Cincinnati High School Season

From my limited information, I'd probably put Lakota East above Beavercreek, but there's no doubt those are the top two teams on paper.

Yeah, Creek is always very solid, but Mikesch carried them in matches with good teams when I saw them play the past two years - and he's gone now. I expect Beavercreek to be able to fill in with more solid players, but you can't replace Parker. Creek has a solid program with a ton of kids playing volleyball top to bottom (down to 6th grade at least) - so they'll be fine in the long run.

Lakota East just seems loaded because so many of their contributors were juniors last season, so I give them the #1 spot. After this season, they probably drop below Creek again though.

What do the underclassmen look like..? Any sophomores on varsity? Frosh On JV?

Per Elder Site

2019 Varsity Volleyball Team

Seniors
Spencer Bernard
Matt Comrata
Sam Hargett
Brady Murphy
Joey Singler
Michael Waligman

Juniors
Joe Beiter
Ray Britton
Jake Byrne
Bailey Dugan
Robby Englehart
Jarred Koewler
Andrew Schmutte
Jackson Sinnard
Logan Shook

What do the underclassmen look like..? Any sophomores on varsity? Frosh On JV?

Copy/Pasting from the Elder volleyball thread on the Elder forum:

Junior Varsity A
Sophomores
Ben Albers
Luke Gavin
Kyle Geisen
Jackson Kehling
Kyle Kramer
Luke Link
Mitch Meyer
Matt Smith
Drew Weisman

Freshmen
Joey Bianco
Drew Maune
Andrew Zimmer

Junior Varsity B
Sophomores
Max Caminiti
Xavier Hicks
Issac Hofmeyer
Jake Vollmer

Freshman
Will Busken
David Gruen
Kyle Long
Zane Klusman
David Mauer
Josh Pille
Sam Schwallie
Mitchell Trotta
Adian Wienkamp

Moeller Varsity:

DS 5'7" #2 • JARED DURGIN • JUNIOR
OH/RH 6'1" #4 • NATE FARWICK • SENIOR
OH 5'9" #6 • LUKE FULLER • JUNIOR
L/OH 5'10" #7 • HUNTER HAAS • JUNIOR
S 6'1" #8 • BRAYDEN VAUGHAN • JUNIOR
MH 6'5" #9 • BEN KISER • SENIOR
MH 6'4" #10 • ALEC BOWLES • JUNIOR
S 6'1" #11 • TREVOR SHEETS • SENIOR
OH 6'0" #12 • COLE TRAGESSER • JUNIOR
OH/RH 6'1" #14 • RYAN REYNOLDS • JUNIOR
OH 5'11" #15 • MAV OWENS • SENIOR
L/RH 5'10" #16 • JACOB CALLAHAN • SENIOR
S 6'3" #18 • JJ BECKELHIMER • SOPHOMORE
MH 6'0" #20 • DOBRY SHAW • JUNIOR

Last edited:
Moeller

S - Beckelheimer (CVA 18-1)
OH1 - Fuller (Attack 17-1)
OH2 - Haas (CVA 18-1) or Farwick (Attack 18-2)
OPP - ? (Haas (CVA 18-1) or Farwick (Attack 18-2))
MH1 - Kiser (CVA 18-1)
MH2 - ?
L - Stradley (Attack 17-1)

My Guess:

S - Beckelheimer (CVA 18-1)
OH1 - Fuller (Attack 17-1)
OH2 - Haas (CVA 18-1)
OPP - Farwick (Attack 18-2)
MH1 - Kiser (CVA 18-1)
MH2 - Bowles?
L - Callahan (CVA 18-1)

If another Pin Hitter steps up, Haas goes to L and Callahan to DS like last year.

Here is the roster for St. X:

MH - Brian Mauch SR
MH - Tommy Thaxton SR
MH/OPP - Justin Glover JR
MH/OPP - Joe Turner JR
OPP - Ben Moeller SR
OH - Will Connaughton SR
OH - Henry Kastner SO
OH - Elliot Como JR
OH/DS - Kellen Rushford JR
S - Leo Kastner SR
S - Jack Konrad JR
DS/L - Craig Dannemiller JR
DS/L - John Schroeder SO
DS/L - Jack Noelcke JR

Also, I heard Colerain is not having a team this year.

