CHL Basketball 22-23

I have my fingers crossed for my Madeira Mustangs…they have a bunch of players with big varsity experience…barring injury I think they make a run at the league and a district title…

I have my fingers crossed for my Madeira Mustangs…they have a bunch of players with big varsity experience…barring injury I think they make a run at the league and a district title…
Would love to see the stangs back in prime condition. If healthy the team could produce a solid year.

Anyone else? What does IH have? Mariemont lost Malafa but brings back Stewart…Taylor lost Austing and Hilvert…any insights fellas?

Anyone else? What does IH have? Mariemont lost Malafa but brings back Stewart…Taylor lost Austing and Hilvert…any insights fellas?
I think Madeira SOULD roll, but could see Mariemont, Indian Hill and Wyoming able to challenge. Madeira, historically, loses a few games every year in league they should not.

I'd like to see Red's take, here. My thoughts:

Madeira: returns absoluetly everyone
Indian Hill: new coach, but a couple good seniors, and their hearalded junior class. See how they and Ricardo and his transfers adapt to each other.
Mariemont: Return Stewart and a couple other seniors who had good years last year. Their junior class actually won CHL as frosh over this Indian Hill group.
Wyoming: Return a few sneaky solid players and have a loaded frosh group in; a few of them might play right away.
Taylor: Lost a ton, but coach has proved he can make them modern "Phil Garners"...call them Scrap Iron. They'll win some games they probably should not.
Deer Park: Seemed to have started to turn the corner late last year. See if people stick around.
Finneytown: Also started to turn the corner last year until the devastating death of a player. See if they can recover.
Reading: Like their district run 4 years ago, lost all their players, and had to start over. Last year was about .500 with an all senior cast. Coach will build it again.

Agree…I saw DP late season and liked what I saw..young energetic coach and players buying in..Didn’t see Finney…Coach Holland will always be a threat to win games at Taylor…his players play hard and with pride and are well coached..their gym is a tough road game! I saw both IH and Mariemont 4 times….hard to say..IH was banged up and the Warriors looked like world beaters one minute and pedestrian the next…My Mustangs are loaded but it will come down to chemistry and the ability to lock in on defense…should be another good year around the league…saw some gems last year!

With regards to Madeira, I'm not sure the last time a team with a losing record in the league ended up winning the CHL the following season (Deer Park may have pulled that off with the state title effort of 2017-18). I'm also curious where people think Madeira ranks in regards to speed, quickness, and athleticism. Lot of great kids on the Madeira team and certainly many quality players. But the same can be said for many...if not all of the teams in this league.

With regards to Madeira, I'm not sure the last time a team with a losing record in the league ended up winning the CHL the following season (Deer Park may have pulled that off with the state title effort of 2017-18). I'm also curious where people think Madeira ranks in regards to speed, quickness, and athleticism. Lot of great kids on the Madeira team and certainly many quality players. But the same can be said for many...if not all of the teams in this league.
Very true…gonna be another alley cat brawl for the league title…In regards to Madeira they have a bunch of kids with 2 and 3 years of varsity experience which should help..they are reasonably tall and Connor Cravaack can drop 25 in a heartbeat….depth might be an issue and as I stated up thread…the ability to lock in on defense.

Another notable example was Finneytown going 5-16 (3-11) in 2010 before winning the league (in a 3-way tie) in 2011 with a 16-7 (10-4) record.

I think Madeira has all the pieces in place to win the CHL but not sure if they can pull it off. With the exception of the big Cravaack I think they play really soft. Tons of talent, good size, decent athletic ability, but from what I have seen, toughness and intensity is lacking.

Moose I can see that as well…the other thing is just simple shooting…not just 3’s but the ability to knock down a shot…elbow jumper…baseline…good teams make shots ( see Centerville the past few seasons)..A team can’t spend 32 minutes looking for layups…that is ridiculously easy to defend…space and pace is the name of the game now..so teams that shoot well (Taylor last year!) usually do well if they defend and rebound…or play the percentage game like Mariemont and take 70 shots…and they won a district medal ?

I think Madeira has all the pieces in place to win the CHL but not sure if they can pull it off. With the exception of the big Cravaack I think they play really soft. Tons of talent, good size, decent athletic ability, but from what I have seen, toughness and intensity is lacking.
You sound like you’re describing a 4th to 6th place team. Not sure your definition of “tons of talent” but there have been dozens of CHL teams with considerably more talent in my time in the league. On “decent athletic ability,” I’d like to know what teams don’t have at least that. Great kids. Good players. Need to improve a lot to contend for the league title. I’m certainly rooting for it, but there are a number of teams that have as good or better possibilities of winning the CHL in 2022-23.

