Cincinnati D-1 Sectional

Anyone think Sycamore continues its upset run and takes out Walnut Hills in the 7:30 game at Lakota West to set up a Cincinnati 2 Sectional championship between this winner and the La Salle Middletown winner.

If Sycamore is hot from 3 they will definitely have a chance. I think Walnut plays much better defense than OH played Friday night and Smith will be a hand full, if he stays out of foul trouble. Sycamore must compete on the glass to have a chance, both teams have improved immensely over the last month.

Out coached, out played, out hustled. What did Mt. Healthy do for a week and a half?! The owls had a chance late in the 1st quarter and all of the second quarter to take the lead with Robinson on the bench with two fouls. Instead hamilton increased the lead with clutch shooting from Lewis. Hamilton dominated every faze of the game. Next time Carmichael needs to play first round instead of taking a bye to face a team that beat you by 20 in the regular season. If I’m Kollin Tolbert I would get out of Mt.Healthy and go to a program where there is structure and discipline. To good of a ball player and person to be around that crap.

Three Sectional finals (2, 4, 5,) have been set for Friday, February 28. All games are at 7:00 p.m.

Cincinnati 2 - #11 Walnut Hills vs. #3 La Salle at Lakota West. La Salle beat Walnut Hills 65-51 on January 3

Cincinnati 4 - #14 Lakota West vs. #6 Princeton at Hamilton. West and Princeton split their two games by almost identical scores: West winning on 12/10 by a score of 81-76 and Princeton winning 82-77 on 1/24.

Cincinnati 5 - #8 Hamilton vs. #7 St. Xavier at Fairfield. Hamilton and St. Xavier have not played each other this year.

Last edited:
If Sycamore is hot from 3 they will definitely have a chance. I think Walnut plays much better defense than OH played Friday night and Smith will be a hand full, if he stays out of foul trouble. Sycamore must compete on the glass to have a chance, both teams have improved immensely over the last month.

Boy was I wrong. I thought Sycamore could keep it within 8-10, but this was a complete blowout. However I was right in stating that Walnut plays way better defense than Oak Hills, 23 points in 32 minutes is unbelievable. LS is a different animal, even though they have not been super impressive in beating Withrow and Middletown.

Went to see Turpin v Elder. $7 was the biggest bargain in entertainment. Two great teams all the way to OT. Whoever #1 is for Turpin, I dont know WTF Lakota East will do to stop that guy, he was unbelievable. No idea if he is a senior or is playing at the next level but I cant see anyone stopping him. That was two great teams and a nearly full house, too bad it was a round 2 game.

Went to see Turpin v Elder. $7 was the biggest bargain in entertainment. Two great teams all the way to OT. Whoever #1 is for Turpin, I dont know WTF Lakota East will do to stop that guy, he was unbelievable. No idea if he is a senior or is playing at the next level but I cant see anyone stopping him. That was two great teams and a nearly full house, too bad it was a round 2 game.
#1 is junior guard Jackson Holt. Here are his stats: http://eccsports.com/bkPlayerStats.aspx?player=543398. His FG% of 37.9% doesn't even make the top 50 in his own league. http://eccsports.com/bkStats.aspx?satc=160&v=a&div=-1&stat=score&sort=5&year=2019. Perhaps he got hot tonight. He takes a lot of shots and misses almost two shots for every one he makes. I would be more worried about Turpin's big man, Owen Spencer 6'9", hitting 57.7 of his shots (97-168).

Last edited:
Went to the game to watch East. The intensity of game 2 was incredible. Best 7 bucks I have spent in a long time. Both teams fans should be applauded for their attendance and support. Turpin showed composure down the stretch. Did not see the stats but Turpin scored more at the ff line. Will be good game against East.

Turpin was the better team. Felt like Elder kind of scratched and clawed just to stay in it. Turpin is long and Elder is very small. Turpin won the game at the free throw line.

Will be interesting to see the Turpin v East matchup.

Last edited:
Great win for Turpin, they have more ability and they played well. Holt is a very good athlete and scorer. They needed a good performance from him and they got it.

Turpin shot 21-for-26 from the charity stripe and Holt finished with a game-high 22 points while senior center Owen Spencer had 18 and was 6-for-7 from the line. Jackson Holt is a damn good free throw shooter hitting on 84% of his free throws. Foul Turpin at your own risk. As a team, they are hitting 70% of their free throws among eleven players over the whole season. Last night they did better than that hitting 81%.

Last edited:
I still like East in this match-up over Turpin by ten points.
Two best teams not named LaSalle or Moeller.....Both East and Turpin are more athletic than people give them credit for, and guard like crazy. Just think that this Turpin bunch has that "IT" factor. When that little guard #4 threw one in from 75' feet at the buzzer to beat McNick, you had to think something's going on here....Ought to be a great contest, but low scoring.

Two best teams not named LaSalle or Moeller.....Both East and Turpin are more athletic than people give them credit for, and guard like crazy. Just think that this Turpin bunch has that "IT" factor. When that little guard #4 threw one in from 75' feet at the buzzer to beat McNick, you had to think something's going on here....Ought to be a great contest, but low scoring.
Im not sure LaSalle is better than East or Turpin.

He was the ECC player of the year. He averaged 15.7 ppg and 7.7rpg A lot of people had trouble with him.

Thanks. I know zero about that conference. He is very strong. If he would have made more free throws things may have been different. I will pay more attention next year.

Cincinnati #2 seed Lakota East plays Dayton #2 seed Beavercreek at 1:00 next Sunday in a district final

Last edited: