CHL 2019-2020

I think you’re missing the point. I believe he’s saying that Deer Park treats their public school team like an AAU team because they are pulling kids from other schools and teams. Whether Gentry is a good coach or not, coaches aren’t allowed to go to other schools and recruit their players. No, Deer Park is not the only team doing this, but they have basically built all of their success off non-Deer Park kids ( including their state title). It’s not a coincidence that all of these kids have shown up at Deer Park since Gentry has started.
So what you're really saying is that you want Deer Park to go back to the way they use to be when everyone in the league was beating them by 30 to 40 points. Would you be happy then? If I recall there were kids from Deer Park on that state championship team and there are Deer Park kids on the team now so what are you really saying? If you want facts everybody on the team now is from Deer Park and lives in Deer Park. So there you have it. I guess it would be better if they go back to losing every game to the teams that have been running the league for years. Don't yall get tired of seeing Wyoming and Indian Hill win the league every year. Every year it's a two-way race with other teams fighting for 3rd on down. Rather you get one transfer or 6 the fact is that kids and parents have a right to choose. I've seen a few transfers on Indian Hill team over the last few years, no one seems to care that Wyoming and Finneytown has a starter on their teams that wasn't there as a freshman. So again rather there are 1 or 5 no one is screaming there cheating. Why is that?

I think you’re missing the point. I believe he’s saying that Deer Park treats their public school team like an AAU team because they are pulling kids from other schools and teams. Whether Gentry is a good coach or not, coaches aren’t allowed to go to other schools and recruit their players. No, Deer Park is not the only team doing this, but they have basically built all of their success off non-Deer Park kids ( including their state title). It’s not a coincidence that all of these kids have shown up at Deer Park since Gentry has started.
SO what your saying is Gentry goes to other schools and talks to there parents and their kids to transfer. That's against the rules and if he is doing that I think with all the money the other schools have they would have a case on him by now. Its been 3 or 4 years now and everybody keeps saying the same thing but have 0 facts to prove it. If I was a coach I would be trying to find out how in the world does he does it instead of crying about it year after year. Like he said it's getting old now. Find something else to talk about. And how are they NON-Deer Park kids if they live in Deer Park. Can someone explain this to me?

Well, to switch topics I think the coach at Finneytown should be the coach of the year. Look at his body of work. For years he's been getting his head beat in winning 1 maybe 3 games a year to this year winning 10 games this year. What do yall think?

I get your point. For awhile Deer Park was struggling to even put together a whole team. Deer Park kids weren't exactly rushing to be on the basketball team. But imagine you or your child is a player in Deer Park who doesn't get to play because the new coach went out and recruited players from other schools. I'm all for competition and every player should have to earn their playing time, but in my opinion, that's not right. Even if the argument is tired and old, I think it's a legitimate argument.

Back in 2007-08 Deer Park had a great team and won a CHL title with guys like Harrison, Rascona, Carey, etc. To my knowledge, no one was complaining.
Imagine if the kids in Deer Park took basketball seriously and played all year round to get better then come into the next season ready to compete for a spot on the team. Wouldn't that be a wonder? Again this goes back to every kid doesn't deserve a trophy because you're on the team. We the adults are raising our kids to always think someone owes them something besides getting out here and earning your way through life. That's why these kids are soft because of the way they're being raised. Imagine what could happen if you took some time to get your kid better at whatever sport. Then we probably wouldn't be having these imaginary stories to make up about why their kids are not playing or coming out for the team. I don't remember them having a freshman team. I've been to some of the JV games. Have you seen the players they have on that team? If not go check that out then come back and tell me how many of them should really be playing basketball or there just out there to have fun or run with there buddies. And it's legitimate for you because you probably played or have kids on the other team that's now loosing to them and you don't like it. I got 3 words for you. GET OVER IT!!!!!

I do agree that some of it is sour grapes b/c they win. Heck nearly every school has kids who come and go but DP certainly is the extreme.

IF DP would go to open enrollment (like Taylor) no one would/could complain b/c then kids from outside the district could be a part of the team under the rules.

Imagine if the kids in Deer Park took basketball seriously and played all year round to get better then come into the next season ready to compete for a spot on the team. Wouldn't that be a wonder? Again this goes back to every kid doesn't deserve a trophy because you're on the team. We the adults are raising our kids to always think someone owes them something besides getting out here and earning your way through life. That's why these kids are soft because of the way they're being raised. Imagine what could happen if you took some time to get your kid better at whatever sport. Then we probably wouldn't be having these imaginary stories to make up about why their kids are not playing or coming out for the team. I don't remember them having a freshman team. I've been to some of the JV games. Have you seen the players they have on that team? If not go check that out then come back and tell me how many of them should really be playing basketball or there just out there to have fun or run with there buddies. And it's legitimate for you because you probably played or have kids on the other team that's now loosing to them and you don't like it. I got 3 words for you. GET OVER IT!!!!!
If you are proud of what your "Deer Park kids" have accomplished then good for you. Seems like a percentage of that community is behind the plan but not all of them bought in. The situation is for Deer Park to decide. That doesn't mean everyone else has to admire it. When you go down that path to success it comes with criticism. You should take your own advise and "get over it".

