CHL 2019-2020

Impossible to predict what Deer Park Elite will have from year to year, could be a whole new crew next year. And to those that support Gentry and say that he is building a program, why don't they even have enough players to have a freshman team? Their Jr High teams are also a disaster. This may be his last year or he may stay another 20 years but if he does leave soon that program will be a disaster.
This is a travesty. Why would Deer Park kids bother playing middle school or freshman basketball when there is no chance they will play varsity? Why aren't the Deer Park parents more concerned with their own sons than with putting some bogus trophies on the shelf?

This is a travesty. Why would Deer Park kids bother playing middle school or freshman basketball when there is no chance they will play varsity? Why aren't the Deer Park parents more concerned with their own sons than with putting some bogus trophies on the shelf?

Wasn't there a facebook page, Gentry's first year or two, put up by some Deer Park parents saying exactly this? It's gone now.

To be fair, Deer Park's number problems at the lower levels aren't new, so they can't really be blamed on Gentry. But he's certainly done nothing to help.

Impossible to predict what Deer Park Elite will have from year to year, could be a whole new crew next year. And to those that support Gentry and say that he is building a program, why don't they even have enough players to have a freshman team? Their Jr High teams are also a disaster. This may be his last year, or he may stay another 20 years, but if he does leave soon that program will be a disaster.
So are they the only school without a freshman team in that league?

Will losing Wise now that half the season is over really hurt them? Seems like his season hasn’t been as good as expected. Gentry and the big kid are really good players

Why would that be the case? He transferred and then transferred again.
I don't remember the timeline of it all--did he ever actually go to class at Taft? Or just announce that he was going to?

I might be wrong but as I understand the rule it doesn't count as a transfer until you attend class or participate in a practice or game. Enrolling, by itself, isn't enough (unless you're going to be home schooled).

I’m pretty sure he attended Taft for a little while and then went back to Deer Park. I’m not sure how GI Jones is still able to play. He attended Taylor and then left to Deer Park this year. Good luck to Wise in college. He had a good career

Taylor has some great underclassmen right now playing up on Varsity.

Danny Austing is avg'ing 18 a game and is only a sophmore
zieverink is a junior avg'ing 10
Hilvert is sophmore avg'ing 8 (hilvert had a HUGE game vs IH think he scored 24)
This might be the place to mention that Holloway for Finneytown has four straight games with at least 20 points and 4 steals, and two games before that streak started had 23 and 3 at Deer Park. He's averaging 20.8 for the season.

I'm not sure how far back you have to go to find a sophomore at the school averaging 20 or more for a season. The late Mark Hawkins, maybe?

This might be the place to mention that Holloway for Finneytown has four straight games with at least 20 points and 4 steals, and two games before that streak started had 23 and 3 at Deer Park. He's averaging 20.8 for the season.

I'm not sure how far back you have to go to find a sophomore at the school averaging 20 or more for a season. The late Mark Hawkins, maybe?

Lonnie Grayson was close with 19.4

Lonnie Grayson was close with 19.4
I was just referring to Finneytown. But you're right, it hasn't happened at any CHL school since the statistics page at the league website went live in 2007.

In fact I'm having trouble finding anyone in the area that's done it in the last 15 years--it hasn't happened in the MVC or the GMC at least. I don't think I'll bother checking the GCL, they don't score enough points. Samari Curtis of Xenia averaged 24 per game his sophomore year in 2016/17. Kennard of course. But if I have to cherrypick Mr. Ohio's to find it, it must not happen very often.

I was just referring to Finneytown. But you're right, it hasn't happened at any CHL school since the statistics page at the league website went live in 2007.

In fact I'm having trouble finding anyone in the area that's done it in the last 15 years--it hasn't happened in the MVC or the GMC at least. I don't think I'll bother checking the GCL, they don't score enough points. Samari Curtis of Xenia averaged 24 per game his sophomore year in 2016/17. Kennard of course. But if I have to cherrypick Mr. Ohio's to find it, it must not happen very often.

Ah, I see what you meant.

Paul McMillan IV is currently averaging 34 PPG as a sophomore at Woodward. He averaged 24 PPG as a freshman last year (at Hughes).

There's one problem with my last few posts here--Holloway is a junior, not a sophomore. I'm not sure how this got into my head.

Great game tonight down at Taylor. The place was packed. Wyoming won in a good game. They are very talented team and seem to get so many calls. Taylor basketball heading in a great direction. They are under sized but really battle and make plays. The zone gave Wyoming some trouble. They had too many athletes in the end and shoot a lot of free throws. Wyoming will definitely win the league

I've seen Wyoming and they make it look effortless.

They get so many easy baskets on layups and are athletic enough to guard teams. One of the best teams in the city regardless of division.

IMO one player away from making a run to state final four.

Finneytown took it to IH at IH...they are also on the rise...Holloway and the bigs are a load

Wow. One of the biggest wins for Finneytown in recent memory. Congrats to "The Town".
Finneytown's last win at Indian Hill was January 5, 2007. Not even the 2011 championship team could get it done over there.

Indian Hill's broadcast is up on youtube if anyone's interested:

It was 47-41 IH with a little over five minutes to play, then Holloway went off--I think he had 14 points himself in the next 4:45 or so.

Last edited:
Watching that video now. Announcing is hard.

"You can tell the pace is quickly wearing on the Finneytown team"... and the next four minutes were 19-4 Finneytown.

The score doesn’t show how close the game was
Wyoming led the entire game and closed them out in the 4th. They controlled the game and had a horrible night shooting the 3. Could have been 20 easily if they don't shot 14% from 3. Taylor is improved but certainly didn't give Wyoming all they could handle.. West Hi and Deer Park gave Wyoming much tougher games

Indian Hill's not exactly known for their announcers. I went to an IH football game this year and the announcer said that the QB was sacked to the 51-yard line. He was perfect on every Wyler dealership advertisement though...