Chardon at Mentor Scrimmage

Friday August 12 at 6 pm - Chardon will travel to Mentor and will play one half of football which they have done for the past four years. Should be entertaining if you're looking for something to do.
Chardon 10, Mentor 7 in the half scrimmage.

Mentor scored on Chardon’s 2nd string defense, who they subbed in with 5 minutes left in the game. I’m pretty sure that Mentor had their starters in still when they scored. That said Mentor did drive the field against Chardon’s 1st defense but had to settle for a 25 yard field goal which was missed from the kicker by kicking it into the line. The only thing that impressed me was Snow on defense. That kid can HIT.

Barring injuries, Chardon should still contend for a State Title.

I understand scrimmages don’t mean much, but this is 3 years in a row Chardon has beaten Mentor in this annual scrimmage.

Both teams should have successful seasons.

Chardon 10, Mentor 7 in the half scrimmage.

Mentor scored on Chardon’s 2nd string defense, who they subbed in with 5 minutes left in the game. I’m pretty sure that Mentor had their starters in still when they scored. That said Mentor did drive the field against Chardon’s 1st defense but had to settle for a 25 yard field goal which was missed from the kicker by kicking it into the line. The only thing that impressed me was Snow on defense. That kid can HIT.

Barring injuries, Chardon should still contend for a State Title.

I understand scrimmages don’t mean much, but this is 3 years in a row Chardon has beaten Mentor in this annual scrimmage.

Both teams should have successful seasons.
Pretty one sided reporting here. Mentor had Chardon stopped on their td drive. Refs bailed Chardon out on a throw that was way short and picked off.

Chardon started off strong. Mentor finished strong. Was pretty even and who knows what a full game would bring.

Chardon is good though. D3 will have issues. Offense wouldn't work vs good D1 defensive teams but Mentor isn't usually that ....

Chardon would be the 2nd or 3rd best team on our schedule though this year.

Important to note Mentor always plays very vanilla on offense in the preseason. I say this every year but have to repeat it.

Saw some things I both liked and disliked. But neither team was dominated. Pretty even overall

Pretty one sided reporting here. Mentor had Chardon stopped on their td drive. Refs bailed Chardon out on a throw that was way short and picked off.

Chardon started off strong. Mentor finished strong. Was pretty even and who knows what a full game would bring.

Chardon is good though. D3 will have issues. Offense wouldn't work vs good D1 defensive teams but Mentor isn't usually that ....

Important to note Mentor always plays very vanilla on offense in the preseason. I say this every year but have to repeat it.

Saw some things I both liked and disliked. But neither team was dominated. Pretty even overall
In HS pass interference is pass interference, even if the ball is uncatchable. That said, I would have never called it because it didn’t impact the play.

To say Mentor was vanilla and Chardon through the playbook at Mentor is ridiculous. They were BOTH vanilla. Chardon was the better team and more physical.

In HS pass interference is pass interference, even if the ball is uncatchable. That said, I would have never called it because it didn’t impact the play.

To say Mentor was vanilla and Chardon through the playbook at Mentor is ridiculous. They were BOTH vanilla. Chardon was the better team and more physical.
I never said Chardon didn't play vanilla. I don't know their personnel or how they play enough to say that.

Mentor definitely plays vanilla though in preseason. You guys play a wing t. It kind of is what it is ....different for passing teams.

Again that offense won't work vs good D1 teams. D3 is different. Just being honest. We cant play like that and beat Eds. Their lines would kill that.

That said , your qb made some good throws.

Chardon really wasn't better by much if at all. That said, we won't know who is better until Chardon plays us for real. Preseason isn't the same.

PS: Kicker for you guys from Mentor looks good though. I wonder if the guys commenting on Mentor bball players coming in will talk about those leaving Mentor as well ? lol.

Last edited:
Chardon was stronger, more physical, and had much better execution in the trenches. No matter what anyone thinks of the play calling, the difference in line play was clear. And this wasn’t a factor of size or talent. This was about preparation, skill development, toughness, and physicality. Chardon has it. They are a string contender to win it all in D3.

Mentor’s sophomore QB looked good today. A strong arm who can make the throws. The decision making needs to get better and it will.

Chardon was stronger, more physical, and had much better execution in the trenches. No matter what anyone thinks of the play calling, the difference in line play was clear. And this wasn’t a factor of size or talent. This was about preparation, skill development, toughness, and physicality. Chardon has it. They are a string contender to win it all in D3.

Mentor’s sophomore QB looked good today. A strong arm who can make the throws. The decision making needs to get better and it will.
Chardon Oline was way better than ours. Dlines both had some solid plays and some mistakes.

Mentor isn't preparing for a wing t. D1 you simply don't play against that. Even running teams it's more complex. With our crappy coaching on defense along with that , I expected choppy stuff early. Later they adjusted and played better though.

Mentor has to work on blocking the most. And hopefully have a kicker since we lost one to Chardon. Hard to tell when he had no room to kick the field goal today

About what you would expect from a pre season scrimmage.