I do agree that some of it is sour grapes b/c they win. Heck nearly every school has kids who come and go but DP certainly is the extreme.

IF DP would go to open enrollment (like Taylor) no one would/could complain b/c then kids from outside the district could be a part of the team under the rules.
Reading is also open enrollment.

So what you're really saying is that you want Deer Park to go back to the way they use to be when everyone in the league was beating them by 30 to 40 points. Would you be happy then? If I recall there were kids from Deer Park on that state championship team and there are Deer Park kids on the team now so what are you really saying? If you want facts everybody on the team now is from Deer Park and lives in Deer Park. So there you have it. I guess it would be better if they go back to losing every game to the teams that have been running the league for years. Don't yall get tired of seeing Wyoming and Indian Hill win the league every year. Every year it's a two-way race with other teams fighting for 3rd on down. Rather you get one transfer or 6 the fact is that kids and parents have a right to choose. I've seen a few transfers on Indian Hill team over the last few years, no one seems to care that Wyoming and Finneytown has a starter on their teams that wasn't there as a freshman. So again rather there are 1 or 5 no one is screaming there cheating. Why is that?

You're right, I think a lot of people get tired of seeing Wyoming and Indian Hill win every year (not just in basketball). But, I'm not sure everyone is willing to let other teams break the rules to do it. I know what you're going to say - "Where's the proof? You need FACTS!" - Come on, everyone knows what's going on. That's why Deer Park parents are constantly on this site arguing about it.

SO what your saying is Gentry goes to other schools and talks to there parents and their kids to transfer. That's against the rules and if he is doing that I think with all the money the other schools have they would have a case on him by now. Its been 3 or 4 years now and everybody keeps saying the same thing but have 0 facts to prove it. If I was a coach I would be trying to find out how in the world does he does it instead of crying about it year after year. Like he said it's getting old now. Find something else to talk about. And how are they NON-Deer Park kids if they live in Deer Park. Can someone explain this to me?

Not that you would believe it anyway, but I can tell you with nearly 100% certainty that this happened. Plus, do you honestly think that all of these parents just decided to randomly move or transfer to Deer Park and just happen to have talented basketball players as sons? Obviously it would be very hard to prove the intent of why someone moved or transferred - but again, come on...

Wyoming isn't winning a state championship by any means, but I wouldn't be shocked if they beat Badin.

I wouldn't be shocked either since they are the 1 seed and Badin is the 3. But, my point was that is a pretty even game. In fact, I think Badin might be slightly better overall. Wyoming has the best 2 players, but I think Badin is better 3-10. Will be a good game for sure. And Wyoming will have to play very well to beat Badin.

not exactly correct about wyoming. crayton lives in wyoming but chose to attend moeller until enrolling in the district. all other players have been in the district as far as i remember.

Well, to switch topics I think the coach at Finneytown should be the coach of the year. Look at his body of work. For years he's been getting his head beat in winning 1 maybe 3 games a year to this year winning 10 games this year. What do yall think?

Finneytown won 2 conference games last year. 4 this year.
Their Non conference wins were Del Cristo rey, St Bernard, Hillcrest, Shroder, Bethel and Riverview.

Other teams in the CHL have made much more improvement than FInneytown.

You're right, I think a lot of people get tired of seeing Wyoming and Indian Hill win every year (not just in basketball). But, I'm not sure everyone is willing to let other teams break the rules to do it. I know what you're going to say - "Where's the proof? You need FACTS!" - Come on, everyone knows what's going on. That's why Deer Park parents are constantly on this site arguing about it.

Indian Hill has only won the league in basketball once in the last 10 years and yes, Wyoming is on a roll over the last few years but these are the two biggest schools (along with Taylor) in the CHL so they should have at least a small advantage. Here are the totals over the last 20 years (includes shared titles):

Wyoming 8
Madeira 8
Indian Hill 5
Reading 3
Finneytown 1
Deer Park 1
Deer Park Elite 1 ?
Mariemont 1

Not that you would believe it anyway, but I can tell you with nearly 100% certainty that this happened. Plus, do you honestly think that all of these parents just decided to randomly move or transfer to Deer Park and just happen to have talented basketball players as sons? Obviously it would be very hard to prove the intent of why someone moved or transferred - but again, come on...
I think that would have to have blinders on to not think that the players are moving to DP to play basketball. Let me say before my next statement that I understand transferring or moving just for athletics is against OHSAA rules, even though I do not agree with it. If all players live in the district and were cleared by the OHSAA for the whole season, then there is no foul. Since DP is a closed district all students must either live in the district or be the son or daughter of a teacher/staff. I know this has been said on here before and years past also, but if so many people have 100% proof turn it over to your AD or the OHSAA. Heck I heard this past week that a CHL AD paid for a private investigator the year DP won state and couldn't find evidence of anything not sure I believe that. But if I said with near 100% that my previous statement was fact does that make it so? I find it hard to believe that so many people have all this proof but yet no one has the ability to turn that in. Also don"t come back with OHSAA doesn't investigate, enough of you on here have done that for them or so you say. Send in the evidence you uncovered by investigating on your own and let them hand out punishment.