Disappointing, considering every other school in the GMC is able to field a team. That's a big enough school that it could have a decent program if someone was really invested, I think. Might not ever compete for the conference title, but *shrugs* at least they'd be playing and getting more boys the opportunity.

My New D1 South Rankings:
1- St X
2- Elder
3- Moeller
4- Mason
5- Oak Hills
6- Walnut Hills
7- Fairfield
8- Sycamore
9- Milford
10- Loveland
11- Princeton
12- West Clermont

My New D2 South Rankings:
1- LaSalle
2- Badin
3- Roger Bacon
4- Monroe
5- McNick
6- Taylor
7- Royalmont
8- Purcell Marian

My New D1 South Rankings:
1- St X
2- Elder
3- Moeller
4- Mason
5- Oak Hills
6- Walnut Hills
7- Fairfield
8- Sycamore
9- Milford
10- Loveland
11- Princeton
12- West Clermont

My New D2 South Rankings:
1- LaSalle
2- Badin
3- Roger Bacon
4- Monroe
5- McNick
6- Taylor
7- Royalmont
8- Purcell Marian

Probably should have waited to do this until after this week's GCL matches... ha!

Three tight contests last night at Elder as all three levels went the distance.

Elder won the 1st match (JVB) 25-10, 6-25, 25-16
Elder won the 2nd match (JVA) 27-29, 25-16, 25-16
Moeller won the Varsity match 14-25, 25-23, 20-25, 25-22, 15-13

Another wild night in the GCL over on North Bend Rd. Elder with the 3-level sweep:
JVB wins 2-0
JVA wins 2-1 - 3rd set was 27-25, Elder was down 24-22 in that set.
Varsity wins 20-25, 25-20, 23-25, 25-22, 15-7

Obviously Elder's go-to is Hargett but they had some solid contributions tonight from their opposites Beiter and Singler, as well as their other outside Engelhardt. Panthers rallied from an 18-15 deficit in Set 4 that included a red card late in the match against a Bomber player that gave Elder a 1-point advantage.

Last edited:
Is Mt. Vernon a DI contender or was Elder having an off day when they got swept (best of 3) @MTV?

Well for starters, yes I think MV is good enough to take the East #2 spot. I don't think they're necessarily a title contender, but they're definitely one of the best 6-7 teams in the state for D1.

Remember though, that was the first match of they year. Elder had to replace a lot of seniors - including breaking in a couple new setters.

Then again, maybe the GCL just isn't as good this year compared to most as Elder went up to Beavercreek this morning and got waxed 3-0 by the Beavers. So it's really too early for anyone to know.

Another wild night in the GCL over on North Bend Rd. Elder with the 3-level sweep:
JVB wins 2-0
JVA wins 2-1 - 3rd set was 27-25, Elder was down 24-22 in that set.
Varsity wins 20-25, 25-20, 23-25, 25-22, 15-7

Obviously Elder's go-to is Hargett but they had some solid contributions tonight from their opposites Beiter and Singler, as well as their other outside Engelhardt. Panthers rallied from an 18-15 deficit in Set 4 that included a red card late in the match against a Bomber player that gave Elder a 1-point advantage.

This game was really very close. Elder played very impressive defense and blocked well against a St. X team with big hitters. St. X was out of system most of the game but their setter fixed it well. The difference-maker was that Elder defended well while St. X did not. It will be interesting to see the outcome from St. X against Moeller. All 3 teams seem to be evenly matched.

Last edited:
My personal South Region rankings as of today would be:

D1 South
St. Xavier
Archbishop Moeller
Elder
Mason
Fairfield
Oak Hills
Walnut Hills
Milford
Sycamore
Loveland
Princeton
West Clermont

D2 South:
LaSalle
Stephen T. Badin
Roger Bacon
Archbishop McNicholas
Monroe
Purcell-Marian

Some noteworthy GMC results:
Mason beat Oak Hills last week, then lost to Lakota East yesterday. Barring an upset, East will win the GMC with Mason finishing 2nd. Fairfield beat Oak Hills last night to give them a potential top 3 finish.

