CHL Football 2020

IH and Wyoming are so far ahead of the rest of the league there is a guarantee of two blow-outs every week.
It’s the ongoing problem with the league... Wyoming and Indian Hill would be better off in a different (higher) league— and the other CHL schools would likely be better off without them, too— maybe with somebody like Purcell Marian and/or McNick and/or Roger Bacon (in any other year, but this year)...even Lockland, St. Bernard, and St. Rita’s would make more sense for the rest of the CHL...

Last edited:
There has to be some incentive for a school to leave the league, or for other schools to want them gone. At this point I don't see any incentives. Indian Hill has been doing well for a few years now but it's not like they haven't had their ups and downs in the CHL. Wyoming has been more consistent over the years but they are consistently blessed with much more talent than any other CHL school. IH and Wyoming are two of the biggest schools in the league and I think they enjoy being the big kids on the block. If they move to another league they will probably have less in common with new league, more travel, and not the big fish. I just don't see any changes happening anytime in the foreseeable future.

There has to be some incentive for a school to leave the league, or for other schools to want them gone. At this point I don't see any incentives. Indian Hill has been doing well for a few years now but it's not like they haven't had their ups and downs in the CHL. Wyoming has been more consistent over the years but they are consistently blessed with much more talent than any other CHL school. IH and Wyoming are two of the biggest schools in the league and I think they enjoy being the big kids on the block. If they move to another league they will probably have less in common with new league, more travel, and not the big fish. I just don't see any changes happening anytime in the foreseeable future.
You’re probably right (at least about PART of it— I think, unfortunately, Wyoming and Indian Hill DO LIKE dominating the rest of the league in most things— BUT I’ve GOT to think the ”little 6” are getting really sick of this, on their side)— but it’s a bit sad (all the way around)—it just feels sort of unhealthy for both sides to be engaging in this folly in football every fall— and (except when Deer Park brings in a bunch of ringers), it‘s the same in basketball– Wyoming rarely ever loses a game— it would be better (for both life lessons taught and for morale) for both groups of schools to be regularly facing competition that more closely matches their own level... Wyoming and Indian Hill could EASILY find some ”like” schools (in both size, talent, resources, etc.) to themselves that would help their students grow from more even competition—and so could the other six schools.

St. Xavier used to play Aiken, Taft, and Woodward in football decades ago— that no longer makes any sense; nor did it make sense for X to continue playing Purcell and Roger Bacon any more (at least in football) after THOSE former league rivals had shrunk so much that the games would have been mismatches like the Wyo/Finneytown, IH/Taylor type matchups are— and so the GCL reformulated (i.e.- split into two divisions)— and the CHL badly needs the same thing.

Yea heard on more than one account it was getting a bit out of hand.....I assume JV finished the game out

Other than madeira shutout vs DP (was pretty surprised by that)
was pretty close.

chl week 5 matchups

Madeira at Deer Park - deer park 30 madeira 24 (44-0 W for Madeira)

Taylor at Indian Hill - Taylor 7 IH 49 (60-6 W for IH)

Mariemont at Reading - Mariemont 24 Reading 14 (25-20 W for Mariemont)

Finneytown at Wyoming - Wyoming 56 Ftown 0 (63-7 W for Wyoming)

-------------------------
not sure on match ups this week I am going with the following

IH 70 Finneytown 0
Reading 21 Madeira 24
Deer park 13 Mariemont 30
Wyoming 34 Taylor 13

Still why the powers to be didnt make a IH Wyoming matchup happen is BEYOND me. I know week 4-9 is what they used but they had a shot to
make it happen and didnt and I really think that will hurt come playoff time.

IH and Wyoming are so far ahead of the rest of the league there is a guarantee of two blow-outs every week.
Wyoming is still a VERY good team but no where close to the same offensive output like last year with prater
crazy to think Hester still has 2 years to grow and get faster/stronger kid is going to be a STUD!

For those wondering about the IH vs Taylor score, Taylor does not help themselves by trying to run a hurry-up offense. No time runs off the clock and the number of possessions dictates a high score. Deer Park slows the game down which allows those games to remain close for a longer period of time and potentially allow better teams to make some mistakes and steal a game.

I mean maybe I'm wrong (haven't personally watched a live Taylor game this year) but have watched the past few years with Miller as HC they have never ran a hurry up style offense. Maybe getting down by so much so fast dictated them needing to change.

Taylors style of offense has nothing to do with not throwing the ball up 40+ pts with your varsity kids still on the field.....
It is what it is..... wouldn't expect anything less, if you cant stop it I mean the guys lining up from you worked just as hard if not harder.

