Chet Holmgren vs Emoni Bates

Smalls

I enjoyed watching these two go at it. Holmgren clearly got the better of Bates last night. I have never seen anyone 7'1" with that kind of handle, was also surprised he didn't get pushed around at all. Man I hope he can stay injury free with those knobby knees and all the spin moves he does.

Bates clearly extremely talented, but took a lot of tough shots when trying to answer a shot made by the other team. Looked more like an open gym than a team game. With 2 five stars and 4 four stars Ypsi. sure didn't look like they were using their talent advantage at all. It is still early, but these are by all accounts high basketball IQ guys who looked like they got caught up in the ESPN cameras.

Anyone else watch this game? Opinions?

I enjoyed watching these two go at it. Holmgren clearly got the better of Bates last night. I have never seen anyone 7'1" with that kind of handle, was also surprised he didn't get pushed around at all. Man I hope he can stay injury free with those knobby knees and all the spin moves he does.

Bates clearly extremely talented, but took a lot of tough shots when trying to answer a shot made by the other team. Looked more like an open gym than a team game. With 2 five stars and 4 four stars Ypsi. sure didn't look like they were using their talent advantage at all. It is still early, but these are by all accounts high basketball IQ guys who looked like they got caught up in the ESPN cameras.

Anyone else watch this game? Opinions?
Agree with your assessment. I watched with my 13 year old son that was excited to watch all 3 HS games on ESPN last. Was very impressed with Holmgren and how he handles the ball and impacts the game a lot of different ways. Not too impressed with Ypsi and all their 4 & 5 star players. Was definitely like watch AAU game and look at me ball. No off ball movement (cuts, screens), just one-on-one and bad shots and bad drives. Bates has lot of talent but does not play very smart.

I kept asking myself why no one was stepping in and taking a charge after Holmgren (at 7'1") would blow by much much smaller guys on the perimeter. I think they took one charge. It was crazy to watch a 7'1" guy with more quickness than guys 5-8 inches smaller than him. If wasn't like he was backing them down or just shooting over the top of them......he was blowing by them off the dribble.

Very evident that there was zero coaching going on in this game. Again ,these prep schools are not high school teams. Nothing more that individual showcasing. No team ball on Offense or defense period.

Very evident that there was zero coaching going on in this game. Again ,these prep schools are not high school teams. Nothing more that individual showcasing. No team ball on Offense or defense period.
Correct, if you tuned into this game for that, you were watching the wrong game. Team Sizzle is an AAU team, Holmgren actually goes to Minnehaha. But with Oak Hill, who played before them, I was very impressed with how they shared the ball.

Yes in the prior game Oak Hill shared the ball very well. The team from North Carolina, too much one on one from the Williams kid. But once again, these prep schools do not play by the same set of rules as high school teams. That is why they are not members of their state athletic association and cannot compete in the state playoffs. This year at the flyin to the hoop, there are 9 of these teams competing

Yes in the prior game Oak Hill shared the ball very well. The team from North Carolina, too much one on one from the Williams kid. But once again, these prep schools do not play by the same set of rules as high school teams. That is why they are not members of their state athletic association and cannot compete in the state playoffs. This year at the flyin to the hoop, there are 9 of these teams competing
Looks like Mikey Williams has to make some adjustments to playing without a shot clock. A lot of people really don’t understand that California high school hoops is a completely different game. Look at last years Sierra Canyon - St V game. In my opinion, if that game is played with a Cali shot clock and that faster pace, Sierra Canyon wins by double digits.

Correct, if you tuned into this game for that, you were watching the wrong game. Team Sizzle is an AAU team, Holmgren actually goes to Minnehaha. But with Oak Hill, who played before them, I was very impressed with how they shared the ball.
It was not a aau team. Their states haven’t approved basketball yet because of Covid so they went under club names so they could play. It was listed as an exhibition so espn could televise the game

It was not a aau team. Their states haven’t approved basketball yet because of Covid so they went under club names so they could play. It was listed as an exhibition so espn could televise the game
Team Sizzle is the UAA AAU team . . . Basically the same kids from AAU team and high school team

Most Prep schools games are like this, a collection of talent and very little coaching and a lot less structured. That's why when fly by night(literally) prep schools come to FTTH they struggle against structured high school teams but ultimately win because they're more talented. There is a reason why the Oak Hill's or Montverdes' of the world or even Moeller never come to FTTH, it's a spectacle for the casual fan to see. If you go to an elite AAU game, it's no different.

Looks like Mikey Williams has to make some adjustments to playing without a shot clock. A lot of people really don’t understand that California high school hoops is a completely different game. Look at last years Sierra Canyon - St V game. In my opinion, if that game is played with a Cali shot clock and that faster pace, Sierra Canyon wins by double digits.
I’m not up on the HS state rules differences— sounds like Williams (from NC?) is used to playing WITH a shot clock— but then these games in this ESPN event did not have it? And then CA HAS a shot clock—but then Sierra Canyon from CA played St. V (from OH?) in a game that did NOT have a shot clock— thus allowing St. V to win?

Believe me, the shot clock has nothing to do with it but it has everything to do with structure versus non structure and manger coaches versus instructional coaches.

Believe me, the shot clock has nothing to do with it but it has everything to do with structure versus non structure and manger coaches versus instructional coaches.

The top coaches in Ohio would have no problem "managing" a shot clock. The fact there still isn't a shot clock universally in high school basketball is a joke.

A team that can't get a good shot off in 30 seconds, well probably isn't a very good team to begin with.

I’m not up on the HS state rules differences— sounds like Williams (from NC?) is used to playing WITH a shot clock— but then these games in this ESPN event did not have it? And then CA HAS a shot clock—but then Sierra Canyon from CA played St. V (from OH?) in a game that did NOT have a shot clock— thus allowing St. V to win?
Part 1: Yes, Mikey played in Cali last year. Really fast offense, Coach pretty much let him do whatever he wanted. Which isn't a dig at coach, he's obviously super skilled. That's just not the situation with his new team. He looked a little uninterested in the Oak Hill game.
Part 2: A lot of people, including myself, thought Sierra Canyon would beat St V pretty convincingly, just based off of their ridiculous amount of talent and scoring. St. V was definitely able to slow the game down and control the pace, which made Sierra Canyon look a little out of whack at times. But Sierra Canyon still won in a pretty low scoring game.

Ok, you might be right. Only reason I said that is because I watched a handful of Chet's games and didn't recognize most of the teammates out there. But Minnehaha is a great place to hoop, so probably just transfers.

The top coaches in Ohio would have no problem "managing" a shot clock. The fact there still isn't a shot clock universally in high school basketball is a joke.

A team that can't get a good shot off in 30 seconds, well probably isn't a very good team to begin with.
There should be NO SHOT CLOCK in high school basketball period. Teams should be able to run whatever offense they want and if it takes a minute or two minutes to get a good shot so be it.