The next couple weeks will be interesting for the South Region seeding:
-LaSalle plays Badin tonight which should give some insight to who gets #1 or #2 in D2.
-St X plays Elder Friday and Moeller next week - X is probably leading the way for the top seed in D1.
-Many of the high leverage GMC matches have taken place and in the south after the 3 GCL schools it appears to be #4 Mason, #5 Fairfield and #6 Oak Hills. But we can't rule out Walnut Hills and surging Loveland who is coming on strong down the stretch.

Last edited:
What would the voters do in the following scenario:
St X has defeated Moeller twice, they play again at X next week
Moeller has defeated Elder three times, twice in straight sets
Elder has defeated St X once, the two play Friday

Who has the edge if all three teams "split." If Elder beats X on Friday to sweep for the season and if X then beats Moeller for a 3rd time? Based on records I think the seeding stays the same as many probably predict right now (1-X, 2-Moe, 3-E). Not likely to happen though as X will likely beat Elder Friday night making this discussion moot.

Mason beat Oak Hills last week, then lost to Lakota East yesterday. Barring an upset, East will win the GMC with Mason finishing 2nd. Fairfield beat Oak Hills last night to give them a potential top 3 finish.

Honestly this Fairfield team has surprised me. After they lost two good passers and their main go-to hitter, I didn't think they'd re-load so fast. Props to the Indians!

Someone called it with Mason stealing one game against LE, but LE winning in 4.

Fairfield has a chance (albeit probably small) to upset LE to make it a 3-way tie for first in the GMC.

The next couple weeks will be interesting for the South Region seeding:
-LaSalle plays Badin tonight which should give some insight to who gets #1 or #2 in D2.
-St X plays Elder Friday and Moeller next week - X is probably leading the way for the top seed in D1.
-Many of the high leverage GMC matches have taken place and in the south after the 3 GCL schools it appears to be #4 Mason, #5 Fairfield and #6 Oak Hills. But we can't rule out Walnut Hills and surging Loveland who is coming on strong down the stretch.

Elder at home always gets an extra point or two from energy and atmosphere - don't count them out vs. St. X just yet. But I agree the seeding (St X 1, Moe 2, Elder 3) is likely to hold.

Walnut Hills beat Oak Hills earlier this week, so that could bump them up to #6.

Checking schedules, Loveland has matches against FF, OH and WH down the stretch which could shake things up.

Oak Hills didn't do themselves any favors this year with their schedule, but, looking at their roster, it looks like they only have 2 seniors so I think this year is going to pave the way for a very solid year next year with Mason losing 5 seniors after this year, Lakota East losing 8 and FF losing 9. Don't know why, but I always seem to find myself rooting for Oak Hills volleyball...but that's it ;)

Oak Hills didn't do themselves any favors this year with their schedule, but, looking at their roster, it looks like they only have 2 seniors so I think this year is going to pave the way for a very solid year next year with Mason losing 5 seniors after this year, Lakota East losing 8 and FF losing 9. Don't know why, but I always seem to find myself rooting for Oak Hills volleyball...but that's it ;)

Well they used to have a lot of Elder grads on staff, so i can understand an Elder fan being sympathetic to their cause. haha

They did schedule tough, which could help them a lot for next year, getting used to a high level of competition and such.

When I saw them, they were pretty reliant on the two OHs. Their middles were just kind of "there" and they played a couple different guys at OPP. Libero is a real nice player, though. I think, as you said, both OH's are Jrs, as is the Libero and the Setter. That's a decently good core.

Well they used to have a lot of Elder grads on staff, so i can understand an Elder fan being sympathetic to their cause. haha

They did schedule tough, which could help them a lot for next year, getting used to a high level of competition and such.

When I saw them, they were pretty reliant on the two OHs. Their middles were just kind of "there" and they played a couple different guys at OPP. Libero is a real nice player, though. I think, as you said, both OH's are Jrs, as is the Libero and the Setter. That's a decently good core.

I think if they keep improving the rivalry could be really fun. They get plenty of experienced volleyball players from local grade schools, so, to me, there's no reason they shouldn't be more competitive year in and year out

I think if they keep improving the rivalry could be really fun. They get plenty of experienced volleyball players from local grade schools, so, to me, there's no reason they shouldn't be more competitive year in and year out

they get some kids who play grade school, but "plenty" is a stretch. The Oak Hills youth teams lack structure and often lack the knowledgable coaching that other schools have. (from my experience)