Hell RB is putting up 80 on teams bc no one can tackle Kiner. No offense to RB but when he is gone I hope some of these teams that took an L b/c of one kid lays it on them so hard that RB walks off the field and doesnt want to play!

Gotta put up as many points as you can this year with Covid. I guess it looks good for seeding reasons despite the weak schedule!

Gotta put up as many points as you can this year with Covid. I guess it looks good for seeding reasons despite the weak schedule!
That’s absurd—every team is IN, if they want to be— and the Seedlings mean VERY little, if anything— nor does home field advantage— with almost no fans in attendance— this is a ridiculous justification for very poor sportsmanship (by ANY team that is running up the score in the second half, against vastly inferior competition).

I'm not sure teams are running up the score in the second half. The first half is fair game. If the JV scores on the Varsity in the second half to expand the spread, so be it. Work harder.

I’m not saying it is right. Varsity shouldn’t be running up the score. JV can score however many they want though. I’m just saying maybe this has happened as a justification to a higher seed. And yes, higher seeds do matter. Number one seed plays at home until state semis. That’s huge, fans or not.

I'm not sure teams are running up the score in the second half. The first half is fair game. If the JV scores on the Varsity in the second half to expand the spread, so be it. Work harder.
Work harder? Give me a break. Would that still apply if IH played St. X and got destroyed? Should have worked harder, IH. Such a lame argument.

The IH coach only dresses 40, that way his JV's never get in. Trust me he is classless! You don't throw the ball in the 4th up by 30 plain and simple. Why does he not talk to the other head coaches before the game? He thinks he is tough, I will just wait and see what they do against a team that has the same types of numbers, If I were a sycamore coach I WOULD KEEP A CLOSE EYE on him recruiting their guys!

The IH coach only dresses 40, that way his JV's never get in. Trust me he is classless! You don't throw the ball in the 4th up by 30 plain and simple. Why does he not talk to the other head coaches before the game? He thinks he is tough, I will just wait and see what they do against a team that has the same types of numbers, If I were a sycamore coach I WOULD KEEP A CLOSE EYE on him recruiting their guys!
I think this was IH's year to really compete for a CHL title. Wyoming is REAL good. their offensive production obviously isnt what it was with Mr football gone but their D is just as good! I think IH would have gave them a run for their money.

A football title with an * next to it or CO-champs isnt the same for the CHL when IH and Wyoming didnt face head to head.

If I was an Indian Hill dad I would keep a close eye on my wife!

I don't understand this post. It appears this person has a personal grudge. Why is Sycamore even relevant? Public schools cannot really recruit. If you live in Sycamore... you go to Sycamore.

1601559041145.png

So IH only scored two TDs in the 2nd half - not seeing the issue.

View attachment 10354

I think people were complaining that Indian Hill was throwing the ball for TDs while up 5 TDs already (regardless of the quarter they were in). They also were playing their starters into the 4th quarter of game they were already up by 40. Combine this with Indian Hill's reputation of running up scores and some people aren't happy. I think it's time to move on though - it's happened before and it'll happen again.

View attachment 10354

I wasn't the one complaining about this but I do think that its bs that your starting running back is still getting carries when you are up 47-6 in the 4th quarter, with a running clock. Indian Hill has a team that is looking to make a playoff run this year and if I was the coach I wouldn't want to risk getting my starting rb hurt in the 4th quarter of a blowout win.

Last edited:
Seeding Discussion:

Division 4
IH #2
WYO #3
Taylor #14

** The vote totals apparently were very close which probably is appropriate and it was a toss-up between 2 and 3. I'm rooting for both teams to win their first two games and create a de-facto CHL championship for the right to play for the State Final Four. Would be a great game.

Taylor could rematch WYO again in second round.

Division 5
Mariemont #11
Madeira #12
Reading #21

Mariemont/Reading re-match! Tough draw for Mariemont as Reading appears miss-seeded too low. Which Madeira team shows up? Second round vs CHCA winnable game for them if they play.

Division 6
Deer Park #15

Loaded region. A win gets them the pleasure of being destroyed by Mechanicsburg. Looks like Finneytown opted out.

Mariemont - Reading should be a good game, it was a close game last week. I'd take Mariemont again.
Wyoming and Indian Hill will likely win their first two games, setting up a potential matchup between them.
Madeira probably wins their first game and then loses to CHCA.
I think Taylor wins and then loses to Wyoming
Finneytown is going to lose first round
I think Deer Park also wins and then loses second round

I realize this is a watered down playoff field but the CHL still represented themselves well last night. Madeira, Taylor, and Deer Park all win big and Mariemont edges Reading. Next weekend will get more interesting