Finneytown won 2 conference games last year. 4 this year.
Their Non conference wins were Del Cristo rey, St Bernard, Hillcrest, Shroder, Bethel and Riverview.

Other teams in the CHL have made much more improvement than FInneytown.
I guess, if you just count wins. But can you imagine last year's team being within one point of D.P. after three quarters? They were down 30 both times.

The average Finneytown league game this year has been 55-57; last year it was 41-60. That +17 is the biggest in the league by some margin (Taylor's next at +6); I don't think there's been a YOY increase as big in the last five years except for DP hiring Gentry and changing their business plan.

Another way of looking at it: last year their average league game was a 19-point loss. This year they made it to February without losing that badly even once.

I guess, if you just count wins. But can you imagine last year's team being within one point of D.P. after three quarters? They were down 30 both times.

The average Finneytown league game this year has been 55-57; last year it was 41-60. That +17 is the biggest in the league by some margin (Taylor's next at +6); I don't think there's been a YOY increase as big in the last five years except for DP hiring Gentry and changing their business plan.

Another way of looking at it: last year their average league game was a 19-point loss. This year they made it to February without losing that badly even once.
This is a truly original argument. Award coach-of-the-year for achieving closer losses. ???

I was arguing YOY improvement, not coach of the year. If you don't think they've improved enormously since last year you must not have seen any games.

I'm not sure people fully realize how historically bad Finneytown's program has been since Griggs left. They've just come off the worst five-year period in the history of the school (measured by w/l but I'll bet it's even more true if you look at point spread)...and it just happened to coincide with the high school career of the only NBA player the district's ever seen. It's hard to imagine how that's even possible.

Just getting the rosters filled out again, and getting the basketball back to sort-of-competitive, is an achievement. Now if somebody could only do that on the girls' side.

I was arguing YOY improvement, not coach of the year. If you don't think they've improved enormously since last year you must not have seen any games.

I'm not sure people fully realize how historically bad Finneytown's program has been since Griggs left. They've just come off the worst five-year period in the history of the school (measured by w/l but I'll bet it's even more true if you look at point spread)...and it just happened to coincide with the high school career of the only NBA player the district's ever seen. It's hard to imagine how that's even possible.

Just getting the rosters filled out again, and getting the basketball back to sort-of-competitive, is an achievement. Now if somebody could only do that on the girls' side.
OK. The conversation you joined started when “something to say” stated that Finneytown’s coach should win COY.

OK. The conversation you joined started when “something to say” stated that Finneytown’s coach should win COY.
But the message I responded to said there were a lot of teams that had improved more than Finneytown because they only had two more league wins this year. Nobody in the league has improved more over last year, nobody (not even Taylor, and their transformation is remarkable) has improved more over where they were three or four years ago. The current coach deserves some props for that even if he isn't going to win any awards.

The Madeira coach is prolly the worst, or top 5, I have ever seen...y’all were spot on there...team looked decently athletic but poorly prepared and very unmotivated...contrast Mariemont looked confident and took what Madeira gave them...GCLCHL you are right on the money..Madiera parents grow a pair and run that clown back to coaching rec..your kids deserve better...so do my Braves lol

Madeira coach is certainly no John Wooden but that Madeira team has a serious lack of talent and size in their junior and senior classes. Very hard to win with no talent. Indian Hill, on the other hand, has had some good talent over the last few years but just can’t put it together.

Last edited:
I saw that game too. Didn’t feel like traveling. There’s definite talent on the Madiera team - few Jrs and 1 or 2 Srs. Jrs are small but quick and scrappy. But the “offense” they are forced to play is slow. The weave above the arch 5x before even looking at the hoop. They should run and push the ball. Press. There’s one true ball handler. Only player who I saw that can swing it and get it inside or penetrates. No bigs post up. No screens. I agree. Coach doesn’t know the difference btwn yelling and coaching. They came from behind and went ahead. Coach subbed. Stopped the momentum. Don’t get it. Sometimes you just gotta let ‘em play. Bet those boys are glad season is winding down. Wonder if coaching staff will change next season. Coach even looks miserable. Never once saw him high five a player or show any encouragement. Maybe I’ll throw my hat into the ring. I don’t live in the community so I probably wouldn’t be hired.

CD RAM, that's a great post.
What's funny in this thread is that people are arguing over a good coach and a good man at Madeira who's had a below par season, and we miss the garbage that Gentry continues to pull at Deer Park. The latest embarrassing chapter was written Friday night.