CHL Football 2020

So Wyo gets Taylor (again) this week? Who does IH have to beat to set up the league title game?

Has anyone seen Valleyview play this year? Do they have a shot at upsetting Indian Hill in R3? They had a big win last year against Roger Bacon in the playoffs and then Wyoming put them on a running clock by the 3rd quarter in the next game.

Have not seen ValleyView but from league contacts, it appears that IH is very overrated. Just a few athletes out there playing ball and no real offensive or defensive schemes to speak of. Wyoming still owns this league by a longshot.

Have not seen ValleyView but from league contacts, it appears that IH is very overrated. Just a few athletes out there playing ball and no real offensive or defensive schemes to speak of. Wyoming still owns this league by a longshot.

Disagree, Indian Hill is a much better team than Wyoming this year. Indian Hill has way more play makers than Wyoming. I guess we'll know in a couple weeks. Wyoming had less than impressive wins over Reading and Madeira and Indian Hill blew out both by a combined 105-7

Mariemont moving on in the playoffs after beating Purcell
Wyoming moving on after beating Graham
Surprised to see Indian Hill lose to Valley View

I saw Valley View play a good Bellbrook team. Not great on either side of the ball but they are well coached and have the ability to beat Wyoming IF the Cowboys turn the ball over. If Wyoming plays a clean game they likley win 24-14 or something like that.

REALLY wanted to see a Wyoming-IH matchup this week!

Good luck to Wyoming and Mariemont.
anyone know anything about springfield shawnee? seems as if their Defense is pretty good allowed 6 pts to the 2seed blanchester.

Last edited:

anyone know anything about springfield shawnee? seems as if their Defense is pretty good allowed 6 pts to the 2seed blanchester.

I did too. What happened in the Indian Hill game? Was Valley View just better or did IH just blow the game?

I have never seen an easier playoff path than Mariemont has gotten. This will be their fourth playoff game and they still haven't faced a team with a winning record. Better to be lucky than good I guess

I did too. What happened in the Indian Hill game? Was Valley View just better or did IH just blow the game?

I have never seen an easier playoff path than Mariemont has gotten. This will be their fourth playoff game and they still haven't faced a team with a winning record. Better to be lucky than good I guess
Valley View is pretty good Bellbrook beat them 28-21 and Bellbrook is the #1 seed in D3 reg 12
Doesnt look like either team posted stats yet but I would love to see Hammond/Thortons #'s on the ground

That region is Roger Bacons to lose though! Kiner played limited snaps (1 offensive drive in the 1st half) and RB handled them pretty easily
This week will be a tougher test for Mariemont! I am rooting for them though!

That’s because there’s never been a playoff year like this one, before— but sooner or later, Mariemont will have to pay the piper— or, should I say face the Ogre...

Valley View is pretty good Bellbrook beat them 28-21 and Bellbrook is the #1 seed in D3 reg 12
Doesnt look like either team posted stats yet but I would love to see Hammond/Thortons #'s on the ground

That region is Roger Bacons to lose though! Kiner played limited snaps (1 offensive drive in the 1st half) and RB handled them pretty easily
This week will be a tougher test for Mariemont! I am rooting for them though!
That region being R20, not R16, you mean? Because it’s unlikely that any of the Region 16 teams could handle Kiner either— I’d love to see him run against Coldwater or Marion, to see whether they could hold him in check...

Kind of unfortunate that probably the really good teams down here in this quadrant are ALL in different divisions— Clinton Massie is not going to face Roger Bacon is not going to face Coldwater is not going to face Marion Local... I doubt that (this year, without Prater) that Wyoming or any CHL team, for that matter, could stay with ANY of those four teams. I won’t be surprised if all four of the SW Ohio regional final games are run-aways— with R16 being the best chance of a well-contested final.

What happened to IH? I saw clips of it on the stream, but I thought they were going to run with this one. Are they capable of winning a game when it matters?

That’s because there’s never been a playoff year like this one, before— but sooner or later, Mariemont will have to pay the piper— or, should I say face the Ogre...