Vernon looked great. Mentor's offensive line, did not. Hopefully Snow is ready at QB becuase that poor sophomore is going to be abused if the O-Line can't toughen up.

About what you would expect from a pre season scrimmage.

Vernon looked great. Mentor's offensive line, did not. Hopefully Snow is ready at QB becuase that poor sophomore is going to be abused if the O-Line can't toughen up.
I was hoping some oline guys were out..

If not they better improve

I’ve been a big proponent of Chardon scheduling at least 1 heaven hitter the last two years (Ed’s, Mentor, Massillon, Hoban) just for the fact that how many years will Chardon have a team that could compete with these teams. Last year and this year they could. Would they win, maybe, maybe not, but it would be a game.

BTW - Saying the wing-t can’t compete at the DI or DII level is ridiculous. Look back at the past State Champions. They ALL ran the ball more than passed. That’s a FACT. Look at the Mentor teams that lost in the finals, ALL those teams ran the football FIRST.

I’ve been a big proponent of Chardon scheduling at least 1 heaven hitter the last two years (Ed’s, Mentor, Massillon, Hoban) just for the fact that how many years will Chardon have a team that could compete with these teams. Last year and this year they could. Would they win, maybe, maybe not, but it would be a game.

BTW - Saying the wing-t can’t compete at the DI or DII level is ridiculous. Look back at the past State Champions. They ALL ran the ball more than passed. That’s a FACT. Look at the Mentor teams that lost in the finals, ALL those teams ran the football FIRST.
Which Mentor teams ran first and made the state finals ? I mean all could run, but Mentor is a passing team. Sure teams like Eds who can fill their oline depth from 15 school districts can pound it more and dominate like that. Most can't.

Chardon couldn't run that offense in D1 and beat the good defenses. Again Mentor isn't one of those good defenses most years ... We just score a lot.

In D1 , you need more balance. Chardon and Kirtland type offenses are awesome at lower levels. Would have to be more balanced in D1. Look I cheer for you both, but I'm just being real. It's different levels of football.

Didn't Hilliard Davidson run the Wing a few years ago in the state finals versus Mentor?
Exception to the rule but it was more of a triple option type and had some more complex looks. Their oline was exceptional that year too. Big farm boys. I still think Mentor should have won that game but didn't do enough that night

To say Wing T offense wouldn’t work in division 1 is ridiculous. I have already seen a division 1 team win a state championship with a run heavy offense, Hilliard Davidson. Mentor fans will recall the thrilling OT loss in the 2012 state game. The grind it out ball control philosophy works as long as you are disciplined and don’t turn the ball over or commit costly penalties backing you up against the sticks. Chardon is a program that is historically well disciplined so the Wing T fits them well. I’m not suggesting Chardon would win division 1 last year but if a division 1 school committed to Wing T and played disciplined ball, they’d have just as good of a chance as anyone else. It likely would come down to the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s.

Tell your coach/athletic director to call the folks at Massillon Washington. The Tigers have several open dates in 2023. In fact the two programs have played at the 8th and 7th levels during the last 2 seasons. In addition, both schools played in 2005 at the varsity level.

To say Wing T offense wouldn’t work in division 1 is ridiculous. I have already seen a division 1 team win a state championship with a run heavy offense, Hilliard Davidson. Mentor fans will recall the thrilling OT loss in the 2012 state game. The grind it out ball control philosophy works as long as you are disciplined and don’t turn the ball over or commit costly penalties backing you up against the sticks. Chardon is a program that is historically well disciplined so the Wing T fits them well. I’m not suggesting Chardon would win division 1 last year but if a division 1 school committed to Wing T and played disciplined ball, they’d have just as good of a chance as anyone else. It likely would come down to the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s.
I mean Mentor lost in the final 4 to Whitmer in 2012. The Hilliard Davidson game was 2006. As usual, you come off as an idiot while trying to smart off.

Hilliard Davidson had a very good run from 04-09. They won in 06 and 09 (not 2012) They had exceptional linemen who are bigger than Chardon and Kirtland. And they cashed in on their chances. They haven't been as consistent overall. Again it also helped to have an exceptional hs rb in that game too and most D1 teams are more balanced

Last edited:
Tell your coach/athletic director to call the folks at Massillon Washington. The Tigers have several open dates in 2023. In fact the two programs have played at the 8th and 7th levels during the last 2 seasons. In addition, both schools played in 2005 at the varsity level.
We'd play you guys week 1 as long as you give us even home games. Chardon would probably want that too.

I mean Mentor lost in the final 4 to Whitmer in 2012. The Hilliard Davidson game was 2006. As usual, you come off as an idiot while trying to smart off.
My date off by six years, apologies but my point still stands, a ball control run heavy offense can win it all. I see you’re still sore about prior comments, that’s okay, I still maintain Mentor wins big next week and finishes 8-1. Tonight’s defeat was not an indicator of how good they are. Nobody game plans for scrimmages and if you don’t prepare against Wing T, it’s tough to stop.

