CHL Football 2020

Wyoming versus Madeira is the featured game this week. Hancock versus Stewart has been an intense personal rivalry between the coaches. A few interesting story lines as the Wyoming offense seems to be finding its rhythm and its defense continues to be the standard by which to be measured. Madeira has the potential to be a great team but appeared to get shell-shocked last week.

Too bad they didn’t schedule Finneytown v Taylor. Would have been a chance for both teams to win one.

Very odd scheduling indeed. For some reason it seems as if "rivalry" games were purposely excluded from the regular season.

Finneytown vs Taylor
Deer Park vs Reading
Madeira vs Mariemont
Wyoming vs Indian Hill

I watched most of the Reading-Finneytown game on Youtube. I was pretty impressed with Reading; they have the numbers and athletes to make some noise in the D5 play-offs if they get the right match-ups. Watching how overmatched Finneytown was only further confirmed that they are in need of a league change.

Yea
Moosejaw called it
I called it, but completely whiffed on the Wyoming/Mariemont game. Apparently Wyoming is pretty damn good. I think it's Indian Hill and Wyoming and then a big drop off to everyone else. Looks like (besides Finneytown) every other team could be a toss up in head to head.

Wyoming versus Madeira is the featured game this week. Hancock versus Stewart has been an intense personal rivalry between the coaches. A few interesting story lines as the Wyoming offense seems to be finding its rhythm and its defense continues to be the standard by which to be measured. Madeira has the potential to be a great team but appeared to get shell-shocked last week.

Wyoming should win this easily. What is the personal rivalry between Hancock and Stewart?

Yea

I called it, but completely whiffed on the Wyoming/Mariemont game. Apparently Wyoming is pretty damn good. I think it's Indian Hill and Wyoming and then a big drop off to everyone else. Looks like (besides Finneytown) every other team could be a toss up in head to head.

Wyoming's defense is still great and while their offense is not nearly what is was with Prater, it's going to work fine against the CHL teams. They are going to rely a lot on the run, but they've got some good weapons in Pagan, Hester and Thomas. CJ Hester has looked really good so far, and he's only a sophomore. However, if Wyoming and Indian Hill happen to meet in the playoffs, I'd take Indian Hill at this point.

I respect Wyoming and Indian Hill. They are not doing themselves any favors by not playing in the regular season. I would not be surprised if one of those teams gets tripped up in the playoffs as a result of the schedule they are playing.

I respect Wyoming and Indian Hill. They are not doing themselves any favors by not playing in the regular season. I would not be surprised if one of those teams gets tripped up in the playoffs as a result of the schedule they are playing.
It wasn’t their choice.

Finneytown needs to move to the dregs of Ohio Football... the MVC lower division.

The CHL is a tough league! Many of the schools would compete with and beat teams from just about any conference around the city, depending on the sport/team. Wyoming and Indian Hill would compete for conference titles in the SWOC and GCL-Coed and could beat teams from both the ECC and bottom tier of the GMC such as Oak Hills or Middletown.

I think that Finneytown would be better suited long term to move to the MVC, if they would have them. Could be a bit of a tough sell as that conference is already at 12 teams, and will reach 14 full members next fall with Purcell and Bacon. However, nearly every sport they offer operates in divisions so that could be to their benefit. I don't know if the MVC likes keeping the number of teams even or if that matters.

Looking at the all sports trophy standings, they have brought up the rear for the past several years and don't really even have a strong program in any sport. Have to think it's hard to get numbers up on their teams when they know they are going to struggle for wins.

The CHL is a tough league! Many of the schools would compete with and beat teams from just about any conference around the city, depending on the sport/team. Wyoming and Indian Hill would compete for conference titles in the SWOC and GCL-Coed and could beat teams from both the ECC and bottom tier of the GMC such as Oak Hills or Middletown.

Love the passion although it's misguided. CHL teams do not have the depth to compete and win with ECC and GMC (even bottom tier teams). Too many kids playing both sides of the ball.

Move Finneytown to the MVC and Taylor to the SWOC. Add Norwood and CHCA to the CHL.

I think that Finneytown would be better suited long term to move to the MVC, if they would have them. Could be a bit of a tough sell as that conference is already at 12 teams, and will reach 14 full members next fall with Purcell and Bacon. However, nearly every sport they offer operates in divisions so that could be to their benefit. I don't know if the MVC likes keeping the number of teams even or if that matters.

Looking at the all sports trophy standings, they have brought up the rear for the past several years and don't really even have a strong program in any sport. Have to think it's hard to get numbers up on their teams when they know they are going to struggle for wins.

IH, wyo, mariemont, madeira need to join a league w CHCA, bacon, purcell, and summit.

Love the passion although it's misguided. CHL teams do not have the depth to compete and win with ECC and GMC (even bottom tier teams). Too many kids playing both sides of the ball.

Move Finneytown to the MVC and Taylor to the SWOC. Add Norwood and CHCA to the CHL.
Taylor has finished 4th in the all-sports trophy 5 out of the last six years and hasn’t finished below 5th in a decade. They are doing just fine in the CHL

Taylor has finished 4th in the all-sports trophy 5 out of the last six years and hasn’t finished below 5th in a decade. They are doing just fine in the CHL
and taylor is growing and likely to improve its performance. it is also D3, i believe, for football. at least it was.

My initial guess was that Taylor would be closer to most of the SWOC schools than the CHL schools, but after calculating all the trip times, the average CHL trip is only 2 minutes longer on average than the average trip to each SWOC high school.

I don't see any reason why Taylor should leave the CHL at this point in time.

I disagree on this statement. CHL is not a tough league. Its worst than the SWBL and others. Now, I will say, yes absolutely Wyoming can compete with other conferences such as the GCL and SWOC etc. But Indian Hill isn't exactly a powerhouse in most sports. They would finish near the bottom in the GCL for basketball. Alter and Wyoming have a strong football history in the playoffs but Alter has always won. Indian Hill got train wrecked by Alter football a couple of years ago. Alter also stomped Wyoming in basketball when everyone in Cincy thought Wyoming would cruise. Coach Coulter and nis team took the Cowboys to the woodshed in the districts. Hancock does a great job coaching football and I think they deserve recognition for a state title and runner up the last two years in DIV. But I still think the CHL is a joke minus Wyoming in most sports. Head to head in girls volleyball, basketball, football, soccer, baseball, etc except lacrosse, Badin, Alter, CJ, Fenwick, and McNicholas would roll through the CHL with the exception of Wyoming at times.

I disagree on this statement. CHL is not a tough league. Its worst than the SWBL and others. Now, I will say, yes absolutely Wyoming can compete with other conferences such as the GCL and SWOC etc. But Indian Hill isn't exactly a powerhouse in most sports. They would finish near the bottom in the GCL for basketball. Alter and Wyoming have a strong football history in the playoffs but Alter has always won. Indian Hill got train wrecked by Alter football a couple of years ago. Alter also stomped Wyoming in basketball when everyone in Cincy thought Wyoming would cruise. Coach Coulter and nis team took the Cowboys to the woodshed in the districts. Hancock does a great job coaching football and I think they deserve recognition for a state title and runner up the last two years in DIV. But I still think the CHL is a joke minus Wyoming in most sports. Head to head in girls volleyball, basketball, football, soccer, baseball, etc except lacrosse, Badin, Alter, CJ, Fenwick, and McNicholas would roll through the CHL with the exception of Wyoming at times.
Wow, who would have thought that all of those private schools would roll through a conference of public schools?

I somewhat agree that the CHL isn't the strongest conference, but comparing the CHL to the GCL doesn't exactly prove much. Obviously the private school league is going to mostly outperform the public schools.

Wow, who would have thought that all of those private schools would roll through a conference of public schools?

I somewhat agree that the CHL isn't the strongest conference, but comparing the CHL to the GCL doesn't exactly prove much. Obviously the private school league is going to mostly outperform the public schools.

I was more making the statement that the bottom of the GCL would still finish #2 behind Wyoming in most sports in the CHL.

Taylor's spring sports are are and have been pretty strong in the chl and outside of the league as well.

Their soccer programs have both made HUGE strides in the past few years with good coaching hires that really know the sport.

Both basketball programs had the best seasons in 10+ years last year!

Wrestling fills an entire lineup and has won some team events recently.

Are they full of world beaters, no
BUT Taylor has been more competitive over the past few years than they were the entire last decade!

(You can call me biased b/c I'm a Taylor grad but I'm just calling it like I see it)
Thing that's hard for them as it has been is the # of kids in the district that go the private school route. You can drive through any one of the "higher income" subdivisions in the district and see elder lasalle Seton mercy flags flying whether its indian lake Aston oaks any of them. But that's their choice big fish little pond or little fish big pond the choice is theirs.

I'll choose big fish little pond for my kids so they can make their own memories with their HS sports careers.