke up because some schools such as Anderson, Turpin, Harrison, and Talawanda didn't want the long drive to the other schools. According to Google Anderson to Talawanda is 55 miles. Anderson to Harrison is 34. Those are some long drives for a Tuesday night tennis match.

New League?
Harrison
Hamilton
Oak Hills
Winton Woods
Walnut Hills
Talawanda
Mt. Healthy
Northwest
Hamilton as Taft and Garfield back in the day are original GMC Members. I don’t see them leaving the GMC.

I had heard through the grapevine that Oak Hills had approached and inquired about SWOC not too terribly long ago. Maybe they aren't happy? Maybe more shuffling to come and yet another new conference????

I had heard through the grapevine that Oak Hills had approached and inquired about SWOC not too terribly long ago. Maybe they aren't happy? Maybe more shuffling to come and yet another new conference????

For football, it makes a lot of sense. The GMC is brutal for them in football. In another league, that team last year could have been 6-4, 7-3. Winning no matter who you are beating helps the culture in that school, and then you get some excitement behind the team. Kids want to be a part of that. A standout basketball or baseball player might be more willing to risk injury in football for a winning team vs. a team they know is going 1-9 every year in the GMC. Look at the top 25 Cincinnati recruits for class of 2023, 2024. Tons of GMC kids on that list. It's a tough league to compete in for a public school that is not open enrollment that also sits pretty close to Elder and Lasalle.

Maybe with Indian Hill hiring Rody, they will step up to the challenge of scheduling GCL schools. They’re small and would get destroyed, but it’s local.

Rodenburg did step up and schedule a home and home with Elder while at Roncalli. But Indiana everyone makes the playoffs.

In Ohio D1 with 16 out of 18 going to the playoffs that is 88.89% chance of making the playoffs. D2-D7 You have 25-28 teams per region and about a 61.54% chance of making it. I would love a home and home with Indian Hill, but I don't seem them playing X, Moeller, or Elder. LaSalle being D2 and Rodenbur's school, they have the best shot of a game.

Rodenburg did step up and schedule a home and home with Elder while at Roncalli. But Indiana everyone makes the playoffs.

In Ohio D1 with 16 out of 18 going to the playoffs that is 88.89% chance of making the playoffs. D2-D7 You have 25-28 teams per region and about a 61.54% chance of making it. I would love a home and home with Indian Hill, but I don't seem them playing X, Moeller, or Elder. LaSalle being D2 and Rodenbur's school, they have the best shot of a game.
The Roncalli program is light years ahead of Indian Hill. And they're good enough to compete with the GCL, as evidence by them beating Elder this past season. I don't know that he really "stepped up" - he knew he had the better team.

Now if he plays a GCL team while at Indian Hill, I would consider that "stepping up", but I doubt that ever happens.

The Roncalli program is light years ahead of Indian Hill. And they're good enough to compete with the GCL, as evidence by them beating Elder this past season. I don't know that he really "stepped up" - he knew he had the better team.

Now if he plays a GCL team while at Indian Hill, I would consider that "stepping up", but I doubt that ever happens.
He has to first stop the bleeding, losing a good number of their stud kids to bigger programs. If he can develop a culture their and minimize the talent leaving he may consider stepping up to the task as a barometer. I think that's a good 4 to 5 years off though.

Last edited: