Cincinnati D-1 Sectional

Hilliard Bradley from Columbus Region and going with St. Ed's and McKinley as other favorites. McKinley has to go through Mentor.

Interesting post on Twitter with the OHSAA rules about the Red Led lights on the backboard- they are actually supposed to be turned off at all post season play until state semi/finals games. Refs are supposed to go by the horn to determine end of play- and they did if you watch the replay.

Play happened so fast. Would’ve been a tough spot for a ref.

i saw the still shot but when i watch this video it clearly looks like the ball is gone when the horn sounds. if horn isn't synced with 0.0 and red light for some reason, then i can see how refs thought it should be good. looking at the video and going by sound of the horn, it looks like he gets it off.

just my take.

If you are St. X don't go 1-4 from FT line in the last 15 seconds of the game. Also, with under 3 seconds on the clock Lasalle should've gotten a half court shot off at best. If you are St. X, how do you let them advance the ball up the court with a pass? X should have been up the line on defense to stop any passes from being thrown up the court. Bad, bad loss for St. X.

If you are St. X don't go 1-4 from FT line in the last 15 seconds of the game. Also, with under 3 seconds on the clock Lasalle should've gotten a half court shot off at best. If you are St. X, how do you let them advance the ball up the court with a pass? X should have been up the line on defense to stop any passes from being thrown up the court. Bad, bad loss for St. X.
They were letting them take the shot- hands up, light jogs. I love the story from Dyer about how Lasalle practices this play- my daughters team did also. Good stuff

I said I don't know if Moeller can win state... I don't know enough about the teams from other parts of the state.

I was not trying to be a jerk about it. I just know that there as re excellent teams up there. We are probably on the same page.

Interesting post on Twitter with the OHSAA rules about the Red Led lights on the backboard- they are actually supposed to be turned off at all post season play until state semi/finals games. Refs are supposed to go by the horn to determine end of play- and they did if you watch the replay.
Interesting.

i saw the still shot but when i watch this video it clearly looks like the ball is gone when the horn sounds. if horn isn't synced with 0.0 and red light for some reason, then i can see how refs thought it should be good. looking at the video and going by sound of the horn, it looks like he gets it off.

just my take.
That’s what I was talking about- it WAS good, the red light has no bearing on this at all. They go solely by the horn and the shot was launched before horn sounded. That ref was really tracking the player and seemed solid about his call- he knew the rule

I was there and do not have a dog in this fight. In person, it was obvious that he did not get the ball off in time, plus the kid who passed it clearly traveled. Watch the video and you will see that he takes two full steps before putting the ball on the floor. There was zero time left on the clock and he was still holding the ball near his chest. If you were there, you would know that the buzzer was timed correctly with the clock. Zero is zero. There were three refs and three angles that should have confirmed it. Instead, the taller bald ref (who made numerous horrendous calls in the fourth quarter) ruled it as a basket without even conferring with the other officials.

No dog in this fight, but since this isn't the first "did he get it off" controversy recently (Upper Sandusky-Mansfield), I'll give my take, fwiw.

The Video above shows it wasn't an easy call, though that is a horrible camera angle to show it one way or the other.

That picture that was posted, definitely proves it was a blown call. Unlike the Upper Sandusky-Mansfield game where there was a lag between when the buzzer sounded and clock reached 0.0, this one was definitive. The backboard lights are clearly on and the clock clearly says 0.0. There is a ref that is looking right at the play (though to be fair he may have been blocked a bit by his angle). But it's clear that the ball is still at head level of the kid shooting when the buzzer would have rang. He wasn't even near his release, which even though it's still bang-bang, you would hope the refs at this level of the tournament would have their ears/eyes synched, especially when they knew a last-second shot was coming.

And actually, watching the video again. The one ref who was racing toward the baseline isn't "to blame." There was another ref behind the play that should have been able to hear the buzzer and see the shot... and looks like that one is who made the good call. ... don't get me wrong, it was blown, but it wasn't anything egregious.

You are wrong, the ball is in the air as the horn goes off. The red light on the backboard has nothing to do with this play. Look up the high school rule when you get the chance.

We are talking about hundredths of a second. It's impossible without the aid of replay to make the absolute correct call. The player did not get the ball off before the clock reached 0.0 (or light turned red), but did get the ball off before everyone could hear the horn. Light travel faster than sound. That's how close it is.

the team most likely to have given them a game was upset already

Walnut Ridge played Gahanna tough in two losses before defeating them in the Tourney. Hilliard Bradley is one of the best defensive teams in the state. With that being said, my $ would be on moe.

Last edited:
I care what his daughter's team did too.
Can't wait for the next update!!!
Ha- HER daughter. I merely thought the story by Dyer behind the shot was a cool anecdote (for those who know how to actually read) and reminded me of my daughters team and some of the crazy stuff they practiced, but yes- I will spare you all the details...

I thought that St Ed's beat Akron ST Vincent who beat Moeller so they have a chance to knock off Moeller. Moeller is beatable but that team will have to be loaded with some Jimmy's and Joe's not just a good system.
I brought up this very point on a St. Edward's thread. It was pointed out that in the Ed's game, St. V's center, and defensive presence in the middle, did not play. Still, St. Ed's played very well and is more than capable of taking down Moeller. If it gets to that point, a match up between those two tams would have the makings of a classic in Columbus!

Blaming the refs is the laziest excuse in all of sports. Such a loser mentality tbh. There’s always something you could’ve done better.
My response was to the man in the video. He was a bit dramatic. Nowhere did I blame a ref. Nice reading comprehension though.

X players started getting all excited when LaSalle picked up the pressure and took wild shots (Up 16 with 4 min left in 3rd)
Went 5-15 from the free throw line
Could of missed the 2nd free throw with 2.1 seconds left (makes LaSalle shoot a full court shot)
If he does make the 2nd, foul as soon as the ball is inbounded - Up 3, LaSalle shooting 2 with 1 second left

Easy to point the finger at the refs or a light, maybe X could of done about 30 things differently in the final 12 minutes.

What does the rule say if the clock reads 0.00 and the shot is not off yet in HS basketball? I was not aware that the red light means nothing in HS and that the horn takes precedence. In college basketball, the rule is that the clock takes precedence over the red light and the horn from what I have read. According to the rules that I read on the NCAA, if a shot goes off with the horn not yet on but the clock reads 0.00, it does not count. I know that this is not the NCAA in this thread but I just thought it was interesting about the various rules at different levels. Does anyone know in here what takes precedence in the high school rules, the time left on the clock or the horn sounding? It seems that others are saying above that the LaSalle player shot the ball after the clock read 0.00 but that is okay since the horn had not sounded yet which would make the shot uncounted in NCAA rules but good in HS rules. Is that correct?
I am not trying to argue or complain just asking about the rules for clarification purposes.

What does the rule say if the clock reads 0.00 and the shot is not off yet in HS basketball? I was not aware that the red light means nothing in HS and that the horn takes precedence. In college basketball, the rule is that the clock takes precedence over the red light and the horn from what I have read. According to the rules that I read on the NCAA, if a shot goes off with the horn not yet on but the clock reads 0.00, it does not count. I know that this is not the NCAA in this thread but I just thought it was interesting about the various rules at different levels. Does anyone know in here what takes precedence in the high school rules, the time left on the clock or the horn sounding? It seems that others are saying above that the LaSalle player shot the ball after the clock read 0.00 but that is okay since the horn had not sounded yet which would make the shot uncounted in NCAA rules but good in HS rules. Is that correct?
I am not trying to argue or complain just asking about the rules for clarification purposes.
I think even Lasalle fans agree it wasn't off in time, but it was super close. Super tough call in live time for the refs.
X coach did a lousy job in last minute. Use 1 or 2 of your 4 timeouts left and calm the boys down. X players got rattled. Easy after the game but free throws obviously killed them. Lasalle got lucky multiple times in 4th qtr.
X also had overtime to win the game with 2 Lasalle starters fouled out.
I do think both programs are going in opposite directions and X will be really good going forward. Learning experience for the coach also....