My date off by six years, apologies but my point still stands, a ball control run heavy offense can win it all. I see you’re still sore about prior comments, that’s okay, I still maintain Mentor wins big next week and finishes 8-1. Tonight’s defeat was not an indicator of how good they are. Nobody game plans for scrimmages and if you don’t prepare against Wing T, it’s tough to stop.
If you look at D1 as a whole, the offenses are far more balanced. You are pointing to an exception and acting like it's normal. HD lines were bigger than Chardon. Their back was way better. And it was more triple option with different looks than a wing t. Not the same thing.

I already said that about the wing t. With our crappy coaching I knew they'd start bad. Adjusted and finished strong. Full game, I think we win but I'll never know. Preseason isn't the same as a regular game. I'm sure both teams had some guys out and rotated more players in too

Which Mentor teams ran first and made the state finals ? I mean all could run, but Mentor is a passing team. Sure teams like Eds who can fill their oline depth from 15 school districts can pound it more and dominate like that. Most can't.

Chardon couldn't run that offense in D1 and beat the good defenses. Again Mentor isn't one of those good defenses most years ... We just score a lot.

In D1 , you need more balance. Chardon and Kirtland type offenses are awesome at lower levels. Would have to be more balanced in D1. Look I cheer for you both, but I'm just being real. It's different levels of football.
I wasn’t saying Mentor was run first, I was saying all the teams they played in the finals were RUN FIRST. You play football in Ohio. Running the ball in November and December wins. If the mentor teams that made the finals ran 50% of the time as an offense they’d have 2 state championships, minimum.

It sounds like Chardon will be facing a D1 level team from Naples in week 3. Should be a good test. I believe they have a few star rated players.

I wasn’t saying Mentor was run first, I was saying all the teams they played in the finals were RUN FIRST. You play football in Ohio. Running the ball in November and December wins. If the mentor teams that made the finals ran 50% of the time as an offense they’d have 2 state championships, minimum.
Mentor has scored plenty to win state titles. The issue has been defense. Running the ball more wouldn't solve that problem. We scored plenty except when playing a way better St X team in 2007

Has anyone seen the past two Chardon / Mentor scrimmages as well as today? I'm interested in your perspective of how this Chardon team compares to their past two teams.

Last edited:
Chardon Oline was way better than ours. Dlines both had some solid plays and some mistakes.

Mentor isn't preparing for a wing t. D1 you simply don't play against that. Even running teams it's more complex. With our crappy coaching on defense along with that , I expected choppy stuff early. Later they adjusted and played better though.

Mentor has to work on blocking the most. And hopefully have a kicker since we lost one to Chardon. Hard to tell when he had no room to kick the field goal today
I was hoping some oline guys were out..

If not they better improve
Chardon was by far the better team in all phases tonight. I was hoping to see more from Mentor but it was just not there. I do like the QB for Mentor, he will be a great one. It would help his cause if he could get some blocking and WR’s that want to catch the ball. Credit to Chardon’s defense for all the havoc they caused to that Mentor O. The Chardon D is solid!
On offense Chardon needs to clean up the false starts and fumbled snaps. That said, they were still able to move the ball without any issues. I know it was just a scrimmage but where were the Mentor fans? They didn’t show.

Don’t sleep on D2 Riverside! They will be a HUGE issue for Mentor this year. Good luck!

No, offense is not and has not been the issue. The issue historically has been the lack of commitment to defense.
Is that something we can agree upon Mentorgrad 2002?

Chardon was by far the better team in all phases tonight. I was hoping to see more from Mentor but it was just not there. I do like the QB for Mentor, he will be a great one. It would help his cause if he could get some blocking and WR’s that want to catch the ball. Credit to Chardon’s defense for all the havoc they caused to that Mentor O. The Chardon D is solid!
On offense Chardon needs to clean up the false starts and fumbled snaps. That said, they were still able to move the ball without any issues. I know it was just a scrimmage but where were the Mentor fans? They didn’t show.

Don’t sleep on D2 Riverside! They will be a HUGE issue for Mentor this year. Good luck!
Lol. It was a 10-7 game and Mentor had a field goal blocked from chip shot range . ...

Chardon was actually stopped plenty and had to work for their points hard. Didn't move down the field at will at all. Stop lying

Chardon fans show a lot of bravado for a fricken scrimmage especially from a program that won't play Mentor in the regular season after a historic blowout and another loss and then tucking tail. Couple johnny come lately types though. The OP has been here for over 20 years and is more logical

Look I cheer for you guys at d3 level. Have plenty of years before your last two state titles too btw. I'd be happy with Chardon, Kirtland , Perry etc winning every year. Different levels and not our competition so why not. But let's stop acting like it's the same level. It's different levels of football.

Don't need lectures from chardon guys in what to do. Mentor has been way more consistent over the last 20 years at a higher level. And all of us have been plenty critical when needed on parts of our program

Last edited:
It sure looks like it was the same level tonight. Read in the News Herald article that Chardon started 2 sophomores and a freshman on the OL. Yikes