I get that, but still...three straight games and still no winning team? Even in this weird year that's pretty remarkable.

Last edited:
IH never wins the big game in the playoff's. I think back to the Regional championship game against Monroe. That was their year.

Shawnee is located in Clark County off of SR 72, south of I-70 and Springfield. If I remember correctly, last years QB, state high jump champion, is now at Akron as a WR and a LB from a couple of years ago at Ohio U. I would guess they have 6-7 kids per year play college ball after they graduate. They have a grass field but is only used by the football team and is some of the best grass in the state this late into the year.

They play in the Central Buckeye Conference and are in the large school division, Kenton Trail and are 5-2 on the year. That particular division consists of Tecumseh (DII), Jonathon Alder (DIII), London (DIII), Bellefontaine (DIII), Kenton Ridge (DIV) and Shawnee. They are the DIII state runner up in 2011, losing to Cardinal Mooney 21-14 and have made the playoffs 6 out of the last 10 years (DIII, DIV and DV). The coaching staff is highly regarded around mid-southwest Ohio and I would say have been together for at least15 years, so there is continuity to their program.

From what I have heard, they are young, playing a lot of Sophs and several Frosh. They do have some quality Srs but in essence this is a rebuilding year. Though I have not see them play this year I cannot imagine the schemes have changed much from the last several years and are similar to Mariemont in their offense, spread, RPO, strong QB and RB. They are typically known for their speed more than size. The defense is aggressive and fast but sometimes lets the big play occur. Rest assured they prepare for every game and do not look beyond this week, so you should get their best shot and I suppose that is the mindset the coaches bring to the program.

This should be a very good game and I expect it to be high scoring...wish I could be there.

That region being R20, not R16, you mean? Because it’s unlikely that any of the Region 16 teams could handle Kiner either— I’d love to see him run against Coldwater or Marion, to see whether they could hold him in check...

Kind of unfortunate that probably the really good teams down here in this quadrant are ALL in different divisions— Clinton Massie is not going to face Roger Bacon is not going to face Coldwater is not going to face Marion Local... I doubt that (this year, without Prater) that Wyoming or any CHL team, for that matter, could stay with ANY of those four teams. I won’t be surprised if all four of the SW Ohio regional final games are run-aways— with R16 being the best chance of a well-contested final.

I think last year proved that Bacon will need more than Kiner. Bacon was in region 16 last year and didn't even make it to the regional semi-finals(and they had a better offensive line last year). They got beat by Valley View who then got boat raced by Wyoming. If anything I would say Bacon is fortunate they are playing in a lower division this year and won't have to deal with traditional R16 powers.

Reactions: 4GX
I think last year proved that Bacon will need more than Kiner. Bacon was in region 16 last year and didn't even make it to the regional semi-finals(and they had a better offensive line last year). They got beat by Valley View who then got boat raced by Wyoming. If anything I would say Bacon is fortunate they are playing in a lower division this year and won't have to deal with traditional R16 powers.
You’re probably right— but, I don’t think anyone in R20 is going to stop him.

Best of luck to Wyoming and Mariemont today as they represent the CHL in the final 16 of the D4 and D5 state play-offs.

Madeira and Reading capped off their season with wins over Bethel-Tate and Norwood yesterday.

Taylor lost by a few scores in an ambitious match-up against local rival Harrison.

Finneytown completes the 0-fer with a loss to St. Bernard.

Indian Hill and Deer Park were idle.

This graphic has been painted on the wall of our local neighborhood Dairy Queen (for some time)— this business must know how to pick ‘em:
1604280646279.jpeg

Roger Bacon: Division V- Regional Finalist this week
Wyoming: Division IV- Regional Finalist this week
Winton Woods: Division II- Regional Finalist this week
St. Xavier: Division I- State Semi-Finalist this week

I guess it helps to have four pretty good teams from your neighborhood— wonder if there is anywhere else in Ohio that has such representation in the state football playoffs this year?

How are Wyoming’s Prater brothers doing for Luke Fickell, so far this year at UC?

Funny how Prater brothers sounds like Stater Brothers (which sounds like Statler Brothers)...