You sound like you’re describing a 4th to 6th place team. Not sure your definition of “tons of talent” but there have been dozens of CHL teams with considerably more talent in my time in the league. On “decent athletic ability,” I’d like to know what teams don’t have at least that. Great kids. Good players. Need to improve a lot to contend for the league title. I’m certainly rooting for it, but there are a number of teams that have as good or better possibilities of winning the CHL in 2022-23.
I'm certainly not saying that they are they favorite, I was just answering your question. I think they have the best big in the league (maybe the best player) and they have some kids that can shoot. I agree, seen dozens of more talented teams in the CHL over the years but as far as this upcoming year I think they are right there. I think it will be another dog eat dog year with no clear dominant team. They have a chance to win it but I think several other teams do as well. Ricardo will make Indian Hill play tough and contend. Loyola Mariemont will be in contention. Taylor lost a lot but still has some very good players coming back. Wyoming will be tough. I think any of those five teams could win it.

Last edited:
I love the “reclassified “ garbage…from now on I am reclassifying to 35 years old (I am well north of 50 ?)…3 high schools and 2 prep schools…as I said in a different thread NJIT is big time , academically speaking .

So, Munson reclassified to graduate later? The article said he reclassified to graduate in 2022, but he was a senior in the 20-21 season. I've only ever heard of players reclassifying to graduate early.

So, Munson reclassified to graduate later? The article said he reclassified to graduate in 2022, but he was a senior in the 20-21 season. I've only ever heard of players reclassifying to graduate early.
cmon man! Imagine an extra year of high school so you could dominate younger kids.

Reclassify was a poor word choice on the writer's part. In reality, he just took a post-grad year to get more exposure against better competition. Many kids with few to no D1 offers out of high school do it as well. Jeremiah Davenport at UC is a prominent local example.

Saw Indian Hill play this month and I think they are the team to beat in the CHL this year. Very talented and probably the best coach in the league.

Wow! Should be a fun year…wasn’t sure who was back for them…saw them 4-5 times last year..be interesting to see Ricardo coach

Saw Indian Hill play this month and I think they are the team to beat in the CHL this year. Very talented and probably the best coach in the league.
why is he the best coach?

What's your evidence from Walnut Hills, aside from their scholarship and NBA talent he brought in?

If he were to have the same freedom at IH< that he did at WH to bring in players as frosh or sometime later in their high school career, then he might be winning the most games.

Indian Hill has always been the big bad bully of the league, along wth wyoming. If Indian Hill is not dominant, there will be a problem.

Last edited:
Well…they are both division 2 schools in a small school league…it doesn’t bode well for them at tournament time..

why is he the best coach?

What's your evidence from Walnut Hills, aside from their scholarship and NBA talent he brought in?

If he were to have the same freedom at IH< that he did at WH to bring in players as frosh or sometime later in their high school career, then he might be winning the most games.

Indian Hill has always been the big bad bully of the league, along wth wyoming. If Indian Hill is not dominant, there will be a problem.
He has had success coaching in college, AAU, and a very competitive high school level. From what I have seen, kids like playing for him and he gets the most out of them. Rooks is the only other CHL coach with a resume that comes close to Hill.
Maybe not this year, but I also think that he will find ways to get transfers into the program. Several reasonably priced apartments in the Kenwood area that are in Indian Hill district. With this hire, and the new football coach, Indian Hill is spending big and clearly showing that they are going all in to win.

He has had success coaching in college, AAU, and a very competitive high school level. From what I have seen, kids like playing for him and he gets the most out of them. Rooks is the only other CHL coach with a resume that comes close to Hill.
Maybe not this year, but I also think that he will find ways to get transfers into the program. Several reasonably priced apartments in the Kenwood area that are in Indian Hill district. With this hire, and the new football coach, Indian Hill is spending big and clearly showing that they are going all in to win.
I'm not arguing his success in the past, but those 3 places have 1 thing in common, he gets to pick his players. The 1st time someone transfers INTO Indian Hill, things will not go well. Parents wont tolerate that. "Woah woah woah. Yes. We want to win, but not with my son on the bench." That may fly with administartion, but not the parents, who ran the last coach out who never had a losing seson

in other news... saw finneytown a little loud on twitter this summer. Anything new with them? Deer Park seemed to turn the corner a little bit late last year. Are they "re-loading" with new guys or losing guys?